HTC Thunderbolt

My Droid 1 cracked, fell off a 8ft tall later flat onto cement. It has one crack in the lower right corner about 1-2" long, no spiderwebbing, and the touchscreen still works on the entire screen. I love gorilla glass!

I wish the Thunderbolt had Gorilla glass :(

My Droid 1 cracked, fell off a 8ft tall later flat onto cement. It has one crack in the lower right corner about 1-2" long, no spiderwebbing, and the touchscreen still works on the entire screen. I love gorilla glass!

I wish the Thunderbolt had Gorilla glass :(

I loved my Droid 1 the damn think never broke.

I loved my Droid 1 the damn think never broke.

Indeed, still using mine after several hard drops. The worst thing was the full cup of Jägerbomb that spilled directly on it. After that the vibrate motor locked up for about 6 weeks until it finally unstuck and still works fine now, lol.

Unplugged my TBolt today at 8am. Fairly light usage today. Right now at 9:56pm I'm at 65% battery left and that's with LTE turned on. SetCPU profiles make a hell of a difference.

Unplugged my TBolt today at 8am. Fairly light usage today. Right now at 9:56pm I'm at 65% battery left and that's with LTE turned on. SetCPU profiles make a hell of a difference.
I just started using SetCPU. Got any recommendations for settings?

you cant overclock until a custom kernel is made

you can only underclock and i would recommend the "conservative" profile until more development is done

did set cpu autodetect ok?

I have 4 profiles right now. In the future it will be 5.

Temp > 43.2c - 768/245 - Priority 100 - Keep in mind this is the battery temp, not CPU temp.
Screen Off - 368/245 - Priority 90
Charging - 1024/245 - Priority 80
Battery < 19% - 768/245 - Priority 70

In the future if custom kernels make it available I will have a profile for CPU Temp as well.

I use the ondemand governor for everything, but you are limited anyways with what the stock kernel gives you so ondemand is the best option.

My gf has had the phone for about a week now and she said the battery life has significantly improved from the first few days. Shes getting 12hrs+ easily out of the phone whereas in the first couple days she was barely getting 8 hours. This is all on 4g, I had the incredible for awhile so it definitely seems like it has better BL than the incredible IMO.

I have 4 profiles right now. In the future it will be 5.

Temp > 43.2c - 768/245 - Priority 100 - Keep in mind this is the battery temp, not CPU temp.
Screen Off - 368/245 - Priority 90
Charging - 1024/245 - Priority 80
Battery < 19% - 768/245 - Priority 70

In the future if custom kernels make it available I will have a profile for CPU Temp as well.

I use the ondemand governor for everything, but you are limited anyways with what the stock kernel gives you so ondemand is the best option.
Good stuff. I'll give'em a try. Thanks!

Good stuff. I'll give'em a try. Thanks!

On a side note I seriously can't wait for an AOSP ROM. HTC needs to get off their ass and release the damn source code for the TBolt kernel. :mad:

Yesterday after proclaiming that great battery life in the earlier post something I did must have got stuck in a loop. It ate the battery by about 20% by the time i went to bed and it was dead this morning. :eek: :(

I know it has to be an issue in the ROM I'm using. Something isn't closing correctly I'm guessing. I was so tired last night though that I didn't think to troubleshoot it. I'll have to pay more attention as my battery life right now is the same as it was yesterday during the day since I'm at work and using the phone very little.

On a side note I seriously can't wait for an AOSP ROM. HTC needs to get off their ass and release the damn source code for the TBolt kernel. :mad:

Yesterday after proclaiming that great battery life in the earlier post something I did must have got stuck in a loop. It ate the battery by about 20% by the time i went to bed and it was dead this morning. :eek: :(

I know it has to be an issue in the ROM I'm using. Something isn't closing correctly I'm guessing. I was so tired last night though that I didn't think to troubleshoot it. I'll have to pay more attention as my battery life right now is the same as it was yesterday during the day since I'm at work and using the phone very little.
I really like this Evervol AOSP ROM. It runs super smoothly on my Inc. :)

FINALLY! A Phone with WORSE battery live than the EVO! :D :D :D :D

(Although you are running on 4G while all my EVO benchmarks are 3G since I dont have WiMax up here yet (<50 miles away... but not here...))

FINALLY! A Phone with WORSE battery live than the EVO! :D :D :D :D

(Although you are running on 4G while all my EVO benchmarks are 3G since I dont have WiMax up here yet (<50 miles away... but not here...))

Wait what? I was on 13 hours without charging and still had 65% life left. How is that worse then the EVO? My brother has an EVO and he can barely make it 6-7 hours but then again he has only rooted and not done much else with it.

If I root, is the ROM that is available the exact same code as what's on my phone now or is it an early pre-release version? Don't want to root if it's going to contain some bugs.

If I root, is the ROM that is available the exact same code as what's on my phone now or is it an early pre-release version? Don't want to root if it's going to contain some bugs.

If you go by the AndIRC method, at the end of the rooting process you are on the same stock software that was shipped with the device.

Maybe but I'm sure there are alternatives. I think gorilla glass is just a branded version of tempered glass. BTW my D1 never had a screen protector and I always put it in my pocket with my keys and it still doesn't have a single scratch on it. Amazing.

I did a little googling, and it appears HTC uses something similar to Gorilla Glass, but made by Corning. But I've seen different conflicting accounts. Not sure if it is all essentially the same glass, or if different manufacturers produce better stuff.

