HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

Hi guys, I've had a 2475w since last November, however tonight, I've noticed I have an actual bug in my display

I can see it walking around n everything! Tried on multiple inputs just to check!!

Just thought i'd throw this out there!

Hi guys, I've had a 2475w since last November, however tonight, I've noticed I have an actual bug in my display

I can see it walking around n everything! Tried on multiple inputs just to check!!

Just thought i'd throw this out there!

Man that sucks. What ever you do, don't squish him. Maybe he can find his way out, or at least die in one of the corners.

If not, LCD monitors are pretty simple to disassemble with a little knowledge and great care. If you have the nads to try it, let em know and I can walk you through it.

Man that sucks. What ever you do, don't squish him. Maybe he can find his way out, or at least die in one of the corners.

If not, LCD monitors are pretty simple to disassemble with a little knowledge and great care. If you have the nads to try it, let em know and I can walk you through it.

Can't see him today, so maybe he's found his way out. As odd as this sounds, it was actually quite nice having him around!! I named him "Ralph the 2nd" :D

Ralph the 1st was a spider that lived under the fridge in a PC repair workshop i used to work in! :p

I've had 3 HP LP2475w's from HP UK and all of them have had different faults, either bugs in firmware (GIG045) or a green/pink tint, most disappointing to say the least! With getting the 3rd faulty one I got a refund and bought a NEC 24WMGX3, which is a better all round screen than the LP2475w...

I've had 3 HP LP2475w's from HP UK and all of them have had different faults, either bugs in firmware (GIG045) or a green/pink tint, most disappointing to say the least! With getting the 3rd faulty one I got a refund and bought a NEC 24WMGX3, which is a better all round screen than the LP2475w...

Yeah sure....if you say so.

Yeah sure....if you say so.

Exaggeration or just plain lying are not things I am inclined to do...

My comments on the HP LP2475w were given for general info from my own personal experience with this monitor; should you wish to reject them, then that is your prerogative!

Last edited:
Exaggeration or just plain lying are not things I am inclined to do...

My comments on the HP LP2475w were given for general info from my own personal experience with this monitor; should you wish to reject them, then that is your prerogative!

But basing a comparison on defective merchandise apparently is something you are inclined to do.

The H-IPS panel in the LP2475w is in noway inferior to the A-MVA panel in the 24WMGX3, and most will agree a better "all around screen".

But you cant blame him for losing hope after 3 defective screens. He has a good reason to bash HP monitors for their shitty QC. This is something HP should have fixed long ago, I doubt changing them time and time again is cheap for them either.

Well, atleast the NEC one is sRGB through and through, and has almost nonexistent input lag as bonus. Good for gamers. And if it wouldnt be for rather average contrast and black depth for *VA panel, I would have seriously considered changing my HP to that monitor too, ( though my piece was perfect from day one. I was lucky one it seems) panel type doesnt matter as long as it isnt TN.

But basing a comparison on defective merchandise apparently is something you are inclined to do.

Maybe you could please elaborate on your statement, "is something you are inclined to do," as I am unaware how you could jump to such a conclusion.

Although 2 of the HP LP2475ws had a couple of bugs in the firmware (firmware GIG045 which if you do a search on Google you will find out what they were, or a search of this thread) the hardware was perfect, the bugs in the firmware having absolutely no effect on the quality of the picture of the 2475 and (in my opinion) the NEC 24WMGX3 was still a better monitor than the HP LP2475.

Once again, whether or not you accept the above is absolutely up to you!

Last edited:
Maybe you could please elaborate on your statement, "is something you are inclined to do," as I am unaware how you could jump to such a conclusion.

Although 2 of the HP LP2475ws had a couple of bugs in the firmware (firmware GIG045 which if you do a search on Google you will find out what they were, or a search of this thread) the hardware was perfect, the bugs in the firmware having absolutely no effect on the quality of the picture of the 2475 and (in my opinion) the NEC 24WMGX3 was still a better monitor than the HP LP2475.

Once again, whether or not you accept the above is absolutely up to you!

You said you were not inclined to exaggeration or lies, I thought the statement would need no elaboratioin.

Regardless, since you offer nothing but a generalized statment, instead of some details as to why, I consider you a troll. So acceptance is irrelevant, you can't expect anyone to accept your opinion of an essentially opposing product without some form of explination.

I'm glad your happy with your NEC, and it is well documented that HP has quality control issues, so you offer nothing but trolling with your statements. If you wish to defer people to the NEC, start your own thread. If you wish to offer people a better choice, posts some useful information.

Becasue I can assure you, most people will find the H-IPS panel in the LP2475w superior to the A-MVA panel in your NEC, in a fair comparison. For all we know, you just surf the web occasionally, in which case a shoddy TN panel could be just as "better all around" as your NEC.

