HP R3000Z laptop $399.99 AR at Office Depot. Starts SUNDAY

Golden_Salmon said:
I got mine today, I am on it now :) I booted a game, but the laptop still didn't get too hot. Does it only activate after a certain temperature? Is it broken? Anyone else have this?

It's probably like most laptops - it only comes on above a certain temperature.

I'm confused, is this deal still going on? People seem to be ordering it still...

Konrad said:
I'm confused, is this deal still going on?
I posted the newer deal ($499AR) a couple of pages ago that expired yesterday (3/26).
People seem to be ordering it still...
How? It was a B&M only deal and OD is closed today.

Does anyone have dead pixels? I have one stuck on red, but when I pull the screen gently forward or push on the left/right sides a bit, it dissapears. It is there normally, then when I push the back of the screen, it becomes more appearent (lesss flickering). Any thing I can do?

Golden_Salmon said:
Does anyone have dead pixels? I have one stuck on red, but when I pull the screen gently forward or push on the left/right sides a bit, it dissapears. It is there normally, then when I push the back of the screen, it becomes more appearent (lesss flickering). Any thing I can do?

No dead pixels on mine. Screen is absolutely perfect.

pxc said:
I posted the newer deal ($499AR) a couple of pages ago that expired yesterday (3/26).How? It was a B&M only deal and OD is closed today.

OD was open in Virginia on Sunday, but the deal ended Saturday, anyway.

Ok, guys, I've found another little gripe.

It's probably inane to mose folks....

Under normal conditions, the system throttles up and down as needed, and I don't notice anything... if I'm laying in bed, with it on my lap and the fan blowing, the machine doesn't heat up much (~34C for the CPU@800, throttling up and down). Put Seti@Home on the sucker, though, and turn it on... throttles to 1800 (okay, that's good) but the temp shoots up to 64C. HOT. Turn off Seti, and almost instantly the temp drops to 56, 52, 48, 44, 40, 38, 36... and then back to 34, after about 20 seconds. Why can't the system do a better job controlling the temp ALL the time? I'm going to have to get one of those USB Dual Fan decks to get a bit more cooling going for when I'm playing something intensive while lounging in bed..... that sucker DOES get warm when it's under full load! I didn't notice it before, because I wasn't holding it in full load, and when it was just "running" doing average stuff, throttling up and down, the temps stayed cool.

RGMBill said:
Ok, guys, I've found another little gripe.

Put Seti@Home on the sucker, though, and turn it on... throttles to 1800 (okay, that's good) but the temp shoots up to 64C. HOT. Turn off Seti, and almost instantly the temp drops to 56, 52, 48, 44, 40, 38, 36... and then back to 34, after about 20 seconds. Why can't the system do a better job controlling the temp ALL the time?
It's not surprising that the CPU runs hotter under load than idle. The CPU is made to withstand the heat, so it's not a problem that the CPU goes up to 64C.

The only gripe there is that the "Mobile Athlon XP-M" and "Mobile Athlon 64" run as hot as Mobile P4 CPUs.

pxc said:
It's not surprising that the CPU runs hotter under load than idle. The CPU is made to withstand the heat, so it's not a problem that the CPU goes up to 64C.

The only gripe there is that the "Mobile Athlon XP-M" and "Mobile Athlon 64" run as hot as Mobile P4 CPUs.

pxc, I'm not saying that I expected the CPU to stay at 36 under load; I'm saying it's pretty darn close to instanteous, the jump from 36 to 64, and pretty darn quick to go back down. If the system can handle dumping the heat that well, then shouldn't it have done a better job of keeping the ramp up smoother, too, and holding the heat down? I know the A64 can handle >70C without issues; my lap cannot, however. I'd just have been MUCH more comfortable with the CPU under maxload not breaking 50-52C, with it taking a minute or two to hit that. That requires beefier airflow over the heatpipe. It's such a quick delta that I'm afraid of thermal cracking on the core.

Question for someone who's opened their R3000; is it possible to rig something to spread the heat out even further over the air exposed surface? And where, exactly, does the heatpipe come into contact with the standard airflow in the system? Near the exhausts (sides), or near the entrance (back)?

