How To Temporarily Delay The Windows 10 Anniversary Update

HardOCP News

[H] News
Not quite ready for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update? You can actually delay the update for up to four months simply by changing a single setting. Hopefully this works better than trying to opt out of the free Windows 10 offer.

If you're running Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise, you can delay the upgrade by at least four months. In version 1511, go to Settings > Update and Security > Advanced Options and click the Defer Upgrades check box. That option moves your PC from the Current Branch (which gets feature updates as soon as they're released to the public) to the Current Branch for Business. With that option turned on, you will continue to get regular security updates but won't have to deal with that big upgrade for at least four months -- until Microsoft declares that it's ready for the Current Branch for Business.

Just backup your existing system with something like TrueImage, install the update, make sure it activates then reinstall your original system from the TrueImage backup. You can then delay the Windows 10 upgrade for as long as you want. This is what I've done.

Even easier and a bit safer, make a backup and restore it to another drive.
Use that drive to perform the updates and then boot from your original drive to get back to where you started.

Microsoft continually stabs itself in one foot while standing on a rusty nail with the other.

Cortana will now be the only search option . Thank god for Search Everything.
Everything Search Engine

Wi Fi Sense be gone, never made sense in the first place.

Hey, we are slowly reverting the start menu back to W7 style, we can't do it all at once because that would mean we listened to our customers.

Our new browser that nobody uses is almost up to Netscape Navigator quality, but the battery life is 0.001% better.

At this point I'm just going to update it is available.

I don't NEED windows for day to day use. I only dual boot to it to play games. At this point I'm hoping this update will fix everything they broke in Threshold 2.

I want my NIC Bonding back damnit, so I don't have to unplug my two Ethernet cables and plug my one cable in, every time I switch from Linux over to Windows. I curse Microsoft every time I have to do this.

Can you link to this info? I currently have Cortana disabled, and have no desire to turn it on. Are you saying I won't be able to winkey+type to launch programs without Cortana enabled?

Hmm. Found it :(

You can't turn off Cortana in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

This pisses me the fuck off. I'm astonished no unstable person without self control hasn't firebombed Ms headquarters yet.

I might just have to revert to Windows 7.

All I want is a 100% local operating system, with NOTHING cloud connected what so ever. With the exception of automatic Windows updates, I want my system to only send or receive packets to the outside world when I EXPLICITLY tell it to.

This cloud shit has to stop! It's bad enough that it exists at all, but removing the off switch?

At this point I'm just going to update it is available.

I don't NEED windows for day to day use. I only dual boot to it to play games. At this point I'm hoping this update will fix everything they broke in Threshold 2.

I want my NIC Bonding back damnit, so I don't have to unplug my two Ethernet cables and plug my one cable in, every time I switch from Linux over to Windows. I curse Microsoft every time I have to do this.

Couldn't you just disable one of the interfaces in Windows?

This pisses me the fuck off. I'm astonished no unstable person without self control hasn't firebombed Ms headquarters yet.

All I want is a 100% local operating system, with NOTHING cloud connected what so ever. With the exception of automatic Windows updates, I want my system to only send or receive packets to the outside world when I EXPLICITLY tell it to.

This cloud shit has to stop! It's bad enough that it exists at all, but removing the off switch?

I agree except for the automatic updates. I want complete control, even for the updates. I'll decide which updates to apply (no I don't want the Russian language update!). I don't think I've ever not installed security patches, but there have been numerous optional ones I said no too.

This 100x :mad:

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't want, and have no use for all this forced cloud stuff.

My mailbox at work is flooded with companies wanting us to switch to "cloud" solutions (and of course bill us monthly for each user).
Why would I trash a perfectly usable phone system, spend thousands buying new equipment, and then spend more every month for each user just so they can use it?
Nice thing about an older phone system, is that I can buy used/refurbished equipment really cheap.

When Adobe switch to their cloud solution, we stopped upgrading the Adobe software on the few systems that where running it.
I gave the new cloud pricing to the marketing manager and she decided to live with the old version for a few more years.

Now excuse me while I go yell at those kids playing on my lawn.

Couldn't you just disable one of the interfaces in Windows?

Unfortunately not.

For LACP to work it must be enabled on both sides.

It is redundant, so if one cable becomes disconnected, it will still use the other if and only if LACP is enabled on both sides.

If you just plug a single cable in from a system where LACP is not enabled on the OS (which is what happens in Win 10 because both Intel's drivers and the native windows bonding are both broken) you get no connection at all.

Last edited:
This 100x :mad:

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't want, and have no use for all this forced cloud stuff.

My mailbox at work is flooded with companies wanting us to switch to "cloud" solutions (and of course bill us monthly for each user).
Why would I trash a perfectly usable phone system, spend thousands buying new equipment, and then spend more every month for each user just so they can use it?
Nice thing about an older phone system, is that I can buy used/refurbished equipment really cheap.