Sure the HP has it's problems but I guess thats what youre willing to bet on when you pay this "low" of a price for a IPS panel. It's way better than my old TN panel.

I just thought I would add my view to this thread in case anyone else is in the same boat..

After deciding to dump my old 22”CRT and finally make the switch to TFT, I looked around at reviews and really liked the sound of the HP2475w. I had decided to order it but missed the next day delivery cut off time. I then stumbled on this thread which after reading through most of the replies, put me off to a certain extent.

Anyway after spending another 2 days researching, I finally to decided to go for it. It arrived yesterday and I am extremely pleased with it. No defects, I think it’s the latest revision, (from memory, as I am at work now, rev143 and 068 FW, man April 09). Granted I have only used it for about 8 hours but so far I can’t fault it. L4D looks stunning in 1920 x 1200 with max details, and even Killing Floor looks good.

I am no monitor expert, and my eyes are not what they used to be (although they’ve never been good), but so far I like what I see. The colours don’t bother me, text looks crisp, and games look great. I guess a lot of it is down to the individual and personal preference, what looks good to one person may not necessarily look good to another.

Regards,

Les

I just thought I would add my view to this thread in case anyone else is in the same boat..

Anyway after spending another 2 days researching, I finally to decided to go for it. It arrived yesterday and I am extremely pleased with it. No defects, I think it’s the latest revision, (from memory, as I am at work now, rev143 and 068 FW, man April 09). Granted I have only used it for about 8 hours but so far I can’t fault it. L4D looks stunning in 1920 x 1200 with max details, and even Killing Floor looks good.

I am no monitor expert, and my eyes are not what they used to be (although they’ve never been good), but so far I like what I see. The colours don’t bother me, text looks crisp, and games look great. I guess a lot of it is down to the individual and personal preference, what looks good to one person may not necessarily look good to another.

Regards,

Les

I have been considering either this monitor or the Dell 2408WFP - but am leaning towards this one - I plan on using it for gaming, and HD movies.

Question- where did you purchase your monitor? (You were able to get the newest revision)

So the latest version is rev143. But how do you assure that you get the latest if you buy online or in the store? I suppose look for rev143 and 068 FW on the box??

I am guessing rev143 means Revision 143 and 068 FW means Firmware version 68?

I like the price, only misgivings are the low quality control of HP that people have talked about and also it's wide gamut. Don't know what the exactly means but saw wide gamut pics of monitors versus standard, and I definitely do like the more accurate/realistic look of standard. Don't like the artificial pumping up of wide gamut, but not many standard gamut 24" IPS monitors with fast response times out there.

BTW for 1920 x 1200 resolution is 24" sort of the sweet spot size for that resolution. Saw 1920 x 1200 on a 17" notebook and thought the text was too small. Certainly sharp and crisp looking though.

After deciding to dump my old 22”CRT and finally make the switch to TFT, I looked around at reviews and really liked the sound of the HP2475w. I had decided to order it but missed the next day delivery cut off time. I then stumbled on this thread which after reading through most of the replies, put me off to a certain extent.

Regards,

Les

I've had my LP2475w since last September and am very satisfied with it. The TFT Central settings are a good place to start re-setting things until one can get a good calibration done. HP replaced not only my HDMI cable, but sent a whole new set. I have had absolutely no other issues with this monitor and am glad I got it. It's quality and price are hard to beat.

hey all,

is there a new version of this monitor out or something?

I have a noticed a price increase at a bunch of vendors with the new price between $650-$750.

Some vendors have both price points, one at around $550 and another at the $700 mark.

Any particular difference between the two. I'd like to order one and would prefer to spend the lesser amount.

This monitor seems to be the only worthy 24" upgrade from my 20WMGX2

I have been considering either this monitor or the Dell 2408WFP - but am leaning towards this one - I plan on using it for gaming, and HD movies.

Question- where did you purchase your monitor? (You were able to get the newest revision)

I got mine from Ebuyer for £418, but I see they have gone to £435 since Tuesday.

So the latest version is rev143. But how do you assure that you get the latest if you buy online or in the store? I suppose look for rev143 and 068 FW on the box??

I am not 100% sure that is the latest, I am only going by what I have read here and other places online.

As to what revision you get, I guess it's a lucky dip. Can't remember if it says on the box, so I am not sure if the reseller can check for you.

Les

Hmm, soo how is the warranty on dead pixel?
I got atleast 4 dead ones, spread across the screen. One in particular that shines strongly down in the right corner. Maybe I'm picky but it bothers me.

I got atleast 4 dead ones, spread across the screen. One in particular that shines strongly down in the right corner. Maybe I'm picky but it bothers me.

they seem to exchange it pretty quickly just give them a call or email.

