HP buys Voodoo

Well, I can't say that I didn't see this coming, but I'm surprised to hear that it was HP.

Should be interesting...

Never had a problem with any of my HP computers, and HP computers are very well priced for the most part. I hear Voodoo makes good computers at a reasonable price to. I can only see this in good ways.

I respect Voodoo, and HP is OK. The thing I don't get is why? HP can do everything VD can if they wanted (Rahul mentions the $3.5 Billion dollar lab), so I see this as just a way to paint HP boxes and plant a VD logo on them and pawn them off as cool. Am I missing something here other than a marketing thing? VD is tiny even in the boutique community.

so there's a benefit for hp, sure. but why would voodoo do it? i hate to think it's all about the benjamins - but there's no other reason.

so alienware's out and now voodoo too. looks like it's just velocity and falcon left of the big four gaming pc makers.

of course it about the money. having integrity and wanting to be outside the norm is one thing, but, when a corp. such as hp puts the money on the table, thats alot of reasons to sell

VD... lol.

Anyway HP's problem usually isn't their hardware, it's the software they bundled on their systems. I don't know much about Voodoo, but I assume that once HP get's their paws on them then the bloatware will get thrown on them too.

Holy shit! I just flipped on the TV and caught the HP chairwoman testifiying before congress about illegal pretexting and realized that H-doo made this announcement today as a diversion...kinda like when Clinton dispatched our fighters and blew up the aspirin factory in Sudan the same day he was testifying (cough*lying*cough) about not having sex with Monica Lewinsky. It's a play right out of the same playbook to divert attention away from the negative press!

I already thought it was a hyped up deal to bring us $999 VD boxes made in China, but this is pretty pathetic timing. Shame...or kudos depending on where you stand.

In an article at Anandtech, the mentioned that Rahul Sood and his brother are taking high level positions in product developement at HP. I think, if anything, they will increase the quality of the products created at HP, while having access to the developement budget. HP wins with those two doing product degvelopement, and Vodoo wins by having a lager budget, and lower prices for components through HP's supply chain.

I think the whole thing is that large manufactures are realizing that there is a large enthusiast market out there that will spend insane amounts of money to have the latest and greatest, top performing machines out there. I know If I had money to burn all of the time, (a lot of people do) I'd have the biggest e-penis out there!

I'm in Shock and awe, surely we'll discuss it many times tomorrow at work.

Riddlinkidstoner said:
If I had the money to burn, I still wouldn't get a computer from voodoo, I'd get it from Falcon. :D
Why? Overdrive PC and Maingear offer pretty much the same products for better prices.

But Falcon does airbrushing with any type of paint you want, any style ,any way, shape, or form :D

EDIT:: I just configured an overdrive pc gaming system with the same specs as mine (or close as I could get) and it was priced @ $2400 :eek: crazy, i paid half as much

I also noticed it comes with an overclocked cpu and gpu...hmm but that takes all the fun outta it ;) good for people that don't know how but can still use it for bragging rights :rolleyes:

In an article at Anandtech, the mentioned that Rahul Sood and his brother are taking high level positions in product developement at HP. I think, if anything, they will increase the quality of the products created at HP, while having access to the developement budget. HP wins with those two doing product degvelopement,

HP is a huge multinational - they can get top drawer talent from anywhere in the world. why the hell would they buy a tiny boutique to get it? I know rahul knows his sh*t (less confident in Ravi's abilities, but that's another story), but there are a lot of people out there who know a helluva lot more.

This is a marketing move pure and simple. Voodoo took their pay day and I think now we'll see that all their previous hype was so much bs. Voodoo branded PCs from china will be upon us before long and the entire brand will unravel - a shame because it was a cool brand. Notice that nobody in either company is ruling that out? I give hdoo 12 months - 18 at the outside before it fades out.

From what I know, Alienware didn't go downhill when Dell bought them...I doubt Voodoo will.

