Hummmmm

Marzoom

n00b
Joined
Jan 15, 2017
Messages
25
I have a hum sound through my 5.1 setup, tried different power outlet and still getting a hum that I hear while computer is shut down.

Any thoughts as to why? I've check all my connections and they all are as they should be connected.
 
Sorry forgot to mention all that.
It's connected via the mother board audio which is a Gigabyte gaming 7 board. Seems like it just recently started to hum as in a bad ground but I have recheck my connections.

Could it possibly be a bad cable extension as I had to use three of them, the 3.5mm kind.
 
Does it hum when plugged into another input like a cell phone? (not iPhone 7)
 
Sorry forgot to mention all that.
It's connected via the mother board audio which is a Gigabyte gaming 7 board. Seems like it just recently started to hum as in a bad ground but I have recheck my connections.

Could it possibly be a bad cable extension as I had to use three of them, the 3.5mm kind.

if you're distance is long.. you'll get noise. i had the same problem with a long 3.5mm run. I ended up using cat5 audio baluns and noise disappeared. I have now moved to optical to the reciever but the baluns worked out great.

similar to these..
https://www.amazon.com/HDTVhookup-c...8&qid=1486167169&sr=8-13&keywords=audio+balun
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah maybe my cables are too long but as said earlier, seems like it just started no so long ago with same setup.
 
maybe try a ferrite choke. they've helped me eliminate hummmmm....

 
I think I figure it out finally. It appears my sub is the problem afterall. Time for a new set.
 
I think I figure it out finally. It appears my sub is the problem afterall. Time for a new set.
Just curious, what sub do you have?

I bought a Dayton 12" sub from Parts Express, after some years it developed an issue where the sub itself would hum when the integrated amp went into standby. I did a google search and found that they had a recall for this and were fixing the problem for free, that was at least a year or two before I decided to pursue the issue but I emailed them anyway; I think the deal came to me paying shipping there, they fixed it and sent it back.

Might want to see if the manufacturer will fix it or, crack it open yourself and see if there aren't any simply components, like bulging capacitors, that you could replace... or leave it as-is and use it as an excuse to buy new stuff (a reasonable option!).
 
Mine is the one that makes up the set which is Logitech 530 5.1.
I don't hear it if I keep the sub volume down which if fine as it still produces plenty of bass still.
 
Back
Top