HP ZR24w

just thought id give a quick update on how customer support has gone so far.

i submitted a ticket this afternoon around 3
4:40 i received an email back tell me that i have 3 years of on site warranty, and that i need a tech to come replace it.
5:50 i confirm i want a tech to come and replace it
7:30 i get a phone call from HP confirming my information, and telling me a local agent will be calling me tomorrow (was after business hours today) to schedule a time.

so far this is some of the best customer service ive ever had.

Yeah I'll go with HP monitors in the future again if they continue to keep up this kind of service. Dell wants you to ship back your defective monitor (I'd rather have a tech personally come to my house instead of the hassle of me going to box up the monitor and drop it off).

After about 4 hours of gaming so far, I can confirm this panel is AWESOME. No perceptible input lag (or so little it doesn't matter), and I swear the response time is the closest thing I've seen to my old VX922. Given that the max RT of the 922 was about 9-11ms, that's pretty damn good. Do be sure to turn on video overdrive (RTA). I haven't noticed any artifacting yet from it.

IQ is excellent. I nearly forgot how much I missed the smooth gradients and accurate color of my CRT. An 8-bit panel is so nice.

Current settings:

6500k sRGB default
Bright: 37
Cont: 83

So far the default color is great out of the box, I can't really see a color cast compared to my calibrated 2007FP, so I don't see much of a reason to tweak it.

What are you guys paying for this monitor?

Cost Central has them for $538. HP for $425.

Is now the time to buy? Will the price go up soon?

I paid $419 with shipping from costcentral.com last week. My monitor should arrive tomorrow.

The current price on CostCentral.com is $390 + shipping.

I paid $807 shipped for two from ShopBLT. ETA is April 14th according to my order status.

ah I was looking at the wrong model. CC says $408 shipped

If I'm not in a hurry, should I buy now or wait?

Ordered from Cost Central, got it real quick last Wednesday, no problems. Great monitor, aside from the stuck pixel just 'southwest' of center. HP support (very politely) told me there was nothing they can do about it as it's an ISO Class II pixel class monitor. Will try and contact Cost Central tomorrow. Right now, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get stuck with a stuck pixel. I'll update when I know more, and any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. Real bummer seeing as how I was finally making the move from my A7217A 24" CRT...was avoiding the LCD market because of stupid issues like this, bleh.

just thought id give a quick update on how customer support has gone so far.

i submitted a ticket this afternoon around 3
4:40 i received an email back tell me that i have 3 years of on site warranty, and that i need a tech to come replace it.
5:50 i confirm i want a tech to come and replace it
7:30 i get a phone call from HP confirming my information, and telling me a local agent will be calling me tomorrow (was after business hours today) to schedule a time.

so far this is some of the best customer service ive ever had.

Wow, that's amazing. HP keeps impressing me. I've bought a laser printer and a TN display from HP and thought that both were very high quality products. When I upgrade my display to IPS, definitely going with HP again.

Does anyone know if the HP on site warranty is applicable in Canada if the monitor is purchased in the US?

I got my monitor in today and fooled around with it for about 2 hours or so trying to calibrate it as close to my Samsung LCD TV as possible. I have gotten really really close, it's nearly identical, it's just this monitor cannot produce the dark blacks and whites like my TV. I must say I am very happy with it so far, no dead pixels, no lag at all in video games and I am a big gamer.

The only thing is that I am going to have to upgrade my CPU to play games at this high resolution, I had a 1680x1050 res monitor before.

Does anyone know if the HP's 'Zero Bright Dots Guarantee' applies to this monitor? Just received my ZR24W today and there is a bright dot red pixel.

The HP policy indicates that 'certain' 24" monitors have this guarantee, but since the ZR24W is so new, not sure if the policy also apply to this monitor.

Ordered from Cost Central, got it real quick last Wednesday, no problems. Great monitor, aside from the stuck pixel just 'southwest' of center. HP support (very politely) told me there was nothing they can do about it as it's an ISO Class II pixel class monitor. Will try and contact Cost Central tomorrow. Right now, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get stuck with a stuck pixel. I'll update when I know more, and any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. Real bummer seeing as how I was finally making the move from my A7217A 24" CRT...was avoiding the LCD market because of stupid issues like this, bleh.

Here is HP's official policy. Maybe you'll have better luck with another rep and have them read their own policy. BTW it's a "performance" class monitor so quality standards are higher.

