HP ZR24w

I don't know how you guys can stand the brightness below 10, it's so dark for me.....i can't stand it. I keep the brightness at 50 and 50% in the nvidia control panel.
For me it's just the opposite way: At 50% brightness my eyes would melt.
Of course it depends also on your color settings. If you're turning colors down (actually the sRGB preset does that too), it won't be as bright.

I have the colors all set to 255.....
So I don't know. :D Maybe my eyes are just oversensitive...

What I really like about this monitor is that it's sRGB and has good colors out-of-the-box.
I'm not an expert but TFTCentral's calibration settings seem not optimal to me. You lose a lot of colors with their settings.

So I don't know. :D Maybe my eyes are just oversensitive...

What I really like about this monitor is that it's sRGB and has good colors out-of-the-box.
I'm not an expert but TFTCentral's calibration settings seem not optimal to me. You lose a lot of colors with their settings.

I like them, they don't saturate reds like the other settings I've seen posted.

Anyone else now having a hard time deciding to purchase this due too the clear black depth and contrast issues show in the TFTcentral review? I may have to go with the NEC EA231WMi

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/hp_zr24w/black_depth.jpg

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/...tral.co.uk/images/hp_zr24w/contrast_ratio.jpg

Edit: I do mostly amateur photo editing and viewing, never gaming so that is pretty important to me. That being said I don't have that much cash to spring the NEC PA241W or anything like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
....."Anyone else now having a hard time deciding to purchase this due too the clear black depth and contrast issues show in the TFTcentral review?"

I wasn't thrilled but if that's its worst aspect I think I'll enjoy this monitor..
At 1920x1200 with no HDMI this monitor isn't targeted towards video applications. It may not be best for photographic work but my apps are high contrast. Now I've got deeper color and don't need to keep my head in the 'zone'. I've only had it for hours but so far it's displayed colorful pics with no obvious crush of blacks.

I have the monitor and yes the blacks are not extremely black but for the price, it's a great monitor. Just wish i had some more games to test it on.

Well regardless of what you think the TFT Central review came in VERY positive.

So is the ZR24W better than the LP2475W and U2410? - I hate to cop out, but I'd have to say "yes, but only in some areas"....

Basically, yes. This IS better than any IPS in the same price range. The areas where it didn't perform well was in black depths (but only slightly worst) and he is pretty much nitpicking on the lack of bells-n-whistles.
Ergonomically very good, but a little stiff to manoeuvre (I'm nit-picking!)

I was totally on the fence about this monitor UNTIL this review. Now I know what I am doing for my eyefinity setup. Three ZR24w's. Yes the blacks are not great but they are only slightly worse then the u2410 and for the price savings I can upgrade to a 5870. I was most worried about gaming on it and based on what I see its definitely a better monitor to game on then the EA231WMi and just about as good as the u2410. Plus you get 16x10 and more resolution (perfect for portrait viewing)

TFTCentral has made me a happy man :D

Well regardless of what you think the TFT Central review came in VERY positive.

So is the ZR24W better than the LP2475W and U2410? - I hate to cop out, but I'd have to say "yes, but only in some areas"....

Basically, yes. This IS better than any IPS in the same price range. The areas where it didn't perform well was in black depths (but only slightly worst) and he is pretty much nitpicking on the lack of bells-n-whistles.
Ergonomically very good, but a little stiff to manoeuvre (I'm nit-picking!)

Yep, i was happy with my purchase no matter what the outcome but i'm still glad to see it confirmed I spend my money well. I'll probably order another one next month to complete my setup.

When i calibrate this monitor with a colorimeter, should it be set to "6500K - sRGB" or "Custom Color" in the OSD menu?
I see that in the tftcentral review they had it set to "Custom Color".

And should i adjust the RGB sliders manually during the calibration process? I have read in many places that you should never touch the RGB sliders when you calibrate, but many people seem to adjust the RGB sliders?