When Adobe switch to their cloud solution, we stopped upgrading the Adobe software on the few systems that where running it.
I gave the new cloud pricing to the marketing manager and she decided to live with the old version for a few more years.

Now excuse me while I go yell at those kids playing on my lawn.

Yeah, I did the same thing with my copy of Photoshop (locked in on CS6). Saw a joke the other day on CodeProject. "The only difference between mainframe computing and cloud computing is who you pay the bills to. It use to be IBM, but now it's Microsoft (or Amazon)". I want nothing to do with it. What's so hard to understand the word 'Personal' from the phrase "Personal Computer".

How does this affect a system running Win10 Pro with Cortana turned off via Group Policy?

I was ready to switch back to 8.1 before discovering Group Policy settings. It seemed to be the tool I needed to fix all my 10 complaints, but if it isn't enough to stop this sort of BS then I'm going back to my 8.1 image and ignoring 10 indefinitely.

Unfortunately not.

For LACP to work it must be enabled on both sides.

It is redundant, so it one cable becomes disconnected, it will still use the other if and only if LACP is enabled on both sides.

If you just plug a single cable in from a system where LACP is not enabled on the OS (which is what happens in Win 10 because both Intel's drivers and the native windows bonding are both broken) you get no connection at all.

Well that sucks.

How does this affect a system running Win10 Pro with Cortana turned off via Group Policy?

I was ready to switch back to 8.1 before discovering Group Policy settings. It seemed to be the tool I needed to fix all my 10 complaints, but if it isn't enough to stop this sort of BS then I'm going back to my 8.1 image and ignoring 10 indefinitely.

After the update, Windows 10 will laugh at your GP setting and Cortado will be forced on for you with the Off switch removed, courtesy of Microsoft Knows Best™.

They're slowly tightening the noose on all the suckers that blind-upgraded because they heard "free update". 8.1 + StartIsBack + very selective windows updates (security patches only) is the way to go if you don't want to deal with the creeping erosion of features, options and choice happening systematically in 10.

Remember kids: "When there's no strings attached, there's chains".

Last edited:
Best thing really is to wait a few months to take the update - let the third party tools catch up first - because MS is likely to break the third party privacy tools and reset privacy settings back to marketing defaults, just like they did in the last major update.

And that's why I run LTSB branch. IMO every system should be considered as mission critical by MS.

Best thing really is to wait a few months to take the update - let the third party tools catch up first - because MS is likely to break the third party privacy tools and reset privacy settings back to marketing defaults, just like they did in the last major update.

So then should the GP setting to "ask before downloading and ask before installing updates" should keep this update at bay? I put off getting w10 until this week because I wanted to give it as much time in the wild as possible so I could hop on board once all the dirty stuff hidden away in it is ousted and fixed by/for the enthusiast community. I'll do the same with this upcoming (and any future) major updates if possible, but if GP settings aren't as good as I think they are I'm just going back to 8.1.

It gets better, seems M$ is going to lock down portions of Group Policy in AU of Win 10 Pro as well so...

This: Microsoft removes policies from Windows 10 Pro - gHacks Tech News
Even if this update doesn't remove GPO over Cortana,

In deep familiar voice: "I have altered the deal, pray I don't alter it further"

What is this LTSB branch and how do I get it?

PCs running life-dependent, highly secure or mission-critical systems, for example in a life-support centre or a military aerospace controller etc. have the option to deploy point-in-time releases known as Long Term Service Branch (LTSB). These will not be updated with new features but will have security and critical updates applied, although the organisation can manage and control the distribution of these updates. LTSB releases will be supported for at least 5 years (10 years if the customer has software assurance). New LTSB releases will be made available every two-three years and customers will have the option whether to install them or not.

Unfortunately it's only available in Enterprise edition, therefore you can't really get it legally for home use. But if MS is going to fuck with me I'll fuck with them.

I always hear from Windows folks that there are to many hoops to jump through and to many command lines to play with to get Linux setup just the way they would want it. Well guys Windows seems to have all those same issues. It seems like it would be a good time to give Linux a test drive once more. :) If you didn't like Ubuntu or Debian or Suse or Redhat ect try out a good Arch based distro Manjaro.

Signed... one of your your friendly neighborhood Linux evangelists. lol ;)

:confused: I must be the only person on here who likes (not loves!) Windows 10 and been lucky enough to have it not eat my dog/cat/1st born, etc. :wacky:

Actually you can turn off Cortana. All you have to do is go in to her settings and then 'Log Out" That will disable her. They should have an off switch as well, but this is mostly just a settings issue, People just love to overreact.