Make sure you call the small business devision, and let the know you need it for your business. :)

Hi All

I've just bought one of these monitors and its the latest build / firmware and I was suffering dreadfully from the dreaded green / pink tinge.

About to RMA it which is causing me a dilema (ie what to get instead - an Eizo s2242w?, about the only other monitor I'd consider). Also when it's displaying photo's or games and the tinting isn't noticable it looks just phenominal so I've been trying to live with it.

However, it seems odd that different people experience this to different degrees. Sure, some of that will be perceptual but not all so I've done a bit of fiddling and come up with the following to try and fix it.

I've fiddled around with the calibration which does help but I couldn't dial it out. I've left the screen on since I got it last Saturday as well so around 100 hours on the backlight which has also helped but still not to an acceptable degree.

It seemed odd as well that all the professional reviews didn't note this problem. Now HP could have ensured that all the reviewers got plum monitors but this seems a little far fetched. It was more likely that the review monitor gettting shipped around had plenty of burn in time on the backlight but this couldn't account for the whole issue as some people are reporting this issue after 400-500 hours run time.

That got me thinking, what could be different about people's set up that would make such a difference to the output. I also remembered reading somewhere that the uneveness may be down to a low quality DC converter on the backlight. Then it clicked - what can upset sensitive electronics? Magnets. What has magents in them? Speakers. What do a lot of people (but not all - particularly pro reviewers) have either side of their monitor? Yep, speakers.

So, I shifted the speakers. Result, a much more even screen, it improved after a minute or so and has been getting better ever since. Not perfect, but acceptable now and an RMA seems less likely.

A second monitor close by also seems to have an effect which makes sense so for now that's unplugged too.

If anyone is having the tinted issue try moving the speakers and post back the results. If anyone who doesn't have speakers / second monitor close to the monitor but is having big issues with this please post also.

Thanks all.

Danny B

the tinge doesnt really get in the way... I'm a photographer and dont see much difference unless I'm editing a white screen. It doesn't distract or change my editing.

Bought one a few weeks ago and decided to leave here my opinion, as this thread was one of my sources for info about it.

Until now, I only have positive things to say about it:

no dead pixels;
no tinge that I can notice;
very good image quality;
very good color reproduction;
very good scaling performance;
very sharp text.

Fortunately, my model has none of the issues mentioned in this thread so far.

The only thing that's not so good compared to my old CRT (Sony G420 19") is this kind of slight glow that I notice, even when the room is dark. That and the fact that this glow is only noticeable at an angle with my line of sight (corners), makes me think this is not a reflection of ambient light but some kind of refraction from its own light. If I directly look to a corner, it doesn't glow any more. Anyway, I barely notice it.

Other thing, in the back, none of the chassis' screw holes has any screws on it. Not even the base "arm". The holes are there but no screws. The monitor seems very sturdy and solid and completely unaffected by this but I wonder if someone forgot to put the screws in or if it's really meant to be like this. Anyone cares to take a look and tell me if yours has any screws or not?

In case anyone wants to know, the F/W version is GIG 068, REV GIG 143, made in Czech Republic, in April 2009.

Bought one a few weeks ago and decided to leave here my opinion, as this thread was one of my sources for info about it.

Until now, I only have positive things to say about it:

no dead pixels;
no tinge that I can notice;
very good image quality;
very good color reproduction;
very good scaling performance;
very sharp text.

Fortunately, my model has none of the issues mentioned in this thread so far.

The only thing that's not so good compared to my old CRT (Sony G420 19") is this kind of slight glow that I notice, even when the room is dark. That and the fact that this glow is only noticeable at an angle with my line of sight (corners), makes me think this is not a reflection of ambient light but some kind of refraction from its own light. If I directly look to a corner, it doesn't glow any more. Anyway, I barely notice it.

Other thing, in the back, none of the chassis' screw holes has any screws on it. Not even the base "arm". The holes are there but no screws. The monitor seems very sturdy and solid and completely unaffected by this but I wonder if someone forgot to put the screws in or if it's really meant to be like this. Anyone cares to take a look and tell me if yours has any screws or not?

In case anyone wants to know, the F/W version is GIG 068, REV GIG 143, made in Czech Republic, in April 2009.
to see the tinge open a white document and maximize it across the screen.

The HP LP2475w is still under view at Amazon?? Below is the message from Amazon and has been there for over a week. Anybody know why? Perhaps customers noticed old firmware?? If yes, is it possible for customers to update the firmware?

I read Dell and Samsung have played the panel lottery game, has HP succumbed to that too??

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

^^^^^

I should have put the message in quotes, or formatted it differently (if I knew how):

"Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

I bought mine from an ebay seller for 515 before coupon discounts.....this was 3.5 weeks ago. He just shipped it 3 days ago, so be wary if you order from ebay and want it in a timely fashion!

