HP ZR24w

Just got off the phone with the agent at HP. Placed an order for one and got the free shipping.

Interesting thing is that she asked me which one I want after I gave her the model number? I said what do you mean? She said well there is one here for $425 and another in the system for $500. After hearing that, and seeing the word "promo" show up on the order screen, I'm inclined to believe that these will be $425 for the first couple of weeks and then will end up at $500 MSRP. Of course this is simply speculation, however if they already have two different prices in the system I think the price may rise eventually.

Just got off the phone with the agent at HP. Placed an order for one and got the free shipping.

Interesting thing is that she asked me which one I want after I gave her the model number? I said what do you mean? She said well there is one here for $425 and another in the system for $500. After hearing that, and seeing the word "promo" show up on the order screen, I'm inclined to believe that these will be $425 for the first couple of weeks and then will end up at $500 MSRP. Of course this is simply speculation, however if they already have two different prices in the system I think the price may rise eventually.

Nice info!

They did the same thing with the LP2475w, it's a promotional offer to get businesses to purchase numerous units with initial launch.

This is absolutely true. I came across the non-promo monitor early today.

non-promo $500 :(
http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/Mi...=2953&BaseId=32984&oi=E9CED&BEID=19701&SBLID=

promo $425 :)
http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/Mi...=2953&BaseId=32987&oi=E9CED&BEID=19701&SBLID=

Just ordered one from hp, $450.50 shipped (only had to pay tax). I've been lurking on this forum since I discovered the monitor through accidental discovery via researching the Acer 25.5" reviews on here on Google. Been sleeping on this for the past 6 weeks because of the awesome IPS vs TN debates here. SUPER psyched this screen is out. I, too, will post a review whenever I get it. Personally, I feel better ordering from HP as there was only a $15 differential being a PA resident using Cost Central. Plus the rep said that there's a 30 day unconditional money-back guarantee if I'm not happy. Ordering an HP business product through their business call-in line = an American tech that I now can deal with directly for future reference of this invoice. She called me back after I left a voicemail and sent me a custom e-mail with my bill attached. She sounded pretty cute...think I may ask her on a date.

Well, I hope my $390 units ship soon. They still haven't charged my CC. And I was in well before they sold out. Makes me a tad nervous.

Well, I hope my $390 units ship soon. They still haven't charged my CC. And I was in well before they sold out. Makes me a tad nervous.

you ordered a few hours before me...and when i ordered there was about 5 left according to their stock when i added mine to cart. then when i got an email to confirm my order it said sold out. i contacted them after i got that email and they told me they got a few more shipments this afternoon that that my order "WOULD" be filled and shouldnt be delayed due to stock.i hope they are right.

I still don't know what to do. I want to order it, but I'm just not comfortable buying something without reviews. Does anyone know when this promo pricing will end? I figure that people will receive their monitors at least by next week, post up an initial review and if is good then I'll bite and place my order.

I ordered the Promo deal from HP today (free shipping by calling them, $450.50 out the door) thinking that it was a 16:10 monitor given everything I had read - i.e., 1920x1200. I believe they screwed up their specs when they listed it as a 1680 x 1050 monitor on my invoice, but I sure hope the 'Promo" is a 16:10 monitor. I am a bit of a noob about this, but I know I want a 16:10 for Eyefinity purposes (to "match" my other monitors as close as possible).