I really need a answer to these 2 questions, i hope someone can answer these questions..
Because otherwise i wont be able to calibrate my monitor optimally.

EDIT: sorry didn't read the review completely before i wrote this post.
"It wasn't quite as accurate as the calibrated custom color mode however so I would recommend using that if you want to obtain the best results."

But the second question remains: should i adjust the RGB sliders?

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere already, but how exactly do you access the service menu of the ZR24w?

Amazon is now shipping the ZR24W, but their own price is unattractive at present . I suspect this will change. It seems that HP or maybe Amazon itself is currently giving the advantage to other vendors. At least Amazon is tax free to most states (with the notable exception of New York) and free shipping.

I prefer Amazon due to my overwhelmingly positive customer service experience with them on my Samsung plasma TV. My initial set had some screen uniformity issues. Amazon promptly shipped a replacement and picked up the original one without giving me a hard time. I think I did have to open a case with Samsung support but it wasn't a big deal. Amazon picked up all the shipping costs. If an item is defective, Amazon absorbs the return shipping cost.

The tftcentral review pretty much confirms much of the feedback I've seen here to date ... good color accuracy post calibration, but a disappointing black depth and contrast ratio. Their report of 120 cd/m2 at OSD brightness level of 20 does not, however, match user experience. There's always a lot of variability among samples of the same brand/model, but this seems really different.

On some TV's you can go into the service menu and adjust the effective range of user controls. Unfortunately, I don't think you can do this on most monitors. I'd never go into the service menu of my TV myself ... you can really inadvertently mess up your set.

Blackbird ... I would first measure the native white point of your ZR24W in custom color mode after you've set your OSD brightness level. The native white point is a physical backlight characteristic that cannot be changed. It's what you get when you leave the RGB controls at their defaults.

If the native white point is close to 6500K, it's best to leave the RGB controls alone. If you specify a target white point of 6500K in the calibration software, the graphics card lookup table (LUT) will do all the work. It's better not to have both the LUT and the monitor firmware working on the same thing.
It's a completely different story on high end monitors like the PA241W that have hardware calibration with a much more sophisticated implementation of monitor controls.

Have a look at the discussion of native white point here http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Monitors_Part_Two

If you don't leave the RGB controls alone, you are reducing the dynamic range of the monitor.

If the native white point is way off 6500K, you may have no choice but to fiddle with the RGB controls a bit. In this case, making the graphics card LUT do all the work of targeting 6500K may result in unacceptable banding (aka posterization or false contouring).

It's confusing because many of the calibration software packages TELL you to adjust the RGB controls if your monitor has them.

Honestly, this whole color thing is a never-ending learning curve.

Blackbird ... I would first measure the native white point of your ZR24W in custom color mode after you've set your OSD brightness level. The native white point is a physical backlight characteristic that cannot be changed. It's what you get when you leave the RGB controls at their defaults.

If the native white point is close to 6500K, it's best to leave the RGB controls alone. If you specify a target white point of 6500K in the calibration software, the graphics card lookup table (LUT) will do all the work. It's better not to have both the LUT and the monitor firmware working on the same thing.
It's a completely different story on high end monitors like the PA241W that have hardware calibration with a much more sophisticated implementation of monitor controls.

Have a look at the discussion of native white point here http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Monitors_Part_Two

If you don't leave the RGB controls alone, you are reducing the dynamic range of the monitor.

If the native white point is way off 6500K, you may have no choice but to fiddle with the RGB controls a bit. In this case, making the graphics card LUT do all the work of targeting 6500K may result in unacceptable banding (aka posterization or false contouring).

It's confusing because many of the calibration software packages TELL you to adjust the RGB controls if your monitor has them.

Honestly, this whole color thing is a never-ending learning curve.

