HP ZR24w

If I understand correctly you running Mac OS X with dual displays. At work we have the same problem with OS X and the secondary monitor, Its a planar lcd in our instance. I searched google and many Mac users are having this issue with the secondary monitor not regaining a signal after coming out of sleep mode. The only solution I know of is to turn off sleep mode.

Yes, I am running OS X but not on a real Macintosh, I build high quality Intel-based "hackintoshes" instead. However, I did not have this problem with the Samsung panels I just replaced, so I am pretty sure this issue is related to this particular HP ZR24w which is otherwise flawless.

I also want to note that in this dual display setup that I believe the panel in question is the primary one both in terms of OS X (it has the Main Menu bar) and also in terms of the hardware (the bottom DVI port is connected to the panel in question and I believe that is primary on the EVGA 9800GT card I am using).

Since this rarely happens (twice in about a week) and the fix is so trivial (hit the power button off then on), it is no where near the point that I need to be concerned about finding any kind of real solution or even consider disabling sleep. I just want to document the issue in case it turns into something significant or it is found to be related to a more general defect of the ZR24w (e.g. last week someone was complaining that their OSD settings were lost on sleep).

Last edited:
Try changing the default source to DVI instead of DP. But the fact that only one monitor is behaving that way is weird.

Good idea, thanks.

I have now set the default source from DP to DVI on the panel in question.

It may now take a week to see if that solves this problem.

dark4181

Am using 5870 with 10.3 driver and the HP Display Assistant has worked OK in all its options so guessing your problem is not card/driver related. Might try uninstall and reinstall. Don't recall now if there were any particulars to installing--seems it was pretty straight-forward. Did you install the monitor drivers from the CD, too? That might make a difference.

Does anyone know if the HP on site warranty is applicable in Canada if the monitor is purchased in the US?

From what i was told, no. But they're here in canada for 435cad and there's no customs or duty.

Ordered from Cost Central, got it real quick last Wednesday, no problems. Great monitor, aside from the stuck pixel just 'southwest' of center. HP support (very politely) told me there was nothing they can do about it as it's an ISO Class II pixel class monitor. Will try and contact Cost Central tomorrow. Right now, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get stuck with a stuck pixel. I'll update when I know more, and any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. Real bummer seeing as how I was finally making the move from my A7217A 24" CRT...was avoiding the LCD market because of stupid issues like this, bleh.

Just got off the phone with HP again. Took awhile on hold getting transferred around Bangalore then apparently back to the US and so on, but eventually ended up with someone that arranged to send a courier out to swap the monitor with no fuss.

I'm not sure what department I ended up in that first time, but things seem to be okay now.

A piece of advice I have for others is just to play dumb. I don't know if it really made a difference, but I think part of my problem was talking geeky about 'sub-pixels' and 'bright' vs 'dark' defects and ISO Classes and so on...

"Sir, what seems to be the problem?"

"There are a couple dark spots in the middle of my new monitor." (which is true, two adjacent green sub-pixels are dead, about 1.5 to 2 inches left of center)

And go from there...of course, maybe I just ended up with unhelpful people the first time.

dark4181

Am using 5870 with 10.3 driver and the HP Display Assistant has worked OK in all its options so guessing your problem is not card/driver related. Might try uninstall and reinstall. Don't recall now if there were any particulars to installing--seems it was pretty straight-forward. Did you install the monitor drivers from the CD, too? That might make a difference.

Do I need to have the USB cable installed? I don't currently

i never got the call from the HP tech today to set up an appointment. ill have to call their customer service number tomorrow.

Looks like i have a dead pixel about 3.25" in from the bottom left, 2 pixels up. Dark spot when testing all colors.

Also in the bottom left there looks to be maybe some debris/ bad screen coating, don't think its a dead pixel.

So that should add up to there 4 defects, or 1 full pixel defect?

Ok, got mine set up and have been playing around with it for a couple of hours now. I by no means have the expertise to be able to say anything dependable to you all, but I'll give my impressions nonetheless:

My previous LCD was my first, and I was quite spoiled by it - the NEC 20WMGX2. That bad boy cost me $600 and for good reason. It was/is simply an amazing display. I'd go over to friends' houses and watch them game on their $150 TNs and they made me want to vomit.

Going into this ZR24w, I anticipated some sort of overall quality drop off because I'm gaining 4" of screen size but paying $175 less than what I paid for my 20" NEC. If they transferred the exact technical specifications of the 20WMGX2 over to a 24" size, I'd imagine that it would retail for something like $1500+. But that monitor does not exist, as far as I know.

