How to install LibreOffice in Oracle Linux Release 7 Update 2

Just to restate my thoughts - IMO the fastest way for you (with your current skill set) to get back to a working system is to just wipe and start over, and being a bit more liberal with some of the space allocations. And that's not a knock.. everything is new to us at some point.

That being said, it never hurts to learn. It just matters if you're up for dealing with it at this particular moment or not.
based on your df output, (knowingly or not) you're using LVM to manage your volumes. This gives you flexibility to resize volumes, but adds a layer of complexity compared to standard partitions administered with just fdisk and mkfs. It also requires you to use a handful of utilities that you may not be familiar with. Check out the man pages for pvdisplay, vgdisplay, and lvdisplay. Try to understand the output for each utility. They also have a suite of related commands to create, resize, and delete physical volumes, volume groups, and logical volumes.

Essentially you have a "physical volume" (your actual drive like sda or confusingly a partition) added to a "volume group". That volume group can contain "logical volumes" and that's what those /dev/mapper/ol-home items are.
So you're going to look at the process to shrink a filesystem, and then shrink a logical volume. That space becomes free to the volume group and can be allocated to ol-var volume. You'll do that and then you'll expand the filesystem.
*note: you have to unmount filesystems to shrink them. that makes shrinking root to be particularly tricky and usually requires booting into a live usb/dvd/cd environment.

Could you do a little searching on Google for phrases like "how to shrink volume with lvm" and "how to expand volume with lvm"? You'll get a ton of results with examples for what you'd need to do. However, you'll probably have the best time if you practice on a Virtual Machine first. You can then snapshot and rollback to save time as you practice a few times.

No the problem is that Linux or this version of Redhat doesn't really resize a partition, but instead just has you delete it instead or so it seems and that's just dumb if it's true.

Last edited:
He's probably just trolling us and laughing under his beard.

Yea because apparently wiping and reloading is better than actually being able to resize a partition, like I should be able to. Basically, where's the shrink and expand volume capabilities?

Last edited:
Serious question & not to derail the thread -- Assuming you aren't building a box for a specific application that writes a ton of data to /var (and yes I have boxes that DO do this...) - does anyone make /var a mountpoint anymore?

I usually just do /boot and / and do them on LVM or btrfs and those have so much flexibility you really don't run into an issue like this.

Another possibility for OP of course is to add a new disk/partition, boot into a live linux cd and make /var a mountpoint after moving everything there. I had to do this the other day when / ran out of inodes due to writing to /var. Ended up with 200k+ files in /var. Gave it it's own 16G disk & I was set after I copied everything over with rsync & rebooted.

No and you completely miss the point, which is I can't really resize because apparently Redhat doesn't really resize a partition and instead just seems like you have to backup everything on the partition, delete the partition, and recreate it. Who's the idiot who thought this was ok because if I have a live system with anything critical the last thing I would want to have to do is wipe and reload when I shouldn't have to considering a programmer or computer scientist can't figure out how to write a program to resize a partition and I know I'm asking alot. However, I'm pretty sure Redhat 5 could, so at what point did they ditch this and decide nope doesn't work or we don't need this or hey lets just make it so it deletes the partition because the user doesn't really need that data anyway or in you guys case just wipe and reload because of course that's always the most convient and best solution when it really isn't. If Windows can why can't Linux is what I'm wondering or complaining about.

Last edited:
I still make /var separate at home and work. It still feels like the most likely thing to grow out of control when things go wrong. To many logs, logs not getting rotated correctly, core files, been burned to many times. Full /var is bad, but full / is worse, and in my experience people don't tend to look at space usage until they start seeing problems.

Thanks at least you seem to understand. In my case I didn't know this changed or would be a problem with Redhat 7 distros.

No the problem is that Linux or this version of Redhat doesn't really resize a partition, but instead just has you delete it instead or so it seems and that's just dumb if it true.

No and you completely miss the point, which is I can't really resize because apparently Redhat doesn't really resize a partition and instead just seems like you have to backup everything on the partition, delete the partition, and recreate it. Who's the idiot who thought this was ok.

LVM fixes this pain point and is the default partitioning scheme for most distributions. I won't disagree if you think you're not using LVM, but I think you should double-check.

No and you completely miss the point, which is I can't really resize because apparently Redhat doesn't really resize a partition and instead just seems like you have to backup everything on the partition, delete the partition, and recreate it. Who's the idiot who thought this was ok because if I have a live system with anything critical the last thing I would want to have to do is wipe and reload when I shouldn't have to considering a programmer or computer scientist can't figure out how to write a program to resize a partition and I know I'm asking alot. However, I'm pretty sure Redhat 5 could, so at what point did they ditch this and decide nope doesn't work or we don't need this or hey lets just make it so it deletes the partition because the user doesn't really need that data anyway or in you guys case just wipe and reload because of course that's always the most convient and best solution when it really isn't. If Windows can why can't Linux is what I'm wondering or complaining about.

LVM is designed for exactly that. If you built it on LVM you can resize it live. You can actually even resize / on a live system with no downtime if you are using LVM + ext4 or BTRFS.

Also it's not "redhat" that doesn't let you resize, it's a limitation in the filesystem/tools and or the filesystem you chose at install time. With that being said it's quite possible redhat doesn't let you install on LVM? I'm not really sure, so I can't answer that.

Resize as in increase LVM volumes is pretty safe. Downsize is always a bit risky.

looking at the df you posted earlier it looks to me like you are using LVMs.
what is the output of the following.
# sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
# sudo pvdisplay
# sudo vgdisplay
# sudo lvdisplay

Yes the link is right, you can not resize using fdisk, but if you are using LVMS and all these volumes are in the same fdisk partition you can grow them. as others have mentioned, assuming you have some free space or a partition you are willing to delete and recreate smaller. The only things i saw mounted as a /dev/sda device were boot and boot/efi. so you are likely using LVMs.

Just to restate my thoughts - IMO the fastest way for you (with your current skill set) to get back to a working system is to just wipe and start over, and being a bit more liberal with some of the space allocations. And that's not a knock.. everything is new to us at some point.

