HP Touchpad at Staples for $300!

What is a touchpad again? I thought my laptop already had one of those.

Edit: 9.7" IPS screen, 1.2ghz dual core snapdragon/adreno 220 that will actually play 264 high profile...and WebOS, which I don't really have much experience with. I'm tempted to roll the dice at this price.

Last edited:
Very tempted to buy one of these. I have an HP Veer (world's smallest smartphone and with WebOS!) that can sync up with it so I can send texts and call people over the TouchPad if I wanted to.

Really, the only problem at this point is app support, but now that HP owns Palm, there's a big push to get all of the big names on board.

While they mention in that article that "a $200 weekend-long discount on the TouchPad does not spell doom" I'm going to go the opposite direction and say the HP Touchpad is dead outta the gate - personal opinion, but HP is just too late to the game anymore, and the only "winners" from now on are either going to be iOS (which means iPads exclusively) or Android-based products.

Windows 8 will do something for tablets when it's released, but at this point as of today, it's Android or iOS from here on out, and everybody else just does their best to find a niche of consumers willing to take the chance.

But, $300 for the Touchpad is one damned fine deal indeed, if you're interested in that much lockdown and barely any apps for it. I just don't see why HP bothers with the Palm holdouts anymore, it's a dead end... I sure as hell hope they realize this, and soon.

But, $300 for the Touchpad is one damned fine deal indeed, if you're interested in that much lockdown and barely any apps for it. I just don't see why HP bothers with the Palm holdouts anymore, it's a dead end... I sure as hell hope they realize this, and soon.

You were kidding about the "Android and iOS from here on out," right? Especially with the whole app thing.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/01/mystery-how-many-android-tablet-apps/

Yes, that was as of July 1st.

Going by Android Central's "optimized for Honeycomb" list, there are only 292 apps as of right now. That's still less than what HP had on day one.

Yes, the Android tablets can run apps other than those specifically for Honeycomb, but that's not a good tablet experience.You don't buy an iPad for the iPhone apps or the Blackberry Playbook for the Android apps.

HP has a good tablet. Will it become an iPad-level success? No. But HP is certainly doing a good job pushing WebOS, and they aren't planning on giving up.

This is false. I work at Staples and the official communication from corporate is that we are NOT matching this $100 off from HP. It is an online price/deal and we don't match those. The only coupon we will accept is the Staples $100 off any tablet.

This is false. I work at Staples and the official communication from corporate is that we are NOT matching this $100 off from HP. It is an online price/deal and we don't match those. The only coupon we will accept is the Staples $100 off any tablet.

Well everybody else sold out so I guess they didn't get the memo.

If there are stores out there matching this, trust me, the management won't be in place at those stores much longer. Most stores have very limited stock of these items anyway. I know my store only has had 3 come in since we started carrying them. Just because stores are out of stock, doesn't mean they sold them today either. Depending on what class store it is, they may not have had many or any at all to begin with.

If there are stores out there matching this, trust me, the management won't be in place at those stores much longer. Most stores have very limited stock of these items anyway. I know my store only has had 3 come in since we started carrying them. Just because stores are out of stock, doesn't mean they sold them today either. Depending on what class store it is, they may not have had many or any at all to begin with.
Odd, corporate seemed pretty supportive of the deal for the overstocked stores.

Could be going by region or district then. But I know for sure we received communication to not match this deal and that no stores would be doing so.

Last edited:
I dont understand why touchpad is hated and people come out bashing it. no I dont have the touchpad and no I dont have the ipad, and yes at work I have played with all of them. Hands down, no bias, Web OS blows iOS and Honeycomb outta water. It is just a pleasure to use, it is not a screen with bunch of icons on there and yes the apps will have to make a difference but there will be enough to enjoy. It is a pleasure browsing the web.

is it lacking hardware wise? no it is actually pretty damn snappy. When I buy the tablet I would buy touchpad in a hearbeat.

I bought two different honeycomb tablets and honeycomb still feels beta, and slow. I ended up returning one of them and selling the other one. I am too broke to buy one now but it will be touchpad.

The Asus transformer force closed on me like 20 times in a day or even more. The motorola zoom would not load market and same with asus, and I would have to refresh it 5 times before the market network error would go away. Plus the the transitions lag after a while.

I dont understand why touchpad is hated and people come out bashing it. no I dont have the touchpad and no I dont have the ipad, and yes at work I have played with all of them. Hands down, no bias, Web OS blows iOS and Honeycomb outta water. It is just a pleasure to use, it is not a screen with bunch of icons on there and yes the apps will have to make a difference but there will be enough to enjoy. It is a pleasure browsing the web.

is it lacking hardware wise? no it is actually pretty damn snappy. When I buy the tablet I would buy touchpad in a hearbeat.

I bought two different honeycomb tablets and honeycomb still feels beta, and slow. I ended up returning one of them and selling the other one. I am too broke to buy one now but it will be touchpad.

