• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How to OC Radeon 9800PRO?

carbonsteel

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
100
I heard you can overclock the Radeon 9800PRO to pretty much equal the Radeon 9800XT? I also heard its tricky to overclock the 9800PRO. Does anyone know how, and if it can be overclocked, it wouldnt be far off of the 9800XT, correct? Also, could someone please explain how to overclock it. Thanks
 
Get ATI-tool (Google it, I can't remember where I got it...Techpowerup.com, maybe?) adjust the sliders (or let ATI-tool do it for you), and get a new heatsink/fan for it.
Mine OC's to just over XT speeds, and is totally stable.
Good luck, and don't melt your card!
 
Still learning here about video cards...i need english lol....
What is that stuff and how the hell do i use it. lol
 
use google.com to search for and download ATITOOL. It is software that overclocks ATI video cards. There is a button for autodetecting your max overclock. Click that. If you can't figure out how to use that, then you really shouldn't be overclocking.
 
I just saw a screenshot of the program...and i do understand better now how to overclock...but if i was to get a 6600GT, would i be able to overclock that also, and i do know that overclocking makes the temp go up, so what would you recommend for a cooling system...one not TOO expensive, but one that will work...thanks
 
I think it really depends on your chip. I had one 9800nonpro that hit 420MHz with the stock cooler. I have one now that only hits 400MHz. This is with the stock cooler. Running at these speeds with the stock cooler should not hurt anything. If you want to go any higher, then you may want to find a better cooler.
 
is the stock cooler the original cooler that comes with the video card? What is a stock cooler vs another cooler?
 
carbonsteel said:
is the stock cooler the original cooler that comes with the video card? What is a stock cooler vs another cooler?

"stock" just means anything that comes "standard" or "without modification"
 
If you recently pruchased it then it probably has the R360 core. If you have the R360 core and a 256MB card, then you can pick up a better heatsink and flash just about any 9800XT bios to the card. I used the built by ATi 9800XT bios on my pro 256mb and it works great. I am using a stock 9800XT cooler now but I was using the Zalman heatpipe.
 
Is the only way to find out what core you have is to remove the heatsink? I bought my card about a year ago, so I doubt I have the r360. I do have a question though in ATI tool it says memory size is 128, but memory bus width is 256, what exactly does this mean? Also what is the best OC tool for the ATI radeon 9800 pro? Thanks. I have had this card for 1 year and never OC'ed it, didn't see the need, but now I have the itch to OC.
Any bios flashing options open to the card if it is a r350 core.
 
I bought my 9800Pro this past August, unlucky enough to have a r350.

Isn't there an MSI card that has a r360 90% of the time?
 
I think ive decided to pick up a motherboard with a PCIE slot and SLI. I honestly believe the end of AGP wont be too far off...therefore..i want to upgrade to something half-decent...so i can get a video card that will last me sometime. I cant even find ANY of the newer ATI card that come in AGP...i think from X800 Pro upwards, (ATI's last 3 releases) dont even come in AGP format. After seeing that...i think im gonna go with a PCIE slot...and another thing...i dont think ive ever seen a board being sold that has both a PCIE slot and an AGP slot...that tells me...BYEBYE AGP!!
 
If it has the R360, then go and flash that bad boy and watch your card be smokin fast... :D

What kinda cooling do u have on it or did you already say? sry for stupid ? if you did
 
hello guys instead of making a new one will continue on this one..i got my arctic cooling and overclocked this card up to 430/364 mhz without any problem on the graphics..
was wondering how much do u managed to push your 9800 pro cards without flashing them to XT...
Btw r these speeds right??

PRO speeds 380/340
XT speeds 412/365

if yes that means that the performance is as a xt now??thanx again
 
It really depends on your card. I've had two 9800 pros (both stock cooling). One hit 430/330, the other hit 405/380. Flashing the XT BIOS probably won't give you any more headroom. But if you have a 360 core, it may add some thermal monitoring features.
 
vlachaquito said:
hello guys instead of making a new one will continue on this one..i got my arctic cooling and overclocked this card up to 430/364 mhz without any problem on the graphics..
was wondering how much do u managed to push your 9800 pro cards without flashing them to XT...
Btw r these speeds right??

PRO speeds 380/340
XT speeds 412/365

if yes that means that the performance is as a xt now??thanx again

I have the VGA silencer 3 on mine along with some copper ramsinks. The ram OC's nicely to over 365, but the core stops just shy of 400, even with the fan on high. Luck of the draw I guess. :(

(r350, BTW)
 
My old r350 9800pro with an iceberg4 and ramsinks on it hit 420/370. Still running stable in another machine.
 
Back
Top