• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How to make this fit

Gomjaba

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 5, 2008
Messages
65
Hiya,

here are my plans

1. Motherboard : BLKDX48BT2
2. CPU : Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9650
3. Ram : Corsair TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN

As far as I understand the Ram is designed for Intel Extreme motherboards, which the one choosen is. I also get some informations out of Corsair that the Ram should work just fine.

I am now trying to find out what I have to do to actually use the Ram to its full potential..

As far as I understand the CPU runs on 1333 Mhz and so does the motherboard.

The Ram however runs on 1600 Mhz and apprently requires manual settings in the bios in order to work.

Now the question(s) I have

1) Can you savely overclock the CPU to run on 1600 Mhz (using air cooling) or can't you actually overclock the FSB ?
1.1) If yes how, does anyone know the detailed settings in the bios
1.2) If yes, which cooler do you suggest (please no water cooling)

2) Does anyone know what specific settings of the ram they are refering to ? Do you also know the details etc. ?

Basically I don't mind NOT getting the MOST out of it I basically want a nice and fast highend PC but the main priority is still : STABILIY :D

Any help is highly appreciated.
 
1) Can you savely overclock the CPU to run on 1600 Mhz (using air cooling) or can't you actually overclock the FSB ?
Yes you can if the bios in your board allows it. RTFM.

1.1) If yes how, does anyone know the detailed settings in the bios
See number 1, Here is a hint, cpu mulitplier 8, FSB 400MHz memory multiplier 1:1 will run the cpu at an easy 3.2GHz overclock (probably will do with stock cooler no problem) and your memory will be running right on spec. set the memory timings to 7 7 7 20 and memory voltage Vdimm to 1.9V.
http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN.pdf

1.2) If yes, which cooler do you suggest (please no water cooling)
I do not recommend any cooler atm until you figure out what you are doing. Once you understand what is going on you will be able to make an informed decision as to how hard you wish to push your system and then make a cooler decision with intellegence. Or just just throw a big wad of cash at it and get a Thermalright Ultra 120 and an ARCTIC COOLING AF12025 PWM 120mm Case Fan.


cpu speed = cpu multiplier x FSB ( 3.2GHz = 8 x 400MHz )
memory speed = memory mulitplier x FSB x 4 (1600MHz = 1/1 x 400 x 4 )
 
RTFM is a good plan - but so is the setup - a plan :) So no FM yet :)

Thanks for the hints :)
 
Back
Top