• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HTPC questions/advice

rhouck,
Thanks for the info. I'll have to play with xbmc more once the new parts get here. I didn't have a problem playing anything I thew at it last night on my current rig (first post in this thread), including 1080p and 720p .mkv's. IQ looks fantastic as normal. Not sure what I should or should not be seeing.

In all honesty, neither do I :p I don't have the best TV in the world but it's certainly decent... and 1080p plays fine and looks great even without hardware acceleration. Yes the cpu usage is higher (at least I assume it is) but obviously not enough to affect playback. I've had ripbot encoding in the background while watching movies and it doesn't affect it all... Maybe there's some super bitrate movie out there that will cause my system to stumble without HA but I haven't found it yet :)
 
In all honesty, neither do I :p I don't have the best TV in the world but it's certainly decent... and 1080p plays fine and looks great even without hardware acceleration. Yes the cpu usage is higher (at least I assume it is) but obviously not enough to affect playback. I've had ripbot encoding in the background while watching movies and it doesn't affect it all... Maybe there's some super bitrate movie out there that will cause my system to stumble without HA but I haven't found it yet :)

I'm the same way. There are a bunch of people out there crying about CPU usage without HA, but most of the processors out there can handle the extra push while doing other things.
 
Maybe there's some super bitrate movie out there that will cause my system to stumble without HA but I haven't found it yet :)
Sounds like you're watching lower profile lower reference frame movies. I have some my i7 will choke on in some parts without hardware acceleration.
 
Sounds like you're watching lower profile lower reference frame movies. I have some my i7 will choke on in some parts without hardware acceleration.

WTF are you watching lol. My old system (Q9650,8gb, etc) played Blu-Ray/HD-DVD from disc and didn't choke...

Then again, I don't know i powerDVD uses HA by default or not.
 
I use a Q6600 and play BluRay from discs and it doesn't choke. Onboard Intel 4500HD chipset. 4GB ram. HD-DVD and BluRays both are just fine. Played in PowerDVD and now Total Media Theatre.
 
Without hardware acceleration, try some L5.1 16+ ref frame video from a RED camera using FFDshow. ;)
 
Without hardware acceleration, try some L5.1 16+ ref frame video from a RED camera using FFDshow. ;)

Recommend some movies! :p I actually am curious which ones can cause this is I'd rather find out ahead of time than thinking I need to troubleshoot a different issue when I get a stutter.

I have Netflix so even if it's a terrible movie, it doesn't bother me to rent it :p I can try it with a disc converted using MakeMKV (since both PDVD and TMT will use hardware acceleration if played from the disc, correct?)

Is there a list somewhere of which movies fit your criteria?
 
Back
Top