RGMBill said:
pxc, I'm not saying that I expected the CPU to stay at 36 under load; I'm saying it's pretty darn close to instanteous, the jump from 36 to 64, and pretty darn quick to go back down. If the system can handle dumping the heat that well, then shouldn't it have done a better job of keeping the ramp up smoother, too, and holding the heat down?
What do you figure the heat capacity of 1-2g of silicon is? :p

The heatpipe is effective at removing the heat, as you can see from quick drop in temperature, so no that's about as good as it gets without getting too bulky. i.e. 1 lb of copper like a desktop heatsink would sure do better, but no one would want to make the space for it or accept the extra weight.

RGMBill

Try undervolting your CPU. Default @ 1.8ghz is 1.5 volts. I have successfully set my cpu @ 1.8 ghz @ 1.3 voltage. Reduces temps by 10-15 degrees Celcius. My max temp my laptop reaches on carpet is 50 degrees after playing CS:S.

Program to undervolt/overvolt and underclock/overclock:
Clockgen - http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php

Download the Nforce 3 one.

Rieze said:
RGMBill

Try undervolting your CPU. Default @ 1.8ghz is 1.5 volts. I have successfully set my cpu @ 1.8 ghz @ 1.3 voltage. Reduces temps by 10-15 degrees Celcius. My max temp my laptop reaches on carpet is 50 degrees after playing CS:S.

Thx for that tidbit. For the life of me, I have been trying to get my lappie to run at full speed on battery. I'm beginning to think that this is an impossibility. I have tried everyting. I've used the MS driver, v1.0.0.0 and v1.1 drivers from AMD, and v1.1.0.18 driver from Compaq. Under all circumstances, my XP-m 2800+ runs @ 800MHz when on battery and set to Always On. I even went to device manager to verify which driver version was being used.

On the r3000 forums, someone claims to have used a program called crystalCPUID or something, but that program was too cryptic for my taste (and it crashed as soon as i changed the mulitplier). Hopefully clockgen will be a lot simpler to use.

Does anyone know if there's a third-party program that can throttle the multiplier/voltage automatically according to load, just like PowerNow is SUPPOSED to do?

P.S. Wireless issues have been resolved. I broke down and bought a $40 Netgear Super-G which matches the laptop perfectly. If anyone is looking to buy a wifi PCMCIA card, I highly recommend any netgear super-g card...the color matching is uncanny :D

Rieze said:
RGMBill

Thanks Rieze. How is stability with it undervolted, though? I've gotten a couple of BSOD already (not more than I'm used to, but a couple) so I'm wondering how stable she'll be undervolted. (yes, all computers are she's... they infuriate men, they tease us, they tantalize us, we adore them, we despise them, they bring us pleasure, they break our hearts, they make us sing, they cost us an arm and a leg, and we'd be lost without them).

RGMBill said:
(yes, all computers are she's... they infuriate men, they tease us, they tantalize us, we adore them, we despise them, they bring us pleasure, they break our hearts, they make us sing, they cost us an arm and a leg, and we'd be lost without them).

Yeah but where's the wet, dripping hole? Sorry...just couldn't resist :p

RGMBill said:
Thanks Rieze. How is stability with it undervolted, though? I've gotten a couple of BSOD already (not more than I'm used to, but a couple) so I'm wondering how stable she'll be undervolted. (yes, all computers are she's... they infuriate men, they tease us, they tantalize us, we adore them, we despise them, they bring us pleasure, they break our hearts, they make us sing, they cost us an arm and a leg, and we'd be lost without them).

maybe i should add... Your mileage may vary...

My computer is completely stable at these settings. I ran prime 95 for almost a day and it has no problems. I played cs:s at my friends house on the carpet and it worked fine.

If it locks up, try a higher voltage or lower the clock if you're overclocking.

For what its worth...I gave up on trying to get the PowerNow driver to work correctly on battery. I'm simply using ClockGen. That program was incredibly easy to configure. I was even able to create shortcuts on the desktop that can automatically throttle to max performance (1.6GHz) or max battery (800MHz). After making those shortcuts myself, I noticed they had step-by-step instructions on the cpuid site...oh well. Anyways, this laptop is running exactly how I want now. I also have an extra 256MB on the way... :eek:

P.S. If anyone's interested in the settings I use or the temps I get, drop me a PM.

:woowoo:

Mine went from China to Alaska to Indiana to California. Maybe i'll get it tomorrow.

pxc said:
:woowoo:

Mine went from China to Alaska to Indiana to California. Maybe i'll get it tomorrow.

