How to install LibreOffice in Oracle Linux Release 7 Update 2

the very first line of "man resize2fs" says "The resize2fs program will resize ext2, ext3, or ext4 file systems.". if you used xfs why do you think that would work? but please go ahead just keep running commands you find in google with out knowing what they do or how they even apply to your system.

I realize you want me to delete or remove /tmp though and not resize /home, but isn't /tmp the one I can purge like this "> /tmp"

and

here's how you wanted me to remove ir or delete /tmp:

lvremove /dev/ol/tmp

and then resize /var as follows:

lvresize -l +100%FREE /dev/ol/var > /tmp/ol/lvresize.out

However, what does this part: +100%FREE /dev/ol/var do

and for a moment there when writing this it seemed as though this part:

> /tmp/ol/lvresize.out

would redirect into the lvresize command file, but that's not the case because of the file name:

lvresize.out

and .out is very commonly used in redirection when you want to mean output or whatever for whatever reason, so although I don't really have a reason for not doing this I was hope I could just resize the bigger home partition and shrink it, but it's not work for whatever reason. is there anyway I can save /tmp, so I can still keep it a separate partition. I was falling asleep when I was writing the previous reply to and couldn't think to write this, so here it is. Can you help. This is the only thing I can possibly do to fix my system at this point according to what you said, but can I save /tmp and still manage to give /var more space like 20GB as you specified in an earlier reply tbg or is this the only way.

Last edited:
The guide I found when googling as you suggest tbg said to do

umount /dev/centos/var

which translates into

umount /dev/ol/var

and then do:

e2fsck -fy /dev/centos/var

which translates into

e2fsck -fy /dev/ol/var

However, it did work anyway and I can't look at the error code because I did that way before I tried your way tbg.

I showed you how to mount them, if you can't do it at this point maybe you arn't cut out for this stuff. I'm starting to think it might be unethical to try help you. What if you some how pass your class, and manage to get a job? What happens to the poor bastards that are stuck working with you?

Sorry if you feel it might be unethical to help me and I don't know why you would think that other than it's very difficult to help me with an Operating System or Distribution of Linux one practically has to pay for support to be able to do anything. The thing is that say I do need to pay for support and get ULN License again. I still face one problem you address clearly if not anyone else helping or has helped and that is that /var is full, which has pretty much crippled my system. I only have maybe two choices, because clearing cache didn't work and is no longer an option, which those choices are either resize the partitions that are possible to resize or wipe and reload. If there is any other way any of you can teach me how to save my system least obstructively you have not told me and I probably haven't done it before or else I might be able to think of it.

Thanks for all your help and yes this is frustrating especially, since I should probably tell you you're dealing with a 100% psychologically disabled or whatever veteran that doesn't want to explain any more about their diagnosed disability because it's kinda embarrassing and hard to deal with while trying to get by and not something I like to admit to people because they don't feel I'm capable of doing anything. I made it this far though and yes I do need help because my mind struggles to focus and comprehend or whatever if not anything else. What makes it even harder is when everyone physically around you comes up with every excuse in the book as to why the can't help you in addition to telling you can't do it.

I maintain a lot of computers for myself and some of my family too and the most frustrating this is that they expect me to do almost everything for them on top of that except remodel their house or fix their car and maybe more than that, but they interrupt me as I try to maintain these system with some mundane task or choir they should be able to do themselves or they undermine me and what I'm doing because they think there is only one way to do something or it has to be done their way and nothing else.

None of them have as much appreciation for UNIX or Linux as I do either and didn't like when I chose a Mac Pro as my Parents new computer except my third oldest sister who suggest, but didn't like that I chose the Mac Pro because she was like they don't need a super computer. However, there are so many reason I chose that especially since it's easier to get part for it and change it, since it's the closest thing Apple offers to a normal desktop computer, since the iMac and Mac mini's parts are so much like a Laptop parts and laptop are a pain to fix compared to a desktop considering you have to take apart so much to be able to get to what you need to replace or upgrade in the first place.

