- Joined
- Jun 9, 2003
- Messages
- 7,100
Evening everyone. I'm considering building a HTPC and just want to ensure I've not overlooked anything in my current plans.
Goals - I want a box that can primarily, play (and perhaps download) all sorts of HD content from local or web sources. I want wide-ranging codec support. Local includes my networked NAS, on which media resides, so I'd like to to be able to stream wirelessly when possible and when not, copy media onto its local HDD. I would also like it to be able to push content/be accessed by "set top" type streaming receivers for other TVs in the house, since I don't plan to make a media PC for each one around. I would ideally like to have everything Linux compatible. It wouldn't hurt to have some light-gaming ability, either.
Secondary Goal: I'd at least like to at least leave the possibility of this box working as a DVR-style recorder, able to losslessly record from my Comcast Cable (Boo, Hiss) Digital, Premium channels. This may not be possible, and I can understand that. I'm open to suggestions however, but I'd really like to avoid having to switch to a Windows/Mac solution to do so. (ie. I hear the easiest solution like CableCARD won't run under Linux because telcoms like proprietary everything, but if there's a good workaround I'm interested).
Hardware: On the occasion that I do decide to make this into a DVR at some point, I've decided against one of those M-ITX cases like the LianLi Q's. They'd be fine otherwise, but they wouldn't have the room for the hard drives or TV +Graphics cards necessary for such things. So, I've been considering either a Box-style mATX or the "desktop" HTPC cases with either mATX or full ATX support.
Silverstone, LianLi and a few others have nice looking offerings. Unfortunately, the price really goes through the roof for those that include LCD displays. Does anyone know how these LCDs work? For instance, do they show up as a secondary display? Are they completely self-contained and only work with "their" embedded software? Do they require drivers (likely, windows only) to work at all? Etc.. I'd consider getting one, but if they're too proprietary, then they're not much use.
As far as CPU is concerned, there is no need for top of the line 1366-sockets, so I thought I'd go for a nice Quad Core (or 6, if cheap?) AMD Phenom II offering. I'm thinking of going quad for future proofing, in case I DVR the box and it has to actually handle encoding of multiple streams, not just playback. Thinking if finding a used AM3 Phenom II X4 (BE?)and cooling it with Scythe's BigShuriken or anything else that might fit, depending on the case I find.
For a motherboard, I tend to go to Asus first. They have a nice selection of AM3 boards, and I'd prefer an 8xx chipset. I'm not sure if I should go for discrete graphics, integrated, or both. The 890GX/880G with the SB850 chipsets seem to have integrated ATI 4290s that can go into some sort of hybrid crossfire with a discrete ATI card. I could in theory go with one of these to see if they would work for my needs ( THink it would based on above, including things like hardware-based video decoding) and then decide to upgrade to a discrete card later if need be? Or should I just go for a mobo without integrated graphics and simply budget for a discrete graphics card from the start. ? The model itself would depend if the case I decide on is ATX or mATX compatible, of course.
RAM shouldn't be hard and I was thinking the typical 4gb would be enough to start.
Graphics wise, I was considering an ATI 4000 or 5000 series if I went with the discrete option. I want it to have enough oomph for occasional gaming (on emulators, perhaps even PS2/GameCube/Wii emulators, along with MAME) and hardware decoding/encoding. I would think the 4000 series would be the sweet spot, especially as I wish to stick to Linux if possible (ie. DirectX11 isn't really important. OpenGL is better). Is there anything for HTPC usage I'd be missing in the 4000 series compared to the 5000? If I recall correctly, both are capable of HDMI Audio, but its more likely to find a HDMI port on a 5000 series card.
Sound wise, I'm thinking of just going with integrated audio. I can't see spending $200+ on a sound card with a HDMI passthrough, at the moment. Most of the boards I looked at had HDMI built right in, which is good if I use integrated video. What about if I use a discrete card (4000/5000) with HDMI? I've seen something in the ATI Catalysts about HDMI audio support, so I know there is some way that works, but I've never set it up to date. Does the system just see the vid card as an audio card too and a viable output, or is there some cabling wizardry required?
For disk space, I figure to start with I'll drop in a single WD Black. The vast majority of my content is on the network and I'll likely set up stuff to download to my NAS box, so I don't need a HUGE amount of local storage. However, I still want enough that, should streaming not be fast enough, I can just copy over large media files temporarily to play from the local disk.
Wireless is going to be important, as there's no wired ethernet near where this box is going to be and relatives and ladyfolk will have my head if I just leave a length of cat6 along the floor. I've had serious performance issue with USB WiFi adapters in the past, including dreadfully low speeds just copying between LAN PCs. However, ages ago when I used a PCI card, things were even worse! Can anyone suggest the fastest possible offerings today? USB2.0? USB3.0? PCI-E? If you know ahead of time if the chipset is Linux friendly (ie. Intel 6300s etc...) that's fantastic, but if not its cool. I'll just have to check.
Anything I've missed with the Hardware?
Software: I'm vacillating between..
1. A complete Linux distribution. Pros include being able to install anything and everything I want. Cons include the time to do so and configure it all as I like I'll be able to handle any complexity one issue at at time, and for instance, if something is borked in one interface, I can still grab or access the program directly.
2. A Linux distro that is tailored to HTPC, like Mythbuntu. This gives a good place to start without cutting off the user's ability to make their own additions or substitutionss
3. A "MediaBox" OS, like XBMC or Boxee. These come with everything all set up and shiny, but may be slightly more restrictive.
