HP ZR24w

I would rather sacrifice deeper blacks for better color accuracy. What do you guys think?
I had the same choice and went for ZR24w and you don't have to sacrifice the blacks anymore ;)

After additional TFT review I am very happy with my blacks nad brightness :cool:

Idea behind is that we come to the sRGB 6500 temps and 120 luminosity with RGB, not so much with contrast and brightness, as we want to keep the contrast high as it affects the blacks.

optimal settings somewhere between
brightness: 0-10
contrast: 100
r= 100-130 +-10
b= 100-130 +-10
g= 100-130 +-10

but it really depends on the monitor.

on my, reds are sceaming like hell but blue and green are the same level and have to be lower than the red.

With spyder3 it took me three calibrations because I didn't now how to use the software to achieve this.

I had the same choice and went for ZR24w and you don't have to sacrifice the blacks anymore ;)

After additional TFT review I am very happy with my blacks nad brightness :cool:

Idea behind is that we come to the sRGB 6500 temps and 120 luminosity with RGB, not so much with contrast and brightness, as we want to keep the contrast high as it affects the blacks.

optimal settings somewhere between
brightness: 0-10
contrast: 100
r= 100-130 +-10
b= 100-130 +-10
g= 100-130 +-10

but it really depends on the monitor.

on my, reds are sceaming like hell but blue and green are the same level and have to be lower than the red.

With spyder3 it took me three calibrations because I didn't now how to use the software to achieve this.

Yeah, but that heavy alterations can only shoot color accuracy to hell (in other than color managed applications that is) and is bound to cause a LOT of banding.

I would rather sacrifice deeper blacks for better color accuracy. What do you guys think?

Unless you are doing some color accurate work i'd say deeper blacks would be more noticeble in real life than color inaccuracy (as long as it isn't very huge inaccuracy).

Yeah, but that heavy alterations can only shoot color accuracy to hell (in other than color managed applications that is) and is bound to cause a LOT of banding.
So I will get banding issues with the ZR240W if I calibrate? And why would it shoot color accuracy to hell?

So I will get banding issues with the ZR240W if I calibrate? And why would it shoot color accuracy to hell?

It will most likely bend and twist your monitors gamma curve like mad, and your graphics card will have to adjust to fix it, but it will cause banding. And calibration is quite meaningless as it only helps on color managed applications (meaning programs that actually use the ICC profile to fix colors) like Photoshop, others merely ignore it. Gamma fixes work everywhere (you have to lock them with some software so, for example, games wont reset it) but not color correction. Your calibration software probaply shows your gamma curve, what did it look like? It should be as close to straight line, as little correction as possible that is.

Last edited:
Are there any results in this thread that show banding after calibration?

eta: also, tftcentral states that after checking color gradients, there were no apparent banding issues:

"Colour accuracy was also corrected nicely with very impressive results obtained. Average dE was now 0.2, with a maximum of only 0.7. LaCie would consider colour fidelity to be excellent. Testing the screen with colour gradients revealed smooth colour transitions and no sign of any banding issues."

is there something i'm missing?

Last edited:
Are there any results in this thread that show banding after calibration?

eta: also, tftcentral states that after checking color gradients, there were no apparent banding issues:

"Colour accuracy was also corrected nicely with very impressive results obtained. Average dE was now 0.2, with a maximum of only 0.7. LaCie would consider colour fidelity to be excellent. Testing the screen with colour gradients revealed smooth colour transitions and no sign of any banding issues."

is there something i'm missing?

You're not missing anything, there are NO banding issues whatsoever if you calibrate properly. The biggest complaint by some users after reading the review were the "unacceptable" black levels but the reviewer screwed up his calibration. If you have a colorimeter to calibrate properly this display offers really great value for the money.

Last edited:
Well then what is MaZa talking about? And why is he saying calibration is largely useless except on color-manged applications like photoshop?

Judging by his signature, he's talking about his experience with other monitors, and not the zr24w

No idea why he's saying this... probably because he's using a wide gamut display & he's talking from his experience. You can't compare the two displays.

Edit: MaZa uses a HP LP2475w which is wide gamut so he has this issue. This does NOT apply to the ZR24w.

Last edited:
ok, sounds good then.

Has anybody here tested brightness distribution on the monitor?

eta: and will i have problems with calibration on integrated video?