Ok.
But i encountered a problem when i set my Color mode to 'Custom Color': i can't get down to 120 cd/m2, even if i set my brightness to 0 my luminance is 160 cd/m2.
But with '6500K - sRGB' color mode (in the OSD) i get down to 120 cd/m2 when my brightness is set to 5.
So i guess i'm forced to use '6500K - sRGB' color mode in the OSD if i don't want to touch the RGB sliders?
I have read somewhere that adjusting the RGB sliders can affect the luminance, but i don't want to do that..

When i calibrate my monitor i think the white gets much worse than before calibration, before calibration the white is wonderful white, but after calibration the white gets darker and almost redish.
I got a whitepoint of about 6470K (target 6500K), but a few mins later when i did it i suddenly got 6370K.

And btw, i got a deltaE of 0,5, in the Spyder 3 software they say this: "A Delta E of less than 3 is good. Less than 2 is quite good. Less than 1 is excellent but not often achieved in practice (if you get Delta E less than 1, consider taking a trip to Las Vegas)."

Only problems and more problems with this monitor, i wish i would have stayed with my HP W2207h and not bought ZR24w+colorimeter.

Last edited:
What other problems are you having with the screen apart from calibration???

White is a bit redish down/left on the screen, or just darker, it affects (fullscreen) colors too so maybe it's just darker, but for my eyes it looks like redish. I can notice it in everyday use: Google, Fudzilla.com, Wikipedia articles, and other sites which have white in them.
So my monitor possibly suffers from tinting.
I will soon get my monitor replaced because of this issue.

White is a bit redish down/left on the screen, or just darker, it affects (fullscreen) colors too so maybe it's just darker, but for my eyes it looks like redish. I can notice it in everyday use: Google, Fudzilla.com, Wikipedia articles, and other sites which have white in them.
So my monitor possibly suffers from tinting.
I will soon get my monitor replaced because of this issue.

Getting your screen replaced though annoying and frustrating is the best thing to do mate.

When I first got this screen I was expecting all sorts of problems but I got lucky because mine doesn`t suffer from tinting, backlight bleed, dead pixels or colors not looking the way they should.

Not everyone gets a problem free screen on the first one and the only thing you can do is to get them to replace it and hope the one you get back has none of those problems.

I was totally on the fence about this monitor UNTIL this review. Now I know what I am doing for my eyefinity setup. Three ZR24w's. Yes the blacks are not great but they are only slightly worse then the u2410 and for the price savings I can upgrade to a 5870. I was most worried about gaming on it and based on what I see its definitely a better monitor to game on then the EA231WMi and just about as good as the u2410. Plus you get 16x10 and more resolution (perfect for portrait viewing)

Only slightly worse, what graph are you looking at? the difference between the blacks is nearly the same as that of the best black levels and the u2401

Last edited:

I'd say it's better than the Dell at gaming too. 14,4ms in gaming mode for the Dell means your game has wrong colors and still the screen is slower. If you want accurate colors it's around 30ms input lag.

I just got the monitor. SO MANY PROBLEMS!!!!!

1) Massive zit in the middle of the screen. (see pictures)
2) TONS of pixelations (see pictures)
3) At least 3 dead pixels (unrelated to #2)
4) MASSIVE screen flickering. I haven't seen flickering this extensive since old crt monitors...
5) Lots of backlight bleed through the top, as if the panel where sticking out. If I push it in, the bleed stops.

x2t7vp.jpg

rqvshv.jpg

2qkpkiq.jpg

dcgadd.jpg

It's too bright right now to take an accurate picture of the backlight bleed, but I think you believe me by now.

I've never been more upset with a product in my life. What the fuck did they do with this monitor before shipping it to me... play football with it?

How do I go about getting a replacement? Through buy.com or HP?

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere already, but how exactly do you access the service menu of the ZR24w?
Power the monitor off. Hold "menu", power the monitor on. Release "menu" after 5 seconds. The service menu is now available in the OSD.

