HP L2335 23" 16ms... sweet

Cookiepuss,
that Doom3 pic is the last word. Absolutely awesome. Big Thanks; let's see more !.
You're getting that 1920x1200 resolution by using your Analog cable with the Blue 15-pin connectors, right?
Surely that's not a 1920x1200 "DVI" pic, is it?
If so, it would make the 9800-pro a candidate on my short list.:D

clark_carty said:
It may be the fact that Chaintech as added an external driver chip instead of using the internal one in the 6800.
And they may have actually done testing and verifyed the signal integrity, etc, while the other vendors have merely copied Nvidia's PCB and slapped parts down.
I ordered my L2335 today.
Unfortunately it will be driven by the analog connection on my Geforce3 for a while.
I'm getting a 925 based MB with PCI Express and nobody has released the PCX6800 cards yet. I was told by one vendor the middle of August.
Clark

Thanks for the info and congrats on your new L2335; you'll love it.
I wonder if PCI-Express will show up in AMD boards in time for "mid-August release" of Nvidia 6800 video boards?
If so, I'd go for a PCI-E motherboard and PCI-E video card immediately.
Has anyone heard if ATI will have PCI-E cards in Aug?

Sailor_Moon said:
As we can see from the picture, also Doom3 doesn´t scale right on 16:10 resolutions (Farcry is another example, games that really give you more visible surface are very rare). Nevertheless it looks very fine in 1920x1200.Unfortunately I will need a Quadro FX card for the 30" Apple Screen and I don´t want do go higher than a Quadro FX 3000 which at most performs like a FX 5900 Ultra. Doom3 at 1920x1200 or even the native resolution will be out range for this card. Hope the Interpolation of the panel will be good.
Ohh but you can fix that in a jiffy! g_fov 120 should do the trick, it fixes the Frame of View so that it looks right on widescreen format.

Rim said:
Cookiepuss,
that Doom3 pic is the last word. Absolutely awesome. Big Thanks; let's see more !.
You're getting that 1920x1200 resolution by using your Analog cable with the Blue 15-pin connectors, right?
Surely that's not a 1920x1200 "DVI" pic, is it?
If so, it would make the 9800-pro a candidate on my short list.:D
Nope :) Dvi2Dvi my good man. The radeon cards dont have a problem with 1920x1200 dvi resolutions like the gt apparently does. Btw, i DONT play the game at this res, this was just for screenshots :) I play it at 1280x800 and then use the fill to aspect ratio option on the l2335 monitor to make it full screen.

Well if anyone wants to know how to run WideScreen this is how you will want to do it for Doom3/Quake3 or any Quake3 engine based game.

1. Open up the config file for the appropriate game. For Doom 3 its DoomConfig.cfg and for Quake 3 its q3config.cfg. Use a text editor like wordpad to open it.
  2. Edit line seta r_mode to show value of -1. seta r_mode "-1"
  3. Edit line seta r_customWidth to show value of width. I use seta r_customWidth "1280"
  4. Edit line seta r_customHeight. I use seta r_customHeight "800"
  5. Last thing, when you load up the game, hit ` and Ctrl and Alt at the same time to bring up the console menu, then type g_fov 120 (but you can use any value to make it look right to you). I would suggest 100-130, just try some and see how it looks. The higher the value, the more of the area you will see. You will have to type this everytime the game is loaded because it looks like ID doesnt allow this command to be saved in the config anymore. Its sort of gives one person an advantage during multiplayer as he can see more than a person with non widescreen.

Allrighty 1920x1200 screenshots with fov of 120.

Just go to this thread i started, because I dont want to own dialup users that might be reading this thread.

Ohh but you can fix that in a jiffy! g_fov 120 should do the trick, it fixes the Frame of View so that it looks right on widescreen format.

As I have 16:10 screens for a long time (FW-900, 240T) I tried "tricks" like this already with Q3A based games and thought that there is still a little distortion. But of course it gets better and I must admit that I never made a real comparison between 1920x1200 before and after. So thanks for the info, I will try it again when Doom3 arrives here in Germany.

There isn´t such a possibility of editing the field of view in Battlefield? Because custom resolutions are also possible with this game.

