How's LOTRO?

Only level 5 and I've run into my first NPC camping situation. At least he seems to spawn fairly quickly, but there were 5-10 people in the area waiting to kill him.

so, shall we decide on a server? im on nimrodel

im currently on Landroval, little did i know that is the unofficial RP server. i dont like RP so im looking for a new server. Nimrodel seems appealing but im not sure if its another unofficial RP server. i know theres RP in every server but id like to be in one with as little as possible.

No one seems to talk on Brandywine, hard to say if it's an RP server or not. My guess is no.

im currently on Landroval, little did i know that is the unofficial RP server. i dont like RP so im looking for a new server. Nimrodel seems appealing but im not sure if its another unofficial RP server. i know theres RP in every server but id like to be in one with as little as possible.

Ummm...playing an MMORPG without the RP part?

So....you're just playing for the grinding? :confused: :(

Hardly anyone plays for the RP part anymore. Even still, there's a huge difference between a RP server and a normal one. By RP I don't mean "I'm an Elf, I kill Orcs with my bow!" but rather having a back-story, basing your actions in game off that back-story and sticking to character 100% in game and possibly even in guild chat. The last time I played RP seriously was in Star Wars Galaxies and although it was fun, my group was in the minority even on an unofficial RP server. Interesting that LOTR has such a strong RP presence, but I guess it shouldn't be surprising as there is a lot to create a character with.

I myself will stick to being just a guy playing a game, perhaps dipping into casual RP once in a while but nothing too serious. It's not worth the trouble in my mind.

theres more to the game than just RPing, to me atleast. running around with my friends finishing quests, exploring the game, etc. reminds me of wow while doing BWL i guess. hangin out with guildies trying to down a boss. unless thats considered RPing?

Downloading now, have 51 minutes (total :cool: )

What server should I choose? I want to play with [H] guys

I don't know if there is a unified [H]ard presence yet. Everyone in this thread seems to be on different servers.

I was doing one of the quests that involved killing some plants and shouted 'Die evil weed' and it censored the 'weed' part! What's up with that?

What? Weed was used in the books. If I was just slightly more of a dork I'd email the developers about that.

It's a pretty harmless word though. I doubt kids are going to see it mentioned in LOTRO and then have the urge to smoke up. Also with so many other names for the stuff it's futile.

I played beta for a long time and quit the game during that time, I even turned my beta key back in.

This is a game where they got the environment but the story is missing. What I mean is, it feels as if I am in LOTR from a visual standpoint, but the essence is missing.

I simply could not stand the horrid NPCs. They use a different animation system from the players and hence just stand around unless scripted. Faces on them never change, its like the night of living dead. Worse when some walk it looks like they have a load in their shorts.

Combat animations, uh, whats so hard about animating a parry, dodge, or block? Worse I had too many fights where it appeared we were feet apart. Skills were boring.

Traits, the so called big thing in character development. Here is where the grind really is. Want that stat bonus trait, be prepared to kill 30 slugs or wolves or <insert mob name here>. Want the second tier, well there are always more <insert mob name here>. Now you can traits from repeating actions over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Get the hint?

World. Without a doubt one of the best looking games of the games that went for a realistic look (I still prefer's WOW heavily styled method). The problem with realistic looking worlds is that things that don't work right in those worlds quickly bring them down.

Like, uh, zoning INTO and OUT OF buildings? Hello? Worse, zoning within buildings to other rooms. I understand they why, but they could have done something a whole lot better. The sky is beautiful, don't look straight up or you will forever ruin the effect. Water reflections are some of the best to date. The problem of course being, model animations SUCK. Its like two different graphics engines.

Long term game play. Some crafts suck because nothing drops (like scholar). Others produce so so items that you so quickly can out grow, provided you can even find the mats for them, that it makes you wonder what crafting is for. Want money? Be a farmer.

Long term game play seemed to comprise lots and lots of solo time with ad hoc groupings to get one quest done with people suddenly leaving as it finished. Game does not encourage the need to group. Worse, some of the quests are so long chained people cannot cooperate unless they all start at the same time or have great coordination.

UI. Turbine still doesn't know how to make a UI. Current UI was a mismash of panels that look appropriate to a fantasy game and some that should be on a PDA in half life. Its nice you can move stuff around (CTRL \)? but the interface just isn't up to the standards set by WOW or EQ2. It also seems sluggish, as in slow to do what I want my character to do sluggish.

Oh well, I'll wait a few months and troll fan based forums to see how the game is going. I do not trust Turbine; after AC2 debacle; and as such I will not put money into one of their games without seeing how they handle it.

heh I just discovered something that I think is really cool about LOTRO. I know this is probably not news to many of you but for other casual players out there like me who simply don't go and spend hours reading up on the game this might be news to you.

I just figured out that you can buy an instrument in the game and you can actually play it via the keyboard. How cool is that? I thought all the songs that I was hearing people play in game were just hitting a key and the game was playing the song.

Anyways, probably not news to most of you but it has inspired me to go and figure out how to play some simple songs so at least I can say playing LOTRO isn't a total waste of time.

I feels too much like WoW had a child with GW. And the beta is very buggy. Could be fun though, Hobbits rule

heh I just discovered something that I think is really cool about LOTRO. I know this is probably not news to many of you but for other casual players out there like me who simply don't go and spend hours reading up on the game this might be news to you.