Geez, I wish I wouldn't have read that review. I was happy with the monitor but now and eyeballing the contrast and black levels. I don't think it's too bad. Not as good as my PVA but the viewing angle and lack of contrast shift is so much better, I'd still clearly take this monitor.

Anyone else now having a hard time deciding to purchase this due too the clear black depth and contrast issues show in the TFTcentral review? I may have to go with the NEC EA231WMi

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/hp_zr24w/contrast_ratio.jpg
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/hp_zr24w/contrast_ratio.jpg

Edit: I do mostly amateur photo editing and viewing, never gaming so that is pretty important to me. That being said I don't have that much cash to spring the NEC PA241W or anything like that.

wow thats pretty bad contrast / black level readings.. Takes me back to my Dell 2001FP days, Theres just no excuse for this in 2010.

I just noticed that this monitor have a HUGE IPS glow. (it's called that right?)
When i'm in a dark place in a game for example i see BIG areas of "white glow" on left and right, it makes that it's hard to see anything in the game. Like 70% of the screen surface area suffers from the IPS glow.
In my opinion this is a MUCH bigger problem than backlightbleed on crappy TN monitors.
It just doesn't look bad it also affects the gameplay when it affects how good you can see things in the game.

Jeez.. my monitor exchange have already been granted, i should just have sent back this monitor and go back to my old W2207h...

Wow you guys are really picky. Just buy a Trinitron CRT.

Even a guy that reviews/calibrates the best available monitors in the world (TFT Central) says this is pretty damn sweet.

Wow you guys are really picky. Just buy a Trinitron CRT.

Even a guy that reviews/calibrates the best available monitors in the world (TFT Central) says this is pretty damn sweet.

Reviewers get special monitors made for reviews.
Brightness 25% and 120 cd/m2 luminance? ZERO backlightbleed in a completely dark room and a fullscreen black image?
Come on..

I don't think we are picky..
On my screen white is redish down on the screen, i have areas with backlightbleed, and i have huge IPS glow, it's like having 2 suns shining on left and right of the screen when you have a black/dark image. You can see how the white glow moves when u move your head.
I don't expect such stuff on a monitor in this price segment..

Oh yea and then you can't even calibrate it, white gets almost gray when you calibrate it.

Ok i know i'm complaining alot now, but i'm just so disappointed about this monitor =/
I don't think a exchange monitor will fix all these issues..

Reviewers get special monitors made for reviews.
Brightness 25% and 120 cd/m2 luminance? ZERO backlightbleed in a completely dark room and a fullscreen black image?
Come on..

I don't think we are picky..
On my screen white is redish down on the screen, i have areas with backlightbleed, and i have huge IPS glow, it's like having 2 suns shining on left and right of the screen when you have a black/dark image. You can see how the white glow moves when u move your head.
I don't expect such stuff on a monitor in this price segment..

Oh yea and then you can't even calibrate it, white gets almost gray when you calibrate it.

Ok i know i'm complaining alot now, but i'm just so disappointed about this monitor =/

I've also been scratching my head how he was able to achieve the target luminance level with that brightness setting...

But as much as it's worth to you, backlightbleed is pretty much non-existent on my model & it's calibrates just fine, I do have to add that the quality (bleed, IPS glow, ..) of the display *seems* to be variable after reading all the comments. I guess you do need a bit of luck..
I'll order another one next month & i'll compare the two..

Clearly you have a lemon. Buy why do you think an exchange won't fix things? My unit has been fine, and I got it within the first week of release. The majority of people posting here who have actually got a unit have not reported problems like yours. It's not as though your problems were typical.

You have a lemon. Return it at zero cost (HP will replace) and see what happens.

Clearly you have a lemon. Buy why do you think an exchange won't fix things? My unit has been fine, and I got it within the first week of release. The majority of people posting here who have actually got a unit have not reported problems like yours. It's not as though your problems were typical.

You have a lemon. Return it at zero cost (HP will replace) and see what happens.