The Asus transformer force closed on me like 20 times in a day or even more. The motorola zoom would not load market and same with asus, and I would have to refresh it 5 times before the market network error would go away. Plus the the transitions lag after a while.

Not to mention the best (and often imitated) implementation of multi-tasking.

If I didn't already have a BB Playbook I would choose the touchpad over the ipad and android in a heartbeat.

I picked up a 32gb Touchpad from Staples. It rang up with the instant $100 off at the register before throwing down the $100 Staples coupon. I did hear some stores were not accepting them but it wasn't really a regional thing, just by store-manager.

So far I love mine, does pretty much everything I need it to do and is very easy to use. I tried out the Honeycome tabs but they just dont flow as nice and I HATED trying to read PDFs (I have many texts that are 2k+ pages) on android because they do not zoom or scroll very smooth at all. I get tired of all the "HP is too late" crap, people said the same about google when they came to the smartphone market with android. Clearly, coming late means you are DOA... :rolleyes: I use my android phone everyday, and wish it was a easy as webOS.

True, HP might not succeed on their own, but webos is waiting to be licensed to other manufactrures, if HP did that they will get more recognitinon.

Does anyone know if you can make calls and receive/send texts with a palm pixi?

Radio Shack has them for $350.

Link

Very very tempting. Might pick one up just to try it out.

That plus the 50GB free storage from box.net for buying one..... ugg...

If app support is like the Pre (that I own), I don't see how the Touchpad is that great. Looks and design are great, and WebOS is nice once you learn it. However, all cool apps go elsewhere. Example: HP sponsored March Madness but the mobile app to watch for free was for android and iOS only.

I agree, its just to obscure for app devs to support like android and iOS. I love webOS, but on the phone side hardware is pathetic at best.

So I saw this and thought "wow $300 for that thing why not just buy an ipad 2" then I look at the ipad 2 and see that its over $500. Sheesh.

Tablets just arnt productive enuff yet to warrant their prices.

So I saw this and thought "wow $300 for that thing why not just buy an ipad 2" then I look at the ipad 2 and see that its over $500. Sheesh.

Tablets just arnt productive enuff yet to warrant their prices.

Depends on what you do.

I use my playbook all the time for work. I'm in computer stuffs.

(Not sure why anyone wanted one over an Android tablet anyway!)
Because Android is version cluster that will never match Apple because of it.

And Google just bought Motorola. If they start favoring Motorola, which is almost impossible to not let happen, watch all the other tablet makers jump ship. HP, actually, is an idiot because they could have had a ready alternative OS in case that happened.

That being said, I'm glad I passed on the sale.

Because Android is version cluster that will never match Apple because of it.

And Google just bought Motorola. If they start favoring Motorola, which is almost impossible to not let happen, watch all the other tablet makers jump ship. HP, actually, is an idiot because they could have had a ready alternative OS in case that happened.

Android has very little meaningful fragmentation at this point in time, and it does not affect the end user regardless. There's a reason Android is now the #1 and growing platform, and it's not because they can't "match" apple, it's because they CAN and do, *BEAT* apple.

Google bought Motorola for IP, you're really reaching for hypothetical straws here.

Google bought Motorola for IP, you're really reaching for hypothetical straws here.
Doesn't matter why they bought them.

There's a reason Microsoft Office destroyed all the competition, being the under same company as Windows mattered. Incest is virtually unavoidable.

Whew! I was almost tempted to get one of these on sale for $300 earlier, but passed.

Now HP announces it's discontinuing the TouchPad and other WebOS hardware.

I dodged that bullet!

It's a shame, I thought the OS looked nice, it needed some apps, but I could have live with that. Unfortunately the tablet being so chunky and heavy was why I decided not to bother with it. Some better hardware might possibly have saved it.

Doesn't matter why they bought them.

There's a reason Microsoft Office destroyed all the competition, being the under same company as Windows mattered. Incest is virtually unavoidable.

Despite your straw man, again why would that matter to someone looking to buy a tablet? ;) Android is great!

Despite your straw man, again why would that matter to someone looking to buy a tablet? ;) Android is great!

"straw man".

You're taking this discussion too seriously. Or you spend too much time on political forums.

Whew! I was almost tempted to get one of these on sale for $300 earlier, but passed.

Now HP announces it's discontinuing the TouchPad and other WebOS hardware.

I dodged that bullet!

It's a shame, I thought the OS looked nice, it needed some apps, but I could have live with that. Unfortunately the tablet being so chunky and heavy was why I decided not to bother with it. Some better hardware might possibly have saved it.

It is an amazing os, and could have been the best mobile OS if not for horrible hardware and capital for advertising. I didn't think HP would be able to make it work. Shame I really like the OS.

They are going to have to give these away... hopefully google will pickup the palm patent portfolio.

Back