Sailor_Moon said:
As I have 16:10 screens for a long time (FW-900, 240T) I tried "tricks" like this already with Q3A based games and thought that there is still a little distortion. But of course it gets better and I must admit that I never made a real comparison between 1920x1200 before and after. So thanks for the info, I will try it again when Doom3 arrives here in Germany.

There isn´t such a possibility of editing the field of view in Battlefield? Because custom resolutions are also possible with this game.

Yes i believe its possible with bf, you wanna open up video.con and videoCustom.con with wordpad and check the settings in there.
Check this thread over at the widescreenforum, hopefully it helps .

Mine shipped today, arrives on Thursday.

I'm playing doom3 on a 6800gt+samsung 191T at 1280x1024, be interesting to see what I can do with the hp2335.

Praying to the pixel gods for no stuck/dead pixels. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Happy Hopping said:
You have to be a member to view that wide gaming forum thread.
sorry didnt realize that. heres a rip.

1. create a new profile.
2. setup profile as to how you like your controls, sound, etc.
3. edit the video.con and videocustom.con in your new profile. i had to enter the refresh rate in mine to make it work. example: game.setGameDisplayMode 1360 768 32 62
4. make all edited files "read only" otherwise BF will over-right your edited settings.
5. play battlefield with your new profile, DO NOT go to settings and try to change video settings after you have edited your video.con, your Custom Resolution WILL NEVER SHOW UP AS AN OPTION but battlefield will use the res if you just start a game.

i've done this on a couple systems, you may be able to skip a few steps as unnecassary (are changing default and custom profiles nec? i dont know) this is just what i did and it works.

@CookiePuss: Great! Thanks for the link to this forum, I never knew that there is such a interest in widescreen gaming. Adjusted the fov in Farcry, not bad :)

CookiePuss said:
Allrighty 1920x1200 screenshots with fov of 120.
Just go to this thread i started, because I dont want to own dialup users that might be reading this thread.

CookiePuss,
you're NOT going to post big pics here in Canislupy's "L2335" thread ??

I'm a dial-up modem user.
When big pics start loading here I read other posts here, till pics are done loading,
Then I look at the pics; they're great!!----well worth the wait. .

So please, post them here so we can keep this thread going, building it into "source" for all kinds of L2335 info.
Heck, guys are already coming from everywhere to read it..
Over at Arstechnica I've seen posts in the huge LCD thread (1/2million "hits") in Audio-Visual forum----that mention our thread as "great place for L2335 news & info".
:D Thanks buddy :D.

I'm trying to reformat on this monitor for the first time. The setup screen (XP) doesn't like the 1920x1200 res. I'm getting some output error message each time I boot from cd.

I rebooted and changed to 640x480 res, but I still get the same problem.

suggestions?

Rim said:
CookiePuss,
you're NOT going to post big pics here in Canislupy's "L2335" thread ??

I'm a dial-up modem user.
When big pics start loading here I read other posts here, till pics are done loading,
Then I look at the pics; they're great!!----well worth the wait. .

So please, post them here so we can keep this thread going, building it into "source" for all kinds of L2335 info.
Heck, guys are already coming from everywhere to read it..
Over at Arstechnica I've seen posts in the huge LCD thread (1/2million "hits") in Audio-Visual forum----that mention our thread as "great place for L2335 news & info".
:D Thanks buddy :D.

Allright :) Here comes some doomage..lol

First of all, if anyone wants to know how to run "sortof" WideScreen this is how you will want to do it for Doom3/Quake3 or any Quake3 engine based game.

1. Open up the config file for the appropriate game. For Doom 3 its DoomConfig.cfg and for Quake 3 its q3config.cfg. Use a text editor like wordpad to open it.
  2. Edit line seta r_mode to show value of -1. seta r_mode "-1"
  3. Edit line seta r_customWidth to show value of width. I use seta r_customWidth "1280"
  4. Edit line seta r_customHeight. I use seta r_customHeight "800"
  5. Last thing, when you load up the game, hit ` and Ctrl and Alt at the same time to bring up the console menu, then type g_fov 120 (but you can use any value to make it look right to you). I would suggest 100-130, just try some and see how it looks. The higher the value, the more of the area you will see. You will have to type this everytime the game is loaded because it looks like ID doesnt allow this command to be saved in the config anymore. Its sort of gives one person an advantage during multiplayer as he can see more than a person with non widescreen.