That being said, it never hurts to learn. It just matters if you're up for dealing with it at this particular moment or not.
based on your df output, (knowingly or not) you're using LVM to manage your volumes. This gives you flexibility to resize volumes, but adds a layer of complexity compared to standard partitions administered with just fdisk and mkfs. It also requires you to use a handful of utilities that you may not be familiar with. Check out the man pages for pvdisplay, vgdisplay, and lvdisplay. Try to understand the output for each utility. They also have a suite of related commands to create, resize, and delete physical volumes, volume groups, and logical volumes.

Essentially you have a "physical volume" (your actual drive like sda or confusingly a partition) added to a "volume group". That volume group can contain "logical volumes" and that's what those /dev/mapper/ol-home items are.
So you're going to look at the process to shrink a filesystem, and then shrink a logical volume. That space becomes free to the volume group and can be allocated to ol-var volume. You'll do that and then you'll expand the filesystem.
*note: you have to unmount filesystems to shrink them. that makes shrinking root to be particularly tricky and usually requires booting into a live usb/dvd/cd environment.

Could you do a little searching on Google for phrases like "how to shrink volume with lvm" and "how to expand volume with lvm"? You'll get a ton of results with examples for what you'd need to do. However, you'll probably have the best time if you practice on a Virtual Machine first. You can then snapshot and rollback to save time as you practice a few times.

Now we're getting somewhere. I didn't do a google search on LVM because I didn't think of it or that I can trust any non-Redhat documentation until I understood why it wasn't discussed in Redhat documentation, since I wanted to avoid spam answers. This is the answer I was looking for and sounds or should be the least obstructive as opposed to what bulletdust and some of you others are suggesting, which is wipe and reload because you're all stuck on that old philosophy that I don't know where originated from, but needs to stop. Of course I'm not doing anything mission critical, but how is wipe and reload going to help especially if it was mission critical. I've been taught almost all there is to know about Network Administration and Database Administration in the Education System as well as forensics, so I know wipe and reload should be the last resort. However, the rest of you insist I just do that and not learn what I should really do, so thanks tbg because you are the only one that seems to understand what I mean and why I don't want to just wipe and reload. After all why should I have to if I know I don't especially with now finally with modern Windows Systems.

The thing that impresses me about the OP is that he never stops trying, which is more than I can say for the supposed gamers here that simply sook that somethings too hard.

The thing is Scharfshutze009, you always seem to push too far past that point where you're best to just cut you're losses and start over! I think the VM idea and snapshots is the way to go, stuff something up? Just restore the snapshot.

That's because wipe and reload is not the least obstructive, which you should know by now considering almost all modern popular Operating Systems can resize a partiton. Also, it's frustrating when you know there should be a better way, but nobody either knows what it is or agrees with you or the official documentation doesn't even tell you how to properly do it when it can be done.

looking at the df you posted earlier it looks to me like you are using LVMs.
what is the output of the following.
# sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
# sudo pvdisplay
# sudo vgdisplay
# sudo lvdisplay

Yes the link is right, you can not resize using fdisk, but if you are using LVMS and all these volumes are in the same fdisk partition you can grow them. as others have mentioned, assuming you have some free space or a partition you are willing to delete and recreate smaller. The only things i saw mounted as a /dev/sda device were boot and boot/efi. so you are likely using LVMs.

I would do this for you, but I can't start Network Manager for some reason and I typed service Network Manager start, but it says something like command not found only accepting basic commands (start, restart, stop... blah blah). I didn't have this problem before and if Oracle or this installation keeps this up I'm going to dub it the Unusable Linux instead of Unbreakable.

I looked up how to do this and printed it as a PDF to my flash drive, since either my printer or the printer driver isn't working and my printer manufacturer said contact Linux who being Ubuntu usually being quite helpful about problems actually wasn't. However, the computer lab in my apartment building changed it's print filter or something and now I can't print on nights and weekends for some reason.

I would do this for you, but I can't start Network Manager for some reason and I typed service Network Manager start, but it says something like command not found only accepting basic commands (start, restart, stop... blah blah). I didn't have this problem before and if Oracle or this installation keeps this up I'm going to dub it the Unusable Linux instead of Unbreakable.

to start the network you should just need to run:
# systemctl start network

or if you insist on the old service command
# service network start

You forget or screw Oracle because I couldn't figure out which partition was /var by using the oracle linux installtion disc as a rescue disk, since it wouldn't let me remount / with read write permissions or run any commands and I didn't mount as read only either. This distro is completely, unusable when /var gets completely full and won't let you do anything or what should work. I guess Oracle needs to be added to the list of companies who are taking away user freedom with their products too possibly because I should have been able to do this without wiping and reloading, but it wouldn't let me umount /var from a live filesystem and using rescue mode from the optical media didn't work and would probably also apply to flash media too.

I used the following command to attempt to remount /:

mount -o remount,rw -t ext /dev/sda /mnt

It said unable to create in fstab, so I tried to create a mount point for it called /mnt/partition1, but that didn't help. Therefore unless I have to place or create the mount point in fstab with the output of the blkid command what am I doing wrong because I don't feel I should have to do that unless it's a flashdrive or optical media I didn't have connected or in it's drive during boot.

Last edited:
You forget or screw Oracle because I couldn't figure out which partition was /var by using the oracle linux installtion disc as a rescue disk, since it wouldn't let me remount / with read write permissions or run any commands and I didn't mount as read only either. This distro is completely, unusable when /var gets completely full and won't let you do anything or what should work. I guess Oracle needs to be added to the list of companies who are taking away user freedom with their products too possibly because I should have been able to do this without wiping and reloading, but it wouldn't let me umount /var from a live filesystem and using rescue mode from the optical media didn't work and would probably also apply to flash media too.

It said unable to create in fstab, so I tried to create a mount point for it called /mnt/partition1, but that didn't help. Therefore unless I have to place or create the mount point in fstab with the output of the blkid command what am I doing wrong because I don't feel I should have to do that unless it's a flashdrive or optical media I didn't have connected or in it's drive during boot.

Well I gonna try this anyway but / is an xfs partition, which can't be resized according to the guide I read. Therefore, I guess I won't be resize the partitions. However, it does say that /dev/sda3 is LVM, so maybe I still can resize something to fix this situation.

Well I gonna try this anyway but / is an xfs partition, which can't be resized according to the guide I read. Therefore, I guess I won't be resize the partitions. However, it does say that /dev/sda3 is LVM, so maybe I still can resize something to fix this situation.

