HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

I'm really interested in where you've found these "bad reviews"-- I wanna know that I'm not going crazy, as I scoured all the reviews I could muster before my purchase, and found none.

He must be referring to user reviews, as opposed to "pro" reviews. Newegg comments, forum posts, etc.

I'm really interested in where you've found these "bad reviews"-- I wanna know that I'm not going crazy, as I scoured all the reviews I could muster before my purchase, and found none.

Ok I probably shouldn't say "bad" reviews, rather, reviews (on newegg and elsewhere) that mention a couple of caveats such as poor text rendering and an unusually high number of units having issuess with panel uniformity. Just playing the devils advocate that would say, buy a solid monitor for less money and calibrate it. I could buy a new TN panel every year, or a new IPS (at the price of the HP) every 3 years. (I guess I like buying things...)

I almost pulled the trigger on this monitor but backed out due to the text issue, since I code quite frequently there is no possibility that I will use a monitor with poor text rendering.

I never noticed any text rendering issues. Is every lp2475w prone to it?

Not sure. It's either a widespread issue that only effects a small segment of the user base (the rest don't notice or aren't prone to it) OR it's an defect like any other, only present on specific panels when it manages to slip through QA testing and into the retail market.

Not sure. It's either a widespread issue that only effects a small segment of the user base (the rest don't notice or aren't prone to it) OR it's an defect like any other, only present on specific panels when it manages to slip through QA testing and into the retail market.

Those are the only 2 options that I can 'see'...but I can't 'see' the text issue. :D

Its not a taste issue. I'm very sensitive to fuzzy text and my LP2475w is good, my LG245wp is a touch better up close, but its definitely among the better of all monitors for text. Certainly a safe bet better than any cheap TN 24" ever made, and I've seen many. Headache causing fuzz while reading has been something I've been long sensitive to. The one thing that makes me jump for joy that the crt days are over. If my HP was fuzzy, I'd be flipping out with the rest of you.

My condolences to those with fuzzy text and tint issues. The inconsistency with LCDs, even within the same model, is the one thing that makes me miss the crt days :(

Based on my experience with my LP2475w, the text rendering issue can be fixed in 30 seconds by running the cleartype tuner on the Microsoft web site. Before I ran this tuner I did notice what everyone was talking about: text was a little messed up looking because of the color "shift" on one side of the letters. If you disable cleartype then the text is razor sharp but aliased. If you enable cleartype and run the cleartype tuner, and select one of the 2 or 3 choices that makes the font thinner, then afterwards text looks very good with no color shifting around the letters. FWIW I'm running a GTX 285 connected to the monitor with the included DVI-to-DVI cable, and I've got my contrast turned down to 65 (using TFT Central settings w/ their .icc profile). The reason I mention my contrast setting is because excessive contrast can cause text to fuzz up slightly (or at least this is true on CRT monitors).

Last edited:
Based on my experience with my LP2475w, the text rendering issue can be fixed in 30 seconds by running the cleartype tuner on the Microsoft web site. Before I ran this tuner I did notice what everyone was talking about: text was a little messed up looking because of the color "shift" on one side of the letters. If you disable cleartype then the text is razor sharp but aliased. If you enable cleartype and run the cleartype tuner, and select one of the 2 or 3 choices that makes the font thinner, then afterwards text looks very good with no color shifting around the letters. FWIW I'm running a GTX 285 connected to the monitor with the included DVI-to-DVI cable, and I've got my contrast turned down to 65 (using TFT Central settings w/ their .icc profile). The reason I mention my contrast setting is because excessive contrast can cause text to fuzz up slightly (or at least this is true on CRT monitors).

I tried every possible setting in the Cleartype tuner, including literally every single step in the Advanced menu, and none of them made it acceptable. Some were better than others, but nothing made it "usable". I wish it had been that easy, but at least for me, it wasn't. And Cleartype off was horrible, skinny text that was completely unreadable. I've got to believe it is a panel defect that only affects some panels, because I can't believe anyone could have used the panel I had and though it was acceptable (I used to think it might be just me - but Deeky has the exact same issues as I did, so I think now that I wasn't crazy). I'm beginning to wish I had tried RMAing mine instead of just moving to the NEC. On my NEC there is no red at all on the left side of the text, but the HP has a red line on the left of every vertical line in the text (and that LCD test screen with the white grid on the black background was terrible).