Last edited:
serendip1ty, I realize now I am using your custom settings as described in this post of yours (except a bit later, I turned the contrast way down due to my eye sensitivity):

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035611525&postcount=1458

Are these still holding up as the most optimal settings for your monitor in your testing? I turned the contrast down to about 50 but kept the rest of the settings as you listed there and that definitely reduced the eye strain for me. Your posts are most appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Gamma fixes work everywhere (you have to lock them with some software so, for example, games wont reset it) but not color correction.
Are you saying that software which can lock the ICC profile only locks the gamma in games and nothing else?
I'm using Calibration wizard to lock my profile in games and everywhere.

Are you saying that software which can lock the ICC profile only locks the gamma in games and nothing else?
I'm using Calibration wizard to lock my profile in games and everywhere.

This applies to every monitor as it is software related and not hardware related. Your calibration creates an ICC profile where actual color correction. And only programs that are color managed, like Photoshop, Firefox, and Windows Vista imageviewer, read it and correct the colors as needed.Programs that are not color managed do not read it and can ignore it completely. In the process of calibration, also gamma adjustments are actually made in your graphics cards LUT, but this is IIRC partially outside of the ICC profile and affects everything. Some programs (like games) reset it though unless you lock them somehow. When it comes to gamma and banding, widegamut is irrelevant AFAIK. If ZR24W is really resistant to banding issue after heavy alterations to your monitors sliders and if it does not require heavy correction in your graphics cards LUT, then thats great news! I was speaking how thinks work in generally, and generally heavy alterations from your monitors default settings is bad (in most monitors) due to to above issues.

Who cares about the calibration with HW calibrator - my HP ZR24w looks great without calibrated black levels. I can notice the difference in the movies but I can also turn on dynamic contrast and it gets fine.

I rather gave up some of my blacks than having to deal with all of the other issues that dell and NEC were having. Plus 25% saving in the price in comparison to grainy Dell U2410 rev A0 in my country is a big bonus for me.

For the price difference I bought a calibrator and I am calibrating all five moniters my wife and I are looking at.

My current settings for my ZR24w:

Brightness: 0
Contrast: 80
Red: 230
Green: 210
Blue: 239

I'm trying to match the settings of my LP2475w. I've tried out a few other sets that people have posted, but found them completely incompatible with how I like my LP2475w:

Brightness: 33
Contrast: 90
Red: 216
Green: 220
Blue: 252

I developed the LP2475w settings using a colorimeter. I haven't used one on the ZR24w yet. My settings aren't quite right but I'm not sure how much better I can get them. The grey-points are pretty similar, but the reds are pretty far off.

Last edited:
I guess I should look into how all this stuff works, because having a monitor at ZERO brightness after "calibration" seems strange to me.

I guess I should look into how all this stuff works, because having a monitor at ZERO brightness after "calibration" seems strange to me.
It is strange, but it's HP's fault - brightness levels at 100% are being reported as ridiculous (which is on par with the 400cd/m2 announced) and the controls don't seem to be very cooperative.

It is strange, but it's HP's fault - brightness levels at 100% are being reported as ridiculous (which is on par with the 400cd/m2 announced) and the controls don't seem to be very cooperative.

Yeah, the brightness value is not an absolute mapping of the current backlight strength, as I would have expected. Rather, at 0, it is about as bright as my LP2475w is at 33. At 100, it is exceedingly bright, only usable in an extremely well-lit workplace (i.e. one with a lot of windows). Even still, I'm not sure it is justified. I'd love to see a firmware update, but I wouldn't know how to apply it (USB maybe?).

I developed the LP2475w settings using a colorimeter. I haven't used one on the ZR24w yet. My settings aren't quite right but I'm not sure how much better I can get them. The grey-points are pretty similar, but the reds are pretty far off.

It is going to be very difficult if not impossible to match them. LP2475w is wide gamut and the ZR24w is not.

To others asking about the brightness levels: it's not at all unusual to have brightness set very low (even to zero) on an IPS monitor.

My rudimentary requirements for an LCD have always been: 1) capability for eye-searing brightness, as I hate dull screens; 2) no green grays; 3) no pink grays; 4) white isn't too blue or too red. This HP sounds like a good candidate.

Thinking of buying this monitor. How is this? Buy.com, on the sidebar, has it for $406.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Dam $389 plus free shipping nice. Too bad I live in CA so sales tax would add about $50-60 on that :-( But I can't complain I just picked up a Dell 2709W 27 inch PVA panel for $500 form dell outlet :)

I'm new to calibration, so sorry if these are silly questions...

From what I've been reading in the last few pages, if I want to have the ZR24w with decent black levels, I need to get a calibrator?

What does a calibrator do, create a ICC profile for your monitor?

I will mainly be playing games, and ICC profiles don't help with games I believe... How do you calibrate a monitor properly for games?