I can see from what others have posted here, particularly the links to the Promo and non-Promo models, that they are the same - and presumably both wrongly posted by HP as follows:

HP Promo ZR24w 24-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor VM633A8#ABA
1 DisplayPort connector, 1 DVI-D connector, 1 VGA connector, HDCP support on DisplayPort and DVI.
800:1 Contrast ratio
400 nits
Tilt: –5° to +30°
10,0 cm (3.94 in)
Yes
178/178 degrees
less than 95 Watts
1680 x 1050
8 ms response time
Asset control supported
No integrated speakers, HP Speaker Bar optional
Anti-Glare and Anti-Static
3-year parts, 3-year labor, 3-year onsite limited warranty. Next business day exchange available.
p $425.00

HP ZR24w 24-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor VM633A4#ABA
1 DisplayPort connector, 1 DVI-D connector, 1 VGA connector, HDCP support on DisplayPort and DVI.
400 nits
Tilt: –5° to +30°
10,0 cm (3.94 in)
Yes
178/178 degrees
less than 95 Watts
1680 x 1050
8 ms response time
Asset control supported
No integrated speakers, HP Speaker Bar optional
Anti-Glare and Anti-Static
3-year parts, 3-year labor, 3-year onsite limited warranty. Next business day exchange available.
p $500.00

I will be calling them tomorrow, but if anyone knows that this is just HP screwing up, I would should appreciate some more info before tomorrow. Thanks!

Last edited:
HP has a 30 day return policy. What do you have to lose?

Does HP pay the return shipping as well or is it the customer? I probably will buy it because of that 30 day return policy, but I was just curious about return shipping.

From the HP User's Guide on the ZR24W:

ZR24w model, 61 cm (24-inch) diagonal viewable area display with 1920 × 1200 resolution...

So presumably this Promo edition is the same as the standard.

if 1680x1050, it would probably be the first 24" to do this. I doubt this is the case.

Its not 1680x1050 .. just an HP typo.

I'm excited to see what you guys think of this monitor , I hope the folks buying pop up a review asap for the curious :D

Hah! Like that will ever happen again.

Why not? It's happened more than a few times already.

edit: well, bing lists "HP Direct" as 10% cashback. If you click through that link and search for this monitor, it ends up taking you through small business for the promo $425, does BCB still apply?

Last edited:
I just ordered one from Cost Central as well. I was hoping to wait for reviews, but with the "$425 MSRP" being a promo price, I didn't want to wait.

Does HP pay the return shipping as well or is it the customer? I probably will buy it because of that 30 day return policy, but I was just curious about return shipping.

I don't know, but considering it's being shipped out for free, I don't mind paying a total of $15 if things don't work out. I would've ordered from CC if I didn't live in PA :\

Having never owned a "full hd" screen before, do I now need to purchase a blu-ray player if I have ISO's of blu-ray discs to be able to play them "properly" for HDCP support? Or does Daemon tools work? I'm sure I just butchered asking that question..

edit: well, bing lists "HP Direct" as 10% cashback. If you click through that link and search for this monitor, it ends up taking you through small business for the promo $425, does BCB still apply?
I suspect not because I saw a caveat HP mentioned that the Promo ZR24W was not subject to further discounts. But I hope I am wrong.

Its not 1680x1050 .. just an HP typo.

I'm excited to see what you guys think of this monitor , I hope the folks buying pop up a review asap for the curious :D

Thank you. And yes, I will post something about it soon because I just found out from UPS it is arriving tomorrow. :)

Now if only there were more DX11 games I could put my XFX HD5850 Black Edition through its paces - though I suspect Eyefinity will be doing that. I sure hope this card can handle DX11 on 3 screens.

I have been really enjoying Dirt 2 with all of the flying dust, car parts, skid marks, crashes, high resolution cars, etc. - but I haven't screen shot anything since becoming obsessed with screen shooting in Oblivion several years ago and finally "retiring" from that.

Does anyone know if Fraps is the best way to shoot Dirt 2?

Last edited:
Get these bad boys and lets see some reviews, are they officially out now? I want to order one as well and take advantage of the promotion but would like to wait for the reviews first...

I do photo editing, and I just hope HP checked these out and they don't have the weird tint issues that were in the same LG panels used in the 2475w and the Dell U2410. I hope they used a completely different panel. Like someone posted on here.