Here are some pics for the people with widescreen monitors.
This first shot is in normal 90 FOV the rest are in 120.
wsdoom.jpg

wsdoom2.jpg

wsdoom3.jpg

wsdoom4.jpg

wsdoom5.jpg

wsdoom6.jpg

wsdoom7.jpg

wsdoom.8jpg

wsdoom9.jpg

wsdoom10.jpg

wsdoom11.jpg

BTW, the price on the HP site is back up to $1699 again, with the business price through the real estate page 10% off that. Bummer.

oc

I don't know why you quoted my question and posted screenies, but:

I still can't reformat with this screen. I get the following message when all of the XP drivers load during windows setup, just before you get to the reformat option:

INPUT SIGNAL OUT OF RANGE
optimum mode 1920 x 1200

No matter what i've tried I get the same input error at the same spot each time.

any suggestions? My doomIII box is on the UPS for delivery!!!!

I'd guess the default driver they load during install is confused by the native rez of the panel.

if you have onboard video, you might switch to that during the install, or you're gonna have to find a regular display to attach.

Mysticcal said:
Ugh, its so sexy, its either this LCD or 2001FP, I CANT Choose!
It's a no brainer get the hp l2335... Too bad I already have 2 dell 2001fp... otherwise I would a bought the hpl2335...

ShePearl said:
canislupy,

Thanks for your replay about the panel manufacturer. :)

Your setup looks very sweet, indeed.

If you don't mind me asking, what made your go for the HP rather than Sony SDMP232W or Samsung SM243T ?? Was response time your main deciding factor ? I ask because from reading around about current state of LCDs, it seems that response time, and colour are two seperate/different animals. And *if I'm not mistaken*, with current LCD technology, having both good colour reproduction as well as fast response time seems impossible. Of course, I am just speculating based on what I've read.

Cheers.

I have the Sony SDMP232W if you have any questions about it. I'm playing all my games at it's native 1920x1200 resolution and it's flawless - no ghosting and not a single bad pixel. Most games support 1920x1200 (Doom 3, Far Cry, Painkiller, UT2004). For the games that don't (Tron 2.0) I play it in 1600x1200 and get black bars on the left and right, but it's not that bad.

mr. fedex just dropped mine off. I hooked it up real quick to look for bad pixels, NONE. yay.

Oh, evga 6800gt, dvi digital cable, 1920x1200 no issues.

Argghh,

Not have a 6800GT based PCI Express card is driving me nuts!

I'm ready to pull the trigger on an Asus P5AD2 with a P4 3.2.

According to Anandtech these babies overclock to 4GHz and all DDR2 533 memory works fine at 667MHz.

Let's see if they actually start trickling out by the end of the month.

Clark

UFarch said:
I don't know why you quoted my question and posted screenies, but:

I still can't reformat with this screen. I get the following message when all of the XP drivers load during windows setup, just before you get to the reformat option:

optimum mode 1920 x 1200

No matter what i've tried I get the same input error at the same spot each time.

any suggestions? My doomIII box is on the UPS for delivery!!!!

Because i should have went to bed alot earlier than that post..lol

what cable are u using for your monitor?

^^^^^My idea of a nice car starts around $40,000. What monitors are you looking at in that range? :p

Hey, anyone noticed that the viewing angle of L2335 is actually 170 degree but F2304 has 176? Any opinions on this?

UFarch said:
I can't reformat with this screen. I get the following message when all of the XP drivers load during windows setup, just before you get to the reformat option:
optimum mode 1920 x 1200
No matter what i've tried I get the same input error at the same spot each time. any suggestions? My doomIII box is on the UPS for delivery!!!!

UFarch, sorry you have a problem.
A certain mechanical button (on bottom-bezel of your 23" HP L2335 LCD monitor) must be pressed "just so".
If it isn't-----then your LCD screen will give "going to sleep" message and go black----and stay black forever.
Here's the fix:

Turn on PC and L2335; don't worry if screen goes black or not.
Next, press and release the INPUT button (2nd from left in that row of 7 mechanical buttons).
Each time you hit INPUT (press firmly, then release) you'll see a new message.