I tried every possible setting in the Cleartype tuner, including literally every single step in the Advanced menu, and none of them made it acceptable. Some were better than others, but nothing made it "usable". I wish it had been that easy, but at least for me, it wasn't. And Cleartype off was horrible, skinny text that was completely unreadable. I've got to believe it is a panel defect that only affects some panels, because I can't believe anyone could have used the panel I had and though it was acceptable (I used to think it might be just me - but Deeky has the exact same issues as I did, so I think now that I wasn't crazy). I'm beginning to wish I had tried RMAing mine instead of just moving to the NEC. On my NEC there is no red at all on the left side of the text, but the HP has a red line on the left of every vertical line in the text (and that LCD test screen with the white grid on the black background was terrible).
Yeah I agree with you; based on your description it was probably a panel issue. I'm very picky about the same issues you are and I wouldn't have been able to live with that panel either. It looks like LG might have some QC issues with their panels, or HP is doing something that isn't consistent.

Is there a reason you'd prefer the HP to the NEC, other than cost? From what I'm told, it's the superior display in almost every regard (though it trails slightly when it comes to input lag).

I'm back on my 226BW. The HP is sitting on the floor next to me, like a dejected dog. Sad, really. One thing I can say: moving back to a TN panel is like being flicked in the nuts.

Hopefully I'll be able to shed some light on the issue in a day or two, when the replacement shows up. I've found another dude with the same issue, Forceman. Check the comments section of the Trusted Reviews LP2475w review. There's a fella on there named "Mikael" (I think) who RMA'd his display due in large part to "fuzzy" text.

Is there a reason you'd prefer the HP to the NEC, other than cost? From what I'm told, it's the superior display in almost every regard (though it trails slightly when it comes to input lag).

I'm back on my 226BW. The HP is sitting on the floor next to me, like a dejected dog. Sad, really. One thing I can say: moving back to a TN panel is like being flicked in the nuts.

Mostly just the cost for the HP vs NEC question. I also like the additional inputs on the HP, particularly the DisplayPort input. I probably won't end up switching back to the HP, but I'd at least consider it.

Great nuts quote.

I've just bought a HP LP2475w, it's a KD911AT#ABB, for 529€. You get what you pay for, it seems.
Rev 111 F/W 44 Manufactured in CZ January 2009
LED does not stay off, there is a line of dead pixels almost the width of the mouse pointer in the lower right of the screen.
Backlight bleed is quite noticeable on the sides when looking at center head-on. That is in a dark room with contrast and brightness set to 0, using DVI-D connector at Native Res. and Whitepoint.
Haven't had issues with text or hue shifting, but viewing angle seems to be quite bad, xp's taskbar is darker depending from where i look from.
Apart from these issues the display seems to be quite nice, I wish i had a fully working specimen with me here, will see if I can get it replaced by the local shop tomorrow.

Reading parts of this thread was very informative, I hope I can add some information of value, too.

edit: the screen is too bright to be used in a dark room, I've set the graphic cards driver setting down to somewhat acceptable levels.

Last edited:
I've just bought a HP LP2475w, it's a KD911AT#ABB, for 529€. You get what you pay for, it seems.
Rev 111 F/W 44 Manufactured in CZ January 2009
LED does not stay off, there is a line of dead pixels almost the width of the mouse pointer in the lower right of the screen.
Backlight bleed is quite noticeable on the sides when looking at center head-on. That is in a dark room with contrast and brightness set to 0, using DVI-D connector at Native Res. and Whitepoint.
Haven't had issues with text or hue shifting, but viewing angle seems to be quite bad, xp's taskbar is darker depending from where i look from.
Apart from these issues the display seems to be quite nice, I wish i had a fully working specimen with me here, will see if I can get it replaced by the local shop tomorrow.

