HP Blackbird 002

MrBean_Oz

Limp Gawd
For a while now I've been eyeing the recently released HP Blackbird 002. No, not the system, just the case.

But, as you all know, they're notoriously difficult to come by, at least as an empty case - and, in the Land Down Under, you cannot even buy a complete Blackbird system.

With the help of a fellow modder, Alex at Computer Choppers, who recently did the Dream Machine mod on one of these, I managed to secure a Blackbird case.

All the cabling, SATA backplane, internal plastics were there, but it is short the unique outer sidepanels, and a decent front panel assembly for the buttons.

I have very good hardware particularly suited to this mod - for now I am putting on hold Dark Apple, and using the Asus Z7s motherboard, 2x Xeon 5430 cpus, 8gigs of ram, and the SAS harddrive cage.

Please see next post for some pics.

Well, basicically put the base system together to test all the hardware, and make sure everything works as it should. Loaded Win Vista Ultimate 64bit as the preferred OS.

Here's a shot of the case, note the missing outer side-covers:

blackbird_side_.jpg

And here's a shot of the front-panel electronics, minus the rather nice HP frontpanel assembly:

fp_buttons.jpg

The original assembly was modified, but it did not come out well, and will not fit this mod particularly well - I need a new bit here, and would prefer the original plastic - otherwise I need to have one CNC'ed, same as the sidepanels.

fp_front.jpg

and the backside:

fp_rear.jpg

Here's a couple of internal shots, please don't mind the cabling/wiring for now, it will all be fixed proper when I'm done - in the following shots, the internal windage trays are not in place, I will mount them once the watercooling is complete.

Showing the Asus Z7S mobo, with 8-gigs FB-Dimms, and Xeon 5430's mounted - just 2 test coolers on for now - the system will be watercooled, replacing air for the 2x Fuzion v2's out of the Apple mod.

asus_z7s_mobo.jpg

and another one:

mothebroard.jpg

In the next shot you can see the Dell Perc 5i mounted, with it's dual 4-channel SAS cables connected:

dell_perc5i.jpg

The only real gripe I had with a very well designed case was a few minor things:

1) The harddrive slide in trays are hiddeous, cheap plastic things - they could have done a better job here.
2) Mounting any decent aftermarket radiator is going to be a pain (but I have it covered)
3) the clips keeping PCI cards in place is also crap quality, and prone to cracking/breaking - Voodoo/HP need to focus on the aspect.

Other than that, a very well-designed and engineered case.

Well, fixing the problem in point 1, I decided to remove the stock SATA backplane that came with the Blackbird:

sata_bp.jpg

With that done, I fitted the SAS (8x) 2.5" harddrive cage from a HP ML370 T05 server, similar to the one I am using in the Apple CaseMod. the advantage is, well, SAS drives, fast, enterprise reliability, battery-backed wb-cache, etc....plus, I can fit 8, where the original HP design allowed for 5 drives in the Blackbird.

And, I think it looks much neater than the original design - this is something Voodoo/HP should have done too - the cost of designing a new backplane from scratch vs using the SAS one would not have made a difference to the final pricing.

Well, here's some pics, please tell me what you think:

Angled shot:

drive_cage2.jpg

another one....

drive_cage1.jpg

and a close-up of the caddy and mounting - the aluminium plate will get the same color as the interior plastics, some or other glossy black....

drive_cage_close.jpg

What's on the agenda next:

1) Mounting the Feser 240mm X-changer Radiator - busy with a very finicky custom mount for this unit, originally the watercooled Blackbirds makes use of an Asetek unit, custom manufactured for HP by them, and not available for sale to the general public.

I don't want the crappy stock cooling anyway.

Have the rad, Tygon 3/8" tubing, pumps, waterblocks, etc....

2) finalize cabling.

3) Buy 2x HD 4750 X2's for this rig.

I am currently using my old, trustworthy 8800Ultra.

Looking for a sponsor for the gfx cards :)

Comments welcome.

For those that may want to know, this is a pic of the HP SAS cage I used....in case original Blackbird owners want to do something similar...cough-cough Voodoo/HP....

3_harddrives.jpg

Here's the motherboard I used:

Z7S.jpg

and then, the memory:

new_8gig_close.jpg

and populating the board - 8-gigs of FB-Dimm goodness.....

new_8gig_installed.jpg

all i can say is

unf unf

i <3 SAS

i wish i could get me some of that lol

we have some hp servers at work with those 2.5" SAS drives, they are pretty quick... although their failure rate was kind of high when we first got them the replacements seem to be running strong tho

@ Flecom: Those failures might have been due to over-heating? There's a decent pull-through configuration Fan next to those drives, courtesy the original Blackbird design.

