HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

I'm satisfied thus far with DVI quality while hooked up my to my computer. Although, I just hooked up my xbox 360 via component and am very underwhelmed. I've set the xbox to run at 1080p. Set my display to use 1:1 so my image isn't stretched, and set sharpness just one level lower than it was by default. What I'm noticing is extreme jaggedness on edges and text, and a lot of blurry textures. These are things that I never noticed before on my 42" rear projection LCD tv, which is 720p and connected via component as well.

My initial thoughts are that maybe it's the fact that I'm using component for 1080p and maybe that's not ideal for image quality at 1080p. I would try HDMI if I could, but I don't have the elite system. I thought about getting the VGA xbox cable just to try it out, but really don't want to waste the time/money.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Is the content in 1080p, not all XB360 content can display at 1080p and is upscaled.

Is the content in 1080p, not all XB360 content can display at 1080p and is upscaled.

I tried Fable 2 (1080p) and Gears of War (1080i).

Fable 2 looked better the farther away I sat. GoW for the most part looked pretty good.

I noticed a lot of blurriness and jaggies throughout the xbox dashboard which should run natively at 1080p.

What hardware are people finding works best to calibrate their wide gamut LP2475w? I borrowed an Eye 1 Pro Spectrophotometer from work and calibrated my screen. Even after calibration, colors seem overly saturated. I used advanced mode thinking that calibrating with the on screen display would make it better, but still the colors were too vibrant. Maybe the Eye 1 Pro doesn't support wide gamut displays?

I have seen a lot of suggestions for the Spyder 3 to calibrate a wide gamut display. However, I've also seen a lot of negative reviews about it. In particular, that they are not calibrated out of the factory and are not reliable. I'm not sure I want to spend a couple hundred bucks on a colorimeter that may not calibrate my monitor any better than what I've got now.

Also, is it not true that if I calibrate my screen and use the OSD to set the RGB that the display will be correct across the board (games, applications, OS, etc)? It seems to be that this isn't the case? I don't understand the difference between using OSD to specify the colors and using an ICC.

What hardware are people finding works best to calibrate their wide gamut LP2475w? I borrowed an Eye 1 Pro Spectrophotometer from work and calibrated my screen. Even after calibration, colors seem overly saturated. I used advanced mode thinking that calibrating with the on screen display would make it better, but still the colors were too vibrant. Maybe the Eye 1 Pro doesn't support wide gamut displays?

I have seen a lot of suggestions for the Spyder 3 to calibrate a wide gamut display. However, I've also seen a lot of negative reviews about it. In particular, that they are not calibrated out of the factory and are not reliable. I'm not sure I want to spend a couple hundred bucks on a colorimeter that may not calibrate my monitor any better than what I've got now.

Also, is it not true that if I calibrate my screen and use the OSD to set the RGB that the display will be correct across the board (games, applications, OS, etc)? It seems to be that this isn't the case? I don't understand the difference between using OSD to specify the colors and using an ICC.

Calibration wont fix the oversaturated and bold colors of widegamut monitor in programs that are not color managed, meaning about every program other than photoshop and firefox browser. They simply wont read the color correction information of ICC profiles, only the gamma curve corrections of your GPUs LUT work and even those games tend to reset to 0 unless you lock them somehow, like with Powerstrip or such program.

Good test to see if your calibration has worked is opening some picture with strong colors on both firefox and IE and compare the difference. (remember though that in Firefox 3.5 the ICC V4 support is broken so you have make a lower ICC version calibration if possible) Though this still wont help you in games and other programs, but atleast your web browsing isnt saturated. :)

Only help with oversaturation is that if you have an ATI card, open CCC and there should be a saturation control somewhere. Reduce it around 10-20%. Its not perfect as it tends to affect less-saturated colors too, but it still helps tremendously and looks very good subjectively. Much better than that oversaturated cartoon madness. Nvidias didnt have this feature some time ago, but Skakruk above said that Nvidia has finally added negative values to their Digital Vibrance control. If so, then that can be used to reduce oversaturation in games too.