Ok I took the output of blkid for /dev/sda3 and used it with what I hope is the appropriate configuration for the fstab file as the following example:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda5
UUID=be35a709-c787-4198-a903-d5fdc80ab2f8 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1

However, do I need the following line at the beginning:

If not it didn't work either way and I used ext4 instead of ext3, but was I supposed to use LVM and if so how because I don't see it in the man page on my Ubuntu machine and rescue mode on the oracle machine says man page not found. The man page in Ubuntu says the following under the -t option for filesystem types:

-t, --types vfstype
The argument following the -t is used to indicate the filesystem
type. The filesystem types which are currently supported
include: adfs, affs, autofs, cifs, coda, coherent, cramfs,
debugfs, devpts, efs, ext, ext2, ext3, ext4, hfs, hfsplus, hpfs,
iso9660, jfs, minix, msdos, ncpfs, nfs, nfs4, ntfs, proc, qnx4,
ramfs, reiserfs, romfs, squashfs, smbfs, sysv, tmpfs, ubifs,
udf, ufs, umsdos, usbfs, vfat, xenix, xfs, xiafs. Note that
coherent, sysv and xenix are equivalent and that xenix and
coherent will be removed at some point in the future — use sysv
instead. Since kernel version 2.1.21 the types ext and xiafs do
not exist anymore. Earlier, usbfs was known as usbdevfs. Note,
the real list of all supported filesystems depends on your ker‐
nel.

Therefore, what can I do or how do I mount LVM partitions and is this what I'm doing wrong.

Ok I took the output of blkid for /dev/sda3 and used it with what I hope is the appropriate configuration for the fstab file as the following example:

#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda5
UUID=be35a709-c787-4198-a903-d5fdc80ab2f8 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1

However, do I need the following line at the beginning:

If not it didn't work either way and I used ext4 instead of ext3, but was I supposed to use LVM and if so how because I don't see it in the man page on my Ubuntu machine and rescue mode on the oracle machine says man page not found. The man page in Ubuntu says the following under the -t option for filesystem types:

-t, --types vfstype
The argument following the -t is used to indicate the filesystem
type. The filesystem types which are currently supported
include: adfs, affs, autofs, cifs, coda, coherent, cramfs,
debugfs, devpts, efs, ext, ext2, ext3, ext4, hfs, hfsplus, hpfs,
iso9660, jfs, minix, msdos, ncpfs, nfs, nfs4, ntfs, proc, qnx4,
ramfs, reiserfs, romfs, squashfs, smbfs, sysv, tmpfs, ubifs,
udf, ufs, umsdos, usbfs, vfat, xenix, xfs, xiafs. Note that
coherent, sysv and xenix are equivalent and that xenix and
coherent will be removed at some point in the future — use sysv
instead. Since kernel version 2.1.21 the types ext and xiafs do
not exist anymore. Earlier, usbfs was known as usbdevfs. Note,
the real list of all supported filesystems depends on your ker‐
nel.

Therefore, what can I do or how do I mount LVM partitions and is this what I'm doing wrong.

I found out I didn't comment the line as follows, like shown though:

However, it didn't help and get the error message off the machine is going to be a pain.

As much as i hate Oracle, having issues when /var/ gets full is not on them, this will put pretty much put any linux in a bad state. There are files that get written to /var, lock files and such, that are essential to the system running correctly. They did not take away your freedom, you just do not know what you are doing. Which is highlighted by the fact that you are screwing around trying to mount fdisk partitions when your earlier output showed that you are using LVMs.

from the resuce disk try

# lvm vgscan -v
# lvm vgchange -y
# lvm lvs -all
(i am going to guess your volume group will be called ol, if not you need to change the ol right after /dev/)
# mount /dev/ol/ol-root /mnt
# mount /dev/ol/ol-var /mnt/var

-clean out /var/cache so you have room to work in if you reboot.
-move everything in /home to some where else on the root lvm (you will have to mount the home lvm to do this too)
-delete the home lvm
-grow the var lvm
-grow the var xfs file system
-(recreate home lvm with what is left, move stuff back) or (leave home as part of the root lvm and just move the stuff that was in /home back to /home)

As much as i hate Oracle, having issues when /var/ gets full is not on them, this will put pretty much put any linux in a bad state. There are files that get written to /var, lock files and such, that are essential to the system running correctly. They did not take away your freedom, you just do not know what you are doing. Which is highlighted by the fact that you are screwing around trying to mount fdisk partitions when your earlier output showed that you are using LVMs.

from the resuce disk try

# lvm vgscan -v
# lvm vgchange -y
# lvm lvs -all
(i am going to guess your volume group will be called ol, if not you need to change the ol right after /dev/)

-move everything in /home to some where else on the root lvm (you will have to mount the home lvm to do this too)
-delete the home lvm
-grow the var lvm
-(recreate home lvm with what is left, move stuff back) or (leave home as part of the root lvm and just move the stuff that was in /home back to /home)

What the heck kinda solution is this? It's like your saying I have delete /home and move all the files in /home to /. Yea I know what I'm doing, but not this advanced because every attempt or time I tried to get help from my instructor when I had this issue while taking classes related to this and anything Linux they suggest what most of you are suggesting, which is no help. Sorry I jumped to conclusion and said Oracle may be taking away freedom though, but my Oracle installation is in an unusable state and I'm never had to do anything like this before or this advanced and who knew resizing partitions could be so complicated or such a painful process compared to Microsoft Windows despite it being worth it for a change of scenery or Operating System to work with that is in my opinion more powerful or more customizeable or at least derives from ones that are or is. I was frustrated when my Instructor said just start over too because I can't avoid having to resize a partition forever and neither can the rest of you and besides it's the least obstructive and you have to learn sometime. I know I do, but you've lost me as to how this works, but go on I'm anxious and excited to see how it works for Linux. However, I don't understand what you mean or how this is accomplished at all. I'm thinking I need a book on resizing partitions for Linux and another book on partitioning for Linux because even though most internet guides are more helpful than Redhat or Oracle and even CentOS documentation on how to do it there is still a lot that they don't explain or seem to explain.

from the resuce disk try

# lvm vgscan -v
# lvm vgchange -y
# lvm lvs -all

-delete the home lvm
-grow the var lvm

Also,

This:

didn't work before /var was completely full, so what makes you think it's going to work now.

