HTC Thunderbolt

Vermillion

Supreme [H]ardness
Same here, I think the TB was just too big for my preferences when I went today to try it out. After seeing the Incredible S review on Engadget today, that phone seems about perfect for me. 4", 2 days of battery life and still same specs as TB (not sure if it'll be LTE, not a deal breaker though). So if that launches before the Xperia Play, I'll prolly jump on that.

Careful with that Incredible S. All but confirmed that HTC is locking down that device as well.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/03/23/htc-locking-other-bootloaders-droid-incredible-2-could-be-next/

:( I think the days of open handsets are about to be limited to nothing but Nexus devices.

DOOMHAMMA

Gawd
Okay, first impressions from someone whose last phone was the LG Dare:
This phone is ridiculous! I installed some apps to turn off things like 4G to save battery, and I think that, from the level of use I have put it to, the battery life is pretty decent. What does a first time smart phone user do? Install all 3 free versions of Angry Birds, DoodleFrog, Super Sudoku, GasBuddy, Mileage, Maps, App Hunter, Phone Info (Lets me turn off 4G and other features). Link up to Gmail (By far my most favorite feature, along with Gchat (Talk), and my Calendar. Took some video, and a few photos. Truly impressed there, something I really did not enjoy about my Dare was the crummy video, the photos it took were serviceable however.
Now a few things I have been wondering, where does the [H] community go for learning about apps? After the virus scare, I don't want to find myself the user of an infected application.
Is an antivirus program necessary?
One social network I have been super wary of linking to fully, is facebook, as its privacy track record is hardly respectable. But I want to be able to post status updates and maybe upload photos from my phone. What is everyone using that isn't intrusive yet easy to use/helpful?
Finally, I want to root this phone eventually, especially since I am heading to getting my masters in digital forensics/information security and will want to tinker with the phone :) Is there a way to back up the phone and restore it to the default HTC factory settings (with Sense restored ect)? Can I save multiple images?

Thanks guys, I know I am asking a lot, but it is my first time and I am pretty pumped about this phone :)

LOCO LAPTOP

[H]F Junkie
Am I the only one who thinks or has signal issues unlike before with an older phone like the Droid?

By signal issues I really mean that the voice quality in a low signal area sucks. like with my droid I would walk around my apartment and not have any issues talking to someone, with this one I have to stand near a window.

Last edited:

Mr. Wolf

Supreme [H]ardness

Ashton

2[H]4U
Now a few things I have been wondering, where does the [H] community go for learning about apps? After the virus scare, I don't want to find myself the user of an infected application.
Is an antivirus program necessary?

I got a free antivirus that scans all apps as I download them so it's not noticable.

Define "learn" for me. Do you mean "find free apps" or "find out what app X does"? Free apps there are several sources for, learning what app X does then google is always your best friend. Android Forums is another good source, and if it's a customization program/add on or a ROM you might check out XDA Developers

Vermillion

Supreme [H]ardness
Am I the only one who thinks or has signal issues unlike before with an older phone like the Droid?

By signal issues I really mean that the voice quality in a low signal area sucks. like with my droid I would walk around my apartment and not have any issues talking to someone, with this one I have to stand near a window.

I actually find my call quality to be better in all ways versus my Droid.

Also keep in mind that apparently Verizon was having network issues today.

If the Inc 2 is locked down I'll be using my current Inc until it falls apart. Say it ain't so, HTC!!! :mad:

Right now it definitely looks locked down. Time will tell. At least they are just signed and not encrypted meaning it will get cracked.

I got a free antivirus that scans all apps as I download them so it's not noticable.

Define "learn" for me. Do you mean "find free apps" or "find out what app X does"? Free apps there are several sources for, learning what app X does then google is always your best friend. Android Forums is another good source, and if it's a customization program/add on or a ROM you might check out XDA Developers

Keep in mind that AV for Android actually doesn't do jack shit because it has no root access. It can't clean anything. It can only tell you "This is Bad!" and have you cancel the installation or uninstall the infected application.

Overall since these infected applications aren't discovered until after a few thousand people download them, you have a better chance of winning the lottery then you have with an Android AV stopping an unknown malware infection.

Your best defense is only install from trusted places and people. Read reviews. If the app has less then 50 downloads stay away for a day or two. Pay close attention to application names and developer names. Overall just be smart with what you install. If you choose to install Sexy Screaming Japanese Girls and get infected you have nobody to blame but yourself. ;)

soulesschild

Supreme [H]ardness
Bah dunno if its the new Virus rom or Verizon in san Diego, my 4G speed tests are shit atm lol. Hopefully they'll clear up in a few days.

Ashton

2[H]4U
Privacy? You do realize you're using a phone with an OS designed by google?

