HTC EVO 4G on Sprint

Azazel90x

2[H]4U
The HTC EVO 4G, AKA: The HTC Supersonic. Sprint just officially announced it, Will be released this summer, and the specs on this thing are beast, its like an HD2, but with a bit more oomph, 480 x 800 4.3 inch TFT LCD, Snapdragon 1ghz QSD8650 (basically a CDMA version of the HD2 processor) 1gb of built in memory, and 512mb of RAM, Bigger battery then the HD2, and a 8mp camera with flash, and a 1.3 mp front facing camera for video chat. B/G wifi, 8gb microSD card, with Android 2.1 and HTC's Sense UI. The HTC EVO will use Sprints 4g network, WiMax, and it will also concurrently use its EVDO network as well, which theoretically, means it could use data and voice at the same time :)

htceveo4g03pr.jpg

Source:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/htc-evo-4g-is-sprints-android-powered-knight-in-superphone-armo/

I dont know about you all, But im almost 90% sure that this is my next phone :D

Last edited:
Did you mention that it has built in WiMAX support? Cause it does. And it can turn into an access point for up to 8 devices. And it can record video at 720p, and has HDMI out.

Right there with you, this will be my next phone for sure.

Unless something else hits the market, I'll be buying this beauty, too.

Dam. Will it be early summer or late summer? All I can say is WOW!
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Did you mention that it has built in WiMAX support? Cause it does. And it can turn into an access point for up to 8 devices. And it can record video at 720p, and has HDMI out.

Right there with you, this will be my next phone for sure.

Yea, I didnt mention specifically WiMax, Ill re edit my post. I guess 4g is a little broad lol

Unless something else hits the market, I'll be buying this beauty, too.

Amen, I dont think theres anything gonna come out anytime soon, thats even close to this! :D

Dam. Will it be early summer or late summer? All I can say is WOW!

I sure hope its early summer, I want it, and I want it now! :D

Looks awesome, but no keyboard makes me wanna stay away from it.

You know, I thought that too, Had a Samsung alias, and just got a used droid, and actually, I find myself using the soft keyboard WAY more. Now I use it in landscape mode actually but it works great.

Looks awesome, but no keyboard makes me wanna stay away from it.
After 4+ years with Blackberries, I never thought I could get used to a phone without a hard keyboard. It took only a couple of days with my iPhone to get really good with touchscreen typing. Give it a try. You might surprise yourself.

US carriers finally supporting video calling? Who would have thought. Too bad AT&T doesn't even though there are a bunch of phones available that support it.

My girlfriend has a Verizon Droid Eris and I've used it some, but can't get into it. I have a Sprint HTC Touch Pro and the on screen keyboard is a big no no for me cause it's too small (mainly cause it has a keyboard). On hers the keypad is bigger, but I still like my keyboard much more. I think with my work enviroment a qwerty keypad is much bettter for me too.

I NEED this phone badly, but it is 3+ months away. My 9700Bold BB is broken, what phone to get me to hold me over ? I am on T-Mobile with no contract currently, I could go for the N-One ?

I NEED this phone badly, but it is 3+ months away. My 9700Bold BB is broken, what phone to get me to hold me over ? I am on T-Mobile with no contract currently, I could go for the N-One ?

run a prepaid / boost mobile for 3 months. besides it looks like sprint will continue to have the best contract pricing, so why settle for a n-one and have to pay more for it

Last edited:
Go find a cheap flip phone for 3 months. I'm waiting on my contract with Tmo to finish so I can dump it to Sprint. Was already going to move anyway because of Any Mobile and the pricing. This just makes it even easier to have a nice choice like this. In the meantime I bought a G1 from my buddy for $50 to hold me over. :p

Just got this email too... woot. glad I stuck around.

4G and wifihotspot for up to 8 users. :eek:

evo.jpg

sold, glad to be dropping the outrageous pricing for ATT. This phone will be epic.

sold, glad to be dropping the outrageous pricing for ATT. This phone will be epic.