I don't where you expect me to move the following parttions files and I can't send you a df -h of them because the service Network Manager start or service Network Manager restart command isn't work at the moment to allow me to connect to the internet:

The following is exactly what I mean be where is the shrink partition option because this is completely unacceptable for a way to resize partition compared to Microsoft Windows if you ask me and I know there is nothing you can do about it, but your asking me to move my files to another partition with free space and delete another to recreate it to resize it. Yea who thought of this because this solution is not acceptable or always going to work:

-delete the home lvm

Ok yea I get you sorta if your saying that after I move all my files from /home to / or another partition with free space this will automatically or manual grow if I use this command or whatever the command is if I'm not mistaken:

-grow the var lvm

Ok this is where we didn't get through to each other because If I'm not mistaken /var was lvm and I stated or tried to state this. Its / thats xfs unless I'm mistaken and this still mean /var is too for some reason:

Ok now that you've kinda confused the heck out me this might actually make sense, but the question is do I have enough room on / and can I create a partition there to do the following by doing "mkdir /homebackup or mkdir /home" and "cp -p /home/*" or something like that if that's not right and going to work:

-(recreate home lvm with what is left, move stuff back) or (leave home as part of the root lvm and just move the stuff that was in /home back to /home)[/QUOTE]

After all this the biggest problem seems to be that Linux can't or shouldn't do this on the fly and how would it because even if it can what programming language would it use to accomplish this if that's the problem because most people say java is slow and that's the only other object oriented programming language I've almost or did go insane programming in besides C++ or at least I hope I didn't go insane from that or anything else.

While you chuck a tantrum, tbg is trying to help you out.

And good on him. Because personally, I've given up helping you out with reactions like the ones above.

Last edited:
XFS does not have the ability to shrink volumes. For what reason, I don't know. It can grow volumes though. So you're going to have do the backup, delete, create, copy back dance like tbg suggested in post #59.

As far as blowing it up and starting over, it's a question about time and effort. We're not suggesting it to belittle you, it's just that it's a new system where the original goal of the thread was to get Libre Office installed. Now, you're fighting your network, are deep into volume management, and it's used a month of your time. We think if you reload and rework the partition scheme it will be a. in a healthy/known state (your network might be flaking out due to /var being full, but who knows for sure now) and b. you can get back to what you were originally wanting to do. and c. your frustration will be alleviated. When you boil it down "We just want you to be happy." :)

If you're up for learning, that's great. However, you can't let if frustrate you. Once you're frustrated, learning goes out the window.

For what it's worth, I encountered this exact same issue earlier this week. A new deployment didn't have my default partition scheme in the kickstart file so it used some defaults with XFS. I looked at salvaging it, but decided that it's far faster to start over with the desired partitioning setup and ext4.

the command is not "service Network Manager start" to start the network.

1. there is no space between network and manager if using NetworkManager.
2. are you sure your box is configured to use NetworkManager? depending on the configuration it may be managed by the "network" service.

the 7.x way
# systemctl start NetworkManager
or

older way
# service NetworkManager start
or
# service network start

disk partitioning, it works like this.

as a basic example lets say you have a single disk, or hardware raid that presents several disks as one to the OS.
/dev/sda
-the disk (/dev/sda) is broken up in to fdisk partitions
-/dev/sda1 (boot)
-/dev/sda1 (efi boot)
-/dev/sda($x) can't tell the number based on your posts but it will be something formated as Linux LVM "fdisk -l" to figure it out
--This Linux LVM fdisk partition will be a physcial volume (PV)
--you can see the PV with a pvdisplay
---on top of this PV a volume group (VG) is created. As a wild guess based on the output you provided yours might be called "ol"
---you can see this with a VG display
----this VG will be carved up in to several logical volumes (LV)
----you can see these LV with a lvdisplay
----looks like you probably have: ol-root ol-var ol-u01 ol-u02 ol-home ol-tmp, and probably ol-swap
-----each of the LV will have some kind of file system on top of them for example ext4, xfs, btrfs
-----in your case xfs.

actually looking at your list again, I would maybe just delete ol-tmp, grow ol-var, grow the /var xfs filesystem and make /tmp a tmpfs filesystem.

as Frobozz said the XFS filesystem is the reason you can't do a shrink. You can thank SGI for taking away your freedoms with not allowing shrinking XFS, that's probably why they went out of business. I personally try to stay away from XFS, while it has a nice list of features i think it is more trouble then its worth.

the command is not "service Network Manager start" to start the network.

2. are you sure your box is configured to use NetworkManager? depending on the configuration it may be managed by the "network" service.

the 7.x way
or

older way
or
# service network start

disk partitioning, it works like this.

as a basic example lets say you have a single disk, or hardware raid that presents several disks as one to the OS.
/dev/sda
-/dev/sda1 (boot)
-/dev/sda1 (efi boot)
-/dev/sda($x) can't tell the number based on your posts but it will be something formated as Linux LVM "fdisk -l" to figure it out
---on top of this PV a volume group (VG) is created. As a wild guess based on the output you provided yours might be called "ol"
----looks like you probably have: ol-root ol-var ol-u01 ol-u02 ol-home ol-tmp, and probably ol-swap
-----each of the LV will have some kind of file system on top of them for example ext4, xfs, btrfs
-----in your case xfs.

actually looking at your list again, I would maybe just delete ol-tmp, grow ol-var, grow the /var xfs filesystem and make /tmp a tmpfs filesystem.

as Frobozz said the XFS filesystem is the reason you can't do a shrink. You can thank SGI for taking away your freedoms with not allowing shrinking XFS, that's probably why they went out of business. I personally try to stay away from XFS, while it has a nice list of features i think it is more trouble then its worth.

Thank you

Yes this is exactly the issue and has left my system completely or almost completely crippled.

the 7.x way
or

The above is probably what I need to do and the following is probably the problem because that how I was doing it and it's the older way, which no longer works for some reason or because /var is full:

older way
or
# service network start

uh not sure what sure what you mean by the following, but go on if I need you to:

/dev/sda
-/dev/sda1 (boot)
-/dev/sda1 (efi boot)
-----in your case xfs.

Ok. Let me check my system and....