I made a terrible mistake while unboxing this ZR24w. When I went to lift the actual display out of the box, I somehow mistook the front LCD side for the back side, and I lifted it with my hands and pressure on the screen. I simply have no idea how I did this, as I'm typically terribly careful about things of that nature. Luckily no defects seem to have resulted from this handling error!

The monitor stand strikes me to be very high quality. Rock solid, and it was very easy to slide-mount the screen onto the base. Cable management is available and easy to use. I think that the black bezel looks sharp, and the buttons are minimally invasive as they are tucked nicely into the bottom-right corner of the unit. Blue LEDs really mess with my eyes so the fact that you can turn this power light off is a very nice feature for me.

My unit appears to have great uniformity and I can't spot a single dead pixel. There is what I would classify as minor backlight bleed/glow on the upper-right corner, but I simply can't see this being a detriment worthy of demanding an exchange over. I only notice it on things like black load screens.

My overall impression in direct comparison to my 20WMGX2 is what I suspected might be the case - the NEC is simply better. It's not like night and day better, it doesn't take too long to come up with this conclusion after using both for a minutes. At this point I think I prefer the NEC's glossy/hard screen but I will withhold judgment on that for a few more days.

With all that said... I cannot stress enough how happy I am thus far with this ZR24w. Adding 4" to my desktop real estate is a wonderful upgrade and there are no dominant flaws with my screen. I'm elated to report that there is ZERO hint of any sort of green/pink tint that many of the Dell U2410 users complain of. That is what kept me at bay from placing an order with them for the better part of the past year.

I had my eye on this HP unit since the day it was announced back in January, and I'm happy that I'm able to endorse my own thread with my personal approval of this monitor.

Still can't get the HPDA to work, tabs are greyed out. I have the monitor drivers installed from the cd. I installed the drivers first, then the Display Assistant; should I do it the other way around? 1) Install drivers, 2) install Display Assistant?

Just thought I would add my experiences here. I ordered 3 from HP, and I appear to have great luck, no dead/stuck pixels that I can see, no backlight bleed, or color uniformity issues. I may be less picky than others though when it comes to backlight bleed and color uniformity. I've only tried different solid backgrounds so far (white, black, red, green, blue, yellow). I haven't tried them for gaming yet, but reading some of the other posts, it sounds like they will be good for that too. Now I need a new graphics card to try out eyefinity..... =D

Loving them so far. I've been dying for more screen real estate for a long time. For reference I was coming from 2 Dell 2001FP monitors.

From what i was told, no. But they're here in canada for 435cad and there's no customs or duty.

I was hoping that HP will cover the monitor no matter where I am. I'm currently based in Canada but might move to the states soon.

For all of you gamers out there, just played a 4 hours Bad Company 2 session, and this monitor has no noticeable ghosting at all. I cannot tell the difference between this and my TN panel as far as response time/lag goes.

Couldn't be happier with this monitor at this point.

Still can't get the HPDA to work, tabs are greyed out. I have the monitor drivers installed from the cd. I installed the drivers first, then the Display Assistant; should I do it the other way around? 1) Install drivers, 2) install Display Assistant?

Think I installed the drivers, esp. the .inf file, then Display Assistant. What interface are you using? I am on display port. Try setting monitor to factory settings in OSD and see if that makes any difference as to whether the tabs remain greyed-out.

I just ordered two of these today directly from HP and I was wondering if http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150454 would be good with two (possibly three for eyefinity)

It's the "XFX HD-585A-ZNBC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB Black Edition 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card" in the specs it says it supports eyefinity but everyone's talking about 5870s.

I'd be pairing it with the i7 960.

Thanks for all the information everyone, i've been pulling my hair out over monitor choices for awhile now and i'm very close to purchasing this one. I am honestly between this and the very different Samsung P2450 (TN for the low response). I would be getting this one mainly for image quality/color that is supposed to be so amazing on an IPS and the acceptable response time/input lag.

My one issue is that I keep hearing about "grainy" whites of this screen. Does this mean screendooring? I'm primarily using this monitor for home use gaming and webpages, but I do program for a living and work from home once or twice a week, so I would be using it for that as well. I have never noticed 'grain' or 'screen door' on my Samsung T220, and if it was bad, it would probably annoy the hell out of me while staring at text while coding. I saw bb23's pic with what seemed like terrible screen door, but I wasn't 100% sure if that was an artifact of taking a picture with his camera. Anyone care to comment on this? If I was more comfortable about this aspect, i'd probably go ahead and order.

