HTC Thunderbolt

Wife has a Dinc and I have the Tbolt. Not a worthwhile upgrade for most unless you want the bigger screen and the LTE. Honestly, if I had a Dinc (I came from a Droid) I'd probably just keep it for another 12 months and see what else is on the horizon after that.

I have an Incredible myself and I agree. I went into Best Buy to play with a Thunderbolt and while the Thunderbolt looks and feels like a great phone for someone upgrading from a much weaker phone, it's not so much better than an Incredible that I'd want to upgrade. I'm eagerly waiting for a higher-resolution screen (some of those qHD 960x540 phones or higher), a dual-core proc and an AMOLED screen. The Pyramid looks to be amazing, but if it's only on T-Mobile/AT&T, I'll have to wait longer.

Good info. Thanks!

I love the Pyramid, too. Maybe Verizon will get a version? Pretty please???

Depends on cost. If you want to go cheap then Dinc is the way to go. If you want the latest greatest stuff then you go Tbolt. I find Tbolt's battery life to be OK now that I rooted it. It will get even better once SetCPU has been updated for the Tbolt.

Are the xda forums a good source for rooting? This is my first android phone, and I was hoping to wait a couple months for some good ROMs to come out before messing with it. But I feel the need to do whatever I can to help my battery life.

Are the xda forums a good source for rooting? This is my first android phone, and I was hoping to wait a couple months for some good ROMs to come out before messing with it. But I feel the need to do whatever I can to help my battery life.

SetCPU or Overclock Widget (for roms that dont like SetCPU) are both avalible in the Marketplace.

ROMs, Rooting, etc Yes, XDA has the best info.

And though I highly doubt the Thunderbird has a port yet, I recommend Cyanogen Mod as a ROM, beautiful pure AOSP implementation.

That battery is going to make the phone huge and restrict a lot of use with accessories. But the battery life will be sweet. I think I'm cool with the life as is. Doesn't really seem any worse than my original droid which is great considering how much better the phone is and that it has the exact same size battery.

Good info. Thanks!

I love the Pyramid, too. Maybe Verizon will get a version? Pretty please???

Doubtful. HTC doesn't usually use the same phone across carriers. Probably have to wait for whatever HTC has in store for the future.

XDA is probably the best place for information.

SetCPU or Overclock Widget (for roms that dont like SetCPU) are both avalible in the Marketplace.

ROMs, Rooting, etc Yes, XDA has the best info.

And though I highly doubt the Thunderbird has a port yet, I recommend Cyanogen Mod as a ROM, beautiful pure AOSP implementation.

SetCPU is also free to members of XDA. ;) I purchased it though when it was $.99. :D

There are no AOSP ROMs yet for Tbolt and there won't be for awhile. HTC needs to release the source code for the kernel first as well.

Slayher is already working on CM7 for the Tbolt. :D

That battery is going to make the phone huge and restrict a lot of use with accessories. But the battery life will be sweet. I think I'm cool with the life as is. Doesn't really seem any worse than my original droid which is great considering how much better the phone is and that it has the exact same size battery.

I find the battery life to decent but not great. It isn't anywhere near what my Droid could do however once the custom ROM's hit and SetCPU starts working I think the battery life will become rather comparable.

Damn, I thought it was getting a higher-res screen. Count me out, too. My choices have been narrowed to the Incredible 2, Bionic or next year. :p

Does anyone else remember when a 320x240 screen was considered "high res"? :rolleyes: :D

Damn, I thought it was getting a higher-res screen. Count me out, too. My choices have been narrowed to the Incredible 2, Bionic or next year. :p

Same here, I think the TB was just too big for my preferences when I went today to try it out. After seeing the Incredible S review on Engadget today, that phone seems about perfect for me. 4", 2 days of battery life and still same specs as TB (not sure if it'll be LTE, not a deal breaker though). So if that launches before the Xperia Play, I'll prolly jump on that.

Last edited:
Same here, I think the TB was just too big for my preferences when I went today to try it out. After seeing the Incredible S review on Engadget today, that phone seems about perfect for me. 4", 2 days of battery life and still same specs as TB (not sure if it'll be LTE, not a deal breaker though). So if that launches before the Xperia Play, I'll prolly jump on that.