In calibration, OSD is used to correct the color temperature of your monitor, and ICC has information on color correction, both are parts of calibrating your monitor. OSD changes will work everywhere and in every program, obviously, because you are altering the colors of your monitor itself afterall. But that last bit information with color correction and gamut conversion is in ICC profiles and that requires a software that reads them and uses them.

Last edited:
I tried Fable 2 (1080p) and Gears of War (1080i).

Fable 2 looked better the farther away I sat. GoW for the most part looked pretty good.

I noticed a lot of blurriness and jaggies throughout the xbox dashboard which should run natively at 1080p.

It's probably the component connection then, or the monitor is not accepting the 1080p over component, VGA will probably work better.

You did set the console to output 1080p in the dashboard right? What does the monitor say in the OSD under "Info/ Current Resolution" when feeding it the 1080p signal?

Sorry about this post, but I'm really excited.

My HP LP2475W is in town! I'm picking it up in 10 minutes, cross your fingers for a perfect panel, pretty please? :)

Really stupid question, but ithe 22" version is what I have just now. The vertical tilt on the stand seems to only want to stay up, will tilt adjustment work when you drop the monitor into the stand?

OK, so a couple of days later (but only 11 hours of backlight) I think I'm ready for a quick review.

I got a panel made in Czech Republic, April 2009; FW GIG068, REV GIG143.
Let's see about the potential flaws:
- No dead, stuck pixels; all subpixels are working properly.
- One thing that bothered me was a red stripe noticeable on the left with white text on black background, due to the order of the subpixels (RGB) — see pic below (*2).
- I did notice the green to pink tint, but honestly you only see it if you are thinking about it, otherwise you won't even notice it's there. I hope it improves with time, though.
- Small yellowish tint on the left side.
- The stand is much better and not ugly at all. It "stands" out because of its color, but once you turn on the monitor you'll forget about it.

About the quality:
- The IPS panel is great: it's BIG, awesome quality, viewing angles, response time, color accuracy, brightness, etc. It's really an amazing display for all purposes. Oh, and what an amazing black level!
- Working on color managed apps is a dream - everything looks outstanding, even compared to a 23" Apple Cinema Display. So far I've tried: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, Firefox, Preview and, to some extent, Safari. I forgot to say, I'm on a Mac.
- The wide gamut can be a problem when looking at things on Quick Look, for example, or even Finder. I say problem because color is important in what I do (read further). For the moment I cannot rely on Quick Look to check an image, I hope Snow Leopard brings improvements to this. update: I restarted Finder and Quick Look is now reading embedded profiles!
- Wide gamut, a problem? I don't think so. For the average user and for the average usage, the wide gamut difference is noticeable but not necessarily in a negative way. I've watched films and played games, they all look great if not better — c'mon, sometimes a bit more color isn't a problem... So I'd say for entertainment usage is very good.
- I didn't waste time and applied TFTCentral's ICC profile right from the start — it looks great, I don't feel the need to adjust it further until I buy a calibrator.
- I've used it with a PS3 on 1080p through HDMI, below are some shots of GTA IV (*1) — everything works as expected: 1:1 pixel mapping, you can control sharpness.

Now, some images! (all the pics were shot in the dark and are presented with no editing other than resizing for accuracy)

3747475420_3cfdb6a8be_o.jpg

General view

3746685801_1302febf9e_o.jpg

Main OSD menu

3746685649_3f547b0d36_o.jpg

Input quick selection menu

3746685515_a52d326e1b_o.jpg

Monitor status — input detection

3746685175_4257e2d9d9_o.jpg

Up close view, don't mind the artifacts, they aren't there

3746685929_16facb71a1_o.jpg

3747476244_a545f18fb3_o.jpg

*1 - GTA IV

3747476532_740d50c187_o.jpg

Whip It trailer — HD 1080

3746686601_ff75990311_o.jpg

*2 - Red stripe on the left, not very clear on the pic, but the red subpixels on the left seem brighter than any other red subpixels.

It seems HP improved their QC, even though it took quite some time.
Overall, it's a great display. 5*

Last edited:
Hi,

I am looking for a photographic work monitor, with a budget of 650€.