1. no need for me to go on about 2 and further explain what needs to be done

2. Job for service.network manager failed because control process exited with error code..

3. df -h suggests that all partition shown are from the live optical disc or DVD because they are all 12G and most are tmpfs, so no help their and as expalined before I'm having issues mounting the system drive. However, system still in rescue console and has been for days.

the mount point for / is /dev/mapper/live-rw, which also suggests it just the live cd and the only other partition is /dev/sr0, which also doesn't help and hints that its the live dvd or optical disc.

4. All partition show up with fdisk -l even physical HD, but as I said before the system system will not let me mount them and / doesn't appear to be showing up except for / from the live dvd or optical disc. It keeps says not mounted or bad option and I'm using the following command:

mount o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/mapper/ol-var /mnt/parttiton 3

and not working at all with output what I said before in this sentence. It says output maybe found in syslog- try dmesg | tail, but to long to remember to much to write down in document even if I need to. Now what can you do or say to help because I seem to be stuck at this point and I'm having difficulty showing you and the others exactly what the output is.

It just couldn't get any worse or maybe it could, but am I actually going to have to resort to purchasing Oracle support or an Oracle Server and if not then what because the OracleVM isn't working or giving me problems because its not starting. If I have to resort to purchasing Oracle Support I might as well use CentOS because there's no way I can afford even 100 dollars for download support or 500 dollars for even just basic and there's no way I can afford premier while paying all my other expenses and 1013 a month to live in my apart where I'm living while I attend the University I'm going to. I paid for download at first with 5.9 and then upgraded to basic, but now they say you can only downgrade and not upgrade, which I don't like. However, there is nothing I can do about how Oracle Linux paid support works and I haven't even gotten to Oracle 12c database yet because I can't get passed the OS installation and normal use, but thanks for everyones help so far.

Last edited:
Thank you

Yes this is exactly the issue and has left my system completely or almost completely crippled.

the 7.x way
or

The above is probably what I need to do and the following is probably the problem because that how I was doing it and it's the older way, which no longer works for some reason or because /var is full:

older way
or
# service network start

uh not sure what sure what you mean by the following, but go on if I need you to:

/dev/sda
-/dev/sda1 (boot)
-/dev/sda1 (efi boot)
-----in your case xfs.

Ok. Let me check my system and....

1. no need for me to go on about 2 and further explain what needs to be done

2. Job for service.network manager failed because control process exited with error code..

3. df -h suggests that all partition shown are from the live optical disc or DVD because they are all 12G and most are tmpfs, so no help their and as expalined before I'm having issues mounting the system drive. However, system still in rescue console and has been for days.

the mount point for / is /dev/mapper/live-rw, which also suggests it just the live cd and the only other partition is /dev/sr0, which also doesn't help and hints that its the live dvd or optical disc.

4. All partition show up with fdisk -l even physical HD, but as I said before the system system will not let me mount them and / doesn't appear to be showing up except for / from the live dvd or optical disc. It keeps says not mounted or bad option and I'm using the following command:

and not working at all with output what I said before in this sentence. It says output maybe found in syslog- try dmesg | tail, but to long to remember to much to write down in document even if I need to. Now what can you do or say to help because I seem to be stuck at this point and I'm having difficulty showing you and the others exactly what the output is.

It just couldn't get any worse or maybe it could, but am I actually going to have to resort to purchasing Oracle support or an Oracle Server and if not then what because the OracleVM isn't working or giving me problems because its not starting. If I have to resort to purchasing Oracle Support I might as well use CentOS because there's no way I can afford even 100 dollars for download support or 500 dollars for even just basic and there's no way I can afford premier while paying all my other expenses and 1013 a month to live in my apart where I'm living while I attend the University I'm going to. I paid for download at first with 5.9 and then upgraded to basic, but now they say you can only downgrade and not upgrade, which I don't like. However, there is nothing I can do about how Oracle Linux paid support works and I haven't even gotten to Oracle 12c database yet because I can't get passed the OS installation and normal use, but thanks for everyones help so far.

I do need to know how to resize partitions though and I can't keep putting it off, but it may not be the answer to my problem anymore and looks less and less like a possibility considering my systems current state. I would go to Oracle's forums but they won't reply or let me post because I don't currently have a ULN or any other License at the moment and I needed to get to the point that I may need to realize this if I have to now. I'll keep the system unchange untill any of you reply with a solution that will help prevent me and teach me how to resolve this without wiping and reloading if it's still possible.

orginal
# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/centos-root 20G 1021M 19G 5% /
devtmpfs 909M 0 909M 0% /dev
tmpfs 920M 0 920M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 920M 8.5M 912M 1% /run
tmpfs 920M 0 920M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda1 976M 133M 777M 15% /boot
/dev/mapper/centos-home 30G 33M 30G 1% /home
/dev/mapper/centos-something 17G 33M 17G 1% /something
/dev/mapper/centos-tmp 4.0G 33M 4.0G 1% /tmp
/dev/mapper/centos-var 4.0G 232M 3.8G 6% /var
tmpfs 184M 0 184M 0% /run/user/0​

# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 85.9 GB, 85899345920 bytes, 167772160 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk label type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x000b1c81

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 2099199 1048576 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 2099200 167766015 82833408 8e Linux LVM

Disk /dev/mapper/live-rw: 2147 MB, 2147483648 bytes, 4194304 sectors

Disk /dev/mapper/live-base: 2147 MB, 2147483648 bytes, 4194304 sectors
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes​

livecd
# df -h
/dev/mapper/live-rw 2.0G 927M 1.1G 47% /
devtmpfs 982M 0 982M 0% /dev
tmpfs 1001M 0 1001M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 1001M 17M 985M 2% /run
tmpfs 1001M 0 1001M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sr0 4.1G 4.1G 0 100% /run/install/repo
tmpfs 1001M 328K 1001M 1% /tmp​

# pvdisply
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name /dev/sda2
VG Name centos
PV Size 79.00 GiB / not usable 4.00 MiB
Allocatable yes
PE Size 4.00 MiB
Total PE 20222
Free PE 1
Allocated PE 20221
PV UUID gGuKjt-qFeB-7EkT-pqaW-zdZa-aSu4-mSUcCn​