What did you choose and why? Well, I've written far too much for one evening. Thanks again!
Goals - I want a box that can primarily, play (and perhaps download) all sorts of HD content from local or web sources. I want wide-ranging codec support. Local includes my networked NAS, on which media resides, so I'd like to to be able to stream wirelessly when possible and when not, copy media onto its local HDD. I would also like it to be able to push content/be accessed by "set top" type streaming receivers for other TVs in the house, since I don't plan to make a media PC for each one around. I would ideally like to have everything Linux compatible. It wouldn't hurt to have some light-gaming ability, either.
Secondary Goal: I'd at least like to at least leave the possibility of this box working as a DVR-style recorder, able to losslessly record from my Comcast Cable (Boo, Hiss) Digital, Premium channels. This may not be possible, and I can understand that. I'm open to suggestions however, but I'd really like to avoid having to switch to a Windows/Mac solution to do so. (ie. I hear the easiest solution like CableCARD won't run under Linux because telcoms like proprietary everything, but if there's a good workaround I'm interested).
Hardware: On the occasion that I do decide to make this into a DVR at some point, I've decided against one of those M-ITX cases like the LianLi Q's. They'd be fine otherwise, but they wouldn't have the room for the hard drives or TV +Graphics cards necessary for such things. So, I've been considering either a Box-style mATX or the "desktop" HTPC cases with either mATX or full ATX support.
Silverstone, LianLi and a few others have nice looking offerings. Unfortunately, the price really goes through the roof for those that include LCD displays. Does anyone know how these LCDs work? For instance, do they show up as a secondary display? Are they completely self-contained and only work with "their" embedded software? Do they require drivers (likely, windows only) to work at all? Etc.. I'd consider getting one, but if they're too proprietary, then they're not much use.
As far as CPU is concerned, there is no need for top of the line 1366-sockets, so I thought I'd go for a nice Quad Core (or 6, if cheap?) AMD Phenom II offering. I'm thinking of going quad for future proofing, in case I DVR the box and it has to actually handle encoding of multiple streams, not just playback. Thinking if finding a used AM3 Phenom II X4 (BE?)and cooling it with Scythe's BigShuriken or anything else that might fit, depending on the case I find.
For a motherboard, I tend to go to Asus first. They have a nice selection of AM3 boards, and I'd prefer an 8xx chipset. I'm not sure if I should go for discrete graphics, integrated, or both. The 890GX/880G with the SB850 chipsets seem to have integrated ATI 4290s that can go into some sort of hybrid crossfire with a discrete ATI card. I could in theory go with one of these to see if they would work for my needs ( THink it would based on above, including things like hardware-based video decoding) and then decide to upgrade to a discrete card later if need be? Or should I just go for a mobo without integrated graphics and simply budget for a discrete graphics card from the start. ? The model itself would depend if the case I decide on is ATX or mATX compatible, of course.
RAM shouldn't be hard and I was thinking the typical 4gb would be enough to start.
Graphics wise, I was considering an ATI 4000 or 5000 series if I went with the discrete option. I want it to have enough oomph for occasional gaming (on emulators, perhaps even PS2/GameCube/Wii emulators, along with MAME) and hardware decoding/encoding. I would think the 4000 series would be the sweet spot, especially as I wish to stick to Linux if possible (ie. DirectX11 isn't really important. OpenGL is better). Is there anything for HTPC usage I'd be missing in the 4000 series compared to the 5000? If I recall correctly, both are capable of HDMI Audio, but its more likely to find a HDMI port on a 5000 series card.
Sound wise, I'm thinking of just going with integrated audio. I can't see spending $200+ on a sound card with a HDMI passthrough, at the moment. Most of the boards I looked at had HDMI built right in, which is good if I use integrated video. What about if I use a discrete card (4000/5000) with HDMI? I've seen something in the ATI Catalysts about HDMI audio support, so I know there is some way that works, but I've never set it up to date. Does the system just see the vid card as an audio card too and a viable output, or is there some cabling wizardry required?
For disk space, I figure to start with I'll drop in a single WD Black. The vast majority of my content is on the network and I'll likely set up stuff to download to my NAS box, so I don't need a HUGE amount of local storage. However, I still want enough that, should streaming not be fast enough, I can just copy over large media files temporarily to play from the local disk.
Wireless is going to be important, as there's no wired ethernet near where this box is going to be and relatives and ladyfolk will have my head if I just leave a length of cat6 along the floor. I've had serious performance issue with USB WiFi adapters in the past, including dreadfully low speeds just copying between LAN PCs. However, ages ago when I used a PCI card, things were even worse! Can anyone suggest the fastest possible offerings today? USB2.0? USB3.0? PCI-E? If you know ahead of time if the chipset is Linux friendly (ie. Intel 6300s etc...) that's fantastic, but if not its cool. I'll just have to check.
Anything I've missed with the Hardware?
Software: I'm vacillating between..
1. A complete Linux distribution. Pros include being able to install anything and everything I want. Cons include the time to do so and configure it all as I like I'll be able to handle any complexity one issue at at time, and for instance, if something is borked in one interface, I can still grab or access the program directly.
2. A Linux distro that is tailored to HTPC, like Mythbuntu. This gives a good place to start without cutting off the user's ability to make their own additions or substitutionss
3. A "MediaBox" OS, like XBMC or Boxee. These come with everything all set up and shiny, but may be slightly more restrictive.
What did you choose and why? Well, I've written far too much for one evening. Thanks again!