I just figured out that you can buy an instrument in the game and you can actually play it via the keyboard. How cool is that? I thought all the songs that I was hearing people play in game were just hitting a key and the game was playing the song.

Anyways, probably not news to most of you but it has inspired me to go and figure out how to play some simple songs so at least I can say playing LOTRO isn't a total waste of time.

yeah i figured out that they were player controlled when i hear the star wars theme lol

I feels too much like WoW had a child with GW.

That is my impression of the game exactly. It's the main quest storyline (and I can only guess further episodes as expansion packs) exhibited by Guild Wars fused with WoW MMORPG gameplay in which soloing is viable most of the time, but all of the best stuff comes from group quests and instances. WoW, however, just has a better gameplay feel to it overall... something indescribable about it just feels good.

Downloading now, have 51 minutes (total :cool: )

What server should I choose? I want to play with [H] guys

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm playing on Firefoot and having a blast. People are cool, but around 3pm on weekdays, the OOC (Out-Of-Character) chat turns into a huge mess, arguing about which is better: WoW or LOTRO. Thankfully, you can leave the OOC room at any time.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm playing on Firefoot and having a blast. People are cool, but around 3pm on weekdays, the OOC (Out-Of-Character) chat turns into a huge mess, arguing about which is better: WoW or LOTRO. Thankfully, you can leave the OOC room at any time.

Any open chat in WoW is usually like that 24/7. ;)

So minstrel is the only healing class? That kind of sucks, I wanted to make a healer but I've always considered minstrels to be a bit.... fruity.

I guess I'll stick with Champion as my solo character and pick either a Captain/Guardian/Loremaster as my group character if I ever join a guild.

i found it amusing , but i do not want to fall back into the MMORPG hole...

Here are some screenies of comparisons of high and low res textures. If you downloaded the beta, then you have low res, if you got it on disc when preordering, then you have high.
http://lotrovault.ign.com/View.php?view=CommunityScreenshots.Detail&id=102

You can also download high if you have low now via a torrent here:
http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/1129419/LOTRO_High_Resolution_client_highrest_dat_Textures

Just wanted to say thank you very much for letting me know. I uninstalled the downloaded beta and reinstalled via DVD, and it's THAT much of a step over the downloaded.

It runs just a tad slower, but looks amazing.
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/7204/screenshot00036fi4.jpg

Woot!
1 more week! :p

They so didn't call Ranger's Hunter's did they? Tolkien's rangers were so much better :mad:

Well, there's Rangers in the game that you run into (Dunedain Rangers; I.E. Strider aka Aragorn)... but I'm not sure if you can become one (just yet).

So... yeah. You're not a Ranger in the game, so therefore the class that closest resembles their expertise was named "Hunter". :)

i reallllly hope they do not add a ranger class... if anyone here knows its middle earth history , they know the ranger are now only a handful... and they are not regular human

i reallllly hope they do not add a ranger class... if anyone here knows its middle earth history , they know the ranger are now only a handful... and they are not regular human

That would almost be as crazy as making Jedi a playable class in a Star Wars MMORPG...

They are a race of Man but not the same as other "Men" in general. They often had much longer life spans among other things than norman Men.

I suspect they will not be anything a Player can become/make in LOTRO.

I have a level 11 Guardian of Firefoot. Name is Hill, if anyone cares.

Fun game, still trying to decide whether to buy it or not. $10 bucks a month isn't that bad..

It's only $10 a month if you pre order the game before the release and register your key with them. They also have a lifetime membership for $200, this is only available if you pre release and then do the deal with them. It would be nice if WoW did a similar deal.

I have GW, I have never tried WoW, I don't belief in the monthly fees. LoTR looks interesting, only thing I hate is that it would be nice if mission destination would show up on map instead of getting a description of where. The jobs and races are a little odd, tried making a captain it wasn't so hot, made a champion and was kicking some rear fast. I like the game, graphics are exellent as someone pointed out the fighting can be a little dumb sometimes, there's some disconnection of leveling up your character is like you got enough money and your level is high enough report to a trainer and he'll take care of everything.

Hmm interesting, what about leveling, anybody know of a lvl cap? I did not play much of the game, possibly because I have just subscribed to 3 months of WoW, any idea of subscription cost yet? And how long the game is.

Beta level cap is 15 unless I'm mistaken. The current Game level cap is 50.

If you pre-order you can get the $9.99 monthly fee for as long as you want as long as you dont suspend/cancel your subscription at any point. Once you do so you revert to the normal pricing. Or you can get the one time $199 that gives you lifetime (of the game) access with no montly fee.

You also get to keep your beta characters, and get a cloak and a ring. The cloak has some health regen on it that is very useful at least for the first 10-20 levels of the game. The ring has some AGI on it and so far I have not found any other ring with stats (though I do know they exist but are just rare)

Beta level cap is 15 unless I'm mistaken. The current Game level cap is 50.

You are correct, so far I think the game is a blast. In the beginning I thought it was just "allright" but after I walked into the Prancing Pony in Bree and met Strider I have been hooked since then.

Lifetime membership for me

Back