Mine took 7 days to get to me. It went from China to the Philippines to Japan to Alaska then to Indiana then to California. It took so long because it was held up in china for 2 days, held up in the Philippines for a day and then held up in Indiana for 3/4 of a day. but it finnaly got to me last week.

I got the AMD64 3000+ and the regular HD and Screen. I get like 4+ hours batt. life and the cpu throttles down to like 350mhz thats even better than my Athlon XP-mobile 2800+ that can only go down to 500mhz

I am currently on the laptop now, enjoying some nice wireless. It seems as though when I boot I have a dead pixel, well, stuck on red, so stuck pixel. Either way, it begins blinking quickly and is gone in about a minute after boot. Anyone else have a pixel that needs 'warming up' on any monitors? I've never seen it before. Is it common? I thought it was dead/stuck or not :p

Ive been lucky with all the laptops, and LCD monitors Ive had to not have a dead pixel.

cwt137 said:
Mine took 7 days to get to me. It went from China to the Philippines to Japan to Alaska then to Indiana then to California.
I got it this morning. The FedEx guy knocked an hour after I posted the last message. I made a ghost image, upgraded the memory, then turned it on for the first time.

Pretty nice computer for around $700AR.

I got the 256mb DDR memory, hoping to stick some more in myself. What is the FSB of the stuff they give you? Anyone know a good place to get a good deal on some memory for it as well?

Golden_Salmon said:
I got the 256mb DDR memory, hoping to stick some more in myself. What is the FSB of the stuff they give you? Anyone know a good place to get a good deal on some memory for it as well?

All RAM from Compaq is PC2700. This very question has been asked many times at r300forums.com and every time answered as follows...don't waste your money on faster RAM (PC3200 or above). The memory will NOT run at 400MHz if you upgrade both sticks, because the PCI/AGP clocks are not fixed. Any increase in memory speed will cause the PCI/AGP busses to run out of spec. From what I have read at that forum, the laptops won't even run stable at 400MHz when overclocked.

On the other hand, getting faster mem can't hurt. It just won't run any faster than PC2700. So don't pay more for it than you would on a PC2700 stick.

As for good deals, it seems like Newegg is the place. Especially with the $.99 shipping. I just picked up a stick of Kingmax 256MB PC2700 for like $27 shipped. Should be getting it on Monday. Newegg has about 5 sticks under $30 for you to chose from.

Hmm, I think I'll take the same deal you got on the Kingmax. I was thinking about getting a 512mb stick, but decided against it. Going for 512 is enough to boost video game preformance to where the mx 440 is dragging around.\

Edit: sold out of kingmax, I got 256mb of CENTON pc2700 for 24.17 shipped.

Like my sig says, I overclocked to 2.1GHz (AC, 1.866GHz on battery max... 191MHz memory). This thing is very fast. :D

The 64MB 440 go didn't overclock that great, but it seems to be stable at 250/470. I'm satisfied with that overclock. That's close to a 460 go.

Golden_Salmon said:
I got my laptop with only 256MB in it and I just ordered a stick of 256MB on eBay last week for under $25. It looks like they're all selling for <$25 on eBay.

Just got an email that they aren't going to honor one of the rebates ($100). They said it took to long to send it in. How it could take too long when I sent it in before I even GOT the laptop, I don't know, but this is BULL. Anyone else having issues with the rebates? Other than that, I'm loving this machine, and just yesterday bought a 1GB stick to flesh it out to 1.5GB (I'm running Apache/PHP/MySQL on it for development work, among the standard stuff).

I am going to be VERY pissed on this, and make myself a supreme nuisance if they pull this.

I haven't received a rejection email yet and I also sent in the 2 $100/$50 rebates the day after ordering it. I did get a HP email ($30 rebate woohoo :rolleyes: ) that the laptop rebate was approved.

OD is pretty good about paying rebates. Just call them up and they should be able to fix it over the phone. I'll check my rebate status in the morning.

All of my five rebates I sent in have been approved (I made two purchases). OD $150 (2), OD $100 (2), Compaq (only sent in 1). The first purchase I made was in early March and the rebates were approved around mid-March so hopefully they will get here soon.

I just receive my HP $30 rebate the other day and it was approx. 30 days after sending it in. HP sent me an email about four days before I got the check saying it would be delivered in 2 or 3 weeks!

Back