• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How's the Logitech G9?

Call me crazy but I like the look of the G9. It's not exactly... "sleek", but hey, after you've thrown cold cathodes in your computer, you have a black brushed metal computer case, your keyboard is the only one on the block that is capable of doing blue, red, and purple lights (my Saitek Eclipse II), then the G9 has a certain futuristic type look that fits in really well. At first I thought "huh", but I started to like it before I even ordered it, and when I got it I loved it. Loved it ever since :D
 
I have the G5 and I hate the middle mouse button. I like the way you can move it left or right, but wish that I could make use of the middle button as well. Every time I try and use it I end up clicking it either right or left, so I have given up trying to use it, and just map the left scroll and right scroll to keyboard commands in the games I play.

Is the G7 or G9 any better in regards to the middle button?

I would like to know this too. I went from my G5 back to an MX518 because of the wheel and the lack of two thumb buttons.

I also thought the mouse wheel was inaccurate (or at least less accurate than the MX500/518) - possibly as a side effect of making it a tilt-wheel. For example, a single scroll 'tick' might cause pages to scroll twice or not at all. With this said, can anyone comment on the accuracy of scrolling on the G9?
 
I actually am considering this as a back up mouse just in case my wireless ones have problems. (I have a G7 and an MX1000) The only problem i've had with corded mice aside from running my chair over the cords are my cats are taking the mouse name too literally and chewing on the cords, hence a dead mouse after awhile. Ah well, guess i'll have to hide this next one. :p
 
Looks like a few of you have the G9 installed on a 64bit Vista OS.

Are you seeing a true 1000Hz USB port polling rate?

You can test it with Mouserate.
http://files.filefront.com/mouserateexe/;5066268;/fileinfo.html

I'm using Vista Ultimate 64bit and am looking for a gaming mouse but have read too many posts that with Vista 64bit you can not take the polling rate higher than the default 125Hz. I've tried the HIDUSBF.sys hack and it did not work for me (causes my port to shut down after a cold boot).

.
 
Interesting.... as I understand it the G9 supports polling up to 1000Hz.

I wonder if the default Setpoint configuration is 500Hz?

In my reading on this Vista bus polling issue there have been more than a few comments that at 1000Hz polling, many users are seeing a lot of/too many CPU cycles being dedicated to the polling and it is affecting frame rates in some games. What I'm not sure of is if they are having all their ports polled or just the port the mouse is on. Apparently, with the right driver, you can poll only the mouse port at a higher rate than the default 125Hz. I'm thinking that perhaps the Setpoint default is 500Hz to minimize issues with the mouse consuming CPU bandwidth.

.
 
Well I decided to go with the MX518.
After all the sad stories I been hearing about the wheel on the G5, and also I don't feel like paying so much for a mouse (G9) that hasnt been on the market long enough to see how long term usage pans out.

I should have it tomorrow or the day after.
Maybe later this year I could give the G9 a try once I see more reviews and peoples opionions on the the mouse and how durable it is.
 
i'm looking at either the mx518 or the g9. the one thing i'm interested to know about the g9 is how the scroll wheel works as a button, ie. middle clicking. i game enough, but i also use the 3d application maya quite a bit. it requires me to middle click a lot. i have an mx500 right now, but its aging and i need to replace it. the scroll wheel on it works great as a middle mouse button, easy to press, i just don't want to get the g9 and have the middle click be clunky and hard to press....any thoughts?
 
I went from a G5 to a G9 and will not look back I love the built in memory that saves my profiles and the middle scroll wheel is easy to use as a button without accidental scrolling, I am currently using the wide grip.

The only issue is the LED does not change colors properly.
 
The middle click definitely isn't as soft and easy to press as on the MX500 and will take some getting used to. I wasn't sure if I could stand it at first, but it doesn't bother me as much now. I have it set to the "Spy!" voicemenu in TF2, and it gets used a lot. :p
 
I've found I really like the middle mouse click. You know you are pushing the button but it doesn't take a hell of a lot of effort to do it. You can reposition your hands or whatever and have no worries of clicking the center wheel.

It's a flat surface as opposed to the g5 and g7 so that also makes it a lot easier and more comfortable.

In my opinion, it's the best scroll wheel button I've used.
 