When I even mention Linux to my Dad and how I need a UNIX/Linux system to do some or most of the commands it has and run my journal script to document things he just goes on and on about how most of the World use Microsoft Windows and nobody uses Linux, but you know what I'm not the only one who uses Linux on the desktop and there are more people out there who at least dual or multi-boot to experiment or use Linux to help them resolve their computer problems and yes it is used more on servers. Also, yes Microsoft may be implementing Linux into Windows Server 2016, but Microsoft had SUA(Subsystems for Unix-based applications) in Server 2008 if not 2012 and did it help "I don't know" and don't know if incorporating Linux into Windows is going to help either.

This is considering Microsoft barrows just about every idea or steals it from other products to try and save their product or Operating System from discontinuation. Also, that when Bill Gates and Paul Allen approach IBM with MS-DOS or whatever in their beginning in oposition to Gary Killdalls PC-DOS they were said to have stated that theirs would be the only Operating System in the first place. Maybe MS-DOS or WIndows if you want to call it that now has come along way and is easy to use, but in it's current state without Linux or True UNIX capabilities in it the commands that can be added to give it this functionality are not the same and are no where near as easy or as good to use as just using Linux or UNIX. That's taking into consideration that there are some versions of BSD and Linux that have not caught on and are not as good or easy to use as Windows anyway.

However, PC-BSD seemed kinda restrictive anyway unless you know how to work the command line to get around this and FreeBSD is best for learning Computer Science anyway and maybe Open BSD is too. As for Linux CentOS might be best for learning Computer Science too and is especially helpful for learning Redhat on a budget or in general, but then again so can Fedora if you prefer and these are just some of the problems I'm dealing with to give my family computers to work with.

I've had to consider if my parents even need a server too, like I do because I need to practice server stuff if I'm ever going to get a job in IT at all and I've chosen not to give them one because if something happens to me they would have the knowledge, patience, or time to maintain it and probably wouldn't care either. I chose only to give them home networking equipment to deal with too because the last thing they need is complex CIsco enterprise equipment to deal with, so I gave them Linksys and I'm thinking of switching them to Cisco small business because it supports content filtering and port filtering to as welll as other more advance routing and firewall features if not switching.

One last thing I need to say is that I tried when I did my report on Oracle Linux to trick CentOS into thinking it was Redhat to install Oracle DB 11g to it and it didn't work because it doesn't have the ULN license registration feature and if if is possible to get it to work in CentOS I couldn't make it work, so My Adviser and Instructor from UNIX/Linux and not the Oracle Classes I was taking at the time suggest just using Oracle Linux and that is why I'm trying to use it and not CentOS. Especially, since Oracle Linux has true transaction processing that is easier or can be easily done compared to MySQL or other DB solutions except Microsoft SQL, which I'm not using because I wasn't taught to use it considering that when I took Microsoft they said most business have someone to do in house DB administration and don't need someone to do it and that they had no one to teach it, so they had us substitute it. Therefore, I never saw the Microsoft side of DBA except with Access, which I used in my Data Modeling and Database Design class, which is about all I'll say at this point.

Last edited:
the very first line of "man resize2fs" says "The resize2fs program will resize ext2, ext3, or ext4 file systems.". if you used xfs why do you think that would work? but please go ahead just keep running commands you find in google with out knowing what they do or how they even apply to your system.

Sorry tbg and this is why I can't trust random website on the internet from google search either because they don't explain what I'm actually doing with the commands or I'm not reading it carefully enough and just skimming to try and find the answer fast. What do you recommend tbg because your commands maybe right, but there not working it I try to resize /home instead and I know that not what you want me to do anyway, but what will happen to /tmp if I remove it or delete it. Will /tmp become part of / if remove it like your saying. Seriously I've resized a partition in Linux before and this makes sense for command line use and is the only way I can do it with Oracle Linux or Redhat that I know of and what you showed me too. Anyway I guess I should just do it your way even though it's not going to get me 20GB for var though, but I'm waiting for your replay to this first and sorry about the long reply before, but those are in response to all the people who do not see the need to use Linux and maybe some other things.

