HP ProCurve for home use?

Ayrton

n00b
I have finally ran 4 drops to each room in the house, and now I have to get it all together.

I have been looking at some used HP ProCurve 48 ports, and I am seeing A,B, and C revisions of the 2650, and yet I am not finding much info on the differences.

I am also looking at a couple of 2610 version, but again having some issues with info.

I am clueless on networking of this size, and could greatly use some guidance.

Is the ProCurve suitable for home, and what are the revisions I should be looking at?

Any of those revisions are going to be worlds better than home user products from dlink and the like. Procurve products are a nice blend of stability and some advanced features without the required skills and knowledge of products like cisco.2610'

I still have several 2610's in my network at work. Great little switch and can be had pretty darn cheap these days.

procurve is good stuff. Although we use the enterprise stuff. either way HP makes a good switch.

I use procurve switches at home and procurve wireless APs in my house as well hooked up to a cisco router.

I push PoE to all connections. Everything works like a champ.

I recently moved to an HP 2610 24 port managed switch at home. Was using a Cisco 3550, which I likes, but I prefer the silence the HP provides, versus the high pitched whine of my cisco switches dying fan, haha.

I use an 1800-24g at my home. Why not?

Unless you can find a cheap 48-port gigabit switch, I would get an HP 1800-24g (or 1810) and whatever 24-port 10/100 switch with gigabit uplinks. All stuff that doesn't need gigabit can go on the latter. I think that would be good enough and cheaper.

You have a 12 room house?

With the basement, yes... That and having extra never hurts with home media.

I am seeing 2650 48 port ProCurves under $200, and 2610s under $300.

I just wanted to make sure there was not something I should look out for in the different revisions.

yeah i think his point was that you can get a 24 port gig procurve for around $100, or even two if you need 48 ports and save $100 vs a 48port 10/100 switch.

A lot of us run the 1800-24g at home, it's a solid, silent gig switch.

I wish I had gotten mine for $100. Think I paid more like $200ish and that was thanks to MS cash back on Ebay.

man, maybe I'm wrong, I got mine for $150 but it was through a buddy, just checked ebay though and they're quite a bit higher so I guess I don't know what I'm talking about :D what's new...

go to procurve.com and search for the part numbers of the switches you want the specifications for

the HP part numbers look like this "J4899A" for switches

Back