Doing a decent job so far. I am using a fair few of these drives in Servers in Industrial environment, and they seem to be going well though.....will keep an eye open, thanx for the heads-up....

I will get another one, and run the main OS and Data (2 partitions) in Raid 0+1, currently Raid 5.

Then, eventually I will get another 4x 300Gig SAS drives for Games, data etc - I don't need Exa-bytes, and a total of 1.5 to 2 Terabytes would do me well for a few years to come.

Will anyway source 1 more 146gig drive for now :)

i dont remember the model # of the servers we have those SAS drives in, i think they are ML370's? and we have some 1U servers that have 5 of those drives in each also... those we got recently and i havent had any issues... i defiantely think that the failures we were having might have been heat related but our server room is pretty cool... so dunno...

definately a sexy setup tho

I concur with FLECOM: Very sexy.

I especially like the SAS backplane in the case. :)

very nice job mate, where are you in Aus? i'm in melbourne :D

the SAS backplane does look good in that case and i do like the idea of using those really quick drives in it. any reason you didn't go skulltrail? and/or QX9775's? probs cost lol

Thanx for the feedback, guys :)

I didn't go for Skulltrial, as the Z7S was more readily available, and better priced. Same with the QX9775s, I will anyway o/clock the 2.66gig Xeons to 3.2gig (400fsb, ram will be happy too)

I'm in Doncaster East btw....

ok, thought so

i'm in Malvern East man, i would love to see that beast in real life...

If voodoo/hp did that sas hot swap system in the blackbird... I would have had one sitting on my desk now...

that looks awesome

Subscribed!!!

Loved you G5 mod but was sad that it has to be put on hold...Now this...can't wait to see what you come up with!

P.S. where did you get the 90 degrees cables and how much were they? I was contemplating on whether to get one for an SAS-SATA and SAS-SAS but I can't seem to find any pricing on them without having to call in...

I want this case and i will pay top dollor, if you have one for sale, please PM me

P.S. where did you get the 90 degrees cables and how much were they? I was contemplating on whether to get one for an SAS-SATA and SAS-SAS but I can't seem to find any pricing on them without having to call in...

I got the cables with the HP harddrive cage - it came as a package deal, and the cage and cables were around AUD $165 or something if memory serves - I can check tomorrow. These are multi-lane SATA cables, so there's basically 4 cables in one of those 90deg cables plugging into the SAS controller - so, the 2x cables will be able to handle the 8 drives in the cage.

Soz if you knew that, this is just for information for the others out there that don't have the privilege to work on servers et al.

@ Gar818: I have only this one box, but putting it up for sale won't be feasible.....will cost to much ultimately, even if only to recover the hardware costs :(

nice build! so far so good. just a question, what are your temps with the stock hsfs from intel?

nice build! so far so good. just a question, what are your temps with the stock hsfs from intel?

I wanted to ask the same question... because I am too anal about my computers to have mis-matching HSFs... Haha!

However, I did notice you've switched them for some reason too, hehe. In your more recent pictures the Black is top and Blue is bottom... I saw in the older pictures they were the other way around. Not that it matters one bit though.

Keep up the good work... looks neato! What do you have in mind for the front panel?

Man, i do love the quality of this case, i saw one at FRY's and its by far the best quaity case i have ever seen. AGAIN IF ANYONE HAS ONE PLEASE PMME WITH YOUR PRICE!!!

Hello,
Small update.

Fitting an aftermarket radiator to a(n) (aircooled) Blackbird case is not the easiest thing, due to the unique shape of the case, and angles involved.....

Here's the original factory cutout with the top removed....

BBtopoff1.jpg

and here.....

BBtopoff2.jpg

The original case came with only 2x mounting rivnuts, I had to add another 2 to properly secure the radiator...

mountingholes1.jpg

Here are the 2 I added at the back of the case, just below the LED cable....this pic just fyi really, if anyone wants to do something similar on their BB ;)

mountingholes2.jpg

Herewith a few pictures showing the rad, and compound brackets, topview....

Radtopfit1.jpg

Radtopfit2.jpg

Radtopfit3.jpg

and here a few showing it (temporarily) mounted to the case.....

Radmount.jpg

radmountcloseup.jpg

Radbracket1.jpg

Note, I still have to mod the brackets where the fans will bolt to, so that the conform to the shape of the fans, so a little shaping needed, but that will come soon.

Very close to fitting my Super Micro X7DWA-N board, with 2x Xeons, and 4870X2, all watercooled.

Feedback appreciated :D

Heya, thanx for your feedback.