Last edited:
and for a moment there when writing this it seemed as though this part:

> /tmp/ol/lvresize.out

would redirect into the lvresize command file, but that's not the case because of the file name:

lvresize.out

and .out is very commonly used in redirection when you want to mean output or whatever for whatever reason, so although I don't really have a reason for not doing this I was hope I could just resize the bigger home partition and shrink it, but it's not work for whatever reason. is there anyway I can save /tmp, so I can still keep it a separate partition. I was falling asleep when I was writing the previous reply to and couldn't think to write this, so here it is. Can you help. This is the only thing I can possibly do to fix my system at this point according to what you said, but can I save /tmp and still manage to give /var more space like 20GB as you specified in an earlier reply tbg or is this the only way.

the "> /tmp/ol/lvresize.out" is not needed, I accidentally left that in. that is how i captured the output of the command since i was running it on the console and had no way to copy/paste the output. it wont hurt if its there, but it is not needed.

If you are to scared to resize mount var and remove everything under /mnt/var/cache/yum/ with an rm -rf

Last edited:
first line of man e2fsck "e2fsck is used to check the ext2/ext3/ext4 family of file systems." why are you running it if you said you are using xfs?

If you want to take some of /home to grow /var you can do that. HOWEVER as we already went over this, if you are using XFS then you have to delete and recreate home smaller, which means moving around files. There is no shrinking of XFS filesystems only growing. this has already been explained.

if you delete the tmp lvm. then everything that goes in to /tmp will use the / filesytems space, you have a 620G / according to the df on the first page, i would not worry about this. If you are worried about /tmp eating up all your / filesystem then install something like tmpwatch or tmpreaper, or make /tmp out of tmpfs if you have a lot of ram. the reason i suggested deleting the tmp lvm is because it will be the least painful/least impact, nothing in /tmp should mater if you delete it so you wont be trashing anything you need. it will give you 8 gigs of /var which should be good.

if you want to fix this system with out messing with the partition resizing, here is a sloppy work around.
1. boot from live cd
2. activate the lvms
3. mount /var
4. remove the /mnt/var/cache dir
5. reboot the system
6 make a dir called /home/cache link it to /var/cache
but like i said, thats a sloppy work around, i wouldn't go that route unless i had no other choice.

If you study performance tests and overall stability, Ext4 is pretty much a winner on all aspects. The more exotic filesystems may beat it in some benchmarks but I've found them to be more trouble than worth.

If you chose ext4 over xfs your work would be done by now.

first line of man e2fsck "e2fsck is used to check the ext2/ext3/ext4 family of file systems." why are you running it if you said you are using xfs?

Good point. I don't have a clue and don't know why I didn't think of it.

If you want to take some of /home to grow /var you can do that. HOWEVER as we already went over this, if you are using XFS then you have to delete and recreate home smaller, which means moving around files. There is no shrinking of XFS filesystems only growing. this has already been explained.

if you delete the tmp lvm. then everything that goes in to /tmp will use the / filesytems space, you have a 620G / according to the df on the first page, i would not worry about this. If you are worried about /tmp eating up all your / filesystem then install something like tmpwatch or tmpreaper, or make /tmp out of tmpfs if you have a lot of ram. the reason i suggested deleting the tmp lvm is because it will be the least painful/least impact, nothing in /tmp should mater if you delete it so you wont be trashing anything you need. it will give you 8 gigs of /var which should be good.

if you want to fix this system with out messing with the partition resizing, here is a sloppy work around.
1. boot from live cd
2. activate the lvms
3. mount /var
4. remove the /mnt/var/cache dir
5. reboot the system
6 make a dir called /home/cache link it to /var/cache
but like i said, thats a sloppy work around, i wouldn't go that route unless i had no other choice.