Danny: that's a pretty good observation... How come no one thought of that? That's probably one of the reasons you don't see any tinting mentioned.

I'm from Portugal and I ordered one of these beauties. Today I got an email from the importer that said the product with the reference number KD911AT#ABB had been descontinued. I knew this was not true so I called HP just to make sure the other reference (KD911A4#ABB) was the same exact model. They confirmed it's only an internal reference with no difference whatsoever and that there are 9 in stock.
Hopefully I'll get it sooner than I thought...

Just my two cents, to clear up this reference number thing, as mentioned on the beginning of this thread.

Hi All

If anyone is having the tinted issue try moving the speakers and post back the results. If anyone who doesn't have speakers / second monitor close to the monitor but is having big issues with this please post also.

I went through FIVE LP2475w's via HP warrantee. Four of them had the green/pink tint problem. No speakers on my desk to interfere with, and a secondary monitor not close enough to cause the problem.

I dont think speakers are the problem its just a factory defect with the way the screen is implemented, no way around it just have to bare with it....

to see the tinge open a white document and maximize it across the screen.

Already done it; no tinge. The only thing was a very, very faint yellowish kind of thin shadow on the left side, less than 1/3 of an inch wide. It was inconspicuous, I had to look closely to be sure it was really there and that it wasn't some kind of illusion. I think it is real, but I have to make an effort to notice it, in a completely white screen. Ergo, completely a non-issue, for me.

Maybe caused by the pression of the screen "frame" on the left side? I dont know but, as I said, it's almost unperceptible.

:D Glad to see the ol' thread is still going strong! I've been out of the loop for awhile, so those joining the thread only recently may not be aware of my tribulations.

Long story short, my LP2475w is/was extremely hard on my eyes. White font on black made me dizzy, my eyes couldn't focus. I tried literally everything - from three replacements straight from HP to a $200 i1 d2 calibration kit and every user submitted color profile in between. Nothing worked. However, I otherwise loved the monitor and decided to stick with it, hoping the issue would pass in time.

It did not.

I recently visited my optometrist, if only to deduce whether three months of wear and tear have caused any permanent damage. Thankfully not. In fact, my eyesight has actually improved overall compared to my last visit! I'm just a hair shy of 20/20 (98%). However, my eye doc did discover something else: astigmatism.

Longer story short, my eyes are shaped like jelly beans, not round like ball bearings. This causes issues. With my old 22" and 17" monitors, the text was fuzzy due to the lower quality of the build. Because of this, I had no problems. Everything was fuzzy! No worries. With the LP2475w, the text is razor sharp ... and as a result it really aggravates my astigmatism. With the text being so clear, the elongated shape of my eye becomes an issue as certain parts of the text appear fuzzy while others remain vivid. This variance really wreaks havoc on my poor eyeballs.

One $200 pair of glasses later and I'm visiting [H] for the first time in nearly two months (light text on black background and all).

So yeah. If you're having trouble with your brand new IPS monitor, if you find the text hard to focus on, do yourself a favor and visit your optometrist. If anything, you get a clean bill of health and you can start troubleshooting with your perfectly round eyes. OR, should your eye doc find something untoward, you save yourself months of potential hassle, expense and discomfort.

Still lovin' the display! It's a refurb, but newest firmware, newest revision. No dead or stuck pixels. I'm closing in on 1700 backlight hours and my pink/green tinting has definitely improved, to the point of my having to work hard to find it. The 068 firmware is all round great. No bezel light prob, lightning fast response time. Overall, I'm glad I decided to tough it out.

:cool: I can finally close the book on this one. 'Bout damn time!

I'm satisfied thus far with DVI quality while hooked up my to my computer. Although, I just hooked up my xbox 360 via component and am very underwhelmed. I've set the xbox to run at 1080p. Set my display to use 1:1 so my image isn't stretched, and set sharpness just one level lower than it was by default. What I'm noticing is extreme jaggedness on edges and text, and a lot of blurry textures. These are things that I never noticed before on my 42" rear projection LCD tv, which is 720p and connected via component as well.

My initial thoughts are that maybe it's the fact that I'm using component for 1080p and maybe that's not ideal for image quality at 1080p. I would try HDMI if I could, but I don't have the elite system. I thought about getting the VGA xbox cable just to try it out, but really don't want to waste the time/money.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

The component input on most PC monitors usually is not very good. My NEC 20WMGX2 has a very mediocre component quality, but the VGA is great. Almost on par with DVI. The Wii looks great on it using the Vdigi cable.

I'd wager that the VGA on the LP2475W should be decent enough. You can get an Xbox 360 VGA cable for under $7 from monoprice, shipping is like 3 bucks.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10830&cs_id=1083005&p_id=4010&seq=1&format=2

Back