Installed the G9 and Setpoint 5.00 64bit software today to run with my Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Ran Mouserate and saw 500Hz.

Played with Setpoint a bit and then configured the Game profile so that it would autodetect applications. Assigned the various game executables I wanted it to detect. Noted under the "Pointer" screen the option to select various polling rates. General is default at 500Hz and Gaming is default at 1000Hz.

Tried to change profiles with the button under the mouse. Would not work. However once in game the LED's changed colour as per the profile configuration in Setpoint.

Got the bright idea to assign Mouserate under the Game profile. Started it up.... 1000Hz.

I prefer using the skinny rough textured grip. My only complaint about the mouse is that the two side buttons are about a 1/2 inch too close to the rear of the mouse.

Now I just have to try a reboot and see if the settings stick.

Thanks for the feedback; it gave me the confidence to go out and buy this mouse.

.
 
My 2cents again.

Got the Mx518 and it's just like my MX500. Only smoother with the 1600dpi.
From what I noticed it runs on 800dpi by default and you have to crank it up manualy every time. I used to have my mouse settings on max in windows but on 1 in CS S.

Now it's on 1 point below half way in windows and still on 1 in CS S. This is for 1600dpi.
Because the shape is the same as the MX500 I got used to instantly.
Only difference is that the MX518 is smoother surface on top than the MX500.

I'm happy with my purchase and should give me a few more years of joy.

Thank is all.
 
You're posting about the MX518 in a post asking about the G9.... you fail. Please post a different thread about it :D

That is all

/being an asshole
 
On sale now at Amazon - $46 AR. I just grabbed one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/rebates/B000UHE8Y2/


Yeah, they finally lower the price again. I should've bought it the last time it was $45 after rebate, but delayed because I thought the price would drop more. When the rebate ended, the price stayed at $65+. I ended up using a $50 Dell gift certificate to get it for $40 after tax and shipping. Now it's back at $46. :(
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't understand how people have such problems with wire.

Most new monitors these days have USB ports to connect your mouse through so you dont get pull from behind a desk as well. The new LG 24" monitor I bought has this option, and it works great. No wire tugging at all. Just reminding people who dont like wireless for lag options, but hate tug from wires that this is an option to look into.
 
There may be issues with the high polling rate (ie 500Hz, 1000Hz) if you connect the mouse via a USB hub. It is better to connect the mouse directly to a port off the motherboard. Some of the polling rate hacks and maybe some of the manufacturer supplied software limits the higher poll rate to the one port that the mouse is on.

Hence, a longer cord is better.

I've never used the monitor hubs anyways as I'm never sure if they are passive or active (powered by USB vs powered by a 120V adapter) and I only want active in my system.

.
 
I can never tell much of a difference when chaning mice, if I changed from my MX1000 to this would I notice a difference other than getitng the cord tangled up all the time and knocking over my beer n such?
 
At first it took a while to get used to.. but the G9 is totally a SWEET mouse, I love it, it was awkward to use at first, but now any other mouse just feels way too strange. Playing with this mouse definitely improved my FPS gameplay.

It's comfortable after you get the hang of it, it's not made like any traditional mouse. Also I'm lovin the crazy high DPI.
 
I moved from the G7 to the G9 primarily due to the battery issues with the G7. Hate getting shot in the face when I am fumbling around trying to swap out the battery. The G9 is fantastic. The choice of grips is good, although I would like to see some 3rd party grips as I don't find the G9 that comfortable for work use (I use an MX Revolution). The accuracy is superb, better IMHO than the G7, which was also very good, especially for a cordless. No real issues with the cord. Well worth it, especially if you can get it for $45 after MIR.
 
So my best bet it to keep my mx1000 (great battey life) and get the G9 for gaming only?

Personally, I have never used an MX1000, but I would definitely recommend the G9 for gaming. I am at work on a computer for around 12 hours per day, therefore, I want a REALLY comfortable mouse. The larger rubber grip is pretty nice to use, but I still prefer the MX from a comfort standpoint (although, even this is giving me some pain, so I would add a disclaimer that if you use ANY mouse for long enough, you will no doubt have a few comfort issues). That is really my personal opinion, others may totally disagree. At $46, it is totally worth a try.
 
Back
Top