I got my monitor today and let me start out by saying I'm a long time CRT user trying to move my main screen to an LCD. The good news is I have no dead pixels and better brighter colors than my old CRT. I also have usable desk space now. The bad news is a little bit of grainy look to light colored backgrounds and the off angle glow on black screens. I get just a little off center and the screen turns gray, so much so my old 17" TN display does much better in off angles viewing. Should it really be that bad?

I think I could have lived with the drawbacks of an IPS LCD but it looks like I may have a bad unit, I seem to have some horizontal banding and a slight bright horizontal patch in the middle of my screen.

Sorry about the bad images, my camera does not like me. :p
http://www.neva.org/images/IMG_7361.JPG
http://www.neva.org/images/IMG_7362.JPG

Is anyone else seeing these horizontal problems? I'm debating if I should try my luck with a replacement or just return this monitor and go back to my CRT.

No banding here, that definitely looks like a manufacturing defect. Something's not aligned right in the layers above the panel or the coating has a flaw. If it were me, I'd RMA it.

that is one very screwed up screen. id get it replaced immediately.

i just looked at mine again in the dark, i THINK i can see a vertical bar on mine also, no where near as apparent though.

Forever1 said:
The bad news is a little bit of grainy look to light colored backgrounds and the off angle glow on black screens. I get just a little off center and the screen turns gray, so much so my old 17" TN display does much better in off angles viewing. Should it really be that bad?

I think I could have lived with the drawbacks of an IPS LCD but it looks like I may have a bad unit, I seem to have some horizontal banding and a slight bright horizontal patch in the middle of my screen.

Sorry about the bad images, my camera does not like me. :p
http://www.neva.org/images/IMG_7361.JPG
http://www.neva.org/images/IMG_7362.JPG

Is anyone else seeing these horizontal problems? I'm debating if I should try my luck with a replacement or just return this monitor and go back to my CRT.

My monitor definitely does not have that pronounced banding/patchy quality; I'd RMA it personally. The off-angle glare is not going to go away, and you will notice it especially on black backgrounds. You really need to view the display from a horizontal level from ~3ft distance to not see any of that glow.

Sometimes I find myself leaning in 10" from my monitor for whatever reason, and that glare is serving as a good reminder that I shouldn't be doing that ;). Bad posture anyway.

rimble said:
HP support (very politely) told me there was nothing they can do about it as it's an ISO Class II pixel class monitor. Will try and contact Cost Central tomorrow.

Cost Central will just send you to HP; I am pretty sure they do not even take returns?

In accordance with HP's policy here; you might be stuck with it but it is unlikely.

Any pixel or sub-pixel that is stuck on bright (visible on a black background) is a warrantied defect.

Any pixel that is completely dead (shows as dark on red, blue, and green solid backgrounds) is a warrantied defect.

The policy does allow up to 4 'dot' (sub-pixel) defects. These would show up as a small dark spot on only one of the RGB colors, and be invisible on the other two (?). Actually I may have my thinking reversed. Would a dead red sub-pixel be visible on red, or visible on blue and green, and invisible on red? Sorry about the tangent but if anyone can answer that it would be appreciated.

Ironically, here's to hoping you have at least one fully dead pixel out of those two :p.

-sfhf

Would a dead red sub-pixel be visible on red, or visible on blue and green, and invisible on red? Sorry about the tangent but if anyone can answer that it would be appreciated.
I would expect a dead red subpixel to show up by its absence on an otherwise white screen as a cyan (the complement of red) pixel. On a red screen it would be a black pixel, and on blue and green screens, it would be invisible.

I got my monitor in today and fooled around with it for about 2 hours or so trying to calibrate it as close to my Samsung LCD TV as possible. I have gotten really really close, it's nearly identical, it's just this monitor cannot produce the dark blacks and whites like my TV. I must say I am very happy with it so far, no dead pixels, no lag at all in video games and I am a big gamer.

The only thing is that I am going to have to upgrade my CPU to play games at this high resolution, I had a 1680x1050 res monitor before.

If your CPU is good enough for 1680, it is good enough for 1920. Look for a new graphic card.

Here is HP's official policy. Maybe you'll have better luck with another rep and have them read their own policy. BTW it's a "performance" class monitor so quality standards are higher.

