HTC One Watch Thread

Yeah, I owned the One X instead of the GS3 because of the fuzziness but that's not an issue with the GS4 screen (it has its own problems though).

You can only tell it's pentile if you put your nose within 6 inches and even then only if you know what to look for.

I just had AT&T swap my Note 2 for the One 64gb, and I am absolutely in love with this phone. This is everything the One X+ SHOULD have been, though I loved the poly unibody on the X/X+. My only complaint is that after the Note2, the phone seems downright tiny.

I just had AT&T swap my Note 2 for the One 64gb, and I am absolutely in love with this phone. This is everything the One X+ SHOULD have been, though I loved the poly unibody on the X/X+. My only complaint is that after the Note2, the phone seems downright tiny.

I came from iPhone to HTC One, and I can tell you I am having a hard time using the phone because its a little too big for me to use it with only one hand while on bart..... :p

Well, my original issue was with a Nokia 920, so AT&T swapped me to the Note 2, and after they sent me 3 defective refurbs and a defective new one, they swapped me to the One. After using the Note2 for a few weeks, the 920 looked downright tiny too.

Well, my original issue was with a Nokia 920, so AT&T swapped me to the Note 2, and after they sent me 3 defective refurbs and a defective new one, they swapped me to the One. After using the Note2 for a few weeks, the 920 looked downright tiny too.

Wow, what was wrong with all the Note 2s?

Couldn't imagine being much happier than I am with my N2 right now. But I'm sure a One or GS4 would make me just as happy.

The first 2 wifi wouldnt connect, even to open networks. The 3rd was just me nitpicking, honestly. The final one had a screen that would freak out randomly. OH, and I'd barely get a day out of light to mid use.

I have a GS3. Comparing it with a GS4, there are hardly any differences - w.r.t screen, size, speed etc, all of it may be slightly better, but nothing that you notice or would make me want to upgrade.

The HTC One seemed brighter, faster and fresher. But again I dislike the wasted front button and am not sure about the custom rom situation. It would be a hard decision as I really love the sd card support and batteries, and I also love Samsungs Smart Cover, which IMO is he best phone accessory, but I have he say the amazing speakers on the One are a huge pro.

Also wanted to ask, what is the deal with the One coming to Verizon? I am pretty sure I am passing on the S4, but I am out of contract right now with Verizon. But I am sure I will stay with them just because no other carrier comes close to them in my areas. Other than the One, not sure what else I have to look forward to in the short time. But I do need a new phone lol.

Yup, HTC is just in the middle of closing the USA offices and bringing all operations home, just like Nokia did. See nothing wrong with that.

HTC Asia CEO just quit too. They're in free fall which sucks because One is a great device. I think Chou needs to go and like now.

Also wanted to ask, what is the deal with the One coming to Verizon? I am pretty sure I am passing on the S4, but I am out of contract right now with Verizon. But I am sure I will stay with them just because no other carrier comes close to them in my areas. Other than the One, not sure what else I have to look forward to in the short time. But I do need a new phone lol.

As of right now no one knows if One is truly coming to Verizon.

What a bummer. That really hurts HTC being Verizon is the largest US carrier.
All signs do point to, yes, coming in June. But rumors are just rumors.

HTC's Asis CEO was already on leave for the past two months.

They may announce it today. I wouldn't count on it though. At best it will prolly be a bastardized version of the One that you can expect no future software support on, 16GBs of storage (no SD card support of course) and overall worse design of the One. But I don't think they would do that with the DNA still only being like 6 months old.

Someone did claim to see/have a Verizon One yesterday though. So I guess it's still totally up in the air.

I don't see that happening. Verizon is pretty good about contractually requiring one major Android update for their phones, though it may take an eternity to get there. I'd also be surprised at a 16GB version, given that they already have the Droid DNA. I expect it to be a 32GB version, since AT&T apparently has an exclusive on the 64GB. I expect obnoxious Verizon branding, and slower updates than the other carriers.

Also, looks like China is getting a version of the HTC One with a removable backplate. This allows for MicroSD support up to 64GB. They do mention battery support, but it seems to be like one of those charging cases, where the phone's internal battery is charged by the external battery.

I love Verizon but this stuff does piss me off on how they handle their devices and software / neutering of the phones. But I just can't go to another carrier. Verizon hands down has the best cell service and 4g coverage than any of the competition where I am. Currently I get 4g and cell service everywhere I go.

I was initially going to get the S4 and was hyped about it. But glad I waited to see more reviews and real people use it. I'm just not that thrilled about it. I know it is a good phone, but if I had to chose right I would probably chose the One. Although I still may get the S4 and just root it and put stock Android on it. Maybe then it will be super snappy and not laggy like I have seen.

I love Verizon but this stuff does piss me off on how they handle their devices and software / neutering of the phones. But I just can't go to another carrier. Verizon hands down has the best cell service and 4g coverage than any of the competition where I am. Currently I get 4g and cell service everywhere I go.