If you're using your "Analog" cable (has BLUE 15-pin connector on each end) then keep hitting that INPUT button till "D-Sub Analog" message comes on.
Stop right there. You're all done.
You'll now get screen display even if your HP L2335 'drivers' have not been installed.
Now turn off PC, then restart it..
Now go ahead and format or install XP or whatever). Of course, your screen display and pics will not be as nice as DVI pics.

If you are using your DVI/DVI cable (cable has big WHITE 24-pin connectors each end) then when you did the above procedure, you would have kept hitting INPUT button till "Digital DVI" mssge appeared and you would have stopped right there, then shut down PC, then restarted, and you'd be off and running.

If in future you ever "mysteriously" lose your screen----i.e. it goes dead black for no apparent reason-----just cycle thru the INPUT button till you see the proper message appear---and stop there, and screen will re-appear.
(That is, if the trouble was caused by the INPUT button getting screwed up in its 'setting').
Good luck with your awesome new L2335 and please post some pics when ready. :D

ImLazZzy said:
Hey, anyone noticed that the viewing angle of L2335 is actually 170 degree but F2304 has 176? Any opinions on this?
heh, how bout that, didnt even know it.
but i did mention the fact my f2304 had a better viewing angle than my l2335 when i posted it about it earlier.

ImLazZzy said:

Lazy, go back to Page 23, scroll way down near bottom and see the pics Canislupy posted, of L2335 screen at VERY sharp angles.
Look at the incredible sharpness, clarity, detail, of those pics even tho the monitor is tilted at crazy angles.
Those beautiful pics lay to rest, any worries about "how good is the viewing-angle" of the awesome 23" HP-L2335.

well i had my monitor for a grand total of 9 days before our condo was burglarized and it along with about 4,500 dollars worth of other stuff was stolen. needless to say i am upset. i had hdtv for 6 out of the 9 days....was great being able to use the PIP functionality while being productive doing work...

vandema said:
well i had my monitor for a grand total of 9 days before our condo was burglarized and it along with about 4,500 dollars worth of other stuff was stolen. needless to say i am upset. i had hdtv for 6 out of the 9 days....was great being able to use the PIP functionality while being productive doing work...
OMG, my condolences man :(

Hi,

I got a HP L2335 yesterday and I love it. It run's with a GeForce Ti-4600 from Gainward on DVI or VGA, but when running on DVI I get some with flickers on left side when there are black areas (e.g. when running a game @ 1600x1200). They don't appear when running via VGA, so I guess the problems are caused by DVI.

How can I check if I'm using the RBT?
And do you know if the HP L2335 has a Single Link oder Dual Link DVI Interface?

Regards from Germany

crap,I have another stupid problem with this lcd.

When I put in the 1280x800 res in DOOMIII the bottom 1/4 of the screen shows my desktop. I can't seem to "stretch" the game to fill the bottom 1/4 of the screen.

i put this into an autoexec:

seta r_customWidth "1280"
seta r_customHeight "800"

seta r_mode "-1"

I love the lcd, just having a couple issues today :)

nobby688 said:
I have the Sony SDMP232W if you have any questions about it. I'm playing all my games at it's native 1920x1200 resolution and it's flawless - no ghosting and not a single bad pixel. Most games support 1920x1200 (Doom 3, Far Cry, Painkiller, UT2004). For the games that don't (Tron 2.0) .

How can there be no ghosting? Their refresh rate is 45 ms. I find it very hard to believe.

Happy Hopping said:
How can there be no ghosting? Their refresh rate is 45 ms. I find it very hard to believe.

I'd have to agree with HappyHopping there....that monitor, while nice and Sony and all that, is pretty appauling for much apart from static text :-P I was looking at that, a large Viewsonic and a massive IBM at a dealers not long ago...all very pretty but come on guys, 25 or less.....40 is like tar!!!

And do you know if the HP L2335 has a Single Link oder Dual Link DVI Interface?

SingleLink, if it had DualLink DVI, you would need a special video card which also has DualLink DVI (QuadroFX or the new ATI FireGL X3-256).

Back