Assuming I do get it, I also had a question about ordering. The onsite dell service that people are getting, is that an additional warranty you guys are paying for, or is that something that is just offered whenever you buy their professional line monitors? Am I really looking at $425 out the door with HP direct (with free shipping it seems), or do I need to be adding some special warranties, etc for it to be worth going through them as opposed to costcentral?

I was really excited this morning when I noticed that my monitor was being delivered today, especially since I was going to be getting off early from work anyway.

I'm not so excited anymore. =(

I played around with it on my PC for a bit, and everything worked out great. As far as I can tell there are no dead or stuck pixels, and it's nice and clear. The monitor itself looks great too! But it was when I tried my Xbox 360 that things went south.

Basically the monitor rarely if ever allows you to actually use `Scale to Aspect Ratio!' This includes 720p or 1080p signals over VGA and DVI; the only option you get is 'Overscan.' =( Actually, the zr24w won't even successfully display 1080p video from my Xbox over VGA...when I try it, it cuts off about 1/3rd of the screen and there dosen't seem to be any way to fix it. 1680x1050 and 1440x900 are both displayed with black borders and look reasonably 16:9, but whatever (monitor and Xbox) scaling that's going on is making everything look a bit fuzzy and mushy. The 360 actually looks pretty good if I set it to 1280x1024 and let the monitor stretch out the image, but I'm really not happy about that. =(

Anyway, I'm _really_ hoping that I'm just missing something fundamental and someone else has successfully hooked up a 1080p or 720p source to the monitor (non stretched that is!). Or alternately, if anyone has known of companies fixing this sort of thing with firmware updates in the future? it's sort-of a deal-breaker if it doesn't work. =(

Last edited:
ill know by the end of the week. i had to order an hdmi/dvi cable this evening for my ps3.

i had tried scale to aspect with diablo 2, 800x600, and i thought it worked quite well. kinda assumed it would the same for ps3/360

ill know by the end of the week. i had to order an hdmi/dvi cable this evening for my ps3.

i had tried scale to aspect with diablo 2, 800x600, and i thought it worked quite well. kinda assumed it would the same for ps3/360

Scale to Aspect Ratio worked with 1280x1024, I just can't get it to work with 720p or 1080p (the option is greyed out). =(

Scale to Aspect Ratio worked with 1280x1024, I just can't get it to work with 720p or 1080p (the option is greyed out). =(

well damn, your right. i just tried aspect ration with my res set to 1920x1080 and its grayed out.
that seems strange.

Anyone know when the promotional price will end? I still have some more convincing of the wife before I can get one.

Also, will Newegg/Amazon get it any time soon?

Anyone know when the promotional price will end? I still have some more convincing of the wife before I can get one.

Also, will Newegg/Amazon get it any time soon?

Glad someone asked this. To add to this question, if anyone knows the answer, what will the regular price be after the promotion? :confused:

Glad someone asked this. To add to this question, if anyone knows the answer, what will the regular price be after the promotion? :confused:

Last I heard was "a couple months" from someone in the thread here, and I think it's around $500 non-promo. Costcentral has the non-promo SKU listed, I just don't remember what the price on it is.

when i was talking to HP today placing my order asking for additional discounts (in addition to free shipping and the promo price) he said the monitor is regularly $500.

i don't know for certain if he was rounding up or not but that's what i'd guess is the MSRP

Hmm, if it's really $500, then I need to buy soon! Thanks guys. As soon as my refinance goes through, I'm pulling the trigger! Tip for people who have discover credit cards and are ordering through HP. Log into your discover account and link to the HP site from there. Discover will give you 5% cash back! :D

well damn, your right. i just tried aspect ration with my res set to 1920x1080 and its grayed out.
that seems strange.

Wow...that's a deal breaker for me too, the lack of 1:1 would make this monitor as useful as the Apple Cinema Display (sarcastic)....

I'll be interested to learn how that works out. At the moment I'm really close to buying this monitor, but if PS3 input doesn't work well on it I may have to pass.

Wow...that's a deal breaker for me too, the lack of 1:1 would make this monitor as useful as the Apple Cinema Display (sarcastic)....

Sigh and to think I was looking at this monitor to replace the one i already have precisly because it doesn't support 1:1 :D

Regarding CostCentral.com

Do all shipments original from Pennsylvania? I see that CA tax applies also, was curious if that was meant there was shipping location in CA.

Last edited:
I just ordered two of these today directly from HP and I was wondering if http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150454 would be good with two (possibly three for eyefinity)

It's the "XFX HD-585A-ZNBC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB Black Edition 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card" in the specs it says it supports eyefinity but everyone's talking about 5870s.