LOL! QFT. Download Privacy Scanner (think that's the free version's name) and look at all the security and privacy holes (and just how many apps send data back home that shouldnt. A freakin chess game A CHESS GAME wanted to send my ESN, Phone #, and Network data stats back home! This wasn't even a "play online" chess game!)

Keep in mind that AV for Android actually doesn't do jack shit because it has no root access. It can't clean anything. It can only tell you "This is Bad!" and have you cancel the installation or uninstall the infected application.

Who says my AV doesn't have root access? ;)

Though TBH, if it cancels the install, isn't that good enough? Last I checked, unless you launch a virus file, it cant do anything.

T4rd

Fully [H]
Careful with that Incredible S. All but confirmed that HTC is locking down that device as well.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/03/23/htc-locking-other-bootloaders-droid-incredible-2-could-be-next/

:( I think the days of open handsets are about to be limited to nothing but Nexus devices.

Yeah, I saw that too. I'm sure it'll only be signed though, like the TB and you saw how long it took them to crack that. So I don' t think it's a big issue. It is a bad indication of what they might do with future phones though. You know how pissed people would be if they encrypted the Evo 3D?! Lol.. damn.

One thing I would like to know about the TB is, is the speaker on it as loud as the Droid? I was painting today and using my Droid to play Pandora and it was plenty loud to fill the room with music and I know a lot of phones can't compete with its loudness. Can the TB (even with the kickstand closed)?

coder_t2

[H]ard|Gawd
Also keep in mind that apparently Verizon was having network issues today.

Ahh I was guessing this was happening today. I had no internet for hours and was stuck on 1x for a good while.

Does anyone here use an app to locate their phone in case it is lost? And wipe it's data if you can't find it? I am curious what apps people use here on HardOCP. I also need to find a good Golf GPS app.

Vermillion

Supreme [H]ardness
LOL! QFT. Download Privacy Scanner (think that's the free version's name) and look at all the security and privacy holes (and just how many apps send data back home that shouldnt. A freakin chess game A CHESS GAME wanted to send my ESN, Phone #, and Network data stats back home! This wasn't even a "play online" chess game!)

Who says my AV doesn't have root access? ;)

Though TBH, if it cancels the install, isn't that good enough? Last I checked, unless you launch a virus file, it cant do anything.

Just buy the full version Privacy Blocker and be done with all that horseshit! :D I did. Well worth it.

What AV are you using that requires root cause I don't know of any. ;)

If it cancels the install that means it already knows about the infection. Meaning Google has already removed it from the Market. Meaning you're installing an unsafe file from a 3rd party. ;)

Yeah, I saw that too. I'm sure it'll only be signed though, like the TB and you saw how long it took them to crack that. So I don' t think it's a big issue. It is a bad indication of what they might do with future phones though. You know how pissed people would be if they encrypted the Evo 3D?! Lol.. damn.

One thing I would like to know about the TB is, is the speaker on it as loud as the Droid? I was painting today and using my Droid to play Pandora and it was plenty loud to fill the room with music and I know a lot of phones can't compete with its loudness. Can the TB (even with the kickstand closed)?

With the TB though they didn't really crack the signing which is why it was so quick. They replaced the signed pieces with engineering HBOOTs and shit from the early demo TBolt's that were floating around and completely open. Nothing says they'll be able to do the same with Dinc 2 or EVO 3D and I'm betting EVO 3D is locked. We will have to wait and see what happens. However, I am really worried about the future of true custom ROM's.

As for the speaker...I don't know honestly as I haven't tried it like that. With the speaker phone though it's at least as loud as my Droid was.

Ahh I was guessing this was happening today. I had no internet for hours and was stuck on 1x for a good while.

Does anyone here use an app to locate their phone in case it is lost? And wipe it's data if you can't find it? I am curious what apps people use here on HardOCP. I also need to find a good Golf GPS app.

You can get the program "Lookout Security" to locate phones and remote wipe. For what it's worth it is also an AV with no root access. ;) There are also dedicated programs on the market strictly for locating and wiping. You'll have to search for them though as I don't remember their names.

Mr. Wolf

Supreme [H]ardness
With the TB though they didn't really crack the signing which is why it was so quick. They replaced the signed pieces with engineering HBOOTs and shit from the early demo TBolt's that were floating around and completely open. Nothing says they'll be able to do the same with Dinc 2 or EVO 3D and I'm betting EVO 3D is locked. We will have to wait and see what happens. However, I am really worried about the future of true custom ROM's.
A locked/unlockable Android phone is about as appealing as... an iPhone.

coder_t2

[H]ard|Gawd
You can get the program "Lookout Security" to locate phones and remote wipe. For what it's worth it is also an AV with no root access. ;) There are also dedicated programs on the market strictly for locating and wiping. You'll have to search for them though as I don't remember their names.