Ok, a small update - I'm using the very nice, and fast HD4870X2 ATi card in this machine, to properly drive my Apple Cinema 30" Display at 2560x1600, when gaming - and it does an admirable job :)

One of the issues (I have) with this card is the relatively high noise levels when gaming, and fairly high temps - yes, I know it's designed to run at those elevated temps, but I prefer cooler, and a quieter card.

Ages ago I purchased 2x Swiftech MWC60's, that was going to be used on my nVidia 8800GTX's, but I kept that aircooled, and relegated it to my Wife's gaming rig. So, I decided to use these very nice little waterblocks on the 4870, and marry them to Swiftech's newly released Caldera heatsink.

This setup is a fair bit better than any 1-piece waterblock out there, the optimum would be seperate components for GPU's, vregs, and memory, but due to the small surface area (and thus mounting issues) of the vregs, it's not practical to do - it can be done, but I don't wsnt to risk damaging the flimsy SMC's with this method.

Without further ado, a few pics of the Caldera, and fitting to the gfx card - take note, this is an early set of pictures, card is currently running with the waterblocks et al, will post some piccies later.

Bare heatsink, front view:

CalderaFront.jpg

and the same from behind:

CalderaBack.jpg

A compare next to the original aircooled setup:

CalderaOriginalCompare.jpg

Some angled cose-ups of it, fitted:

CalderaMountedClose1.jpg

CalderaMountedClose2.jpg

Side-on, mounted:

CalderaMountedSideon.jpg

And a full frontal nude:

CalderaMountedFront.jpg

Will post a few pics of the motherboard waterblocks, and gfx running in the system - looking rather nice I must add.

Hello Guys,
I mentioned previously, that while I'm prepping the BB case, that the system is up and running in my spare box, a Lian-Li A20.

Just a few pictures of the case, with a massive Feser 480 quad Rad fitted to the bottom. Right next to the rad is a PC Power & Cooling 1Kw Turbocool PSU.

I recently cut a nice intake hole in the side window, the other panel is the same, venting out.

A20Case.jpg

Below you can see where I modded the original HP SAS cage into the A20 frontpanel, and it's now sporting 4x SAS drives, running Raid 10 - pretty quick, if you ask me :)

HPCage.jpg

Below you can see the 2x Fuzion V2 waterblocks fitted to the SuperMicro X7DWA-N motherboard, with Tygon tubing connecting everything - I might see if I'm willing to spent the (big) bucks on Bitspower fittings, to make this more decent/professional.

CPUWaterblocksMounted.jpg

Here you can (barely) see the HD4870X2, with waterblocks fitted - look closely though, and you'll make it out....

SAS_GFX2.jpg

and below that, the humongous/massive HP P800 16-port Raid Controller, with dual batteries, and 512M cache.......this card is so long, it's the same length as the E-ATX motherboard, and totally dwarfes the HD4870X2 gfx card....

SAS_GFX1.jpg

And here an overall shot of the motherboard/associated components.

Once I move the components over to the BB case, will I post close-up shots of each card.

Motherboardview1.jpg

A few progress shots, finalizing the radiator brackets - as you remember with the previous update, I still had to finish the cut-outs where the fans mount, and it's done:

CompleteBrackets2.jpg

Not bad :)

And fitted my spare aluminium fans, not looking to bad.....

FansInstalled1.jpg

FansInstalled2.jpg

FansInstalled3.jpg

and a shot from afar:

FansInstalled4.jpg

\
I'm pretty happy how it's coming together, your thoughts appreciated.

Hello Guys,
A small update on this mod -> I have now fitted the EATX motherboard to this case, and it fills it rather nicely :)

I have also permanently mounted the 5x SAS drives and the HP drive-cage to the this case, so it's getting together nicely - now I'm just hoping someone would sponsor me with a few BitsPower fittings to properly route the tubing to/from blocks

I need to speak with someone to see if they want to be associated with this rather unique mod :) We can only hope.

Herewith a few pictures of the motherboard fitted - I will replace the tubing and fittings with something decent, this mod has a short way to go before finished - I only need fittings and decent tubing.

Showing how well the SuperMicro X7DWA-N fits into the Blackbird case - nice and full....

mobo1.jpg

and here 2 pics showing close-ups of top and bottom clearances, for those that are considering something similar....

mobo4.jpg

and

mobo3.jpg

Guys, this is pretty decent considering I'm mounting a massive PC P&C 1Kw Turbocool into this box too, and space for 8x SAS drives, and a very decent watercooled setup, with 2x quad Xeon 5430's, as well as dual GPU HD4870X2...all watercooled.

Very nice server-box, and doubles up as a fantastic gaming-rig....

Nice.

Feedback appreciated.

and below that, the humongous/massive HP P800 16-port Raid Controller, with dual batteries, and 512M cache.......this card is so long, it's the same length as the E-ATX motherboard, and totally dwarfes the HD4870X2 gfx card....