That's the same exact card I have, and it runs Eyefinity fine - except that I am running the HP on displayport and two 20" Samsung's on the DVI connections - so all of them are set for 1600x1200. For gaming the horizontal alignment issues have not really bothered me because the side monitors are only peripheral vision anyway.

I read that the HD 5850 was the minimum card to get for 3 monitor Eyefinity because of the demand to drive all 3 monitors. So I purchased the Black Edition to make sure. So far no problems, and the Dirt 2 game I run is also DX11. I am still experimenting with the settings - at this point I have not maxed out all the eye-candy, but it still looks great. Of course, there aren't too many DX11 games to really test this, so... If you can afford it, the 5870 is the safer choice, but so far, so good with mine.

Of course, make sure your psu can handle the load - though this card seems to never tax my 850 Seasonic beyond the 400w point according to my ups monitoring display (and that's with a lot of peripherals, 4 hard drives, a printer, an I7 860 cpu, etc.).

My one issue is that I keep hearing about "grainy" whites of this screen. Does this mean screendooring? I'm primarily using this monitor for home use gaming and webpages, but I do program for a living and work from home once or twice a week, so I would be using it for that as well. I have never noticed 'grain' or 'screen door' on my Samsung T220, and if it was bad, it would probably annoy the hell out of me while staring at text while coding. I saw bb23's pic with what seemed like terrible screen door, but I wasn't 100% sure if that was an artifact of taking a picture with his camera. Anyone care to comment on this? If I was more comfortable about this aspect, i'd probably go ahead and order.
That screen door effect was definitely caused by my not understanding how to align the camera with the screen at first. Chris_n told me what to do and subsequent shots (the plain color ones) do not show this effect, if I am remembering correctly.

Edit: Here are the plain color shots again - these are Windows 7 background colors:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035512196#post1035512196
Are you seeing a screen door effect on these too? I do see the effect on some of them, but it is definitely camera-related, because I don't see such an effect when just looking directly at the screen. I just looked at them directly once again for many different solid colors - no screen door effect in real life. Others will probably confirm this.

I also program for a living and use this monitor a lot, and am not having any issues other than I had to turn the brightness way down. At default brightness (90), an all-white background does look a bit grainy, but not screen-doorish.

Assuming I do get it, I also had a question about ordering. The onsite dell service that people are getting, is that an additional warranty you guys are paying for, or is that something that is just offered whenever you buy their professional line monitors? Am I really looking at $425 out the door with HP direct (with free shipping it seems), or do I need to be adding some special warranties, etc for it to be worth going through them as opposed to costcentral?
You are not likely to get any onsite service from DELL! :p Just giving you a hard time about your mistake there. ;)

No one has spoken of buying an additional warranty for the monitor. It sounds like most people who have monitors with dead pixels have been successful with getting an HP tech to swap it out onsite.

Also, HP will likely be charging you $425+sales tax. Just remember to CALL to get free shipping.

Last edited:

Yeah the 5850 does support eyefinity (or 3 separate screens), it's just a cut down version of the 5870. Now maybe look at some eyefinity benches to get an idea on what performance to expect.

So how well does this monitor display photos and videos(i.e. 700MB xvids, HD video, ect.)?
It is a performance monitor with "stunning and accurate images". I just need it to look good while viewing personal photos. I am currently using a FW900 clone and am happy with this aspect. Going to a friends house, he has a Gateway FD2401 hooked to a 7950gt and the photo and video performance it extremely bad, like the worst thing I ever saw and thus pushing me further away from TN panels. He may bring the panel over tonight to do a A/B just to be sure it isn't his PC. Very ready to pull the trigger on this but looking for input on the photos/vids.

Regarding CostCentral.com

Do all shipments original from Pennsylvania? I see that CA tax applies also, was curious if that was meant there was shipping location in CA.

They ship from wherever they have it. I live in Ohio, and mine shipped from Ilinois. Others have reported having them sent from other parts of the country, and the shipping point has nothing to do with where they were ordered from. Costcentral must have a business presence in CA too since PA and CA are the only places they charge tax. That or CA has some goofy tax law, which wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Going into this ZR24w, I anticipated some sort of overall quality drop off because I'm gaining 4" of screen size but paying $175 less than what I paid for my 20" NEC. If they transferred the exact technical specifications of the 20WMGX2 over to a 24" size, I'd imagine that it would retail for something like $1500+. But that monitor does not exist, as far as I know.

Did you consider NEC 2490UXI2? Or the new PA241W?

Back