Is an anti-virus really necessary for an android phone? I know there are some viruses out there, but if you only download stuff from the market which has been downloaded a lot (like > 1,000), you should be safe. Right?

Ashton

2[H]4U
Just buy the full version Privacy Blocker and be done with all that horseshit! :D I did. Well worth it.
What AV are you using that requires root cause I don't know of any. ;)
If it cancels the install that means it already knows about the infection. Meaning Google has already removed it from the Market. Meaning you're installing an unsafe file from a 3rd party. ;)

Oh I did, only app I've paid for except for1 game (Specral Souls... A FREAKIN 1GB DOWNLOAD!!!) I was only suggesting the poster I quoted grab the free one first just to see how bad security is on Android.

My bad, it was AddFreeAndroid that had SU permission, not my AV (that's what I get for glancing at it instead of making sure to double-check)

The AV I'm using also does the remote wipe/backup/locate deal it's called "Lookout" even emails me weekly reports on scans and such.

what? er... *shifty eyes* I would never install a non-market app, no sir, never! :D

lol. Seriously though, lots of apps are not available in the market due to carrier/phone options (Angry birds was one that took forever to show up in the market on Sprint EVO)

Vermillion

Supreme [H]ardness
Is an anti-virus really necessary for an android phone? I know there are some viruses out there, but if you only download stuff from the market which has been downloaded a lot (like > 1,000), you should be safe. Right?

AV is pretty pointless for Android.

1. They don't have root access. This means that the AV can't do anything other then tell you to not install the application or uninstall the application. They can't actually clean anything.

2. If the AV actually detects an infection that means you are trying to install an application that is known to be infected. That means Google has already removed it from the Market. That means you're installing Sexy Screaming Asian Girls from some random website. ;)

Unless Google builds an AV into Android or a manufacturer builds it into Android I just don't see the reason for AV. As long as you're smart about what you install and do your due diligence in researching the application before installing, the odds of getting infected are almost nil.

Seriously though, lots of apps are not available in the market due to carrier/phone options (Angry birds was one that took forever to show up in the market on Sprint EVO)

Thus why we have the Android Market website now. You just push applications to your phone. ;)

DirtyB

Gawd
LOL! QFT. Download Privacy Scanner (think that's the free version's name) and look at all the security and privacy holes (and just how many apps send data back home that shouldnt. A freakin chess game A CHESS GAME wanted to send my ESN, Phone #, and Network data stats back home! This wasn't even a "play online"

Google removed that chess game from the app market it was by the same person with the japanese girls app

Vermillion

Supreme [H]ardness
Google removed that chess game from the app market it was by the same person with the japanese girls app

Ashton is talking about an entirely different thing. ;)

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.xeudoxus.privacy.inspector

Install that and start scanning your apps. It's quite eye opening about what data some applications access and transmit.

Privacy Inspector is the free version. If you want to "fix" the applications then you need to purchase Privacy Blocker which is well worth the cost. I've only purchased 3 applications for my Android devices. Out of those three the one that is an absolute "must have" is Privacy Blocker. The others are SetCPU (which is also free but I chose to support the dev) and ADW Launcher Ex (again has a free version but I chose to support the dev). :)

T4rd

Fully [H]
I was just logged into my Verizon account and browsing through phones to see how much I can upgrade for and found something funny. Reading through the reviews on the TB, I literally, out of 361 reviews (just scanning through them though), didn't see one "con" that didn't list battery life, lol. I figured that most of them just weren't used to smart phones in general. But after reading reviews on other smart phones, the battery life isn't listed anywhere as much.

I'm sure it'll be nice when they get some custom kernels on this thing, hah.

Vermillion

Supreme [H]ardness
I was just logged into my Verizon account and browsing through phones to see how much I can upgrade for and found something funny. Reading through the reviews on the TB, I literally, out of 361 reviews (just scanning through them though), didn't see one "con" that didn't list battery life, lol. I figured that most of them just weren't used to smart phones in general. But after reading reviews on other smart phones, the battery life isn't listed anywhere as much.

I'm sure it'll be nice when they get some custom kernels on this thing, hah.

I can believe that.

SetCPU works on VirusROM but didn't on the stock ROM. My battery life is now through the roof thanks to profiles. :) I'm on 12 hours of heavy use (not including Flash as Flash destroys battery life). 16-18 of light/moderate use and probably 24 hours if the phone just sits there.

Once I get a clean AOSP ROM (CM7) and a LV or ULV kernel I'm betting battery life will be close to my old overclocked Droid.

coder_t2

[H]ard|Gawd
I can believe that.