I've been looking at a few lcd calibrators, but their nearly as much as the ZR24w >< Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent quality/price one?

If you mainly play games, the default srgb setting with 0 brightness and 90-100 contrast will be plenty good, IMO. Personally, this is what I'm using for right now.

The updated calibration from TFTcentral is also plenty good, IMO. Someone complained it looked washed out. But I had no such experience. Everything looked great.

I see no reason to buy a calibrator unless you're a photo editor.

agreed, no reason for a calibrator unless you need exact colors, or just have extra cash to blow.

i tried various calibration settings posted, and just went with what looked the best to me.

I'm looking to buy a triple monitor setup. Primary purpose is not eyefinity, but it'd be nice to have. I'll have 2*HP LP2065 and the ZR24W in the center. THe LP 2065 is a 1600*1200 monitor, so the ZR24W will have to be 1600*1200 in eyefinity.

Is that within the 1:1 pixel mapping limits of this monitor? I read though a while ago, and saw it supported 1:1 to some extent, but I can't remember it 1600*1200 is within that limit.

Edit: bhphotovideo.com has it for $412 shipped from NY to CA. Base price is $395. If you live less than across the country you might get a better shipping rate. My point is, that is a company that has amazing return policies, rather than a place like buy.com, for a mere $20 more. BH photo also has a bing cash back.

This is especially useful for people that get taxed like crazy (mainly CA it seems)

This applies to every monitor as it is software related and not hardware related. Your calibration creates an ICC profile where actual color correction. And only programs that are color managed, like Photoshop, Firefox, and Windows Vista imageviewer, read it and correct the colors as needed.Programs that are not color managed do not read it and can ignore it completely. In the process of calibration, also gamma adjustments are actually made in your graphics cards LUT, but this is IIRC partially outside of the ICC profile and affects everything. Some programs (like games) reset it though unless you lock them somehow. When it comes to gamma and banding, widegamut is irrelevant AFAIK. If ZR24W is really resistant to banding issue after heavy alterations to your monitors sliders and if it does not require heavy correction in your graphics cards LUT, then thats great news! I was speaking how thinks work in generally, and generally heavy alterations from your monitors default settings is bad (in most monitors) due to to above issues.
Aha ok.
So basically the "trick" to get better black luminance is unusable if you play games because it messes up the colors.

I'm new to calibration, so sorry if these are silly questions...
Its only silly when not asked.

What does a calibrator do, create a ICC profile for your monitor?
First, it calibrates the colorspace with the monitor settings. Exact process depends on the calibrator.

Second, it calibrates the colorspace of the graphical driver by creating an ICC profile.

So, two levels of calibration can be perormed:
1st at the monitor level, and
2nd at the generation level - graphics.

Just turn on dynamic contrast if you want the blacks.

Aha ok.
So basically the "trick" to get better black luminance is unusable if you play games because it messes up the colors.

No, not really. Not sure what he's going on about, actually, but that certainly hasn't been my experience.

EDIT: If I understand MaZa correctly, he's mostly talking about issues relating to wide gamut displays and non-color aware programs. That is entirely different from what folks are talking about with this monitor and completely irrelevant for the ZR24w since it's not a wide gamut panel.

I'm looking to buy a triple monitor setup. Primary purpose is not eyefinity, but it'd be nice to have. I'll have 2*HP LP2065 and the ZR24W in the center. THe LP 2065 is a 1600*1200 monitor, so the ZR24W will have to be 1600*1200 in eyefinity.

Is that within the 1:1 pixel mapping limits of this monitor? I read though a while ago, and saw it supported 1:1 to some extent, but I can't remember it 1600*1200 is within that limit.

1:1 mapping isn't really an issue on the PC because your video card can handle that duty. The problem is mostly with consoles and other devices that lack that ability.

I am running something similar - two 20" Samsung monitors and the HP ZR24w in the middle - all at 1600x1200 when gaming. There are definitely horizontal alignment issues and here is one response to my questions about this that might help you - from a while back on this thread. What! You didn't read the last 90 pages? :p

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035543914&postcount=871

So my understanding is that given the size diffs in the monitors, there is only so much adjusting that is possible.

For work it is no biggie - unless I am stretching a spreadsheet across two or three monitors. But mainly for work, just having 3 monitors makes this all worth it. For gaming I would want 3 HP ZR24w monitors but even now gaming is still cool with the Eyefinity setup I have.

But mainly for work I like to have each monitor in its own optimal resolution and not deal with Eyefinity, which has other issues.

Last edited:
No, not really. Not sure what he's going on about, actually, but that certainly hasn't been my experience.

