HTPC, print server, file server, etc.

M4573R

Gawd
I'm looking to build a simple little box to run in the corner 24/7 to use as print/file/minecraft server and what not. I'd like it to not take up much space, or take much power (kind of the idea of an HTPC). However I've only ever kept up with high end gaming hardware. I don't know where to start when concerned power and efficiency. I've been reading about ATOM processors, and low power AMD processors, but haven't found much info. What size of power supply should I be able to get away with? Sub 300 watt? Would an ATOM run something like minecraft for 6 people? Do WD caviar green drives work well for raid? So many questions my head is spinning. I found a few pages in my googling where people were building cheap, low power systems, but they were all from a few years ago. I'd love some advice! :D

I build a fair number of these - how much space do you need?

What OS are you going to run?

I'd like to not pay for an os, and was planning on using some variant of linux. I don't think it would need much space since it would be for backup, but it would be nice to have it capable of adding more drives later. I was thinking just 1TB would be more than enough.

Help us out by answering the questions listed in the "Asking for Build Help?" sticky. Even if you aren't ready to buy anything now, those questions will help us in figuring out the best way to meet your demands.

Having said all of that, you're asking for quite a lot from this system. What's the priority: low cost, low power, or heavy multi-tasking? (Pick any two.)

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Minecraft server, print server, file backup, possibly HTPC in the future. Low cost and low power are the main priorities. 99% of the time it will be running a Minecraft server with 5+ people.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
200-300, tax / shipping not included
3) Where do you live?
Washington
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc.
Case and everything in it.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
I have a 500 gb harddrive I could reuse.
6) Will you be overclocking?
No
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Will share monitor with my main rig.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
No rush, but theres no need to wait for new parts coming out.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support?
Just raid. I'll be using integrated graphics.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS?
Ubuntu possibly. 64-bit.

This is what I've thrown together not knowing what is overkill / what isn't:
1TB caviar green:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136490 $65
GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-UD2H:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128445 $90
Antec Earthwatts 380:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033 $45
4GB 1333 Mushkin:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146740 $45
AMD X2 250:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103903 $61

Total: $306 - no case yet.

Alternatively:
Antec NSK1380 Black/ Silver Steel MicroATX:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129038 $120

Total: $381 (More than I want to spend, the case that comes with the 350 might be nice)

Last edited:
Ok, if you want low costs, then you really should be using Newegg's CPU + mobo combo deals. Unfortunately you asked for advice on the day that all of Newegg's February combo deals expire. Not to mention that it takes about a week, sometimes less, for the next month's combo deals to fully flesh out/show up.

So please bump this thread up in a week and by then we should know what Newegg combo deals are available and therefore save you money.

But one comment about that planned system: both the CPU and mobo are both poor choices for the money even without combo deals in mind.

And to answer some of your other questions:
- That Antec EA380 PSU will be enough. However it may not be the best deal a week from now
- WD Caviar Green Drives work well for RAID if you're using Linux MDADM RAID or any non-Windows software based RAID. Any other form or method of RAID (Windows software RAID, fakeRAID i.e the ones on most motherboards, or a true hardware RAID controller), it's a poor choice.
- I don't think an Atom setup will be enough for your usage scenario

Looks like new newegg combos are up. I've modified the build since last post.

Not all of them are up. Like I said: It usually takes a week for the majority of combos to show up.

I noticed a good amount of combos with the motherboard, but the processors are all overkill.

I recently purchased one of these plus an additional 2Tb drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=acer_aspire_easystore-_-59-321-014-_-Product

It is working out great for me, pretty quiet, small foot print, expandable and plenty powerful for my needs.

I went ahead and installed hMailServer, roundcube, wordpress, utorrent web UI and use it as a testing box for some of the web stuff I do. I am able to stream HD video from it to my PCs with no problem over the onboard gigabit ethernet.

You mentioned not wanting to pay for an OS, but WHS is included in the acer box. It is also capable of running freeNAS with a little bit of work.