Reading parts of this thread was very informative, I hope I can add some information of value, too.

Seems that most people who have an LP2475w built in the Czech Republic have problems. Make sure you call HP and ask for a replacement panel. A line of dead pixels is simply unacceptable.

Seems that most people who have an LP2475w built in the Czech Republic have problems. Make sure you call HP and ask for a replacement panel. A line of dead pixels is simply unacceptable.

Appears so, out of the 6 or so displays i checked around here all were manufactured there though.

Appears so, out of the 6 or so displays i checked around here all were manufactured there though.

Did you purchase it from a store or online? From what I understand, the people in Europe receive Czech-made monitors and the people in the States get monitors from China.

Is this monitor good for gaming. Also is it considered the current top monitor for overall use?

Did you purchase it from a store or online? From what I understand, the people in Europe receive Czech-made monitors and the people in the States get monitors from China.
It is not a rule. It true that most of monitors in Europe comes from Czech, but sometimes comes from China. Probably, depends on importers.
From other side, I think that QC in Czech republic is much better and restricting then in China manufactures.

Europe here.
Went to different stores to check manufacturing date and revision. Bought it from a store with 14-day no questions asked return policy.
If everything fails i'll likely order it directly from HP.

Europe here.
Went to different stores to check manufacturing date and revision. Bought it from a store with 14-day no questions asked return policy.
If everything fails i'll likely order it directly from HP.

This is the first time I've heard of any actual store (B&M) carrying these monitors. That's very good indeed.

A question for those who actually have this monitor.

How is the ant-glare screen on this monitor? I’m getting ready to purchase it but I am partial to glossy panels and was wondering if the anti-glare will be that much of a deterrent for me?

Rawr. Called HP this morn. The unit is back-ordered (again, this time for sure). So I'm stuck in a holding pattern. Good news, I just pulled the trigger on a BFG 285 OC+ for about $314 USD after shipping and taxes (factoring in a free copy of CoD5 and a $30 MIR). At least I'll be able to plug that in early next week and hook up my current LP2475w. See if there's any change.

How is the ant-glare screen on this monitor? I’m getting ready to purchase it but I am partial to glossy panels and was wondering if the anti-glare will be that much of a deterrent for me?

I haven't noticed any glare. Have my window directly to the right of me. It's probably better than those glossy monitors.

looks nice
131l1057.jpg

Man am I in doubt about this. I was considering the Beng G2400WD. I play games a lot but do other stuff too on the computer. From movies to work you name it. But most of the time i'm gaming. I just don't want to loose competitiveness due to the monitor. So my question is. Is this monitor good for overall use without loosing much in games?
Would you consider this to be the best overall lcd in the market?

I need a honest opinion ...

I'm a designer, and i need a wide gamut monitor ... is this a valid option?

I was thinking on saving money for a 2690WUXi2 but, at the same time, it feels good to spend less money than we first though and have a pretty decent monitor to work with...

thanks for the help

I never noticed any text rendering issues. Is every lp2475w prone to it?

There's no real way to measure by just observing forums, if you can work with your r/etailer (or whomever you buy from), and track down date, panel REV. and F/W version, you should be able to get a good display. But even if you just went through known r/etail channels, odds are on your side to get a good display. Most manuf. have quotas on how many bum displays they can ship--so, odds are, if you happen to be in the minority of defects, you can RMA and roll the dice, once again. Plus HP has decent Customer Support, which is always part of what you're paying for, in the end.

Is this monitor good for gaming. Also is it considered the current top monitor for overall use?

2&3.
Man am I in doubt about this. I was considering the Beng G2400WD. I play games a lot but do other stuff ...Would you consider this to be the best overall lcd in the market?

1&2.No. This is mainly for users looking for wider-gamut, and monitor which can balance good color temp, luminance, richer blacks. More than likely a photographer on a strict budget, or web design/dev looking to splurge a little (if only a little).

3.LaCie, Ezio, and others would be considered the top monitors, but it's all relative; depending on the needs of the user.

The screen is matte-finished. So, it more or less diffuses light, than reflects it.

