HP LP3065 vs. LG W3000H

brumwald

Gawd
It's pretty much between theese two displays now (HP LP3065 vs. LG W3000H), unfortunately there's barely any info on them? Doesn't seem to be that popular in the US so doesn't seem to be a big user-base here on hardforum.

Such a task as finding out if their input lag seems like an impossible task. Anandtech did a input-lag/buffering test but they compared it to another TFT (*facepalm*), namely Dell 2407. Quote: "Between the two 30" displays, the LP3065 appears to suffer from less internal lag, consistently running about one frame ahead of the 2407WFP."
Consistently?
Most people don't get consistent numbers with input lag, digtal versus on 2407WFP for instance:
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=88&mo1=116&p1=1217&ma2=35&mo2=411&p2=3807&ph=1
I'd thought that a 30" without any scaler would perform better than that.

I haven't found any numbers on LG W3000H. You'd think that they both would have very low input lag since both lack a scaler, then again both are listed with overdrive on prad.de which might collect some frames before outputting them.

Two reviews of the LP3065:
http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2950&p=1
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2007/review-hp-lp3065.html

It's hard to compare the two due to the HP being ~two years old and the LG ~six months, most reviews of the HP is therefor almost two years old and the LG, well I can't remember now if I've seen a good review of the LG. It's tempting to just assume that newer is better but whats holding me back a litle is that the HP has absolutely superior looks (except for the stand), and that it has 3 inputs. Oh, and the fact that newer equals better doesn't really apply to monitors (still it feels a bit strange to spend that much money on such an old display (when considering that 30" in general have a long way to go quality-wise)).

My impression is that both are pretty much the same, but then the HP is based on reviews and such that are two years old - that might not be that relevant today and inferior to the LG.

Oh and there's the Samsung 305T(+) which has the advantage to be available in non wide-gamut, but the disadvantage of being *VA so I haven't really given it much thought (should I?).

Any thoughts?
Also, would be great to know what kind of coating they use.

Seemingly the Samsung 30" panels currenty have better quality control that LG.Display IPS ones - from what I've read uniformity and backlight bleed is much better.

The LG uses the LM300WQ5 panel vs the WQ1 in the HP (same as the 3007-HC according to TFTCentral database) so make of that what you will. Specs seem marginally better (Response time 5ms vs 6ms) on the WQ5, but that's not enough to make a difference, especially if the uniformity is worse.

Thanks!
You're not making it easier though :p

I guess my biggest gripe about this purchase is backlight and uniformity issues, since thats the akilles heel of the 30"s, that surely makes a strong point for the samsung. Checked the stores having the 305T and found out that most of them really have 305T+, so that makes me think that the 305T might have been discountinued? Didn't find any reputable store with 305T, so the lack of wide gamut might not be true in practice after all.

What about HDCP?
As far as I've found only HP has it. Only real use of it that I would have would be to connect the xbox through it (no, I don't have and won't get a TV). Either through a scaler or by MS adding 1280x800 in the november update (dunno if HDCP is required for gaming though).

Another important issue is whether or not they make any noises. I've found out that the HP makes a ticking sound about every fourth second in standby mode - luckily I never use standby so thats not really a con for me.

Trying to list their Pros and Cons.
Samsung
PRO:
  • good backlight uniformity
  • low backlight bleed.
CON:
  • S-PVA
  • One input
  • Old (whether thats a bad thing)
  • Input lag (about 2 frames)

LG
PRO:
  • H-IPS
  • New (whether thats a good thing)
CON:
  • One input
  • Looks

HP
PRO:
  • Three inputs
  • HDCP
CON:
  • Old (whether thats a bad thing)

Lack of HDCP really isn't a big deal, but it would be nice to know (and if the xbox 360 requires HDCP for gaming).

If samsung had S-IPS I'd go for it based on what I know (which btw. doesn't feel like much at all), but S-PVA scares me. Color shifting haven't bothered me before, but I haven't used a PVA panel much either, and only on small screens, the problem can only get worse on a 30"...

As of now (hold you're hat though, this changes often :p) it's HP or Samsung.

Worst of all, I have no way of trying any of the screens before buying one.

Actually I've used the 360 over HDMI > DVI with my Dell 2005 FPW and it works, and the Dell has no HDCP. I didn't try viewing an HD movie with it, but it worked digitally with my Dell just fine, so for 360 gaming HDCP is not a pre-requisite per se.

My PS3 will NOT work without HDCP under any circumstances.

Note that you won't connect an Xbox to any of the listed 30" panels with only dual link inputs. These inputs only work with computers.

So HDCP only matters for watching Blu Ray or other protected content on your PC.

