HTPC DVR that would work with Comcast

techie81

[H]ard for [H]ardware
I want to build a simple pc with a TV turner card so I can record shows on cable. I currently have a Comcast HD box without a DVR.

What TV Turner card would you guys recommend? I probably need something that can record two shows at once.

I also need something that will record in HD if possible.

How would something like this physically get hooked up?

bastage

Pics of your wife?
Centon Makes the only currently in production CableCard TV Tuner & its a quad & in short supply..

techie81

[H]ard for [H]ardware
Is there a way to hook up a HTPC from the comcast box just so I can use it as a DVR?

For example, something like: Cable --> Comcast Box --> HTPC --> TV

af22

Gawd
the only way to do that is using the "old school" method with the IR blaster. you have 3 options

1) old school ir blaster method - gets all the channels but is "analog"

2) get a tuner card that supports a cable card - expensive tuner, and you must rent the cable card from comcast, but you will get everything and have the best experience

3) get a clear QAM tuner and DVR only the broadcast channels - best solution, but you only can DVR the free broad cast channels.

nite0

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there a way to hook up a HTPC from the comcast box just so I can use it as a DVR?

For example, something like: Cable --> Comcast Box --> HTPC --> TV

You can also do this with a Hauppauge HD-PVR. It has component inputs so you can connect your Comcast box to it and then control it with Windows 7 MC. I think the setup can be quite messy (though I'm not sure) but it is doable.