I own an X-Rite i1 Display 2 colorimeter and I am familiar with color management.
Since I plan to buy a large format inkjet printer, I consider both sRGB and "wide gamut" monitors.

I spotted the following models:
  1. EIZO FlexScan S2242W (~550€): 22", 1920*1200px, S-PVA, "wide gamut" (95% of Adobe RGB).
  2. HP LP2475W (~550€): 24", 1920*1200px, H-IPS, "wide gamut".
  3. NEC MultiSync 2490WUXi2 (~750€, exceeding my budget:(): 24", 1920*1200px, H-IPS (without A-TW polarizer on this new version:(), sRGB, hardware calibration possible:).
Open to any suggestion.

I am a bit discreet concerning the potential benefits of H-IPS panels, without A-TW polarizer, over S-PVA panels.
Actually, I owned a Dell 3007WFP-HC and I noticed very important black level variations depending on the viewing angle. Uniform dark backgrounds looked like "shiny surfaces". My previous P-MVA and S-PVA monitors performed much better on this aspect.
On the other hand, half and dark tones brightness and color were pretty consistent whatever the viewing angle. No gamma and color shift like on my previous P-MVA and S-PVA monitors.

Therefore, I'd like to get some experiences, reviews or even photographs that illustrate thepotential benefits of H-IPS panels, without A-TW polarizer, over S-PVA panels.

Many thanks for your help.

lélé

I think you can't go wrong with this HP monitor. It's within your budget, it's a 24" and it's an IPS.

More so, if you need this for photography work and already have a calibrator you certainly won't be disappointed.

Calibration wont fix the oversaturated and bold colors of widegamut monitor in programs that are not color managed, meaning about every program other than photoshop and firefox browser. They simply wont read the color correction information of ICC profiles, only the gamma curve corrections of your GPUs LUT work and even those games tend to reset to 0 unless you lock them somehow, like with Powerstrip or such program.

Good test to see if your calibration has worked is opening some picture with strong colors on both firefox and IE and compare the difference. (remember though that in Firefox 3.5 the ICC V4 support is broken so you have make a lower ICC version calibration if possible) Though this still wont help you in games and other programs, but atleast your web browsing isnt saturated. :)

Only help with oversaturation is that if you have an ATI card, open CCC and there should be a saturation control somewhere. Reduce it around 10-20%. Its not perfect as it tends to affect less-saturated colors too, but it still helps tremendously and looks very good subjectively. Much better than that oversaturated cartoon madness. Nvidias didnt have this feature some time ago, but Skakruk above said that Nvidia has finally added negative values to their Digital Vibrance control. If so, then that can be used to reduce oversaturation in games too.

In calibration, OSD is used to correct the color temperature of your monitor, and ICC has information on color correction, both are parts of calibrating your monitor. OSD changes will work everywhere and in every program, obviously, because you are altering the colors of your monitor itself afterall. But that last bit information with color correction and gamut conversion is in ICC profiles and that requires a software that reads them and uses them.

I have an Eye One 2 Display calibrator i use for this monitor. Mind elaborating how calibration in Windows 7 will be any different? :confused: I haven't seen much mention of this, thought you might know.

It's probably the component connection then, or the monitor is not accepting the 1080p over component, VGA will probably work better.

You did set the console to output 1080p in the dashboard right? What does the monitor say in the OSD under "Info/ Current Resolution" when feeding it the 1080p signal?

Yes, 1080p was selected and the OSD was reporting 1920x1080.

I'm tempted to get my brother in law's elite system over here to try out the HDMI.

OK, so a couple of days later (but only 11 hours of backlight) I think I'm ready for a quick review.

I got a panel made in Czech Republic, April 2009; FW GIG068, REV GIG143.
Let's see about the potential flaws:
- No dead, stuck pixels; all subpixels are working properly.
- One thing that bothered me was a red stripe noticeable on the left with white text on black background, due to the order of the subpixels (RGB) — see pic below (*2).
- I did notice the green to pink tint, but honestly you only see it if you are thinking about it, otherwise you won't even notice it's there. I hope it improves with time, though.
- Small yellowish tint on the left side.
- The stand is much better and not ugly at all. It "stands" out because of its color, but once you turn on the monitor you'll forget about it.