# vgdisply
--- Volume group ---
VG Name centos
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 1
Metadata Sequence No 7
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 0
Cur LV 6
Open LV 0
Max PV 0
Cur PV 1
Act PV 1
VG Size 78.99 GiB
PE Size 4.00 MiB
Total PE 20222
Alloc PE / Size 20221 / 78.99 GiB
Free PE / Size 1 / 4.00 MiB
VG UUID H5jO8o-X3L2-Fn27-sDJc-A2oz-BYxo-y6havx​

# lvdisplay
--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/centos/root
LV Name root
VG Name centos
LV UUID OtR1Nk-OR0N-TBgQ-KHGd-snJx-Og2S-Nbg9ed
LV Write Access read/write
LV Creation host, time testbox, 2017-02-12 00:36:21 +0000
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 20.00 GiB
Current LE 5120
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/centos/var
LV Name var
VG Name centos
LV UUID bwyokP-MygJ-rw2O-fI0d-B2R2-oluf-Wuv2Lt
LV Creation host, time testbox, 2017-02-12 00:36:22 +0000
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 4.00 GiB
Current LE 1024
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/centos/tmp
LV Name tmp
VG Name centos
LV UUID DNCcOJ-vBiS-1wZy-tIDm-uICH-pMrR-a6WjJo
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 4.00 GiB
Current LE 1024
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/centos/home
LV Name home
VG Name centos
LV UUID iTPbmR-z9iF-du7u-JN1H-wQOO-pxlc-dbnhB0
LV Creation host, time testbox, 2017-02-12 00:36:23 +0000
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 30.00 GiB
Current LE 7680
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/centos/something
LV Name something
VG Name centos
LV UUID 5r6y42-irLl-vBg5-3kPy-2XdL-E8nH-02mUog
LV Creation host, time testbox, 2017-02-12 00:36:24 +0000
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 16.99 GiB
Current LE 4349
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/centos/swap
LV Name swap
VG Name centos
LV UUID FX5hEj-YrNF-uVdu-PNWA-ptbj-hDTh-ZoPXc8
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 4.00 GiB
Current LE 1024
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
# lvm vgscan -v
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
Found volume group "centos" using metadata type lvm2​

# lvm vgchange -a y
6 logical volume(s) in volume group "centos" now active​

# lvm lvs -a
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
home centos -wi-a----- 30.00g
root centos -wi-a----- 20.00g
something centos -wi-a----- 16.99g
swap centos -wi-a----- 4.00g
tmp centos -wi-a----- 4.00g
var centos -wi-a----- 4.00g​

# mount /dev/centos/root /mnt
# mount /dev/centos/var /mnt/var
# mount /dev/centos/home /mnt/home
# df -h
tmpfs 1001M 356K 1001M 1% /tmp
/dev/mapper/centos-root 20G 1.1G 19G 6% /mnt
/dev/mapper/centos-var 4.0G 148M 3.9G 4% /mnt/var
/dev/mapper/centos-home 30G 33M 30G 1% /mnt/home​

# umount /mnt/var
# lvremove /dev/centos/tmp
# lvresize -l +100%FREE /dev/centos/var > /tmp/lvresize.out
Size of logical volume centos/var changed from 4.00 GiB (1024 extents) to 8.00 GiB (2049 extents).
Logical volume var successfully resized.​

# df -h
tmpfs 1001M 368K 1001M 1% /tmp
/dev/mapper/centos-home 30G 33M 30G 1% /mnt/home
/dev/mapper/centos-var 4.0G 148M 3.9G 4% /mnt/var​

# xfs_growfs /dev/centos/var
meta-data=/dev/mapper/centos-var isize=256 agcount=4, agsize=262144 blks
= sectsz=512 attr=2, projid32bit=1
= crc=0 finobt=0
data = bsize=4096 blocks=1048576, imaxpct=25
= sunit=0 swidth=0 blks
naming =version 2 bsize=4096 ascii-ci=0 ftype=0
log =internal bsize=4096 blocks=2560, version=2
= sectsz=512 sunit=0 blks, lazy-count=1
realtime =none extsz=4096 blocks=0, rtextents=0
data blocks changed from 1048576 to 2098176
# df -h
tmpfs 1001M 376K 1001M 1% /tmp
/dev/mapper/centos-var 8.0G 148M 7.9G 2% /mnt/var​

# vi /mnt/etc/fstab (comment out the tmp line)
/dev/mapper/centos-root / xfs defaults 0 0
UUID=2c09f597-f2b9-4a8f-baa6-56c85d8f782b /boot ext4 defaults 1 2
/dev/mapper/centos-home /home xfs defaults 0 0
/dev/mapper/centos-something /something xfs defaults 0 0
#/dev/mapper/centos-tmp /tmp xfs defaults 0 0
/dev/mapper/centos-var /var xfs defaults 0 0
/dev/mapper/centos-swap swap swap defaults 0 0​

# reboot

# df -h
/dev/mapper/centos-root 20G 1.1G 19G 6% /
tmpfs 920M 8.6M 912M 1% /run
/dev/sda1 976M 151M 759M 17% /boot
/dev/mapper/centos-var 8.0G 148M 7.9G 2% /var

I did not capture every commands output but thats pretty much how it works.

orginal
# df -h

# fdisk -l

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes​

livecd
# df -h
tmpfs 1001M 328K 1001M 1% /tmp​

# pvdisply
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name /dev/sda2
VG Name centos
Allocatable yes
PE Size 4.00 MiB
Total PE 20222
Free PE 1
Allocated PE 20221
PV UUID gGuKjt-qFeB-7EkT-pqaW-zdZa-aSu4-mSUcCn​

# vgdisply
--- Volume group ---
VG Name centos
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 1
Metadata Sequence No 7
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 0
Cur LV 6
Open LV 0
Max PV 0
Cur PV 1
Act PV 1
VG Size 78.99 GiB
PE Size 4.00 MiB
Total PE 20222
VG UUID H5jO8o-X3L2-Fn27-sDJc-A2oz-BYxo-y6havx​

# lvdisplay
--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/centos/root
LV Name root
VG Name centos
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 20.00 GiB
Current LE 5120
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/centos/var
LV Name var
VG Name centos
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 4.00 GiB
Current LE 1024
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/centos/tmp
LV Name tmp
VG Name centos
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 4.00 GiB
Current LE 1024
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/centos/home
LV Name home
VG Name centos
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 30.00 GiB
Current LE 7680
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto

--- Logical volume ---
LV Name something
VG Name centos
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 16.99 GiB
Current LE 4349
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/centos/swap
LV Name swap
VG Name centos
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 4.00 GiB
Current LE 1024
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
# lvm vgscan -v
Found volume group "centos" using metadata type lvm2​

# lvm vgchange -a y
6 logical volume(s) in volume group "centos" now active​

# lvm lvs -a
var centos -wi-a----- 4.00g​

# df -h
/dev/mapper/centos-home 30G 33M 30G 1% /mnt/home​

# umount /mnt/var
Size of logical volume centos/var changed from 4.00 GiB (1024 extents) to 8.00 GiB (2049 extents).
Logical volume var successfully resized.​

# df -h
/dev/mapper/centos-var 4.0G 148M 3.9G 4% /mnt/var​

= crc=0 finobt=0
= sunit=0 swidth=0 blks
# df -h
/dev/mapper/centos-var 8.0G 148M 7.9G 2% /mnt/var​

/dev/mapper/centos-swap swap swap defaults 0 0​

# reboot

# df -h

I did not capture every commands output but thats pretty much how it works.

Thanks, but don't I need to be able to mount the partitions to be able to make any of this with the following information work and I can't get past that part right now for some reason and nobody has addressed how yet because I pointed out what I did. Also, what idid to mount is typical how I always mount except I change file system types or mount points if necessary as well as mount sources:

/dev/sda
-/dev/sda1 (boot)
-/dev/sda1 (efi boot)
-----in your case xfs.

Last edited:
I showed you how to mount them, if you can't do it at this point maybe you arn't cut out for this stuff. I'm starting to think it might be unethical to try help you. What if you some how pass your class, and manage to get a job? What happens to the poor bastards that are stuck working with you?

Going back to this or coming back to this and hoping this is not going to be considered thread neckroing. It is possible to get RAID card drivers installed in Linux and yes I understand the limitation of using a hardware or what you guys say is a software RAID card because it requires drivers can become a problem if the card fails due to have issues replacing it with the right one or a compatible one. However I just couldn't figure out where it wanted me to put the file or driver on the flash drive so it could automatically find it or read it because that's what it wouldn't do and it was and still is frustrating that I haven't resolved that so I can use my 4U server instead of my test server or desktop with a mobile rack and removable drive carrier. Therefore, this issue has only been temporary resolved with the the use of the test system, although if it would have helped in anyway maybe I should have test it on the test system first even if I can't actually test the RAID on that System. I do know though that that is how it used to be done before rolling out to a live system and it may help test other things to be prepare for the worst.

However, you guys have probably helped as much as you can with this problem and might not be able to help anymore considering the current state of the Oracle test system, which seems to be crippled or completely crippled because /var is full and might be hosed permanently. Unless I can figure out why I can't mount any physical partitions from that actual system that show up from the fdisk -l command and not the live optical disc. I may need to purchase Oracle Support to proceed any further or backup my files and wipe the system to start over because it's probably unrecoverable at this point unless I can get the partitions to mount and delete the ones I don't need to mount. I can probably still resize, since /var shows up with the fdisk -l command in rescue mode, so I'll try that and keep you posted.

I showed you how to mount them, if you can't do it at this point maybe you arn't cut out for this stuff. I'm starting to think it might be unethical to try help you. What if you some how pass your class, and manage to get a job? What happens to the poor bastards that are stuck working with you?

Ha I passed the class along time ago using Oracle Linux 5.9 and the problem isn't that I'm not cut out for this stuff it's that I either don't understand the changes or can't figure then out and not having Oracle Support may be a problem too, since I had to rely on it when I used Oracle Linux 5.9. I feel sorry for anyone that has to work with some of you except you tbg because most of you either don't know or weren't willing to help me use, find or discover the least obstructive way to fix my system and if you can't do that how do you expect even expect not have major issues or data loss when the system goes down, but never the less thanks for everyones help though because if you do know more than me or are better at it you have a hell of a way of showing it. I finally found my research Oracle 12c and Oracle Linux 7 too, but the guides are non-official Oracle and seem misleading or spam or malicious take your pick and I that's just for 12c, which I haven't compared to my 11g install to see what change so I know what I can keep and what I have to revise. Apparently I'm not taking the right approach now that I think about it although I did at least try to write instructions or revise the ones I had from Oracle Linux 5.9 and 11g with what I read from the books from Oracle Press on Installlation only and not everything in those books, which definitely wasn't very help and I had a pretty detailed installation with Oracle Linux 5.9 and DB 11g too. However, I just revised previous instructions for the Oracle Linux 5.9 from my CentOS 5.9 and 6.x and up because that's all I needed to do and it worked.

Now, I've done my research and did you guys a favor at the same time if that's even possible because I have yet to look and see if the CentOS 7 Documentation Wiki I printed actually talks about resizing partitions and if it does if it's actually helpful, but it has a lot better chance than some malicious website that I've probably gone to while looking up how to resize a partition or stuff in the past. Thanks guys hopefully now that I remember how I did it in Oracle Architecture and Administration I be able to figure out how to revise all this and make it work again. However, I may still need to pay for Oracle DB 12c and Oracle Linux Release 7 Update 2 support.

I see how you showed how to mount them, but don't know how my way wrong because you didn't explain that and I've been mounting a drive for almost forever, since I've started using Linux and been using Linux that way and don't see what's wrong with it other that the path or mount point.

Explain to me how the following is either wrong or not going to work if I was using it properly:

mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/mapper/ol-var /mnt/parttiton 3

Last edited:
The issue is people try to help you, they offer oodles of advice and you pretty much ignore all that advice and keep going on your own, separate little tangent - Effectively completely ignoring help that's literally right in front of your face?!

tbg offered you a solution, follow it step by step exactly as it's written and see how you go.

I see how you showed how to mount them, but don't know how my way wrong because you didn't explain that and I've been mounting a drive for almost forever, since I've started using Linux and been using Linux that way and don't see what's wrong with it other that the path or mount point.

