How to join the [H]orde

• Thread starter Deleted member 79192
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 79192

Well I took the plunge and tried out folding... I figured that since I leave my computer on pretty much 12/7 (only off at night) I might as well put those spare cycles to good use and for a dedicated cause. It turns out it works quite well! I imagined it bogging down my CPU power while I'm trying to do stuff but it doesn't. The program works quite well at only using spare CPU cycles and not interfering with other work.

Anyways I figured I'd join the [H]orde folding team since I've been a member of these forums for a long time and the community has helped me out a lot and stuff. So I went to the main site but it couldn't really answer my question. It didn't provide a solid guide on how to set myself up on your team... Is it really as simple as simply adding the # 33 to my team slot thing in the configuration section of the program?

Yeah, its that simple. Put team 33 when it asks for your team number, and your squared away.

BTW, are you using the graphical client or the command line client?

Hi Matt,
Yes, joining the [H]orde is as easy as specifying Team #33 when you set up the folding program. We recommend using the Console version. I run it as a service and it starts up automatically and stays out of the way. To monitor progress, many use Electron Microscope (Search for EMIII in Google).

Welcome!

I'm using the official Folding@home client. It runs in the background (as a process called "FahCore_82.exe") on the taskbar except when you right click and click on "display" (where it shows the protein). It also has a GUI for configuration though. It seems out-of-the-way enough for me. I like it.

Matt Welke said:
I'm using the official Folding@home client. It runs in the background (as a process called "FahCore_82.exe") on the taskbar except when you right click and click on "display" (where it shows the protein). It also has a GUI for configuration though. It seems out-of-the-way enough for me. I like it.

If you switch to the console version, it is a much simpler version. You dont get to see the protien, but it generally much more stable.

Matt Welke said:

There are several versions of the official Folding@Home client. You appear to be using the GUI version. I run that on several really old machines that will not use the Console version because they are ...cough cough Win98 or WinNT. All other of my boxen run the Console version that you can also download from Standford. Folders report problems with the GUI version, although I've never had serious ones. But, the console version is said to be much more stable and has fewer problems.

The FahCore_82.exe is the program that is doing the actual work on the Work Unit. There are several versions that are specific to sets of proteins. Both the GUI and the Console use these same programs to do the work.

The EMIII program is one written to monitor your folding progress. It shows the protein (optionally), and can monitor multiple computers on the same network. Now that you are hooked, you'll be adding boxen and borging others (with permission), so EMIII is nice.

I am sure that others will chime in and give you even better tips.

Fold On!

If you dont game then the graphic ones stable.
But sometimes it does not work well if your useing OpenGL drivers in a game.
Hence our preference for the console one.

Wellcome to the addiction.

Luck.............. :D

Okay I decided to switch to the console version but so far I don't like it much... it runs in the taskbar taking up a slot instead of running on the tray in the taskbar as a mini icon. Also I can't right click it to check my stats like before or anything... Is there a way to do this with the console thing?

I also have a few more questions... if I was to set this up on another computer could I use the same username I used before to have it pool it all up into one account (easier to view and keep track of)? Or will this confuse things with two logins at once or something?

Matt Welke said:
Okay I decided to switch to the console version but so far I don't like it much... it runs in the taskbar taking up a slot instead of running on the tray in the taskbar as a mini icon. Also I can't right click it to check my stats like before or anything... Is there a way to do this with the console thing?

I also have a few more questions... if I was to set this up on another computer could I use the same username I used before to have it pool it all up into one account (easier to view and keep track of)? Or will this confuse things with two logins at once or something?

1) You can setup the console version (in the config) to run as a service, and it will start up automatically either time windows boots. That way you can install and forget. If you ever need to stop it, you can go to start -> run -> services.msc and browse to the F@H service and stop it. Directions specifically are here.

2) You should use the same username for every client you setup, that way all of the points go to the same username. F@H was built to do this, that way you can keep track of your points.

Welcome to the team! Feel free to ask any more questions you might have.

Go http://www.em-dc.com and download EM3...this can monitor the progress of your WU and anyother WU on other systems.