About the quality:
- The IPS panel is great: it's BIG, awesome quality, viewing angles, response time, color accuracy, brightness, etc. It's really an amazing display for all purposes. Oh, and what an amazing black level!
- Working on color managed apps is a dream - everything looks outstanding, even compared to a 23" Apple Cinema Display. So far I've tried: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, Firefox, Preview and, to some extent, Safari. I forgot to say, I'm on a Mac.
- The wide gamut can be a problem when looking at things on Quick Look, for example, or even Finder. I say problem because color is important in what I do (read further). For the moment I cannot rely on Quick Look to check an image, I hope Snow Leopard brings improvements to this.
- Wide gamut, a problem? I don't think so. For the average user and for the average usage, the wide gamut difference is noticeable but not necessarily in a negative way. I've watched films and played games, they all look great if not better — c'mon, sometimes a bit more color isn't a problem... So I'd say for entertainment usage is very good.
- I didn't waste time and applied TFTCentral's ICC profile right from the start — it looks great, I don't feel the need to adjust it further until I buy a calibrator.
- I've used it with a PS3 on 1080p through HDMI, below are some shots of GTA IV (*1) — everything works as expected: 1:1 pixel mapping, you can control sharpness.

Hi, I got my 2475 few days ago. I have the exact same version as yours. It's also made in Czech Republic, April 2009 and same FW 068.
And I am very surprised that I have also the same problem, small yellowish tint on the left side and green to pink tint. Especially the pink tint on the right side of the panel bothers me a lot. Calibration cant help at all. I have contacted HP and they agree DOA and new replacement unit. But I am afraid that I might get a same unit since this sound more like a common problem for the April 2009 batch.

Hi, I got my 2475 few days ago. I have the exact same version as yours. It's also made in Czech Republic, April 2009 and same FW 068.
And I am very surprised that I have also the same problem, small yellowish tint on the left side and green to pink tint. Especially the pink tint on the right side of the panel bothers me a lot. Calibration cant help at all. I have contacted HP and they agree DOA and new replacement unit. But I am afraid that I might get a same unit since this sound more like a common problem for the April 2009 batch.

It's said to improve with time... Of course this is unacceptable as a principle, so I think you could consider a replacement. I've heard you can try the new panel and only after that you send the one you consider less good.
Let us know how it goes, best of luck :)

Yeah, heard that someone got a slight better one after 3 replacements. Let's see....

It's said to improve with time... Of course this is unacceptable as a principle, so I think you could consider a replacement. I've heard you can try the new panel and only after that you send the one you consider less good.
Let us know how it goes, best of luck :)

@webzeb

I bought the HP initially but the red / green tint was bad on mine to the point of being unacceptable and it had to go back. Its great for games etc but for photo work the colour temperature difference was no good - especially considering the cost of the screen.

I've now got the Eizo. I've literally plugged it in about half an hour ago and so far so good. Colours are exceptional, black depth - well the screen looks off where its fully black and the response times are pretty awesome.

OK, so its an S-PVA screen but I really think the gap is closing between S-PVA and H-IPS, especially given the quality control issues on the cheaper H-IPS's (the Philips which uses the same panel as the HP has the same red / green tinting issues). I'd rather have a perfect S-PVA screen than an imperfect H-IPS one.

Quality control for Eizo is paramount - the following is from their website:

'To these lot sequences, we utilize an approach called “cell manufacturing.” This is a manufacturing process where products are assembled by a group of four or five EIZO employees who implement our “five-at-a-time” approach. This is to say, if a total of 25 monitors are to be assembled in a given mass-production lot, then five groups of five monitors are produced. In the unlikely event that a monitor component such as a screw, cushion, or connector remains on the assembly line after completing one of the groups of five, our employees immediately isolate the previously assembled five monitors and take corrective action. Our system of cross-checks performed at every step of assembly provides a highly nimble, direct response, ensuring production accuracy without sacrificing efficiency.'

I mean that's ridiculous in today's mass production world.