Yeah, I tried that. I guess I was a little taken aback by the rejection, so didn't escalate to a manager. I'll call again and kick it up a notch.

sfhf said:
Cost Central will just send you to HP; I am pretty sure they do not even take returns?

In accordance with HP's policy here; you might be stuck with it but it is unlikely.

Any pixel or sub-pixel that is stuck on bright (visible on a black background) is a warrantied defect.

Any pixel that is completely dead (shows as dark on red, blue, and green solid backgrounds) is a warrantied defect.

The policy does allow up to 4 'dot' (sub-pixel) defects. These would show up as a small dark spot on only one of the RGB colors, and be invisible on the other two (?). Actually I may have my thinking reversed. Would a dead red sub-pixel be visible on red, or visible on blue and green, and invisible on red? Sorry about the tangent but if anyone can answer that it would be appreciated.

Ironically, here's to hoping you have at least one fully dead pixel out of those two

Yeah, I expect Cost Central not to help.

As for HP, I guess it all depends if this is a "performance" monitor or not. Their regular monitors allow 2 bright pixels, but 0 on their "performance" line. Of course the rep on the phone didn't even have that info, so he ended up going to get someone else and who knows what they came up with on the spot.

I need to read some more and clarify the error too. I think it's a stuck sub-pixel, which is bad news for me. It's not always black, nor always white. I remember it's red on a white background, and disappeared into a few other colors (don't remember which at the moment).

I do see the ZR24W on their "Performance Monitors" page now, so I'll be sure to point this out next time I call. Need to gather more evidence to guide them through their own support policies I think. Just wasn't prepared for the initial rejection.

I hope it works out, it's sad that I'm trying to figure out how to 'pop' and kill a pixel so I can get support, hehe.

CutterX said:
For people who have dead/stuck pixels: http://udpix.free.fr/

10 hours of it didn't make a difference.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Whoa. Apparently "free ground shipping" through HP = I get it in 24 hours. Nice surprise, no doubt. Now I just have to suffer through 8 more hours of work before I can take this guy home.

Ordered mine from CC on Thursday, got in Monday. Looks great, no dead pixels or other defects. I turned down the brightness and turned on overdrive, performed great in a quick run through a couple borderlands missions. Very happy with it so far. :D

Date/Time: APRIL 6, 2010 AT 08:31

Looks like mine will be waiting for me when I get home from work! Ordered from Direct Canada Sunday night with free shipping, which turned out to be Purolator Express which always seems to be 1-2 business days for me.

I think I may just have a hard on to get home... Is that a normal side effect associated with this monitor? :D

I bought a new car yesterday and I'm not sure if I'm more excited for this monitor to arrive or the new car.

So by now a lot of people have the monitor but theres still mixed reviews on the input lag. Some have said its non existent (which to me = 0. Like the LG L227WT which I have), some have said around 11-16ms (which I am leaning to believe), and some have said 30-60ms.

Do we have any real definite values?

From this:

Side by side:

To this:

Had to create some deskspace:

Wide:

This is monitor is HUGE!

Ok, I just had a sleep related issue on one of my ZR24w's.

I left for about an hour, came back and my system and ZR24w's were sleeping.

Upon awaking, one of the two ZR24w's was displaying "snow".

I was not able to be immediately fix it by re-selecting the DVI input source.

Instead, I power cycled the display using the front button and it immediately regained signal.

This just happened again with the same panel.

This just happened again with the same panel.

If I understand correctly you running Mac OS X with dual displays. At work we have the same problem with OS X and the secondary monitor, Its a planar lcd in our instance. I searched google and many Mac users are having this issue with the secondary monitor not regaining a signal after coming out of sleep mode. The only solution I know of is to turn off sleep mode.

Ok, weird thing. I can't use the HP Display Assistant. The "Adjust", "Wizard" and "File" tabs are greyed out. The tabs that I can access don't have as many options as those shown in the manual either. Did I end up with a crippled version of the software? Has anyone else had success installing and fully using HPDA?

Is it because my 5870 isn't supported yet? o_O I'm using the 10.3 driver

Last edited:
Unpacking mine now. Is the included software needed for anything vital? I generally avoid installing software whenever possible.

Last edited:
Unpacking mine now. Does the included software needed for anything vital? I generally avoid installing software whenever possible.

I didn't install any additional software, but used the cd for the monitor driver.

Back