Actually you can turn off Cortana. All you have to do is go in to her settings and then 'Log Out" That will disable her. They should have an off switch as well, but this is mostly just a settings issue, People just love to overreact.

Doing that does not turn off Cortana after the anniversary update.

Last edited:
I always hear from Windows folks that there are to many hoops to jump through and to many command lines to play with to get Linux setup just the way they would want it. Well guys Windows seems to have all those same issues. It seems like it would be a good time to give Linux a test drive once more. :) If you didn't like Ubuntu or Debian or Suse or Redhat ect try out a good Arch based distro Manjaro.

Signed... one of your your friendly neighborhood Linux evangelists. lol ;)

I don't understand it either. Whining non-stop about Windows without considering alternatives doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Hate Windows? There are a lot of alternatives. I don't consider myself a Linux evangelist, but whining non-stop isn't going to achive anything. Unless you drop Windows Microsoft will continue to do whatever they want. Continuing to use their products tells them that what they're doing is just fine by you.

I don't know why people gripe about Cortana so much anyway, I just keep a couple search engines on my bookmarks toolbar and go to them in one click.

Have been using WIN10 myself since release on a few rigs, do not think I have ever used it.

Unfortunately it's only available in Enterprise edition, therefore you can't really get it legally for home use. But if MS is going to fuck with me I'll fuck with them.

My thought: They're giving it out for free as an upgrade. Why do they care what edition I run and how I got it?

(yes, that is rhetorical)

LTSB is quite stable, and there's been basically ZERO features added from LTSB RTM to 1611 to miss out on....only annoyances, breakage, and more annoyance.

I saw this in another thread

Replace cortana for local searches with "Everything Search Engine".
Everything Search Engine

Well guys. I am using Mint. I'd be glad to run Windows 10 but it kept giving me trouble since I was running it off a USB device.

A lot of bitching about Windows yet no one makes the switch.

Well guys. I am using Mint. I'd be glad to run Windows 10 but it kept giving me trouble since I was running it off a USB device.

Of course not.

Try doing professional document drafting....none of the tools are on Linux that are up to par. Office is the standard. Anything else (Libre or Open Office) can create broken documents when viewed in the professional toolset that is Office that the rest of the world uses. Audio drivers, That swank high-powered soundcard-none of the advanced features you paid bucks for work in Linux. How the ICC support for loading different gamut profiles for monitors? LOL, goodluck, and be prepared to read lots of wikipedia pages to get it to work.

Oh yea...and the most hilarious one.....

That swank just released AMD GPU you just bought? Probably does not have ANY DRIVERS for it for Linux. NONE. No XOrg, no GNOME, no KDE, no nothing GUI wise for you....and be prepared to wait 6+ months for said drivers to hit either AMDCCCLE or FOSS AMD drivers.

I say all that as someone who misses their Arch Linux they used to run.

Did you actually bother reading the article you linked? Cortana cannot be turned off in the anniversary update, the service can't be disabled. The article is just playing semantics games. At best all you can do is log out of it, but you're still getting annoying web results when all you want is to find a local file. Fuck that.

And the GPedit disable only applies to enterprise, not home or pro. Sorry.

Last edited:

I made the switch back in 1999 when I got tired of Windows 98 blue screening.

In the beginning I dual booted a lot, but over time more and more programs either run in Linux, or Linux alternatives that are "good enough" work in Linux.

(For a while I even triple booted :p Linux for most stuff, Win2k for some productivity programs that wouldn't run in Linux, and Win98SE for games)

My first Linux distribution was a free Slackware disk that came on the front of a PC magazine in the early to mid 90's. I was ~13 years old. Installed it on my 486 because I was curious. Realized there were no games, and returned to DOS in a hurry :p

Since making the switch for real in 1999 I've used the following distributions:

~1999: Red Hat: This was my first real linux experience. Liked the stability. Hated the RPM manager. had a difficult time telling what was installed most of the time.

~2002: Gentoo Linux: Loved the Portage package manager, and the fact that everything was compiled from source with my specified optimizations. Often had to go to the unstable branch for compatibility with my hardware though, and this means it broke. Often. Eventually I got tired of random stuff breaking and having to fix it, and decided to move on.

~2005: Ubuntu Linux (Breezy I think?). Was impressed with how refined it was, and how much stuff "just worked". My linux experience up until this point had been one of constantly needing to find workarounds to make my hardware work, and Ubuntu just worked out of the box. Was very impressed. I also liked the Apt package manager. When the Unity interface became the default in Natty I was annoyed but witched to "classic" and it was fine. Then Oneiric came out, and classic mode completely disappeared. For a while I fought with installing the old desktop on my own in Oneiric, but then I discovered Linux Mint. The fact that it was Ubuntu based (I got to keep the "hardware just works" feature and a package manager I like), but with a desktop I can tolerate as default, switching became obvious.