Amen, The one thing im super happy about with Sprints new 4g network, its uncapped, meaning truly unlimited internet! :D

"Let AT&T and Verizon yak about maps and 3G coverage, we're moving forward with what customers really want -- lightening [sic.] fast internet and uncapped 4G service."

Woot!!!

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/sprint-announces-seven-new-wimax-markets-says-let-atandt-and-ver/

Shit just got real...

I'm due for an upgrade on my Pre in that not too distant future, and if Palm isn't releasing something comparable, good night.

And 3-4 months later, another carrier will have another phone that surpasses whatever T-Mobile offers...

EDIT: Q-Halo types faster. :D

This is the hardware that Palm needs to get their WebOS onboard with. WebOS is awesome, coupled with some hardware like this and you have another monster.

Anything close to an actual release date floating around? "Summer" could mean 4-5 months which is a lot of time for tons of other stuff to come out.

so, it has HDMI out. have they confirmed what kind of media playback snapdragon supports? hardware accelerated h.264 playback at 720p would be awesome! also, i assume it will support hardware accelerated flash as well?

There will always be something faster coming. Just when you wait for that someone else will release something else even faster. I love comments like these.

My point being, just get the Nexus-One if your in the market for a new phone. It is the #1 Android device you can buy right now today. This "Supersonic" might not be out until August/September.

And then I hear the end of the year and holiday season will be MAJOR phone releases, the DROID-2, Nexus-Two, WinMo 7, etc...So why get the EVO 4G, when just a few months after there is something even better, but then come 2011, there will be even better phones again. You can play the waiting forever and never get anything, or just jump in right now and get something today.

My point being, just get the Nexus-One if your in the market for a new phone. It is the #1 Android device you can buy right now today. This "Supersonic" might not be out until August/September.

And then I hear the end of the year and holiday season will be MAJOR phone releases, the DROID-2, Nexus-Two, WinMo 7, etc...So why get the EVO 4G, when just a few months after there is something even better, but then come 2011, there will be even better phones again. You can play the waiting forever and never get anything, or just jump in right now and get something today.

Sure there is always something better coming out, however since Sprint has the cheapest cell plans I do not think it is a terrible idea for people to wait until they can get a phone they want on Sprint service.

Sure there is always something better coming out, however since Sprint has the cheapest cell plans I do not think it is a terrible idea for people to wait until they can get a phone they want on Sprint service.

It is even cheaper:
http://a676.g.akamaitech.net/f/676/773/12h/images.delivery.net/cm50content/sprint/eprp/EPRP.html

When the phone is announced, since I am an employee of Sprint, I will be offering referrals to get the discounted rates above. Realize that we currently do not have a 4g phone plan, so plan pricing specifically for that phone has not be released at this time.

It is even cheaper:
http://a676.g.akamaitech.net/f/676/773/12h/images.delivery.net/cm50content/sprint/eprp/EPRP.html

When the phone is announced, since I am an employee of Sprint, I will be offering referrals to get the discounted rates above. Realize that we currently do not have a 4g phone plan, so plan pricing specifically for that phone has not be released at this time.

that sounds good... but what are the areas that 4G currently covered? is SF bay area one of them?

that sounds good... but what are the areas that 4G currently covered? is SF bay area one of them?

I have a Clear WiMAX card and I was just in the SF Bay area and I did not have 4G signal. The reason I say this is because Sprint is providing the network for Clear. Sprint does have a coverage map up on their site. I'd check there for the authoritative source.

My contract with sprint is almost over and I was getting ready to jump ship, I love Sprint's service and pricing but the phone selection with them has always been pretty boring. This thing might just change my mind.

My contract with sprint is almost over and I was getting ready to jump ship, I love Sprint's service and pricing but the phone selection with them has always been pretty boring. This thing might just change my mind.

A few months ago Sprint had the best Blackberry, Palm, WinMo, and Android devices on the market all at the same time (Tour, Pre, Touch Pro 2, Hero). Plus they had the first 2 WebOS devices, had multiple Android phones when AT&T and Verizon were at 0 devices, and are bringing the first 4G phone to the market. It is ridiculous to say that they have "always been pretty boring" just because they are a couple devices behind at this very moment.

Back