How to ship a mITX PC?

Dangman

Ninja Editor SuperMod
Hello there,

I've built a MITX setup for someone in another state. It's a bitfenix prodigy sized case with a coolermaster hyper 212 type HSF. My question is what can I pack inside the case itself to keep that HSF and the rest of the pc safe? The client doesnt know how to build or upgrade a PC and the case layout requires you to pretty take apart the entire PC to attach a HSF. Which defeats the purpose of me building the PC in the first place.

So any advice? Again talking about inside the MITX case itself. Not how to ship the PC itself

I'd pack a lot paper in the case and button it up nice and tight, essentially treating the case as a packing box for the computer, then box the computer up. If you can get some foam and cut it up for a tight fit that might work better.

They'd still have to open it but just to remove the packaging material though.

I think I can convince the client to open up the PC to remove the packaging.

Thanks for the help!

Do not stuff the case with paper. That's like inviting static in to play with your components.

Do not stuff the case with paper. That's like inviting static in to play with your components.

I've never had an issue with paking paper making static electricity, even during the winter where I can't take off my headphones without zapping myself. If it is really a valid concern among [H] members I haven't heard/seen it. I've received quite a lot of computer components packed in just paper, no anti-static plastic or anything to be found... Maybe I've just been lucky. :confused:

That said they make anti-static packing peanuts and bubble wrap that one could stuff all up in there instead.

Well too late now: Just shipped the PC with newspaper inside of it. We'll see how stupid of a mistake that was in a week.

Well too late now: Just shipped the PC with newspaper inside of it. We'll see how stupid of a mistake that was in a week.

Please report back if you have any issues, I am planning on doing the same for a pc I'm shipping to japan for a friend.

Having worked in a printing plant newsprint has to be the worst of all. Nothing like turning the lights off and watching them sparks fly at the press blankets. There's a reason paper used for printing is kept in a climate controlled room prior to heading to the press. Too much moisture and it shrinks when dried. Too little moisture and it will expand and also causes too much static. Newsprint is the cheapest paper produced made from recycled paper and groundwood (groundwood being the tailings left on the ground from harvesting). You might be okay but I would not risk it myself.

Having worked in a printing plant newsprint has to be the worst of all. Nothing like turning the lights off and watching them sparks fly at the press blankets. There's a reason paper used for printing is kept in a climate controlled room prior to heading to the press. Too much moisture and it shrinks when dried. Too little moisture and it will expand and also causes too much static. Newsprint is the cheapest paper produced made from recycled paper and groundwood (groundwood being the tailings left on the ground from harvesting). You might be okay but I would not risk it myself.

I've never seen it that bad but yeah probably wasn't the best choice. Some news print is better/worse than others it all depends on the stock. You'll probably be okay but given a choice probably best not to use it again :)

stick some cardboard or Popsicle sticks in the fan fins so they don't spin much then zip tie everything down secure. anything that can move secure it to the case on the outside tape cardboard around the case (not to the case though) to protect the finish a little bit more in case the outside box gets damaged. Mark and ship it as fragile and insured.

if you insist on packing inside the case.. they do make anti-static packing peanuts though i haven't used them yet cause they're more expensive.... usually what i'm shipping is being RMA'd so really doesn't matter either lol.

Only once have i seen a Heatsink and fan come off from something like this. I get a lot of new pc's in (mostly dells). I wouldn't' worry about it too much. If you did your job and FedEx doesn't throw it around too much you should be fine.

I see you've already shipped, but I just wanted to chime in for anyone else that might come across this thread - if you think you'll end up selling a system, always keep the original box that the case was in. They're great for shipping.

As for inside the system, well, I've stuffed rolled bubble wrap into systems before and not had any issues, but I prefer to use paper if it's at all possible - usually the plain brown cardboard packing paper stuff.

Back