HTC G2

Jshay

Limp Gawd
Anybody get it yet? What are your experiences with it?

I picked mine up last night and so far I love this phone as much or maybe even more than my Nexus One. I went from Nexus One > Samsung Vibrant > G2 and I totally wish I had never touched the Vibrant.

I think HTC did a great job with it. It's the first phone to use the new Qualcomm chipset which will save battery and be faster too, especially with its better GPU. If I'm not mistaken, the CPU is actually clocked a bit lower than most phones coming out these days at 800 MHz, but it doesn't feel any slower.

I went from the TMobile G1 to the Nexus One, bought both upon launch. The G2 looks like a worthy successor and I'm glad they kept the keyboard.

What didn't you like about the Vibrant? I'm trying to hold out on getting a new phone until a dual core Android phone comes out. Expect some in a few months!

This phone definitely looks to be a great Nexus One successor :p

What I didn't like about the Vibrant?
1) The GPS does NOT work. I tried driving to school with it and while on the freeway it constantly detected that I was on the local streets. Either that happens or the GPS just refuses to work at all.
2) When scrolling through my contacts / text messages, it was extremely choppy. I couldn't stand the jerking (no pun intended).
3) The phone felt too light and cheap. It doesn't feel as solid as my Nexus One or any phone I've owned.
4) Can't get into the bootmenu through the phone which means you have to do it through the computer.
5) And Samsung's lack of information on when 2.2 is coming out.

But what I did like about the Vibrant:
1) The AMOLED screen, amazingly beautiful.
2) Out of the box support for many formats of music like FLAC.

I can give up the pros since all the cons are covered by in the G2 :p

wow, reload stock os fromstock rom when jailbroken? wow that sux....

Yeah they said the Droid X would be hard to get custom ROMs on. It took only a couple months. So I expect the G2 to be hacked and rooted quite soon. However, this was a very surprising and disappointing move by HTC.

1) The GPS does NOT work. I tried driving to school with it and while on the freeway it constantly detected that I was on the local streets. Either that happens or the GPS just refuses to work at all.

Did you ever try changing to the recommended settings in LbsTestMode? After doing that, GPS on my Captivate has always worked pretty well. Not sure how the Vibrant differs though.

2) When scrolling through my contacts / text messages, it was extremely choppy. I couldn't stand the jerking (no pun intended).

Hmm, contacts scroll really smooth for me. I'm on 2.2 though, so maybe it was different in 2.1. Can't remember.

4) Can't get into the bootmenu through the phone which means you have to do it through the computer.

Yes you can. I know some of the newer Captivates had a problem with it at first, but it was fixed in the OTA update for the Captivate. Not sure about the Vibrant, but I assume it got a similar fix for those who couldn't access recovery mode.

5) And Samsung's lack of information on when 2.2 is coming out.

Well the Captivate got a 2.2 leak last week that doesn't have many bugs and seems feature complete, so I assume the official 2.2 update will be released in the next few weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I think the G2 is a great phone that's probably at least on par with the Galaxy S phones. Just wanted to address a few of your negatives.

Yeah they said the Droid X would be hard to get custom ROMs on. It took only a couple months. So I expect the G2 to be hacked and rooted quite soon. However, this was a very surprising and disappointing move by carriers (in this case t-mobile).

fixed it because this is most likely the case..........

on a side note with dedicated hw, it's going to be harder for them to jailbreak it....

Other than the fact that its going to be harder to jailbreak the phone. The g2 is a great piece of tech. I came from the vibrant and I was not really that enthused with it after the initial love with the phone. It was really too light and felt like a toy. I like my phone to have some substance and the g2 definitely has that. As for battery life it is pretty much twice what my vibrant got me and that is impressive to me. It is also much snappier. Im a very happy camper.

Writing this on my g2. So far I love this phone. My friend has a droid 2 and is pissed he can't get this at verizon. Loaded it up with my fav movies and even some flash files and its fast as heck! Great buy

The G2 will be hacked soon dont worry about that imo. It might take till an OTA update comes, but they'll figure it out.

It is a nice piece of hardware, but I've gotten to used to my vibrant and the phone is way to fat (downfall of a hardware keyboard). I do miss a hw keyboard for long emails/forum posts though (coming from a G1).

Maybe I'm just not as spoiled by new phones all the time but thinking of this phone is "big" seems a bit crazy to me.

Maybe I'm just not as spoiled by new phones all the time but thinking of this phone is "big" seems a bit crazy to me.

Its because how thin the vibrant is. I don't miss hw keyboard at all. I used to miss it on older phones, but not now. It was useful on smaller displays, or phones such as my touch 3g which were laggy. But on phones with 4" screen, no need for it. I miss my vibrant...

Yeah they said the Droid X would be hard to get custom ROMs on. It took only a couple months. So I expect the G2 to be hacked and rooted quite soon. However, this was a very surprising and disappointing move by HTC.

You can get custom ROM's but NOT kernels so the Droid X still isn't what it could be. Ingenious how they got ROM manager and custom ROMs hooked into the system though. Much respect for the modding community for their efforts.

You can get custom ROM's but NOT kernels so the Droid X still isn't what it could be. Ingenious how they got ROM manager and custom ROMs hooked into the system though. Much respect for the modding community for their efforts.

That right there is the problem. With all of the Android phones I've had, custom kernels have made way bigger difference than custom roms had. When I had the vibrant, non-OC kernels have given me a huge performance boost over stock.

I really don't appreciate how our phones are being locked down these days. From the EVO where I had to run update.zip everytime I access the recovery in order to install custom recovery to install a custom rom. To Slide, where I had to install engennering recovery to do the same as the Evo could. To Vibrant being identical to evo.... all is just a pain. I wish we were back to the good old days of the my touch 3g, where rooting and flashing custom recovery was easy and instant, without the need to actually always run update.zip, or jump through hoops.

Meh, don't feel any urge to go backwards in development progress. I'm totally happy with my Vibrant lagfix'd and @ 1.2ghz, it has a beastly CPU and GPU and aside from some minor software hitches it is essentially perfect. GPS fix just rolled out, and froyo is right around the corner.

To those unhappy with their Vibrant, try a bionix rom.

Question for g2 owners coming from the nexus one, how is flash on the web browser compared to the n1? does the extra horsepower allow for an improved flash experience or is it pretty much the same?

Samsung needs to get off their ass and release 2.2 for all us galaxy owners.

Question for g2 owners coming from the nexus one, how is flash on the web browser compared to the n1? does the extra horsepower allow for an improved flash experience or is it pretty much the same?

Samsung needs to get off their ass and release 2.2 for all us galaxy owners.

Samsung is actually pretty on top of delivering 2.2. It's the carriers that are going to take forever to roll it out to us end users. That's why the dev community is so strong...there is already a stable Froyo build for the Captivate! Once Sammy drops Froyo for the i9000 Galaxy S, it is only a matter of a few days before it is ported to the other Galaxy variants.

Samsung is actually pretty on top of delivering 2.2. It's the carriers that are going to take forever to roll it out to us end users. That's why the dev community is so strong...there is already a stable Froyo build for the Captivate! Once Sammy drops Froyo for the i9000 Galaxy S, it is only a matter of a few days before it is ported to the other Galaxy variants.

There's a froyo leak for I9000.... it works on vibrant, but has many issues. Captivate has a Froyo rom because there is a leak of it. Sure, carrier do take ages to issue updates, but official updates are always leaked weeks before they hit any other users via ota and the dev community releases a working variant with no bugs rather quickly. Samsung has been pretty slow actually, it's already October...

Back