Philips 240PW9EB ............ LG.Display H-IPS (LM240WU4) panel
HP LP2475w ................... LG.Display H-IPS (LM240WU4-SLA1)
Dell U2410 ...................... LG.Display H-IPS (LM240WU4-SLB1)
HP LP2480zx ................... LG.Display H-IPS (LM240WU5) w/A-TW

This should be a nice panel if in fact it comes up clean and calibrates well with no green/tint issues.

Last edited:
I'm gonna wait on a review before pulling the trigger, but I do have the promo offer sitting in my cart. In my experience they stay there even after the promo has ended.

I just ordered one from Cost Central - $409 was just too good to pass up, especially if it's going to be $500+ in the future, and there's no other sRGB, IPS, 1920x1200 monitor in existence other than the 2490wuxi, which is over twice as expensive.

When I get it I'll take some pictures/do a quick review and hopefully us early adopters can compare findings.

I'm excited to finally have a Blu-ray capable monitor :) and it will look nice next to my 2090uxi 1600x1200 that I got from techforless.

Also why is the contrast ratio so low? 800:1 usually monitors are 1000:1. Whats up with that? That doesnt seem right with an IPS panel does it?

From the website

3000:1 DCR is low........the Dell U2410 is 80000:1

Why is the DCR so low?

800:1, if accurate, is not that low - you're just used to inflated marketing numbers.

granted, 1000:1 is better, but 800 isn't bad. The NEC 2490wuxi (known as one of the best IPS monitors) realistically has 700-750:1 contrast ratio.

also, when someone actually receives this monitor, we should start a new thread for reviews on this monitor, because we have 16 pages of near-nothing at this point in this thread.

Those specs are incorrect. That page also claims an 8ms response rate instead of the actual 5ms and it also says the monitor is 1680x1050 when it is clearly 1920x1200. Had you taken the time to actually read the last few pages of this thread you would know that already.

The correct specs are listed on this page. Scroll over to the far right.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/e...itors&psn=monitors/monitors/business_monitors

Those specs are incorrect. That page also claims an 8ms response rate instead of the actual 5ms and it also says the monitor is 1680x1050 when it is clearly 1920x1200. Had you taken the time to actually read the last few pages of this thread you would know that already.

The correct specs are listed on this page. Scroll over to the far right.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/e...itors&psn=monitors/monitors/business_monitors

Well what about the 3000:1 DC? Doesn't that seem really low?

To me? No. I'm only concerned with the initial 1000:1.

NEC doesn't even list DCR for their monitors and they're one of the best in the game IMO.

From the website

3000:1 DCR is low........the Dell U2410 is 80000:1

Why is the DCR so low?

Who cares about DCR? It's nothing but a marketing gimmick.

EDIT: mrh3138 said it. We even phrased it the same way.

Last edited:
NEC doesn't even list DCR for their monitors and they're one of the best in the game IMO.
NEC doesn't list it because, unless I'm mistaken, most NEC monitors don't have it.

But others are correct, unless the monitor is a full-array LED backlit display that supports local dimming, dynamic contrast is pretty terrible. The dimming of the backlight is pretty perceptible and distracting, according to reports that I've read. Without full-array LED backlighting, the "entire backlight" (for lack of a better term) needs to be dimmed, which isn't ideal.

Wow dude, you need to calm down, you just basically asked the same question 3 times in 3 different posts. The DCR and standard CR are not low.

HP just called me back and the sales person has alerted the content management people that the specs on this monitor are wrong on certain pages - including the specs on the invoices being sent out. Hopefully this will actually get corrected and reduce the confusion amongst noobs like myself.

Thanks again for the help.

Alright alright my bad fellas damn. Anyways I just called hp and they said that the promotion will most likely last for 3 to 6 months. So I am in no rush, I am going to wait for some reviews then decide to make my purchase.

Alright alright my bad fellas damn. Anyways I just called hp and they said that the promotion will most likely last for 3 to 6 months. So I am in no rush, I am going to wait for some reviews then decide to make my purchase.

well this is certainly good news :) thanks

Back