And yea...use the same username and team number on all of the clients...but if you want to keep a history of how they are doing...get YURT (search the forums)

I can't get into the config... whenever I add the -config tag and click OK it asks "Are you sure you want to remove this file's extention when you rename it?" and if I click Yes then it renames the file, deleting the .exe extention therefore making it not runnable!

*is getting very frusterated*

lol. you dont rename the file with -config added to the end. You RUN the file with -config added to the end.

The easiest way to do this, is Start->Run.. type in the path of the exe with -config added to the end: FOR EXAMPLE:

At the run prompt type:

C:\FAH\FAH504-Console.exe -config

Where the path and exe name would be the location of your FAH exe, note the -config flag.. it is not something you put into the filename, you run the exe as it is, you simply pass it the -config parameter... Once you run it like this, you can set up team# (33), name, and you can have it run as a service (when running as a service, it does not appear on your screen at all, not in taskbar or anything.. You can be sure its running by pressing ctrl+alt+del and it will show FAH using your cpu)

To look at progress, you can, as others suggested, use electron microscope, but if you want to keep things really simple, there is a unitinfo.txt in your FAH folder that displays the current protein's progress and some basic information. (sinse my fah is in c:\fah\, i just made a shortcut on the desktop to unitinfo.txt).

I hope that helps, and welcome to the team. Watch out for the Moose.

Thank you! That did the trick and I'm up and running, hopefully without anymore configuration needed. :)

Jeez I thought I knew a lot about computers but the thought never occured to me I'd need to use the -config tag while running it and that I wasn't supposed to add the tag. The reason I did was because that's what the screenshot shows on that setup site a previous poster gave me. Otherwise that setup helped a lot though and so now I'm all configured and ready to go.

oh wait one more question... how do I pause work if I need to? (The GUI version has a button you could click on the right-click menu of the tray's icon)

You just stop the service to pause the work. When you start it again, it'll run from the last checkpoint (every frame it completes). Also, sorry, I forgot to explain the whole -config deal. I jsut made a shortcut in an easy-to-reach place and edited the path to executable to include the -configonly tag on the end (configonly configures it then exits so I can start the service again. -config configures it then starts working). Just so you know you should stop the service whenever you need make any configuration changes.

If you are running as a service, go into Services and find F@H. Highlight it and a Pause option is shown.

Fold on!

I think I'm starting to get hooked. I borged up my home server (a Pentium 2 I use for overnight downloading) so that it folds when I'm using it overnight. I even talked to bro who's got an Athlon XP like mine about it and he finds it cool that he can have his name up there on the list of the best 5000 folders of the team (if he can get enough folded). Plus he agrees it's a neat idea and since he leaves his comp on pretty much 24/7 anyways he thought it'd be good to not put it all to waste. It's weird how I was able to get him folding... he's your typical grunge teen, opposite of comp nerd. *shrugs*

So anyways now I got two Athlon XPs and a Pentium 2 doing part-time folding for Team 33. :)

Fold on!

Oh and I have one more question. I remember before seeing how many points a protein was worth but I can't remember how. my bro's comp is working on a particularly tough one so he was wondering how much he'd get out of it too when it's done. thanks in advance guys you've been a great help. :)

What speed is the P2 and how long is it on ?
You need to make sure it can finish the work unit before the deadline.
If not you need to reconfigure it to timeless work units.

PS, Anything under 500mhz running 24/7 is safer running Timeless work units.

Luck......... :D

Tigerbiten said:
What speed is the P2 and how long is it on ?
You need to make sure it can finish the work unit before the deadline.
If not you need to reconfigure it to timeless work units.

PS, Anything under 500mhz running 24/7 is safer running Timeless work units.

Luck......... :D
timeless are no more....just let it run

It's a Pentium 2 400 MHz... Anyways I deicded not to bother with it cuz the protein it got would take 104 days to complete assuming I leave it on 24/7 (which I don't even do very often). I'm just gonna let the other more powerful computers in the house do it.

Back