HTPC DVR that would work with Comcast

techie81

[H]ard for [H]ardware
I want to build a simple pc with a TV turner card so I can record shows on cable. I currently have a Comcast HD box without a DVR.

What TV Turner card would you guys recommend? I probably need something that can record two shows at once.

I also need something that will record in HD if possible.

How would something like this physically get hooked up?

Centon Makes the only currently in production CableCard TV Tuner & its a quad & in short supply..

Is there a way to hook up a HTPC from the comcast box just so I can use it as a DVR?

For example, something like: Cable --> Comcast Box --> HTPC --> TV

the only way to do that is using the "old school" method with the IR blaster. you have 3 options

1) old school ir blaster method - gets all the channels but is "analog"

2) get a tuner card that supports a cable card - expensive tuner, and you must rent the cable card from comcast, but you will get everything and have the best experience

3) get a clear QAM tuner and DVR only the broadcast channels - best solution, but you only can DVR the free broad cast channels.

Is there a way to hook up a HTPC from the comcast box just so I can use it as a DVR?

For example, something like: Cable --> Comcast Box --> HTPC --> TV

You can also do this with a Hauppauge HD-PVR. It has component inputs so you can connect your Comcast box to it and then control it with Windows 7 MC. I think the setup can be quite messy (though I'm not sure) but it is doable.

Back