I was initially going to get the S4 and was hyped about it. But glad I waited to see more reviews and real people use it. I'm just not that thrilled about it. I know it is a good phone, but if I had to chose right I would probably chose the One. Although I still may get the S4 and just root it and put stock Android on it. Maybe then it will be super snappy and not laggy like I have seen.

It amazes me how well Verizon's phones are neutered. The only "clean" Android phones they've ever offered were the OG Droid (which saw more bloatware with each successive update) and the Galaxy Nexus (where Verizon delayed the updates). Windows Phone has more control, it seems, though I don't know to what extent. And while it's Apple's design choice, the iPhone still cannot do simultaneous voice/data on Verizon.

Best network, worst phones. I guess I could describe my current carrier as 3rd best network, 2nd best phones. It's all where your priorities lie.

It amazes me how well Verizon's phones are neutered. The only "clean" Android phones they've ever offered were the OG Droid (which saw more bloatware with each successive update) and the Galaxy Nexus (where Verizon delayed the updates). Windows Phone has more control, it seems, though I don't know to what extent. And while it's Apple's design choice, the iPhone still cannot do simultaneous voice/data on Verizon.

Best network, worst phones. I guess I could describe my current carrier as 3rd best network, 2nd best phones. It's all where your priorities lie.

Very true. Personally, I just want to phone to work as a phone first. So that is why I stick with Verizon. But I get tired of it by the day. I kind of am waiting for T Mobile and Sprint to roll out their better networks in my area to compare. Hopefully by the end of the year it should be complete.

Very true. Personally, I just want to phone to work as a phone first. So that is why I stick with Verizon. But I get tired of it by the day. I kind of am waiting for T Mobile and Sprint to roll out their better networks in my area to compare. Hopefully by the end of the year it should be complete.

I don't want to go off-topic, so if you're curious on T-Mobile, read this post here:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039900477&postcount=12

Long story short, if you currently have T-Mobile and/or MetroPCS in your area, you'll get improved T-Mobile coverage soon. If you do not have either in your area, you won't anytime soon.

Looks like the HTC One has sold through (or at least shipped) 5 million units.

http://www.businessinsider.com/htc-one-sells-5-million-2013-5
While not as impressive as the Galaxy S4, this puts it nearly on par with the S3's initial sales, which is a good start. It shows that HTC is going in the right direction.

S4 didn't sell much in Asian country, they only sold 140k units for the first few weeks.

The 10 million units are "shipping" unit as in to the carriers or store, not to the consumer's hand. It's also not doing very well in Korea either, which is surprising...:confused:

More rumors of a vanilla HTC One

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/23/htc-one-stock-android-rumor/

All of the rumors, including what one of their execs recently said, indicate to me that they won't be making a "Nexus" like the Galaxy S4 Google Edition, but instead will simply release a Sense-less version of the HTC One. If so, that means no updates straight from Google. You'll get the same Android version available for the HTC One, but in a more vanilla fashion. That may seem like a downside to many, but there are advantages. Senseless would mean a stock interface, but they would still bundle software needed to utilize all included hardware. Anyone who expects the S4 Google Edition's camera to function as well as the Touchwiz model, for example, is in for a rude awaking in about a month :)

This is just rampant speculation by me based on all the current rumors I've read. We'll see what really happens (if anything) over the coming months.

Anyone know how I can buy the HTC One on Tmobile without getting a contract? I want to be able to use their 4G network too (so I need 1700/2100 bands). I already have a plan through them however they will not sell me the HTC One unless I upgrade and pay another $20 extra per month which I do not want to do.

Anyone know how I can buy the HTC One on Tmobile without getting a contract? I want to be able to use their 4G network too (so I need 1700/2100 bands). I already have a plan through them however they will not sell me the HTC One unless I upgrade and pay another $20 extra per month which I do not want to do.
Isn't T-Mo no contract now? The extra $20 a month is for you to pay off the phone. You can pay in full if you like. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Isn't T-Mo no contract now? The extra $20 a month is for you to pay off the phone. You can pay in full if you like. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah I was trying to pay the full $580. Tmobile rep on the phone specifically said I need to be on contract to get it. So they're whole 'no-contract' is entirely false and not true.

No, that's completely crap. Go into a store and tell them you want to buy it outright, Hell, you can even do it on the web.

Yeah I was trying to pay the full $580. Tmobile rep on the phone specifically said I need to be on contract to get it. So they're whole 'no-contract' is entirely false and not true.

The rep you talked to was either at best buy or a complete idiot. When you sign up you don't do a contract, you get an option to sign up to pay off your phone monthly (not a contract) or party out right.

There is no contract on tmobile service anymore.

I've tried it all, I welcome you all to try it as well...

I've called both local stores and while sold out, they still said they can't sell it to me. As for the customer rep, I've spoken to 2 of them at least who both said they cannot sell it.