That looks like a nice package, but I'd like to try and not spend that much. Also, I'm not sure the processor will end up filling my demands :p

That looks like a nice package, but I'd like to try and not spend that much. Also, I'm not sure the processor will end up filling my demands :p

I jsut did a little server into Minecraft & its requirements.. it seems alog of people are using old single core p4's under 2ghz so it doesnt take much. Seems that the most important thing is ram. Another thought is the newly released amd Zocate boards.. basically amd's answer to the atom & they basically stomp the atom. There a bit more expensive but you can get them pretty feature filled for 150 & then 8gb ram for another 80 & I imagine you would be set.
Also fast HDD access seems to be another high recommendation for a MineCraft server.

The zacate boards look sort of appealing. Would that be better than this setup?

Antec NSK1380 Black/ Silver Steel MicroATX Cube Computer Case 350W Power Supply
$119.99
BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$59.99
AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor (can be unlocked to dual core)
$37.99
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
$42.99
Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal
$64.99

Total: $325.95

The zacate boards look sort of appealing. Would that be better than this setup?

$119.99
BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$59.99
AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor (can be unlocked to dual core)
$37.99
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
$42.99
Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal
$64.99

Total: $325.95

The zocate is a guarantee'd dual core while there is no guarantee that that sempron will unlock (the success rate for unlocking doesn't seem to be as high now as it used to be). But assuming that the sempron does unlock it will certainly have more raw power then the zocate. That said it will also use more power (if it unlocks it will be at 65w tdp compared to the zocates I believe 18w). Which also turns into more heat & more fan noise getting rid of that heat. I would also drop the greed HDD in favor of a 1tb samsung f3 for 10 bucks less. Given that the HDD can be an issue for a minecraft server I would go for the much faster yet cheaper HDD even at a little more power used.

What about a good old caviar black? And I was wondering about the success rate of unlocking. The Zacate boards would be more expensive, but maybe it's worth it?

This is a tiny bit more expensive (if I got samsung f3 on previous build), but would take less power. As long as the Zacate can run a minecraft server with 5 or 6 people, then it should be fine.

$119.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
$54.99

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit
$44.99

ASRock E350M1 AMD Zacate E350 (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD A50M Hudson M1 Mini ITX
$109.99

Total: 329.96 (shipping is another 22.72)

This is a tiny bit more expensive (if I got samsung f3 on previous build), but would take less power. As long as the Zacate can run a minecraft server with 5 or 6 people, then it should be fine.

$119.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
$54.99

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit
$44.99

ASRock E350M1 AMD Zacate E350 (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD A50M Hudson M1 Mini ITX
$109.99

Total: 329.96 (shipping is another 22.72)

How many total HDD are you going to have? If you think your going to stay at one I would reccomend this case instead. Way smaller and can be easily shoved out of the way.

Here is a possibility (spec'd with MSI board since its in stock & the asrock is not)

130 MSI E350IS-E45 AMD Zacate E350
64 Habey EMC-600B
40 G.SKILL Value Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
120 HITACHI Deskstar 7K2000 HDS722020ALA330 (0F10311) 2TB 7200 RPM

353.96 before shipping as spc'd (& difference in motherboard is 20 bucks of the difference).
and only 13.80 shipping.

Will perform equal to the above, except smaller case (alot smaller) and has a 2tb HDD to start with. Takes away the possibility of later adding multiple drives so duplication is out (other then external). you can also just change the case/psu combo to the little one I linked & have the extra for another 4gb ram to make sure that your server is never starved of ram.

Another option with the little case is to go with a 2.5" hdd so that you can squeeze 2 in there. I Dont know hoe fast you plan to fill everything up, but you can probably get away with a 500gb or 640gb 7200 rpm samsung mp4 drive for now & then later as larger capacities become available add a 2nd internal slow 2.5" drive for bulk storage.

Or the best performance short of going SSD (which is way out of budget for any decent capacity) would be a pair of smaller drives in raid 0. If you do that just make sure nothing mission critical is stored on the server without being backed up somewhere (a standard 2tb+ external drive would do well) and still be much smaller & quieter then the antec.

I was planning on doing raid5, thats why I chose that case. It was the cheapest one I could find to hold the parts and 3 drives.
Newegg says the asrock is in-stock for me :/

Back