Another advantage for the original Samsung 305 (if you can find one, most are the new "+" ones which are wide gamut) is that they have standard gamut sRGB colors. Which will look quite decent on all applications out of the box. The wide gamut screens can look quite garish.

I was the short term owner of the Dell 3007-HC. I thought the color was quite nasty in an over the top way and there was no easy fix. Screen uniformity and white glow was also the pits.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression that all 30" displays can manage 1280x800 as well (which makes sense since it's exactly a fourth of the native resolution and it's just as simple as mapping one pixel to four). And thus you could drive it with a single-link source capable of 1280x800. Xbox 360 is coming with 16:10 resolutions this november (at least thats what the rumors say) and IF 1280x800 is going to be supported I don't see why it won't work.

If not one could get an external scaler (expensive though, probably adds a some lag as well (shouldn't matter as much on a console though)) to scale it to 1280x800 (haven't seen a dual link scaler and that doesn't really make much sense in this case, and it would probably cost waay more than it would be worth).
I'm not really a gamer but it would seem a bit silly to have a 30" display and only be able to play on my 20" monitor thats right beside it :p At least when friends are coming over.

I'm aware (and appalled) by the wide gamut issue, though due to the lack of options I've settled that I can live with it, there are tricks (movies in MPC: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=723315 perhaps games: http://www.driverheaven.net/vista-r...2-ati-color-control-custom-color-profile.html ) and future software might make it easier as well (I do plan to keep it for quite some time). Except for perhaps 305T there really isn't much to choose from.
There really is only one alternative to the 305T, apple. But apples costs over $500 more than any of the ones I mention here and then you get their worthless stand as well, not really an option.

And I'd rather have wide gamut than a S-PVA if I'm going to be annoyed by the color-shift during normal use. Although to be realistic I don't think it'll bother me much at all, theres still the "what if" though - it is a lot of money involved for me at least. Color shift + the added (I assume) input lag of ~1 frame compared to the competition is enough to make me sleepless over my decision though :p
(I'm assuming here that the HP/LG has 0-1 frames of input lag as all(?) 30" without a scaler seems to have, but as said haven't really got any numbers on it and anandtechs test do seem to imply something else for the HP at least).

It is possible that will work in the future (xbox), but today it doesn't.

I've been looking around a long time for a 30", I think I will settle for he W3000H-BN because some stores carries them stock (I'm in Canada) , I can screen a good unit before buying it.

As somebody suggested it, I will try it using several shades of gray (0-25-20-75-100) to spot backlight, striping or pixel problems.

Knowing about quality variation across LG panels made me draw this conclusion, otherwise I would have gone with the 3090.

tarc

Wrong thread? :)
Theese are the cheapest of the 30" ;)
I've looked at the NEC 3090 but it's too much money for me, and for it to be worth it it would have to be perfect, which it unfortunately isn't.

Discouraging thread to read:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1358344
That thread (besides from making me rethink 30" all together) made me think less of samsung.

And in general I'm leaning towards HP more and more. Mainly because the LG and HP seems to be somewhat the same and that the HP has superior looks (my opinion, my friends thinks that I'm wrong/exaggerating :p) + three inputs.
(gosh, feels silly to base such a decision on looks but thats the only thing I think I know enough about)

Oh, and as if it wasn't hard enough, heres a rumor (yay :rolleyes:) for a new panel for the LG:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1358293

Why not try out the Dell 3007WFP-HC?

I mean, that's one of the good things of living in the US: you can buy a 3007WFP-HC. Here in Europe you can't get them; Dell pushes it's disgusting 3008WFP for "just" € 1999 :mad:

Let's call Dell at the same time and let the call escalate a few levels in their chain of command and ask for a re-release of the 3007WFP-HC in Europe :p

After months of researching 30" LCDs I decided to wait and see if maybe something better than the current models debuts in 2009. Of the 30"ers available now, the Gateway XHD3000 is the only one I'd buy, mainly because of all the inputs it offers.

Well, would I have to choose a 30" LCD for a limited price, it would be probably HP 3065 :)

Limited price on a LP3065 in Europe? Haha!!! The cheapest is €1200 for a HP LP3065.

As far as I can see, the LG W3000H is the "cheapest", starting at €930

It's that the Euro suddenly isn't worth a damn, but for $1.59 for €1,- it would be great to import a LP3065 (or 3007WFP-HC) from the USA. I've done so in the past with a new 2007FP on eBay: I was bidding the most and payed a $100 shipping above it and it still was €150 cheaper then from Dell in my country. I guess that seller was quite happy with me. I've seen 2007FP going for a lot less. But most sellers don't offer international shipping, sadly.

Back