HP ZR24w

I thought of buying a capture card to play consoles in the right format on this monitor, has anyone tried this, is there a lot of input lag? (while not recording)

I've never used a capture card that doesn't have 10 seconds of lag at least. Unplayable, it would be.

I bought a DP to HDMI cable thinking it would be an easy solution with my PC on DVI and console on dp. No go. Looks like you need an active converter to go from HDMI to DP. Not the other way around though.

Last edited:
I got this monitor a couple weeks ago, but I'm having trouble with it:

1) the monitor has the wrong color profile under win7. On a TN monitor, if you look at the scrollbar of Internet Explorer (for example)it is made up of a checkerboard pattern of gray and white squares (6-bit instead of 8-bit color channels) rather than a single solid color. For some reason when I switched from my TN monitor to my zr24w, this checkerboard pattern remained. I've uninstalled the drivers of the previous monitor, installed the color profile of the zr24w and manually tried to fix things, but nothing has worked so far...

This problem doesn't occur with a newly installed winXP partition, but I'd rather not have to reinstall win7 to fix this...

Any ideas?

2) my monitor has horrible uniformity (at least according to my expectations).
Here is the link http://vfzeqw.blu.livefilestore.com...dJ_rkbVWXmtyJnmtVPibxkPN4shA4G/595.jpg?psid=1

This picture should be viewed portrait (with the left side at the top) but for some reason the picture got flipped when uploading...
Be at least 6 feet away when viewing so you can see the lines... basically it is black and white lines running up and down the screen. On a white background monitor looks horrible. I think in person looks much worse than the jpeg.

Should I RMA it or is it normal?

Last edited:
I got this monitor a couple weeks ago, but I'm having trouble with it:

1) the monitor has the wrong color profile under win7. On a TN monitor, if you look at the scrollbar of Internet Explorer (for example)it is made up of a checkerboard pattern of gray and white squares (6-bit instead of 8-bit color channels) rather than a single solid color. For some reason when I switched from my TN monitor to my zr24w, this checkerboard pattern remained. I've uninstalled the drivers of the previous monitor, installed the color profile of the zr24w and manually tried to fix things, but nothing has worked so far...

This problem doesn't occur with a newly installed winXP partition, but I'd rather not have to reinstall win7 to fix this...

Any ideas?

2) my monitor has horrible uniformity (at least according to my expectations).
Here is the link http://vfzeqw.blu.livefilestore.com...dJ_rkbVWXmtyJnmtVPibxkPN4shA4G/595.jpg?psid=1

This picture should be viewed portrait (with the left side at the top) but for some reason the picture got flipped when uploading...
Be at least 6 feet away when viewing so you can see the lines... basically it is black and white lines running up and down the screen. On a white background monitor looks horrible. I think in person looks much worse than the jpeg.

Should I RMA it or is it normal?

Hm, a bit hard to see in your picture, but I can kinda see the bands. Using your monitors big brother (ZR30W), on a pure white background it is completely uniform and no banding. Maybe yours is worth a replacement, but it is hard to tell from that picture.

Hey guys, i'm looking for new 22-24" non-tn monitor and as it seems, all of them have problems... u2410 has tint shift etc..what about zr22-24w? On previous page i saw horrible screen uniformity, is this a common problem? Is zr22w any different from 24 except for its size?

Thanks for the reply Vega but it still doesn't move me either way ;)

I have until sept 8 to decide if I'm going to get a replacement for my monitor. Basically, the only problem with my monitor is when a completely grey or white screen is shown (in portrait mode) for the right half of the screen there are vertical lines (maybe 1-3cm thick) of light or darker areas that run pretty much the whole length of the screen. When I first looked at the monitor, I don't really notice the lines, but after reading black text on a white background for a while, these lines get very distracting and make me feel that the monitor is poor quality... but then again my standards may be too high...

do you guys think it is worth RMAing it, or is my monitor pretty normal?

(also do you guys notice a problem like this when reading black text on a white background?)

(edit: not sure if it is releveant but my old TN dell monitor (dell e228wfp) appears to have perfectly uniform white background to me)

Last edited:
I have no visual anomalies like you describe on any of my screens. I would RMA it if it bother you that much. It doesn't cost you anything besides shipping and some time eh?

I have no visual anomalies like you describe on any of my screens. I would RMA it if it bother you that much. It doesn't cost you anything besides shipping and some time eh?

I may get a WORSE monitor and tech-support took 19 days to get back to me on the issue, so I likely will not be able to get another replacement after that...

i dont know where you guys are located, but i use HPs email support (US, email to hp small business) . no questions asked, and withing 48hrs some ones is at my house delivering a new monitor, by noon. the monitors are being shipped next day air with by noon delivery. so far ive had to rma mine 3 times (1 dead pixel, back light suddenly failed, replacement was DOA) and their customer service has been exceptional.