The main negative so far is that the HP seemed to give images more depth but that is countered by the Eizo's more natural presentation. Also, the is the bottom left of the screen seems a little less bright than the rest of the panel but this may improve with time. Also I've not properly calibrated it yet

As there are not many pro reviews of this monitor yet I intend to do an amatuer version once I've dialled it in fully.

Ay specific questions please feel free to ask

Danny B

Many thanks for your feedback Danny B! :)

How does the EIZO S2242W perform in terms of viewing angles?
Did you notice more gamma or color shift compared with the HP LP2475W? In dark, mid and bright tones?
Did you also notice "black crush" in the center of the screen, or a significant gamma shift in the corners?

Regards.

lélé

Last edited:
Viewing angles are brilliant - at least as good as the HP. I don't notice any colour shift that's sometimes associated with S-PVA screens and all tones are exceptionally well defined.

With regards to gamma shift - Eizo perform individual gamma adjustment at on all S2242W's to account for any slight anomolies between individual panels - again, the attention to detail is extraordinary. Go to the Eizo website and under the About tab read about their manufacturing processes.

Another thing to bear in mind is that it is a 22" screen running at 1920x1200 so menu text etc can be on the small side. Not a problem though in Vista or Windows 7 with the adjustable text DPI

Also - are you in the UK. If so Overclockers have a Lacie 324 as B grade stock at £499 - that's an awesome screen and Novatech are getting in a handful of Hazro HZ26Wi's - nearly went for one of those but was slightly put off by some negative user experiences. Could be worth a punt though considering everything's covered by distance selling regs.

Cheers

Danny B

Another thing to consider is the lp2275w. I just got this monitor and the image quality really is great. Uses the same panel as the eizo 1680x1050 22" monitor.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Actually, I was referring to gamma and color shift depending on the viewing angle. (Sorry if it was not clear, but I am not a native English speaker.;))
All *VA monitors suffer from this problem. The question is: can it cause problems with color sensitive tasks, in a "single operator" configuration?
In fact, this phenomenon can cause gamma and color shift in the corners of the screen, because they are not seen with the same viewing angle as the center. Potential consequences include "black crush" in the center and/or dark and mid tones brightness increase in the corners.

The "three turles picture" is used by albovin in his reviews to give rise to it.
235.jpg

Maybe caould you check with similar pictures (i.e. pictures with details hidden in deep shadows) if you notice "black crush" in the center (details disappear) and/or shadows details increase in the corners(gamma decreases and details come out)?

lélé

Edit: As far as I am concerned, the EIZO S2242W small pitch is not an inconvenient.
The only downside is that you have to be a bit closer to the screen, which might give a small rise to the viewing angle issue.

No - I don't really see anything like that. I've used the attached photo as a test - is this a suitable subject?

small.jpg

Thanks

Danny B

No - I don't really see anything like that. I've used the attached photo as a test - is this a suitable subject?

small.jpg

Thanks

Danny B
Hard to say if there is any shadow details on this photograph on the very mediocre monitor I am using now.

I'll try to find the three turtles picture of albovin.
IMHO, it is a good benchmark.

If you can find that photo let me know and I'll give you my honest appraisal - I'm always happy to be proved wrong :)

Thanks toastyx. I also found this site site which has some excellent test images and yes, I can see what you mean now webzeb.

However, given my price range I'd still have the Eizo over the HP given the major issues with the panel quality on the HP and also the shift isn't as bad as on earlier PVA panels. O can for example see some of the folds in the women's clothes and can read both quality and control viewing head on (although not as clearly as from the side).

With more money then I'd get the NEC 2490WUXi2 but I'm married and value my manhood so spending £700 on a screen just isn't an option. I could have got the Hazro HZ26Wi but the issues with the backlight control and banding put me off.

I'll post a photo tomorrow of toasty's test picture is you want.

Any more questions let me know.

