How Virtualization is Changing the Shape of Your PC

Rofl-Mic-Lofl

For Whom The Bell Trolls
Will cloud computing and server hosted VMs be the future of computing?

"The way it looks so far for 2011, much of the power, data and abilities of "your computer" will have less to do with the hardware on your shoulder than with the data centers and virtualization capabilities of both internal IT organizations and external service providers."

possibly for most computing. With all the small devices now linking into other servers and such (google docs, ect) on a relatively large scale and our storage going online (EEEpc) I can see cloud computing taking a major role in our lives in the near future. Although nothing really replaces a local machine. The bandwidth required to make cloud computing usable for the average user will take some time but we are getting closer by the day.

I also ponder this question.

possibly for most computing. With all the small devices now linking into other servers and such (google docs, ect) on a relatively large scale and our storage going online (EEEpc) I can see cloud computing taking a major role in our lives in the near future. Although nothing really replaces a local machine. The bandwidth required to make cloud computing usable for the average user will take some time but we are getting closer by the day.

I also ponder this question.

The principle has even been brought to the gaming scene with OnLive. I think the concept is pretty neat and I will be curious to see in the future how both the gaming and enterprise aspects will turn out. I agree about the bandwidth issue though, I lament when a .gif pops up in my RDP sessions!

Itl take off for small applications that don't matter. For anything that has personal data I'm sure the super nerds in us will warn the sheep of the lurking wolves.

I think games would be one of the hardest to put out to the cloud due to not only bandwith but what the consumer wants is more important in this case.... Yes 50% of the "gamers" out there would pick the cheaper option for gaming if it works but the hardcore gamers always want bleeding edge tech under the hood of their games. I've witnessed gamers i live with freaking out due to a tiny nano gitter from lag.....these people drive the market for what happens in the game industry in terms of big changes.

I think games would be one of the hardest to put out to the cloud due to not only bandwith but what the consumer wants is more important in this case.... Yes 50% of the "gamers" out there would pick the cheaper option for gaming if it works but the hardcore gamers always want bleeding edge tech under the hood of their games. I've witnessed gamers i live with freaking out due to a tiny nano gitter from lag.....these people drive the market for what happens in the game industry in terms of big changes.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

You'd be surprised at some of the awful hardware that makes up the majority of gamers. Sometimes I catch myself with pretty unrealistic opinions and assumptions because I am always on this site with other enthusiasts. Most computer users aren't like us ;)

Just what I always wanted... to go back to the days of TIMESHARING bullshit.

Take your Cloud and shuv if up ur azz. :eek::rolleyes::cool:

i just don't want to be stuck playing with sub 720p quality which i beleive is all OnLive can offer.

this is great for resources and such, but there is still so much to do on a home computer that i want my own power for, i am not working on say photoshop with 15mb images over the internet, screw that, or any 3d work, audio work...

Just what we need... Everything streamed to your system, that'll make Comcast's bandwidth caps seem even more rediculous to anyone doing away with their cable TV bill. I use my bandwidth for entertainment and gaming, why would I want to use it for word docs? The cloud only matters for mobile phones and netbooks etc, nothing will replace my desktop/htpc/server.

^^ good point, with ISP looking at a per /mb billing system it seem ISP are going one way, content providers going the other, and in the end we get screwed.

^^ good point, with ISP looking at a per /mb billing system it seem ISP are going one way, content providers going the other, and in the end we get screwed.

Yes. You can spend your money this way over here or you can spend your money that way over there, but you will spend your money. Hell of a deal!

I use VM's extensively for work, without them I'd be dead in the water.

The joy of running Vista and all your tools being incompatible.

You need a reality check. Hardcore pc gamers are realistically a very tiny minority and have next to no influence in the gaming market. The only influence we have would be in the hardware market.

This should be obvious to any serious pc gamer these days. All we get anymore is shitty port after shitty port.

The casuals drive the market and the market caters to the casuals.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

You'd be surprised at some of the awful hardware that makes up the majority of gamers. Sometimes I catch myself with pretty unrealistic opinions and assumptions because I am always on this site with other enthusiasts. Most computer users aren't like us ;)

Unfortunately that is also skewed, not every gamer/casual gamer uses steam.. and if you haven't logged into steam your numbers are going to be skewed if hardware was updated since login. Not to mention the people who disallow surveys.

Also older hardware will dominate because a lot of us gamers hold onto our older video cards in multiple systems etc :)

eh, a throwback to the old unix shell I suppose. It is a good theory but there are tons of security issues not to mention network bandwidth. Imagine what could happen if someone got your google password.

A great number of you have obviously never used a thin client. Even when the server uncongested, and both ends are running over a a fast internet connection, they can be a slow, laggy, pain in the ass.

LOL, actually thinking about it it sounds like ubisoft can provide the software and manage the servers.
We see how well that works.

Posting this from a thin client. My employer is already taking this into affect in our business environment. A growing number of our users are dumping a desktop workstation for a vm and they like it because it allows them to work from home a lot easier. We really see no need in a beefy desktop PC for every user if all they use it for is Word, Excel, and Outlook.

A great number of you have obviously never used a thin client. Even when the server uncongested, and both ends are running over a a fast internet connection, they can be a slow, laggy, pain in the ass.

tru dat. I have been admining Citrix for 12 years and working with VM for about 8 now. While the client side can be a minimum HW req, it can still be dependant on what they have. I have a whole slew of thin clients that cannot be upgraded to the latest ica cleint or even patched for the timezone bug. Realistically about 75% of people use thier pc's for internet and email (im, facebook, gmail etc)..and TBH my blackberry can do most if not all of that.

From a business perspective it's awesome. I can spin off 100 workstations to a contracting partner in a day - have them up and running on our applications and give them full control of thier virtual. They are running standard desktops with virus scan and all the standard apps. I get out of the support game because of that the help desk supports the desktop image. If they require a non standard app the business supplies that so and since they have rights they can install it themselves so I get out of the application support game...worse case scenario if they blow up a workstation I can spin of a new one fresh as a daisy!! lol.

Now to apply that model full scale to the home user - that would be great. But would require the bandwidth and back end infrastucture - both of which are not cheap. A $5000 dollar server with internal disk can probably host about 20 virtual workstations if I am giving them a desktop like performance model..so hardware cost alone is $250 per virtual. Add to that licensing for os and standard apps, Cost of DC space, power, cooling. The price of admin per server, back ups etc. Suddenly it's not so cheap. Even more expensive when you add in SAN costs and failover.

Good luck knowing what country in which your data is stored. Currently, Google cloud apps will only tell you which countries in which it won't be stored.

Not where it will be stored.

Good luck knowing what country in which your data is stored. Currently, Google cloud apps will only tell you which countries in which it won't be stored.

Not where it will be stored.

^^^^ YEA A HUGGGGEEEE CONCERN!!! ^^^^^

I like to keep my data safe......

i use 3 layers of encryption on my important files (truecrypt w/ false passwords and false volumes {big brother proof})

I work for a pretty large webhosting company that started on the east coast, but has since expanded with 4 additional datacenters and I have to say that Cloud / Virtualization has really taken off these last few years. Starting off with swsoft's Virtuozzo and migrating over to Vmware's ESX/ESXi, its been a blur.

It definitely is becoming more of what the ISP/Host can provide vs what demand is out there for virtualization, thats for sure. But its fun... now if I could only afford my damned Vmware Vi3 and VCP4 classes ;)

Back