~2012 and on: Linux Mint. Started with the Maya (13?) release and Cinnamon, and haven't looked back since. I still keep Windows 10 installed, but these days it's only for games, because even with the titles that do run in Linux, they usually run smoother, look better and have better mouse feel in Windows. Everything else I do in Linux.

Just upgraded to Mint 18 Cinnamon edition a couple of weeks ago. Had some initial issues (it feels like they jumped the gun on this release, and released it before it was ready). I ran a clean Mint 18 install side by side with 17.3 until I was happy that the bugs I encountered were gone, and then I zapped my 17.3 partition.

Of course not.

Try doing professional document drafting....none of the tools are on Linux that are up to par. Office is the standard. Anything else (Libre or Open Office) can create broken documents when viewed in the professional toolset that is Office that the rest of the world uses. Audio drivers, That swank high-powered soundcard-none of the advanced features you paid bucks for work in Linux. How the ICC support for loading different gamut profiles for monitors? LOL, goodluck, and be prepared to read lots of wikipedia pages to get it to work.

Oh yea...and the most hilarious one.....

That swank just released AMD GPU you just bought? Probably does not have ANY DRIVERS for it for Linux. NONE. No XOrg, no GNOME, no KDE, no nothing GUI wise for you....and be prepared to wait 6+ months for said drivers to hit either AMDCCCLE or FOSS AMD drivers.

I say all that as someone who misses their Arch Linux they used to run.

1.) It is a shame that Office has become the standard, but it s what it is. Liberoffice is really quite good... If you only work with other people who use Libreoffice. I use Libreoffice for all my own documents, and load Ms. Office 2010 in Wine when I have to look at someone else's, or need to work on a shared document.

2.) I bought my sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD for it's good DAC (well, relatively speaking, it's still internal on the noisy PCIe bus, but...) quite a few years ago now. It works excellently in Linux. Yes, it has all those fancy extra features in Windows, but even in windows I usually just turn them off. The extra features seem like useless fluff to me.

3.) Agreed about the driver thing. While its better now than it has you still have to be a little bit more careful when selecting your hardware than you do under Windows. You can't just buy whatever you want and expect it to work, you need to research things for compatibility first. This is because most hardware manufacturers don't write drivers for their stuff for Linux, so its up to the open source community to reverse engineer the stuff and that takes time. Luckily, Nvidia is the exception, and their binary blob drivers work perfectly in Linux on launch day, but this is the exception, not the norm.

As I said earlier, I use Mint Mate (latest release). I just installed it a week ago because Windows which was running on a USB hard drive stopped working. I can probably reinstall it but it was always unstable to an extent because running off USB drives isn't officially supported. This is a secondary machine but I use it every day.

I am pretty impressed how well it works on this NUC. Everything works fine including the bluetooth card which I use a bluetooth mouse and speakers. I've use a few distros over the last 15+ and never has the GUI system worked so well without things breaking a day later. I've even run some games off Steam and they ran just fine (bear in mind these are Intel graphics). I had to tweak Mate a bit to make it look nicer than Windows 2000 but aside from that and the lack of software I am used to, it works great. I now think they finally perfected the GUI.

It has been 5 years since I tried any Linux GUI. I usually just use a bash install for programming purposes. I am excited about the one built into Windows.

1.) It is a shame that Office has become the standard, but it s what it is. Liberoffice is really quite good... If you only work with other people who use Libreoffice. I use Libreoffice for all my own documents, and load Ms. Office 2010 in Wine when I have to look at someone else's, or need to work on a shared document.

LibreOffice just isn't that good. ChadD talked about how Microsoft was sabotaging touch in the Chrome browser on Windows, which I've never seen on multiple touch capable Windows devices. LibreOffice is USELESS on something like a Surface Pro or Book. Totally touch not capable. Not even touch scrolling in Windows. I get that's a minority of Windows users but there a hell of a lot of Windows 2 in 1 devices being sold and LibreOffice is pointless if one ever uses with touch. Plenty of other free software like Sumatra PDF at least supports touch scrolling. It's death by a thousands cuts with something like LibreOffice. Not bad, except that it gets progressively worse.

3.) Agreed about the driver thing. While its better now than it has you still have to be a little bit more careful when selecting your hardware than you do under Windows. You can't just buy whatever you want and expect it to work, you need to research things for compatibility first. This is because most hardware manufacturers don't write drivers for their stuff for Linux, so its up to the open source community to reverse engineer the stuff and that takes time. Luckily, Nvidia is the exception, and their binary blob drivers work perfectly in Linux on launch day, but this is the exception, not the norm.

This is very reasonable. But you really can't expect OEMs to give top support to desktop Linux anymore than Windows phones. It's not a conspiracy.

Back