Explain to me how the following is either wrong or not going to work if I was using it properly:

why it is wrong? it is -o for options not "o", also if you are booting from the rescue disk then its not already mounted so you are not remounting it, and it will mount it rw on its own so none of those options are even needed. earlier you mentioned xfs so why are you using ext4 for the filesystem type, that is what the -t stands for, do you know for a fact that you chose ext4 when you installed it, because redhat/centos and probably ol all default to xfs as of 7x unless you tell it otherwise. I don't use the -t unless it fails saying it does not know the type, mount does a pretty good job of guessing. I don't know why you have the 3 there, it is not needed.

the whole command looks like something someone just copied with out understanding what any of it actually means.

<snip> I feel sorry for anyone that has to work with some of you except you tbg because most of you either don't know or weren't willing to help me use, find or discover the least obstructive way to fix my system and if you can't do that how do you expect even expect not have major issues or data loss when the system goes down, but never the less thanks for everyones help though because if you do know more than me or are better at it you have a hell of a way of showing it.<snip>

I'm out. Best of luck.

why it is wrong? it is -o for options not "o", also if you are booting from the rescue disk then its not already mounted so you are not remounting it, and it will mount it rw on its own so none of those options are even needed. earlier you mentioned xfs so why are you using ext4 for the filesystem type, that is what the -t stands for, do you know for a fact that you chose ext4 when you installed it, because redhat/centos and probably ol all default to xfs as of 7x unless you tell it otherwise. I don't use the -t unless it fails saying it does not know the type, mount does a pretty good job of guessing. I don't know why you have the 3 there, it is not needed.

the whole command looks like something someone just copied with out understanding what any of it actually means.

Sorry tbg I made a typo when typing it in from memory in the reply to your reply to my thread because I use -o and not just o. I'm trying to mount /var not root and /var says it LVM or LVM2 and I don't see that option in the man page, so how do you mount a partitions using that filesystem if it's different then / that seems to claim it's xfs. i do see that xfs is an option in the mount command man page though. I tried xfs instead of ext4 and it still won't mount. Now what I serious starting to have doubt that this system can be saved, but let me just try to resize partitions anyway because /var.

Last edited:
Nevermind, because I'm looking that the print out of this thread and it doesn't look like it mentions anything about what the commands are to do it and tbg although I'm greatfull for you help when I look at the print out alll I see is your descriptions of what to do and how you told me to goggle how, which I did do that and printed it, so I could look at it. However I don't trust those guides. I'm going to look at what I printed and see if that helps.

Nevermind, because I'm looking that the print out of this thread and it doesn't look like it mentions anything about what the commands are to do it and tbg although I'm greatfull for you help when I look at the print out alll I see is your descriptions of what to do and how you told me to goggle how, which I did do that and printed it, so I could look at it. However I don't trust those guides. I'm going to look at what I printed and see if that helps.

Also, I'm seeing that for Ubuntu in another problem on here that GParted is used to resize partitions from the live Ubuntu or another distro containing it.

you do not see LVM in the mount command because LVM is not a file system, you have a file system on top of the LVM, which i already tried to explain but you did not bother to read. you do need to import the LVMs if using the rescue cd before you try to mount those filesystems. and my walk-through i showed you how to do this all, the only difference is your volume group is probably ol not centos.

post #67 is all commands/outputs, of me growing /var in a test vm exactly like we told you to do it. everything after the # is a command, the stuff indented under it is the output.
did you read it? you don't know these commands? this is clearly beyond your abilities even when someone hands you an exact recipe of how to do it.

you do not see LVM in the mount command because LVM is not a file system, you have a file system on top of the LVM, which i already tried to explain but you did not bother to read. you do need to import the LVMs if using the rescue cd before you try to mount those filesystems. and my walk-through i showed you how to do this all, the only difference is your volume group is probably ol not centos.

post #67 is all commands/outputs, of me growing /var in a test vm exactly like we told you to do it. everything after the # is a command, the stuff indented under it is the output.
did you read it? you don't know these commands? this is clearly beyond your abilities even when someone hands you an exact recipe of how to do it.

I see that you show it here:

"orginal
# df -h
tmpfs 184M 0 184M 0% /run/user/0

# fdisk -l

livecd
# df -h
tmpfs 1001M 328K 1001M 1% /tmp

# pvdisply
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name /dev/sda2
VG Name centos
Allocatable yes
PE Size 4.00 MiB
Total PE 20222
Free PE 1
Allocated PE 20221
PV UUID gGuKjt-qFeB-7EkT-pqaW-zdZa-aSu4-mSUcCn

# vgdisply
--- Volume group ---
VG Name centos
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 1
Metadata Sequence No 7
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 0
Cur LV 6
Open LV 0
Max PV 0
Cur PV 1
Act PV 1
VG Size 78.99 GiB
PE Size 4.00 MiB
Total PE 20222
VG UUID H5jO8o-X3L2-Fn27-sDJc-A2oz-BYxo-y6havx

# lvdisplay
--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/centos/root
LV Name root
VG Name centos
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 20.00 GiB
Current LE 5120
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/centos/var
LV Name var
VG Name centos
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 4.00 GiB
Current LE 1024
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/centos/tmp
LV Name tmp
VG Name centos
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 4.00 GiB
Current LE 1024
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/centos/home
LV Name home
VG Name centos
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 30.00 GiB
Current LE 7680
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto

--- Logical volume ---
LV Name something
VG Name centos
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 16.99 GiB
Current LE 4349
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/centos/swap
LV Name swap
VG Name centos
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 4.00 GiB
Current LE 1024
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
# lvm vgscan -v
Found volume group "centos" using metadata type lvm2

# lvm vgchange -a y
6 logical volume(s) in volume group "centos" now active

# lvm lvs -a
var centos -wi-a----- 4.00g

# df -h

# umount /mnt/var
Logical volume var successfully resized.

# df -h

= crc=0 finobt=0
= sunit=0 swidth=0 blks
# df -h
/dev/mapper/centos-var 8.0G 148M 7.9G 2% /mnt/var

/dev/mapper/centos-swap swap swap defaults 0 0

# reboot

# df -h
tmpfs 184M 0 184M 0% /run/user/0

I did not capture every commands output but that's pretty much how it works."

I see that you want me to remove or delete /tmp and maybe that's alright, but is that the only because I don't really need it, but isn't their a way I could resize /home though because it has freepsce to skink, but no free space if expanding before shinkkng.

I tried to use: resize2fs /dev//ol/home 99.61

However, the system said:

Couldn't find valid filesystem Superblock.

Back