You can't do it online, add it to your cart and try to get past the 'pick your plan' stage even with the full price at checkout...

I've tried it all, I welcome you all to try it as well...

I've called both local stores and while sold out, they still said they can't sell it to me. As for the customer rep, I've spoken to 2 of them at least who both said they cannot sell it.

You can't do it online, add it to your cart and try to get past the 'pick your plan' stage even with the full price at checkout...

You're doing something wrong. First off, it won't make you select a plan unless you're not logged in. You have to add it to an existing plan if you are already a customer, as you stated.

So, when logged in, go to your line and select "upgrade this phone." Add the HTC One (or other phone of choice) to your cart. It will ask you your current plan, and you can continue (leave as is) or switch to another plan.

Where you're getting held up is that they may be requiring that you select the Simple Choice Plan. Do it. It's cheaper than what you currently have in most cases. At checkout, it asks you if you want to pay for the phone up front ($579.99), or via installments ($99.99 up front, $20x24months).

You're not in a traditional contract. You can cancel or swap lines at any time. However, if you do the installment plan, you will have to pay the remaining balance whenever you cancel the account. Semantically, this is like a typical contract with an ETF.

You're doing something wrong. First off, it won't make you select a plan unless you're not logged in. You have to add it to an existing plan if you are already a customer, as you stated.

So, when logged in, go to your line and select "upgrade this phone." Add the HTC One (or other phone of choice) to your cart. It will ask you your current plan, and you can continue (leave as is) or switch to another plan.

Where you're getting held up is that they may be requiring that you select the Simple Choice Plan. Do it. It's cheaper than what you currently have in most cases. At checkout, it asks you if you want to pay for the phone up front ($579.99), or via installments ($99.99 up front, $20x24months).

You're not in a traditional contract. You can cancel or swap lines at any time. However, if you do the installment plan, you will have to pay the remaining balance whenever you cancel the account. Semantically, this is like a typical contract with an ETF.

I've tried the upgrade route and the HTC One isn't available to be selected, same with the Galaxy S4.... Anyhow changing my plan would most certainly cost more in every case and definitely not worth the cost. I'm paying $30 per month now for data/text/100 minutes...

I've tried the upgrade route and the HTC One isn't available to be selected, same with the Galaxy S4.... Anyhow changing my plan would most certainly cost more in every case and definitely not worth the cost. I'm paying $30 per month now for data/text/100 minutes...

Ahh, ok, you've got the Wal-mart plan. Well then, go here :)

http://shopamerica.htc.com/brands/HTC-mobile/landing/smartphones/

Get either the 32GB unlocked or 64GB developer edition. They will essentially be the same as the T-Mobile version, with two caveats; First, there will be no carrier bloatware pre-installed. Just download whatever you need from Google Play (such as T-Mobile MyAccount). Second, there is no support for AWS HSPA+. So, you won't get access to their 42mbps HSPA+ network. You'll only have Edge/LTE on all available towers, and HSPA+21 on refarmed towers.

Best Buy will let you buy it outright unactivated, but they want $699.99 for it.

There's another trick, though a bit more expensive than what you want to pay. Go online and buy the HTC One. Select the Simple Choice 500mb ($50) plan. They will tell you at the beginning of checkout that you will pay $99.99 up front (phone) and $70/mo. They will thankfully waive the activation fee.

When you get to final checkout, they will bill you relevant taxes and allow you to select full price or installments for the phone. Select full price. Once the phone arrives, call T-Mobile and cancel the new account. You'll pay $50+tax on top of your phone's cost, but you'll be done with it and able to use it on your $30 plan. If they didn't let you choose full-price at checkout, you'll pay $99.99+taxes at checkout, and the remaining $480 about a month after account cancellation.

Anyone have the iPhone 5 that switched? I have the 5 right now. Also I had the S3 before this and I only had it like a month before I had to switch back to the iPhone.

Rumors and leaks from "reliable" sources are saying HTC One is coming to VZW - it has even appeared in some of the systems 3rd party stores use to add phones to accounts

If only they were smart enough to add a removable battery to the rumored sense-less (but fully-functional) One, we'd have the ultimate phone.

If only they were smart enough to add a removable battery to the rumored sense-less (but fully-functional) One, we'd have the ultimate phone.

I can easily get 2 days out of my phone on the stock battery and it's not even rooted yet.

Right, except that removable batteries aren't for people who need to carry multiple batteries around and should really be using a computer. Removable batteries are for people who keep a device for longer than 1-2 years.

The only reason companies don't include removable batteries (Apple included) is so that they can encourage:

A: Upgrades on a regular cycle

or

B: Consumers paying an exorbitant fee to have the battery replaced by the company

The argument that it makes the phone sleeker or thinner is complete and utter bullshit. There is zero excuse to design phones with non-removable batteries. It's a shameless cash grab, going beyond planned obsolescence and into planned uselessness.

Back