how to make raid0

I wouldn't be surprised if you had less performance doing raid 0 with that seagate, than just using the WD640.

but can i do raid 0 in thos ? and why you saying its not good with seagate?

but can i do raid 0 in thos ? and why you saying its not good with seagate?

That Seagate is slower than the WD 640GB. So therefore that will affect/lower your potential RAID speed.

And again, google is your friend and RTFM for your motherboard.

Ha. If your doing raid 0 then performance is not what your looking for. Configuration would be done in your BIOS and also in the raid utility that posts after your BIOS. What type of setup do you have? MOBO based SATA RAID? SCSI? External card? Post more info or pm / IM me...

OP, you seem to not know much about raid. You wish to learn about it and that is great, but let me recommend a few things until you get more knowledge and experience:

READ, READ, READ the raid section of your manual.
Read some on line guides. Google for them.
Use a pair of identical disks to start out with. It is not totally necessary to do so but it can save on headaches.
Do not ever put data you can't live without on a raid0 array unless it is routinely and properly backed up. (A partition on the same raid array does not count) ;)

^^ Just to clarify, RAID0 IS mainly about performance.
I thought so too. The only other thing raid 0 gives you is a larger single volume. And spanning is a much safer way to do that than raid 0.

I wouldn't be surprised if you had less performance doing raid 0 with that seagate, than just using the WD640.

I agree with this. You will only be able to use 500 of that 640, and will be limited to the speed of the slowest drive. As far as safety, you should back up your data on ANY drive or drive combo, so provided you are doing that, it isn't much of an issue. Also, this question would have probably been better received if you posted it in the storage section of the forums. Good luck, but even though I am a fan of RAID 0 and use it myself, I like the other recommend two identical drives. You can do it, you just won't gain much from it in this case.

The person who said raid 0 does not give you increased performance is incorrect. However, in this situation, there would most likely be a very limited performance increase.

OP, going raid 0 will give you a performance boost in most situations. That 500GB seagate is a slow drive, where the 640WD is a very fast drive even by itself. By putting them in raid0, you would be limiting yourself to 2x(theoretically) the speed of the slowest drive. It doesn't usually work that way, it's more like 1.5x the performance. I have 2 of those WD 640 drives and by itself, I get around 95-115MB/s sustained throughput, which is probably 1.5-2x the performance of that Seagate as it sits. When I ran them(WD640) in raid, I had approximately 150-160MB/s sustained throughput. I could move around 50MB/s more files in raid 0. But with the increased chance of data loss due to drive failure, I did not think it was worth the risk. Plus I didn't notice any improvement in system performance, or in games. The 640 is already as fast as you'll need for a desktop environment.

The person who said raid 0 does not give you increased performance is incorrect.
Not entirely. In theory, RAID0 is all about performance. In actuality, you get a little speed boost in certain, particular uses. RAID0's never lived up the hype surrounding it.

As for the OP's system, I'd use the 640 GB as your primary system volume, and your 500 GB as the data storage drive.

Not entirely. In theory, RAID0 is all about performance. In actuality, you get a little speed boost in certain, particular uses. RAID0's never lived up the hype surrounding it.
I understand this. Even in my situation where I benched my 2 WD640's in raid 0, I only gained about 50MB/s in a synthetic benchmark. Who knows what the real world performance was? Most likely much less, as to why I never noticed the difference and went back to 1 drive.
As for the OP's system, I'd use the 640 GB as your primary system volume, and your 500 GB as the data storage drive.
That would be a good idea. Any applications that you need speed with, put on the 640. And things like Movies/mp3's/patches, store on the 500.

Back