HTPC question for Media Portal Users

neoice

Gawd
I currently am running an HTPC setup using the Media Portal Setup/Software. Im running out of Storage and HD space in my HTPC.

My question is, Does/Will media portal run off and pull data from a Server style enviroment. Can i use the Media Portal Front end App and then have it setup to pull the data from the file server over the network and stream through my HTPC. Does anyone use this type of setup and do they see any kind of lag/stuttering etc. I mainly am playing MKV's 720p under 5gb in size..

Thanks
B

PS was thinking of upgrading the X2-4200 thats in there with something faster, Would i be ok putting that chip in the file server and upgrading the HTPC chip or vice versa

Wow, it took me a few minutes to figure out what you wanted to do.

So, let me get this straight.
1.) How does MP function when it's pulling it's media from a server?
2.) Can it even do this?
3.) How about with 720p videos?
4.) Specs for the server?

Sound about right?

1.) Yes. It functions all the same, just make sure you have assignable drive letters for the networked share so it's easier to setup.

2.)Performance depends on network. Wired is best and you want 802.11n gear.

3.) Yes.

4.) My server which streams media to all my systems is running on a gigabit switch and using a Celeron-L 440 and a 945g based mobo with two gigs of memory (the mobo is pulled from a KPC).

802.11g is "enough" to watch 720p movies. But movie selection will be quite sluggish.

So consider 100baseT as the bare minimum for good performance.

Thanks for the reply, i guess i should have asked it a little diffrently...:cool:

What about 1080p files over wired 802.11n? And also, would a container such as mkv have to be converted on the fly or would it be directly streamed? If it is converted, is it done server-side or on the frontend?

What about 1080p files over wired 802.11n? And also, would a container such as mkv have to be converted on the fly or would it be directly streamed? If it is converted, is it done server-side or on the frontend?

820.11n is a wireless standard. You're basically asking over "wired wireless" :confused:

In a LAN, wired or wireless, all files will be directly streamed.

820.11n is a wireless standard. You're basically asking over "wired wireless" :confused:

In a LAN, wired or wireless, all files will be directly streamed.

You just follow me around answering all my questions. :) Thanks for clearing things up.

Just to add, there is no need to map a drive letter - just get the network path you want and add it in the MP config.

I don't use my HTPC's hard drive for anything except booting and timeshifting - everything is streamed off my server. I ran Cat5e to my lounge room so it's on my gigabit switch.

Just to add, there is no need to map a drive letter - just get the network path you want and add it in the MP config.

I don't use my HTPC's hard drive for anything except booting and timeshifting - everything is streamed off my server. I ran Cat5e to my lounge room so it's on my gigabit switch.

Thats the way im going to have it setup, as well once i get the file server built , now my next question would be, How good does that file server need to be, can i use just a inexpensive single core cpu and 1 gig of ram. It will be used only store data backups and movies.tv show storage.

Back