It all depends where you are located.. From previous posts i get the impression US customer service is much more effective & faster than UK or EU customer service.

I just got twin ZR24w's from Amazon. These are my first IPS monitors. I'm coming from a Samsung ToC T220 after I decided I couldn't stand its vertical shift & bad colors.

The one thing that really bothers me is the white glow on dark backgrounds, even when viewing dead on from 2.5ft away. It's most noticeable in the bottom left. Lowering my head seems to lessen this, the glow is VERY sensitive to vertical angles and becomes huge with a change of +15deg.

(shutter slowed down which slightly exaggerates the glow brightness)

Taken at 2.5ft

Is this a big problem with the ZR24w's or did I just get a bad batch?

Last edited:
ekaggen - did you try turning down the brightness yet? Lots of calibrated settings I've seen in this thread have the brightness at or near 0%. Eg. tftcentral ended up with it at 7%.

ekaggen - did you try turning down the brightness yet? Lots of calibrated settings I've seen in this thread have the brightness at or near 0%. Eg. tftcentral ended up with it at 7%.
That picture was taken at 15% brightness, my current settings are

0% brightness
75% contrast
(i also upped the gamma on my video card because it seemed to make things look better, but it doesn't affect the glow)

I work mostly in a very dim environment.

It seems like the range of brightness on the OSD isn't very large, from 0 to 100 there is a noticeable.

I also noticed that there is a very very slight yellowish tinge towards the right side of the screen from dead on. It can be seen if you drag a neutral grey window across the screen and watch carefully.

I just got twin ZR24w's from Amazon. These are my first IPS monitors. I'm coming from a Samsung ToC T220 after I decided I couldn't stand its vertical shift & bad colors.

The one thing that really bothers me is the white glow on dark backgrounds, even when viewing dead on from 2.5ft away. It's most noticeable in the bottom left. Lowering my head seems to lessen this, the glow is VERY sensitive to vertical angles and becomes huge with a change of +15deg.

(shutter slowed down which slightly exaggerates the glow brightness)

Taken at 2.5ft

Is this a big problem with the ZR24w's or did I just get a bad batch?

I'm sorry but i think you are experiencing IPS glow. Why do i think this? There was a guy (way back into this thread) who had 3 replacements for the exact same reason but didn't see any improvement at all. If i remember correctly it was also his first IPS screen.

If it starts to slowly dissapear when you move your head away from the screen & increases rather drasticly when you move your head back closer you are definitely experiencing IPS glow... which is (very) normal behavior for this type of screen.
Also, changing your viewing angle more the left or right (=in other words, putting your head slighly off center) when sitting close makes the glowing worse.

Only solution: Sitting further away from the screen.

Last edited:
I would kinda get it but its really not good at showing blacks.

Last edited:
I would kinda get it but its really not good showing blacks.

That depends on the settings you've adjusted the monitor to, and the context in which the blacks appear. A pure black screen is where the monitor really shows it's fault. But how often do you sit and look at a plain black screen? IME, the blacks are great, so long as the only thing on your screen isn't pure 0,0,0 black.

I would kinda get it but its really not good showing blacks.

That depends on the settings you've adjusted the monitor to, and the context in which the blacks appear. A pure black screen is where the monitor really shows it's fault. But how often do you sit and look at a plain black screen? IME, the blacks are great, so long as the only thing on your screen isn't pure 0,0,0 black.

Default settings yes. If you calibrate the screen properly you can get black values of 0.17 - 0.18 cd/m2 which are good. (very good if you consider the price range)

Whats settings are you using. I am gonna try the TFT central settings.

Brightness 7
Contrast 100
RGB 94,140, 99
Preset Custom Color

This deal is now gone. The rebate everything is gone. I got on the phone to the manager at the store. He told me he cant even find the rebate. Called the online store, no help, they gave me the price is subject to change thing. The rebate expires Sept 30th, so this doesn't make sense. The manager said he would give it to me at cost of $384. I said I doubt that is your cost, he said he was looking at his screen thanks for calling and hung up on me.

Just buy it from Amazon. $399.99 with free shipping and no tax. I got mine from Amazon and from what I can tell, no visible defects of any kind.

shipping confirmation from MacMall.

Have tracking number, but PayPal hasn't been charged. weird.

BTW. OOS from them already.

My order shows as shipped, but MacMall's credit department left a message saying they want to talk. I'll call them tomorrow.

My order shows as shipped, but MacMall's credit department left a message saying they want to talk. I'll call them tomorrow.

The plot thickens. I just want to know how they can sell these for $299 if cost is $384. I smells something fishies. :D They have 24/7 support, give them a call now.

Right now Macmall has the price listed even lower then yesterday. These are open box. Now the open box deal is gone.

Last edited:
Back