He has a problem with IPS glow (he likely sits very close) so a swap won't fix that, it is the nature of the beast.

wow thats pretty bad contrast / black level readings.. Takes me back to my Dell 2001FP days, Theres just no excuse for this in 2010.

The guy at TFT central regularly screw up calibrating monitors. They will keep it on 50% brightness and then use calibration software to target low brightness levels, so the software will simply crank on the panel blocking.

This is recipe for crappy blacks and poor contrast.

Edit: But it doesn't appear to be the case this time. I would like to see another test, maybe he got a bad unit. Or maybe HP has weird controls and contrast needs to be at 100. Something is definitely off.

Last edited:
Just got my ZR24w hooked up. Anyone installed the HP drivers? And anyone have any advice on adjusting the stand's height from its lowest setting? The release button is really hard to press.

Just got my ZR24w hooked up. Anyone installed the HP drivers? And anyone have any advice on adjusting the stand's height from its lowest setting? The release button is really hard to press.

Are you sure it's at the lowest stand? It should be very easy to press, also if you put cabels through the hole in the stand to hide them, make sure you didn't put them all the way through cause they could block the screen from moving.

Are you sure it's at the lowest stand? It should be very easy to press, also if you put cabels through the hole in the stand to hide them, make sure you didn't put them all the way through cause they could block the screen from moving.

Hey it is easy to press. Thanks. I tried adjusting the height prior to installing the monitor and the button was impossible to press. Now that the screen is attached to the stand, it's a whole lot easier.

Simply because my monitor seem to have so many problems.. how big risk is it that only my monitor have all these problems..
But yea maybe you are right, i hope you are.

He has a problem with IPS glow (he likely sits very close) so a swap won't fix that, it is the nature of the beast.

I don't think i sit abnormally close to the monitor, if i stretch out my arm fully and stretch out the fingers i can't reach the monitor, and there is still a few inches of air left.
And i'm not short btw.

I need to sit far away before the white glow disappears (but there is still some left),
I just can't sit that far away, it affects how good i see distant things in games.

I need to sit far away before the white glow disappears (but there is still some left),
I just can't sit that far away, it affects how good i see distant things in games.

I bet you are looking at the white glow on a totally black screen. In everyday use, a completely black screen happens only 0.0001% of the time. Don't stress over it...

I've got my ZR24w for a week now and here is my thoughts about the display (camparing to Benq 22" E2200HD 2ms and Samsung 27" P2770HD 5ms which both are TN panels)

+ low enough input lag even for some fps gaming
+ some trailing on fast movement but good overall
+ great colors
+ good stand
+ coating is not too grainy

- IPS glow(?) or backlight bleed on corners (picture gives good idea how it looks to naked eye, just slightly more blueish)
1ghwlh.jpg

- Poor black level (similar to TN panels)
- noticeable uniformity issues (picture slightly edited as camera doesnt show it as clearly as naked eye)
v6tcmc.jpg

Mine doesnt have any dead or stuck pixels but the glow on lower left corner is constantly visible. Now I'm debating myself if I should ask change for the display becourse of the glow or not.

Same exact glow on mine. Top right and bottom left corners. No dead pixels so I can live with it.

I set up one for my wife yesterday. She's got a B2B ad business...color accuracy is very important to her as much of her business includes brochures and lots of trade show graphics. For the last 5 years, she's been using a Dell 2001FP and been very happy with it.
When she sat down at the system last night for the first time, she was blown away.
She loves it
She was very happy with the color accuracy and whipped our some color charts to verify her reaction...probably need to crank down the brightness a nudge but she's very happy...and that makes me happy

The monitor arrived two days after we ordered it from CostCentral w/FS and no tax...awesome deal at $389. I paid $800 for the Dell 6 or 7 years ago.
The CC deal was painless.

Thanks to the folks who compared the ZR24w to their Dell 2001FP's you clinched the deal for me.
Now I want one

Back