Something weird happened today. I got a call from Verizon asking if I wanted to upgrade. Never got that before in the 6+ years I've been wih them. I just asked how much for the TB and it was still $250, so I told them I would wait to upgrade.

Anyone else get this before?

Something weird happened today. I got a call from Verizon asking if I wanted to upgrade. Never got that before in the 6+ years I've been wih them. I just asked how much for the TB and it was still $250, so I told them I would wait to upgrade.

I very randomly get calls from Sprint of this nature, but usually it's to upgrade my PLAN (to non-sero) or it's for dumbphones. AFAIK never gotten a call that offered me a smartphone cheep (except the Q, which I wont touch with a 10-foot-pole)

Does this affect root methods? Or does it just allow for better ROMs? I only ask because I was about to root for be first time in a couple days. But might just wait if they are going to come up with a better rooting process.

Better ROM's. This doesn't do a thing to affect rooting.

Does this affect root methods? Or does it just allow for better ROMs? I only ask because I was about to root for be first time in a couple days. But might just wait if they are going to come up with a better rooting process.

Root might still be complicated but once you get it, you'll get full AOSP roms (basically, you'll get updates as soon as Google posts them, rather then having to wait for HTC to push them out to you), you'll get true overclocking and underclocking kernels that can have ultra low voltage to save A LOT of battery, etc.

Tis a great day :)

So does that mean I could upgrade to gingerbread right away?
Posted via Mobile Device

So does that mean I could upgrade to gingerbread right away?
Posted via Mobile Device

That's my plan. Slayher is the CM dev for the Droid Incredible. He is also doing the TBolt. According to a tweet by him (@layherdaddy) CM7 is almost ready to be considered experimental and hit the nightly builds. My only question is whether the LTE drivers are included in the source code. If there is no LTE support I doubt I'll run anything but RUU based ROM's for awhile.

Can't wait! Bring on AOSP goodness and CM7.

That's my plan. Slayher is the CM dev for the Droid Incredible. He is also doing the TBolt. According to a tweet by him (@layherdaddy) CM7 is almost ready to be considered experimental and hit the nightly builds. My only question is whether the LTE drivers are included in the source code. If there is no LTE support I doubt I'll run anything but RUU based ROM's for awhile.

Can't wait! Bring on AOSP goodness and CM7.

Ok. Here is a newb question. What is RUU and AOSP?

Ok. Here is a newb question. What is RUU and AOSP?

RUU = Rom Update Utility - basically it is HTC's way to put a phone back to complete stock. Like Motorola's SBF file.

AOSP = Android Open Source Project - an AOSP ROM is a ROM built directly from the Android source code provided by Google. CyanogenMod is one of most well known AOSP custom ROM's out there and they are the biggest as well.

EDIT: It is being speculated that LTE should work because "the LTE radio is an integral part of the communications chip that it should be included in the radio firmware".

Last edited:
My battery was at 45% after 5hrs, just got off a 30 minute phone call, where 28 of those minutes, the phone was on speaker phone. My phone now has a 13% charge. :(

Seems awful high battery useage, should you really only be able to get ~1.5hr talk time on speakerphone? Phonescoop says 6.3hr talk time max, and 13 days on standby lol. How did they conclude to the standby number? Is it with all connections off and the phone just sitting for 13hrs?

Last edited:
My battery was at 45% after 5hrs, just got off a 30 minute phone call, where 28 of those minutes, the phone was no speaker phone. My phone now has a 13% charge. :(

Seems awful high battery useage, should you really only be able to get ~1.5hr talk time on speakerphone? Phonescoop says 6.3hr talk time max, and 13 days on standby lol. How did they conclude to the standby number? Is it with all connections off and the phone just sitting for 13hrs?

I thought 13 days on standby means the phone is turned off.

So you lost 32% charge in 30 minutes? That seems really high. I'd check the battery statistics and see what is eating up the battery. Was the screen on during those 30 minutes? Are you rooted and the bloat removed?

I am rooted an on the Virus sensless rom. I had the phone sitting on its face so it activated speakerphone on its own. I assume the screen was off. I am pretty sure the Phone had 50% of the battery, but I can't say for sure. It went back onto the charger and is at a full charge again.

Was the first time I have seen the phone take such a hit in battery life in such a short time.

Whats currently the best ROM? I haven't checked Xda in a week lol

I am rooted an on the Virus sensless rom. I had the phone sitting on its face so it activated speakerphone on its own. I assume the screen was off. I am pretty sure the Phone had 50% of the battery, but I can't say for sure. It went back onto the charger and is at a full charge again.

Was the first time I have seen the phone take such a hit in battery life in such a short time.

Whats currently the best ROM? I haven't checked Xda in a week lol

My favorite is currently this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1007394

I find it to be more stable and has more HTC crap removed and AOSP based stuff put in it's place.

I'm going to try rooting mine with a Mac. I've read through the instructions and don't see any reason it shouldn't work.

BTW, running unsigned software on my phone feels like unprotected sex with a new partner. Why would anyone want to run an unsigned ROM with 'virus' in the name?

Rooted - hopefully CM7 or something similarly nice comes along with some Gingerbread goodness.

Probably from a retail outlet, when they get slow they make outbound calls to get business in to the stores.

Back