EDIT: If I understand MaZa correctly, he's mostly talking about issues relating to wide gamut displays and non-color aware programs. That is entirely different from what folks are talking about with this monitor and completely irrelevant for the ZR24w since it's not a wide gamut panel.

No, Im not talking about widegamut at all. I am talking about the fact that adjusting your monitors sliders a lot will affect negatively to your monitors quality, gamma getting off being one thing. Even TFTCentrals review commented on this, increasing your contrast to 100 and reducing your SRGB sliders down a lot burned out/crushed white and black details. Perhaps calibration will fix this on other than color managed applications or no, I have no idea as I dont have ZR24, I am just stating that this fix MIGHT not be as problem free as one might think?
Is ICC profile needed to fix these faults? If it is, much like widegamut color correction it will only work on color managed applications. If not, and it is fixed with simple gamma adjustments, then hardware calibraton can fix it everywhere and I am babbling unnecessarily.

Last edited:
No, Im not talking about widegamut at all. I am talking about the fact that adjusting your monitors sliders a lot will affect negatively to your monitors quality, gamma getting off being one thing. Even TFTCentrals review commented on this, increasing your contrast to 100 and reducing your SRGB sliders down a lot burned out/crushed white and black details. Perhaps calibration will fix this on other than color managed applications or no, I have no idea as I dont have ZR24, I am just stating that this fix MIGHT not be as problem free as one might think?
Is ICC profile needed to fix these faults? If it is, much like widegamut color correction it will only work on color managed applications. If not, and it is fixed with simple gamma adjustments, then hardware calibraton can fix it everywhere and I am babbling unnecessarily.

I see where you are going with this MaZa, tftcentral even backs up your statements --> "Further adjustments would be made at a graphics card LUT level as part of the automated calibration process and creation of an ICC profile."

So you should be right but I hope you believe me when I say that _for whatever reason_ this doesn't create banding/burned colors nor crushed white and black details in non color managed applications.

Or to keep it short: It looks the same everywhere. :)

Confusing? Most definitely yes but there must be an explanation :)
The most plausible one is that _for whatever reason_ reducing the SRGB sliders down a lot doesn't screw up the colors. (with the ZR24w at least)

I see where you are going with this MaZa, tftcentral even backs up your statements --> "Further adjustments would be made at a graphics card LUT level as part of the automated calibration process and creation of an ICC profile."

So you should be right but I hope you believe me when I say that _for whatever reason_ this doesn't create banding/burned colors nor crushed white and black details in non color managed applications.

Or to keep it short: It looks the same everywhere. :)

Confusing? Most definitely yes but there must be an explanation :)
The most plausible one is that _for whatever reason_ reducing the SRGB sliders down a lot doesn't screw up the colors. (with the ZR24w at least)

Then this is great news! I wish TFTCentral would have been more detailed with their test to if this affects negatively this monitor or not, would have saved me a lot of time. :D

I have been dragging my feet on getting a replacement. HP never called me like they were supposed to and I'm going to call tonight to speak to the business department.

If I can get them to guarantee a new replacement should I go with that, or take that info to ShopBLT have get a new one from them? It's still within the 30 day exchange.

I received my replacement today and it is even worse than the first. I have substantial backlight bleed and three dead pixels where as the first had only one dead pixel and no bleed. I should have kept the first one instead of being ana1 about it! :mad:

HP (US) are having database problems right now so I cant even get a case number to send to my reseller. I'm UK based btw. HP now tell me once you have passed 30 days you will only get a refurb and NOT a new one! I just waited 2 weeks for my replacement so if the next one aint good I am screwed! Im so mad right now! I should have kept the first one. I've learnt my lesson about being picky....

I received my replacement today and it is even worse than the first. I have substantial backlight bleed and three dead pixels where as the first had only one dead pixel and no bleed. I should have kept the first one instead of being ana1 about it! :mad:

HP (US) are having database problems right now so I cant even get a case number to send to my reseller. I'm UK based btw. HP now tell me once you have passed 30 days you will only get a refurb and NOT a new one! I just waited 2 weeks for my replacement so if the next one aint good I am screwed! Im so mad right now! I should have kept the first one. I've learnt my lesson about being picky....

That makes me weary... Couldn't you have tested them both before shipping the first back? When they were going to send me a totally different monitor because of their own screwup, they said I'd get it in two days and I could keep my original one until the replacement got there. Maybe it's because you're in the UK.

Ordered from costcentral.com. Just got my ZR24W from today. However, the monitor is DOA... Here is a picture showing the damaged CCFL (I believe)

HP_ZR24W_DOA.jpg

Really bad luck...

Back