HTC Joins VirtualLink Consortium

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Joining Microsoft, Nvidia, AMD, Occulus, and Valve, HTC Vive officially became a member of the the VirtualLink consortium earlier this week. The VirtualLink standard aims to consolidate all the connectivity required for a VR headset into one USB 3.1 cable. Nvidia's RTX graphics cards already support the standard, and with HTC joining the fray, it's bound to proliferate in the future.

Most major tethered headsets require at least two or three cables to work; VirtualLink aims to reduce that to one. VirtualLink is a USB-C "Alternate Mode" connector that will help condense the various types of VR headset plugs used across multiple companies into a single, lightweight cord. This not only makes for an easy setup for your VIVE, but other headsets as well-next-generation headsets included-setting you up with all the power, display, and data you'll need. The VirtualLink connector includes support for four lanes of HBR3 DisplayPort for high-resolution displays, USB 3.1 Gen2 (SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps) for headset cameras, and sensors and up to 27W of power delivery. "At HTC, we strive to make the best VR experience with crisp resolution, audio, and ergonomics for our customers," said Daniel O'Brien, HTC VIVE GM for the Americas. "Through our work with VirtualLink, we are working to define not only a connection standard for future VR products but are also undertaking important work to help to define the future of what VR can be."

The USB-C cable which came with my phone for both charging and high-speed data transfer is so short that I cannot charge my phone from a wall outlet and stand up straight with the phone in my hand. I tried to purchase a longer cable, but it seems that they either do not exist, have a USB-A connector at one end and or are not rated for full-speed USB-C, do not provide full USB-C power, or are in some way faulty.

Considering the cord lengths necessary for room-scale VR, I think the technology has to improve, even assuming the USB-C connector itself is sufficient for the data and power requirements of a distant VR headset. I hope this improved technology makes its way back to USB-C regular mode.

The USB-C cable which came with my phone for both charging and high-speed data transfer is so short that I cannot charge my phone from a wall outlet and stand up straight with the phone in my hand. I tried to purchase a longer cable, but it seems that they either do not exist, have a USB-A connector at one end and or are not rated for full-speed USB-C, do not provide full USB-C power, or are in some way faulty.

Considering the cord lengths necessary for room-scale VR, I think the technology has to improve, even assuming the USB-C connector itself is sufficient for the data and power requirements of a distant VR headset. I hope this improved technology makes its way back to USB-C regular mode.

There's a lot of bad USB-C cables from China. The spec is not like prior USB cables where they could do a crappy job in manufacturing and it'll still function correctly.

Longer cables do exist and work if made correctly.

https://community.cypress.com/docs/DOC-10693

Back