Yeah the Dinc S looks nice. With that kind of battery life though I'm calling it now: No LTE. Those with Tbolt's in areas without LTE are getting far better battery life then those of us in LTE areas.

I will say this though; I am damn glad I got my Tbolt when I did. Rumor is this Thursday the unlimited 4G is being canned. Those with Tbolts before are grandfathered in. Guess we wait and see if it's true. My hope is that it isn't true. Verizon needs to keep the unlimited data in some fashion. Most people would gladly pay slightly more per month for the unlimited data.

I will say this though; I am damn glad I got my Tbolt when I did. Rumor is this Thursday the unlimited 4G is being canned. Those with Tbolts before are grandfathered in. Guess we wait and see if it's true. My hope is that it isn't true. Verizon needs to keep the unlimited data in some fashion. Most people would gladly pay slightly more per month for the unlimited data.

This is why Sprint and some smaller companies like SIMple Mobile are going so strong: unlimited data. I dont understand why Verizon (and ATT) are intent on going PPB/Cap just as we start REALLY getting where we NEED the unlimited data...

I think that rumor is limited to folks without a 2 year contract. Unlimited data will go up to $50/mo.

Battery life has been a lot better today with a bump charge. After 4 hours, it has gone down to 70%, with moderate internet and app use. As well as plenty of texting.

Got mine and gave my Droid 1 to my dad who wanted a droid with a keyboard but wanted to wait for LTE. I love it so far. Yea battery is sort of a downer but I know in time when it gets rooted and low-v kernels come out, this phone will be awesome. + unlimited 4G + free tethering until May 15th is pretty sweet :D

i just got to play with one a little, nice phone but holy crap it weighs a metric ton! It literally weighs so much I don't think I could carry it all day. 6.32 ounces sounds like it might be without the battery.....holy crap....

i just got to play with one a little, nice phone but holy crap it weighs a metric ton! It literally weighs so much I don't think I could carry it all day. 6.32 ounces sounds like it might be without the battery.....holy crap....

Your not being serious are you? I mean, I know people like light phones, but is 3oz, that big of a deal between a heavier phone and a lighter phone.

Your not being serious are you? I mean, I know people like light phones, but is 3oz, that big of a deal between a heavier phone and a lighter phone.

when you hold it nearly all day yes...

going from 4.1 (Galaxy S) ounces to 6.32 ounces.....big difference, huge, something like 50% increase roughly..... it's effectively like carrying two of my phones in the same device....

DroidX is 5.47 ounces and i thought it was a bit overweight but it was also too big for my taste, the Thunderbolt is deceiving in that it is sized similarly to my Fascinate but weighs double

these are just first impressions. It would be pretty hard to carry in a pocket also. Forget a shirt pocket, and if you wear slacks all day like i do i cant see walking around with it in my pocket. I hope it's sturdy, HTC devices typically are, because it's mass is substantial if it gets dropped..

what the hell did they do carve it out of stone?

Last edited:
when you hold it nearly all day yes...

going from 4.1 (Galaxy S) ounces to 6.32 ounces.....big difference, huge, something like 50% increase roughly..... it's effectively like carrying two of my phones in the same device....

DroidX is 5.47 ounces and i thought it was a bit overweight but it was also too big for my taste, the Thunderbolt is deceiving in that it is sized similarly to my Fascinate but weighs double

these are just first impressions. It would be pretty hard to carry in a pocket also. Forget a shirt pocket, and if you wear slacks all day like i do i cant see walking around with it in my pocket. I hope it's sturdy, HTC devices typically are, because it's mass is substantial if it gets dropped..

what the hell did they do carve it out of stone?

Well I guess to each their own, but IMO the weight is no big deal. I'm probably just biased cause I love it. I do wear slacks btw and have no issues. Although my friends do joke I need to get a shoulder strap to carry it because its so big. :) Although I agree if dropped, it has a better chance of breaking than a lighter device.

Although I agree if dropped, it has a better chance of breaking than a lighter device.

That's what Cases are for! ;) If your really concerned, get an Otterbox. You can drive over one of those things in a car and not damage the phone! (older otterboxes, not the new "rubber slip case" crappy ones...)