Order said:
From what I know, Alienware didn't go downhill when Dell bought them...I doubt Voodoo will.

Dell sin't buyiung Voodoo. HP is.

HP also bought Compaq, look where Compaq is now. (Not that Compaq qas that great of a ocmpany anyway.

a bit too soon to say, don't you think?

but that's beside the point, since hdoo is not hp buying voodoo as a separate wholly owned subsidiary. voodoo is becoming part of hp. Rahul and Ravi are going to start working for HP - so it's just the teensiest bit different, you see. Alex and Nelson at Alienware don't have Dell titles - Nelson just reports to the Dell CFO.

but at any rate there are so many differences between hdoo and delienware that they are not comparable.

HappyJack said:
kinda like when Clinton dispatched our fighters and blew up the aspirin factory in Sudan the same day he was testifying (cough*lying*cough) about not having sex with Monica Lewinsky. It's a play right out of the same playbook to divert attention away from the negative press! .

Back on topic, even though HP is going through General Hospital'esk drama's right now, this purchase could really improve their branding in the market place. As a Net Admin HP\Compaq Servers are the bees knees and it would be nice to see their desktops reach that level.

Spectre said:
Just something that happened when HP-Compaq aquired some very good technology previously.

All the Alpha processor. I was thinking along the lines of alpha male for some reason.

Hmmm. My company has in the last year transitioned from an IBM supplier to an HP partner. Wonder if they'll start listening to me about performance machines now. :D

I think this could be good for the industry. Rahul is an enthusiast, and Voodoo makes good machines. Giving voodoo the ability to tap HPs endless resources and giving Voodoo a voice in HPs product development could mean good things for both brands. We will see.

I wonder if I have a better or worse chance of getting a job at Voodoo now...

I've applied before, but never heard back.

Still, my first reaction to hearing this was "say it ain't so, Joe!"

jebo_4jc said:
Giving voodoo the ability to tap HPs endless resources and giving Voodoo a voice in HPs product development could mean good things for both brands. We will see.

HP is also a company that has no interest in participating in [H] reviews. Which to me says they've got little interest in improving their products or processes.

It has little impact for me. I've always thought of HP as a printer company.

grizzed said:
HP is also a company that has no interest in participating in [H] reviews. Which to me says they've got little interest in improving their products or processes.

It has little impact for me. I've always thought of HP as a printer company.

they're pretty damn good at servers too

grizzed said:
Interesting, I hadn't heard that. I wonder if now their gaming division would be willing to submit a PC for review?

Jason - any plans to review a voodoo pc in the near future?

wonder if even they can withstand a h review.

hate to think how hp would fare.

ryan_975 said:
they're pretty damn good at servers too

HP is a huge multinational company with expertise in a lot of areas. For instance, their GCs and ChemStation software are the standard instrumentation used in organic analytical chemistry labs.

wow.. I always liked the articles in CPU mag from that Voodoo guy... second to Kyle's that is. ;) I guess he's standing to make a tidy sum over this sale. wewt for him. :)

lovemyPC said:
Jason - any plans to review a voodoo pc in the near future?

wonder if even they can withstand a h review.

hate to think how hp would fare.

Yes :). The timing of this buyout couldn't be better.

Remember that we've done two HP machines - an a1330n and a Compaq. Both are budget machines, but you get a good idea of their business model. We're looking at doing more of their stuff very soon.

Lazy_Moron said:
Never had a problem with any of my HP computers, and HP computers are very well priced for the most part. I hear Voodoo makes good computers at a reasonable price to. I can only see this in good ways.
Go find a P3 Pavilion and tell me what you think

Glow said:
Go find a P3 Pavilion and tell me what you think

The only problem I've ever run into on HP desktops and notebooks wasn't hardware related. It was the bundled software. They don't give you an OS reinstall CD, but an image restoration set or partition. So it makes it difficult to get a clean and functioning system. But hardware wise never had a problem.

Back