Cheers

Danny B

Last edited:
My initial 2 days with my 2475W:

Purchased one of these recently after much research, arrived yesterday, it was a FW GIG 068, REV GIG 143, made in Czech Republic, in May 2009. Turned it on, everything seemed perfect, that is until I opened a text file with a white background, I noticed a little smudge in the center of the panel, it looked like something cleanable, it was not. After trying to clean in unsuccessfully I tried to put myself at an angle, and the "smudge" was clearly in the coating, appears to be part of the coating missing, and that generated a shadow on the panel. It was the aprox. 1 millimeter thick and 3 milliliters in height.

Wright about then I started to feel not so great, "a bit angry". So I called HP support, the laddie that answered the phone told me to ship it back to the distributor, since it was within 15 days and I could get another display shipped immediately or a refund. I told her that was out-of-question because I had purchased it from Germany and I live in Portugal and that would be expensive to return, VERY expensive. She then told me that because this was a professional line display, I would be better of calling the professional HP line, she gave me the phone number and I called them up.

Another laddie, this time after explaining the problem with the display she transferred me to a technician, I explained the problem in full, and then the gentlemen told me I would have a new panel the next day, and had I called sooner in the day, I would have had a new panel that same day in my home! (I called them up at about 6pm yesterday).

Today at about 11am UPS was ringing my door, a new panel was delivered with a tag to schedule a pickup for the defective one. I am impressed with the level of support that was given to me (after the professional line anyway). So it took about 17 hours from the first call to a new panel in my home. Very satisfied.

The new display came from The Netherlands HP offices (even more impressed since it had to cross Europe to get here :p in my little country).

The new panel is a FW GIG 072 , REV GIG 153 made in Czech Republic September 2008. From the manufacturing date on the plate it seems like it is a panel that they have revised/re-manufactured recently. The revision plate on the back has a sticker on the Revision saying is is revision 153, it is covering what I suppose was the initial revision, picture:
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/4656/revv.jpg

The panel is perfect, no defects, no dead/stuck/bright pixels and this time no "smudges" too!

Now all I have to do is enjoy my new panel and ship the defective one back (good riddance!).

P.S - One of the stickers on the new panels box says "Pack date 14-JUL-2009".

Last edited:
ISilva: glad to hear that story, moreso because we in Portugal are used to terrible customer service.

Did you notice any green to pink tinge on the new panel?

Cumprimentos!

ISilva: glad to hear that story, moreso because we in Portugal are used to terrible customer service.

Did you notice any green to pink tinge on the new panel?

Cumprimentos!

Olá,

Indeed....

Nop, no green to pink tinge here fortunately! :D (The first had none that I could detect also).

Cumprimentos!
Ivo

I received an email from HP about a routine product alert:

Routine Customer Advisory Mar 10 2009
Advisory: HP LP2475w, HP LP2275w Widescreen LCD Monitor - Intermittent No Video Or Video Flashes On And Off When Using DisplayPort (c01685616)
Products: HP LP2275w 22-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor,HP LP2475w 24-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor

Description: Advisory: HP LP2475w, HP LP2275w Widescreen LCD Monitor - Intermittent No Video Or Video Flashes On And Off When Using DisplayPort (c01685616)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01685616&dimid=1138587018&dicid=alr_mar09&jumpid=em_alerts/us/mar09/all/xbu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category_AdvisoryHPLP2475/alerts

I just got a new GAINWARD 4870 with DP to replace a previous card. Started using the supplied DP cable and it wouldn't work unless I would force restart my PC several times while using DisplayPort + scanning for inputs.

I checked that support article and I have a BizLink DisplayPort cable that is not on their working-list so, hopefully after I get a new DisplayPort cable it will work again!

Maybe it's just a placebo effect, but could it be that Input Lag is gone whilst using DP?

I'm also having some troubles with a display port cable, not sure if its the cable though... I bought it from monoprice.

I have a question for the HP 2475w owners :
How is the black color ,on the web / letters / txt files / windows explorer ?
Is it deep black , or more grey ?
Thanks.

It should come with DVI, DVI > VGA, HDMI, and Display Port signal cables.

Both my original, and my replacement had all four included...

EDIT:

Has anyone got to the bottom of the blotchy 1080p issue yet?

It came with 2 HDMI, dvi, dvi to vga, usb

Back