SetCPU works on VirusROM but didn't on the stock ROM. My battery life is now through the roof thanks to profiles. :) I'm on 12 hours of heavy use (not including Flash as Flash destroys battery life). 16-18 of light/moderate use and probably 24 hours if the phone just sits there.

Once I get a clean AOSP ROM (CM7) and a LV or ULV kernel I'm betting battery life will be close to my old overclocked Droid.

Wow, how do you get such increased battery life? Do you just underclock your cpu or something?

Vermillion

Supreme [H]ardness
Wow, how do you get such increased battery life? Do you just underclock your cpu or something?

Yep, I underclock when not needed. Governors ramp up the speed for me when required. Drop to very low speeds when screen is off. Will get even better with custom kernels that have more then just 4 slots for clock speeds. For example Droid kernels had 7 slots for clock speeds. ;)

groebuck

2[H]4U
I got this this week omg 4g is fast. Overall I like the new sense overlay it runs wicked fast. The CPU is a second gen 1 ghz and it has 768 mb internal. It is awesome..comes with 32 gb memory card too. It is a tad heavy but i really like it.

coder_t2

[H]ard|Gawd
Yep, I underclock when not needed. Governors ramp up the speed for me when required. Drop to very low speeds when screen is off. Will get even better with custom kernels that have more then just 4 slots for clock speeds. For example Droid kernels had 7 slots for clock speeds. ;)

Cool, I'll probably hold off until better kernels come out. Frankly I am a little scared of bricking my phone.

DOOMHAMMA

Gawd
Stock phone in a 3G area, I get around 17+ hours now with my regular usage. I am happy with this. I do keep the display on lowest brightness usually.

Vermillion

Supreme [H]ardness
Cool, I'll probably hold off until better kernels come out. Frankly I am a little scared of bricking my phone.

There is a teeny tiny chance you can brick the phone during the rooting and S-OFF process but that's why you check the steps 3 times when doing them.

However, after that is done it's almost impossible to brick the phone as we have RUU files that you can flash with the help of ADB and it puts your phone directly back to full stock (no root and S-ON). Just like the original Droid and SBF files. :D

Ashton

2[H]4U

coder_t2

[H]ard|Gawd
Do not drop this phone even with a case and screen protector.

Umm, wow. What kind of case did you have on that thing? And how far did it fall and onto what surface? It looks like it fell screen first onto something hard and pointed, versus the flat ground. Makes me kind want to keep the insurance on the phone the whole time.

LOCO LAPTOP

[H]F Junkie
HOLY SH--!!!

Please tell us you had insurance...

How did it happen? I've dropped plenty of phones and other touch-screen devices (hell 2 days ago my iPod touch fell from ~6 feet!) and never had that kind of damage.

I gotta ask.. does it still register touches?

Yes I always had insurance on my phones. I knock it off my desk to the wood floor and it fell on its side not on the screen. And the phone does register touches.

It just sucks that this happen I already paid full price of the damn thing.

Umm, wow. What kind of case did you have on that thing? And how far did it fall and onto what surface? It looks like it fell screen first onto something hard and pointed, versus the flat ground. Makes me kind want to keep the insurance on the phone the whole time.

the silicone cover they sell at Verizon until the outer box was out for this phone... :(

Last edited:

Ashton

2[H]4U
Makes me kind want to keep the insurance on the phone the whole time.

This is exactly why I pay the extra $5 a month. $60/year is a small price to pay to replace a $400-$600 smartphone.

the silicone cover they sell at Verizon until the outer box was out for this phone... :(

wow, go from nearly-nothing to being unable to even fit it in most pockets...

groebuck

2[H]4U
wow you must have hit just right or something - I have dropped mine on ceramic floor - had zagg on it but no scratches dings dents or breaks.

I just set this phone up for my little brother and it is pretty spiffy, I like the kickstand on the back!

Aside from that, at a 29627 address I can say that there is no 4g and worse 3g reception than my pre plus for some reason. I'll try to reprogram it later.

Mr. Wolf

Supreme [H]ardness
This is exactly why I pay the extra $5 a month. $60/year is a small price to pay to replace a $400-$600 smartphone.
I always insured my Blackberries and iPhone, but passed on doing so for my Incredible. Loco's pic convinced me to cough up the $5/month for my next phone.

Ashton

2[H]4U
Something I'm wondering right now... How is it that an iPhone or iPod Touch can spiderweb as bad or worse than Loco's Thunderbird, but the touchscreen will still function fine, but so far I've seen NONE of the android phones work after a crack...?

LOCO LAPTOP

[H]F Junkie
Something I'm wondering right now... How is it that an iPhone or iPod Touch can spiderweb as bad or worse than Loco's Thunderbird, but the touchscreen will still function fine, but so far I've seen NONE of the android phones work after a crack...?
? this phone still works even if its cracked.