Thanks tbg. I only asked why I couldn't resize /home because it has more space to work with and considering you said I might need about 20G for /var anyway. I don't know why I was worried about /tmp because I didn't know what it really did anyway until maybe now and lost my research or reference on it somehow, but now that you pointed it out yes I can kinda worried about /tmp eating up all of / because I didn't know what would keep it from doing that before you stated it here. However, if /tmp inside / starts eating up to much space I can still purge it right if I do it correctly. I kinda realized you suggested deleting /tmp though because it would be the least painful and/or impactive too, but is 8G going to be enough and if not I need to consider finding a way to give more to it. However, you do say that 8G to /var should be good. After all this I found I actually need a book that explains Linux partitioning because the internet is full of junk that I have to filter though and may not answer my question. Also, after all this I finally came to the realization that I need to print and read the entire CentOS if not Fedora Documention considering if Fedora is even close enough to being like Redhat or Oracle Linux anyway. I'm also going to print the entire Ubuntu 14.4.3 and eventually 16.4 sometime so I can be prepared for any disaster with my laptop or any other Ubuntu or Linuxmint Debian System I have considering Ubuntu and at least Linuxmint Debian are a lot alike and usually solutions for one should work on both if not on straight Linuxmint too.

like i said 8gigs is the min i would go, if you get the box up with 8gb of /var then you can deal with deleting and recreating home later with out the rescue cd adding another layer of crap to deal with.

at this point your box has been down for over a month, so either go for fixing it or just reinstall. in its current state its not doing you any good.

and if you do reinstall choose ext4 instead of xfs

If you study performance tests and overall stability, Ext4 is pretty much a winner on all aspects. The more exotic filesystems may beat it in some benchmarks but I've found them to be more trouble than worth.

If you chose ext4 over xfs your work would be done by now.

I tried to, but blindly thought that it was making all of the ext4 or making then ext4, which paying much attention to if my selection actually was being applied.

like i said 8gigs is the min i would go, if you get the box up with 8gb of /var then you can deal with deleting and recreating home later with out the rescue cd adding another layer of crap to deal with.

at this point your box has been down for over a month, so either go for fixing it or just reinstall. in its current state its not doing you any good.

Thank you the point of this is has become to learn to resize partitions and to be able to hopefully move on to being able to Registering the ULN License with the ULN verifying as well as the main point of this thread which is to get LibreOffice installed in Oracle Linux, which hopefully I don't get warned or anything for a thread violation or something like that considering I probably should have started a new thread for how to resize a Linux partition in Oracle Linux.

This hopeless I unmount var and home. Delete home because couldn't get back into the GUI after rebooting to it and it wouldn't let me in to backup home. Then after deleting home to recreate it and then grow var with the 20G or space left over I couldn't because it either kept wanting to allocate 720GiB or 45GiB and I tried entering 96000M thinking it wanted in thousands of Megabyte and 96000000 just for the heck of it, since 96000M only ended up being 45M and it kept say at first that it was 720GiB or 45GiB and pissed me off. Then after I did get it create and ran partprobe it partprobe didn't work. Therefore, then I tried blkid to get the UUID to put into /etc/fstab and there was nothing in fstab, so I tried mount the physical root parttion by using the mount /dev/ol/root /mnt/root after using the mkdir /mnt/root command and root wouldn't mount. What the heck did Oracle or Redhat change in just these distros or including CentOS or what is different about loading to rescue mode with these new OSes that I don't know or remember and need to look in the CentOS 7 documentation for?

i don't know why you were messing with partprobe, wasn't needed. don't know why you thought you could add anything to the /etc/fstab when booted from the rescue cd, that wont be your real fstab. i had shown you how to get to your fstab, and you weren't going to need to add var since you were just growing it. Seems to me like you just decided to go run a bunch of commands and make up your own procedure. why do you even ask for help if you are just going run random stuff.

LVMs and filesystems work the same on all the linux, There is no oracle magic, its all on you going and running your random commands ignoring any advice given after you ask for help.

