How to power Push+Pull for TRUE 120 on X58?

[H]adouken

[H]ard|Gawd
I know for one fan only on the TRUE 120 heatsink, you would plug in the the fan into the motherboards CPU fan port (or so I've read).

What do you do for a push/pull set-up, however?

[H]adouken;1033665224 said:
I know for one fan only on the TRUE 120 heatsink, you would plug in the the fan into the motherboards CPU fan port (or so I've read).
What do you do for a push/pull set-up, however?

Well, There's 3 options basically.
  1. You can get a Y-Cable (making sure that the amps and wattage of both fans are not more than the Mobo mfr suggests). Here's one from NewEgg. And here's some from FrozenCPU (that you can get sleeved).
  2. Plug it in using the CHA fan port, but I wouldn't suggest this, as the speed will be different than the other fan.
  3. If you get silent enough fans, just get a couple of the 4-pin molex to 3-pin fan connector cables (the ones with the RPM cable) and use that. Some fans (like the Scythe series) actually have this cable already.
Also, I'd make sure you use 2 of identical fans, so you don't have the 2 fighting against each other.

-Brett

A good place to look for cables is monoprice.com the prices are amazing!!!

Just mount one 120 x 38 and be done with it. ;)
I need to know how to power the fans, not which ones to buy.

Thank you for the help Asmodeus801, I'll come back w/ questions.

** Is a push/pull worth it over just push? If we are talking about 3C cooler it doesn't seem like it's worth the money if it wont help in OCing.

Back