That's what Cases are for! ;) If your really concerned, get an Otterbox. You can drive over one of those things in a car and not damage the phone! (older otterboxes, not the new "rubber slip case" crappy ones...)

You can't be serious......the phone is stellar from what I can tell. But this phone in an Otterbox would be like toting an Otter in your pocket.

You can't be serious......the phone is stellar from what I can tell. But this phone in an Otterbox would be like toting an Otter in your pocket.

Security =/= Convenience

I agree, a rubber case or thin plastic "crystal case" is sufficient in most scenarios (though if I was going to be camping or something often I'd probably invest in an otterbox for the water-tight seals) Just pointing out that it was an option. (and a good one too if size is no object, my laptop loves it's Pelican case, I swear that case can handle anything short of a bullet!)

Security =/= Convenience

I agree, a rubber case or thin plastic "crystal case" is sufficient in most scenarios (though if I was going to be camping or something often I'd probably invest in an otterbox for the water-tight seals) Just pointing out that it was an option. (and a good one too if size is no object, my laptop loves it's Pelican case, I swear that case can handle anything short of a bullet!)

Nothing like making it easy to be even more destructive. Lol

I've been carrying my Fascinate without anything except a clear zagg type invisible shield on the back cover only and that's only because you have to set it down sometime. People should respect their several hundred dollar devices more!

I bought a body glove but hate how big and rough it is so I only use it when I'm doing something outdoors.

You'll love it :).

Love mine even more now. I moved to the first ROMs released for the TBolt: VirusROM Airborne. Fast, most bloat removed (Dev didn't remove stuff like Peep and Facebook), no stupid Sense shit and my battery life is a helluva a lot better.

I am in a 3g only area and disabled the 4g radio and seemed to get great battery life yesterday. Although I can't say that was the reason my battery lasted 24 hours. I was at 17hrs before I went to bed, plugged in the charger, but somehow it got disconnected to the wall and when I woke up my battery was at 10% on 24hrs.

Yesterday was probably a little lighter then normal, but I still used an hour or two of Pandora, about 1-1.5hrs of calls, random webpages, Facebook, and games.

I might root mine today and try the VirusROM just to get rid of Sense and the bloat.

I bought a body glove but hate how big and rough it is so I only use it when I'm doing something outdoors.
The only case I like on my phones is the Seido Innocase 2. Slim, decent protection, about $20 on eBay.

Love mine even more now. I moved to the first ROMs released for the TBolt: VirusROM Airborne. Fast, most bloat removed (Dev didn't remove stuff like Peep and Facebook), no stupid Sense shit and my battery life is a helluva a lot better.

Any problems with 4G on the Virus rom? I'm just using adryanlyne's basic debloat but I don't need that sense garbage.

Any problems with 4G on the Virus rom? I'm just using adryanlyne's basic debloat but I don't need that sense garbage.

Nope, although some people claim to have slightly slower speeds over the stock ROM. VirusROM is based off the latest leaked RUU. So the dev is looking into the radio. Could be Verizon doing something shady like limiting the speeds in the code or could just be a buggy radio driver. 4G itself works just fine though. :)

That Sense shit must eat the battery for breakfast or something. The only real difference between this ROM and my original rooted ROM is Sense and the difference in battery life is simply astounding. I bet I'm getting another 6+ hours of life.

I'm in NYC and am using 4g + wifi hotspot mode to get my laptop on the net 8 hrs/day while I work. Totally fast and reliable - better than most hotel hotspots and some business networks. Just need to keep it plugged into power so the battery doesn't die.

Nope, although some people claim to have slightly slower speeds over the stock ROM. VirusROM is based off the latest leaked RUU. So the dev is looking into the radio. Could be Verizon doing something shady like limiting the speeds in the code or could just be a buggy radio driver. 4G itself works just fine though. :)

That Sense shit must eat the battery for breakfast or something. The only real difference between this ROM and my original rooted ROM is Sense and the difference in battery life is simply astounding. I bet I'm getting another 6+ hours of life.

I'll give it a shot, have a NANDROID backup in case shit goes wrong anyway ;)

What screen protectors is everybody using? Not used to a non-gorilla glass screen :/

Back