This hopeless I unmount var and home. Delete home because couldn't get back into the GUI after rebooting to it and it wouldn't let me in to backup home. Then after deleting home to recreate it and then grow var with the 20G or space left over I couldn't because it either kept wanting to allocate 720GiB or 45GiB and I tried entering 96000M thinking it wanted in thousands of Megabyte and 96000000 just for the heck of it, since 96000M only ended up being 45M and it kept say at first that it was 720GiB or 45GiB and pissed me off. Then after I did get it create and ran partprobe it partprobe didn't work. Therefore, then I tried blkid to get the UUID to put into /etc/fstab and there was nothing in fstab, so I tried mount the physical root parttion by using the mount /dev/ol/root /mnt/root after using the mkdir /mnt/root command and root wouldn't mount. What the heck did Oracle or Redhat change in just these distros or including CentOS or what is different about loading to rescue mode with these new OSes that I don't know or remember and need to look in the CentOS 7 documentation for?

What you should do is to format/remove all partitions of your entire hard drive. Take a breath and start from beginning. You have followed the wrong instructions, try another set.

i don't know why you were messing with partprobe, wasn't needed. don't know why you thought you could add anything to the /etc/fstab when booted from the rescue cd, that wont be your real fstab. i had shown you how to get to your fstab, and you weren't going to need to add var since you were just growing it. Seems to me like you just decided to go run a bunch of commands and make up your own procedure. why do you even ask for help if you are just going run random stuff.

LVMs and filesystems work the same on all the linux, There is no oracle magic, its all on you going and running your random commands ignoring any advice given after you ask for help.

Yes and my biggest problem other than this is that it seems to be Redhat 7 based and I don't seem to understand the changes.

What you should do is to format/remove all partitions of your entire hard drive. Take a breath and start from beginning. You have followed the wrong instructions, try another set.

That's what it looks like I'm going to have to do now. I didn't try to do random commands either because I printed out this post and did everything I was supposed except I was unsure about what /home was after removal, so I guessed /dev/sda3 and shouldn't have.

I tried to remove /tmp and resize /var anyway, but I got to the part where I mount /var and it said the following:

mount: special device /var/ol/var doesn't exist

uh now what?

That's it I think I'm done with Oracle because I wiped and reloaded, since it wouldn't let me mount /var after resizing it to grow it. However, once I put my passphrase in the system it said the following:

systemd[1]: Failed to insert module 'autofs4'

Initial Setup of Oracle Linux 7.2

1) (!) License Information

License not accepted

Please make your choice from [ '1' to enter the licence information spoke | 'q' to quit | 'c' to continue | 'r' to refresh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So unless the only thing I can do here is enter the license information I'm done with Oracle if my system is somehow unusable, but if I can enter the license information then I guess I better obtain it and do it. Therefore, if all I need to do is enter the licence information then thanks for everyone's help because this is as far as I can get with Oracle Linux until I do so, which in that case I better get to moving on to CentOS in the mean time until I can afford an Oracle license.

That's what it looks like I'm going to have to do now. I didn't try to do random commands either because I printed out this post and did everything I was supposed except I was unsure about what /home was after removal, so I guessed /dev/sda3 and shouldn't have.
well that shows you still do not understand what LVMs are.

I tried to remove /tmp and resize /var anyway, but I got to the part where I mount /var and it said the following:

mount: special device /var/ol/var doesn't exist

uh now what?

"/var/ol/var" sounds like you typed the wrong device name

well that shows you still do not understand what LVMs are.

Yea maybe, but it's to late to figure that out now because I already wiped and reload. Thanks for you help though because you helped clarify the process of resizing partition in Redhat distro's really well. However, the process of doing so proved to be to complicated for me to figure out without messing up my system even more or to fix my system, so I just wiped and reload after all and now it seems as though I need a ULN license anyway to even get anywhere with this distro now. Therefore, thanks for your help and I guess I won't be replying to this thread any further and if I have any more questions or problems it will be with CentOS once I get a new drive for it's drive carrier, which I know doesn't sound necessary. However, I'm not giving up on Oracle Linux, but instead I'm going to put it aside and focus on using CentOS on a different drive in a different drive carrier, so I can come back to this later as it is.

Back