That has crossed my mind. I have better than 20/20 vision (or at least I did, before this). I could be naturally susceptible to a negative aspect of the display that the majority of people otherwise don't notice.

That'd have to be a very low %. I realize a few ppl in this thread, and I'm sure elsewhere on the 'Interwebs' have run across your issue -- but I highly doubt any monitor on the market could damage your vision. So, I'll assume you're joking, because I have near or better than 20/20 and have none of the aforementioned problems.

The problem could stim from defective electrical, a defected panel, or could just be a lighting problem in your environment . See 1st response, to silent hero.

I need a honest opinion ...

I'm a designer, and i need a wide gamut monitor ... is this a valid option?

I was thinking on saving money for a 2690WUXi2 but, at the same time, it feels good to spend less money than we first though and have a pretty decent monitor to work with...

thanks for the help

See my first and second response to Cometer.

I'm right there with you on the budgeting. As a freelance web designer/developer and amateur photographer, it fits in my budget nicely with great value & ROI.

Also see http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

Man am I in doubt about this. I was considering the Beng G2400WD. I play games a lot but do other stuff too on the computer. From movies to work you name it. But most of the time i'm gaming. I just don't want to loose competitiveness due to the monitor. So my question is. Is this monitor good for overall use without loosing much in games?
Would you consider this to be the best overall lcd in the market?

It's the best but at a certain price. You can't say "best overall lcd in the market" because the market is a broad term and has different price as well as performance categories. In terms of sub-$800 H-IPS panels, I would certainly say that it's probably the best deal right now (for around $550 USD). In terms of all H-IPS, it ranks at the top but is outperformed by monitors such as the NEC LCD2490WUXi.

LP2475w owners, please try this -- display the following image in a browser, then move the window up and down or scroll it up and down. On my LP2475w, the image takes on a green tint. This doesn't happen with my other IPS (NEC 20WMGX2).

ColorShift.gif

My LP2475w is made in China, November 2008, GIG 122, F/W REV 045.

LP2475w owners, please try this -- display the following image in a browser, then move the window up and down or scroll it up and down. On my LP2475w, the image takes on a green tint. This doesn't happen with my other IPS (NEC 20WMGX2).

ColorShift.gif

No green tint here. It's grey throughout.

ColorShift.gif

This doesn't happen on my 20WMGX2 either. The more I read this thread the more disinclined I get towards buying an LP2475W. I have no doubt that it's a quality 24" lcd but the QC issues are somewhat disconcerting.

Yes. No polarizer = white glow from off angles. It's only a problem if you're viewing the display from quite a ways off center, as the video shows.

EDIT: 2000th reply! Woo!

Last edited:
Yes. No polarizer = white glow from off angles. It's only a problem if you're viewing the display from quite a ways off center, as the video shows.

EDIT: 2000th reply! Woo!

No you are the 2001 reply! I got the 2000th reply....lol

Why not show the comparison from head on from a normal viewing distance, it won't be as stark then. The 2490 is the top of the line without question, but is the polarizer and sRGB worth the extra $400-$600?

Why not show the comparison from head on from a normal viewing distance, it won't be as stark then. The 2490 is the top of the line without question, but is the polarizer and sRGB worth the extra $400-$600?

To some, yes. To others, no. That's a very subjective question. Lots of people are bothered by the glow and wide-gamut. Many of those people don't have the financial means to get an NEC 2490 so the HP is one of their next best alternatives. Some of those people can afford the NEC and feel that its price is justified by those added features.

To some, yes. To others, no. That's a very subjective question. Lots of people are bothered by the glow and wide-gamut. Many of those people don't have the financial means to get an NEC 2490 so the HP is one of their next best alternatives. Some of those people can afford the NEC and feel that its price is justified by those added features.

How about when using either of these two monitors as a gaming display? Would the glow and wide-gamut issue be a better trade off because of better performance when using the HP as a gaming display compared to the NEC?

I just ordered the HP but if the NEC would be just as good as far as gaming is concerned I'm prepared to send the HP back and get the NEC.

Back