SAS_GFX1.jpg

And here an overall shot of the motherboard/associated components.

Once I move the components over to the BB case, will I post close-up shots of each card.

Motherboardview1.jpg

That is some sick f*cking hardware right there, retails for $949.00 :eek:
May i ask you what is the purpose of such expencive build? Just Gaming? :D

And great job, killer rig! And props for using R3400, i had it myself on my old rig.

Hello Vlad,
Ah, thanx for your reply. Gaming is just one of the few functions (if I have time) of this rig.

I am Service Manager (Australia) for possibly the largest Pulp- and Paper Machine and Control System Supplier in the world today, and form part of the automation (DCS = Distributive Control System) team, and do a fair bit of developement and engineering work from home, as well as remote customer support et al.

I have a full-blown process simulator running on this platform, with all operation and engineering environments loaded, as well as historian unit, etc. This box here could potentially control a complete paper-machine, so it is rather powerful.

But, I do enjoy the odd gaming session, I am particularly into sim-racing, having a very decent Nixim frame, and ECCI wheel and pedals.... :)

Lucky me.

At this point in time, no sponsors for me, it is all out of my own pocket :( Wish it was different though.

*subscribed*
Ah, i see. Interesting :) Good luck with your build!

Also, for that much heat are you using just one dual 120 radiator? What are the temps?

The Feser rad is not an ordinary 120x2, it is very capable. It is twice as thick as the BIX'es for example, and it handles the heat-load rather well.

I guess if you have 8 cores chugging away for hours, and simultaneously having a heavy gaming session, it might get warm, but it will still be be way better than air-cooling on the same system.

I will do some extensive testing next couple of weeks and report back on temps. Ambient is rather decent in Melbourne, as it's mid-winter, so I will do a second round of tests in the summer too.

i remember having air cooling problems with my old dual quad setup, nice to see that water works well on the system. i'm really liking the matching sleeved cables and black tubing.

Yeah, decent water will always beat even the highest air-cooled attemps :)

I am pretty happy with the results, especially with high ambient temps, then air-cooling gets less efficient.

Will keep you posted.

Hello Guys,
Just a short update - I have refitted the SAS drive-cage once again this weekend, with all 5 SAS drives (for now) displayed in all their glory - I am planning 8 drives for ultimate speed and reliability, as well as storage-capacity.

Here's a shot of the cage fitted, I will post another one from the rear at a later point in time:

drive_cage1.jpg

and an angled one.....

drive_cage2.jpg

Also note to the left of the drive-cage the standard (long) PCI-Card support bracket, often found in high-end servers, behind this support there is a decent 120mm fan providing airflow accross the drives, as well as cooling the cards in the "PCI-chamber"

For those that own Blackbirds, they know that there are unique thermal-zones, and the PCI zone is seperated by ducts from the top- and PSU zones. I will retain the zone-structure for this project, it works well, and will add to the overall clean look of the project.

Here's another pic of the pci-support mechanism...and you can make out the fan behind too in this shot....

pci_holder1.jpg

Anyway, had to make a support bracket for the SAS Raid card, as it is very heavy towards the rear due to 2x backup support batteries for the batter write cache module.....

support_bracket1.jpg

Here you can see the bracket fitted, and the 2 batteries I am on about....

bracket_fitted2.jpg

Here's another shot.....

bracket_fitted1.jpg

Here's the front-half of the SAS card, with some memory-sinks I have fitted to cool down the CPU and controller chips....

sas_heatsinks.jpg

and here's the card, exposed in all it's glory - it's a monster, really....

full_card.jpg

Everything will fit together like this....

sas_fitted.jpg

and, finally, a shot from underneath.....

sas_gfx_below.jpg

Enjoy it for now, feedback as always appreciated :)

Last edited:
Ok, a last update before the weekend's out.

I have properly secured the radiator, and fitted 2x 25mm fans to see how everything fits together.....here's a shot showing the front fan, clearing the CPU waterblock retention bracket by approximately 1mm.....I will anyway make my own retention brackets, these stockies look totally crap.

fan_fit_front.jpg

And here's a shot showing the rear fan, and the small piece I have to cutout from the fan-body to get the ATX and 4-pin connectors to fit - I can probably get them in, but will prefer to have an easier fit, so I will remove a small piece of the fan-body.

Close fit, as I have said.....

fan_rear.jpg

Here's another upside-down shot of the rad/fan fitment - looking rather nice....

upside_down.jpg

Here's one, showing the 2x onboard fan-headers, which will make cable-run easy and clean....nice....

fan_headers.jpg

And here's a last one, right way up......I will get two decent fans to use, these one's shown here are for measuring purposes only....

angle_front.jpg

Back