How to get Wireless Transfter in Windows 7 faster than 1.0mbps?

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
I was wondering if anyone knows how to get wireless network transfer speeds on windows 7 to go faster than 1.0 mbps. I have wireless N on one computer and wireless G on the laptop. so i am limited by 54mbps theoretically, but i still think it should be faster than 1.0mbps, that is straight garbage. I thought wireless was suppose to be faster than that.

if you're getting 1mbt then something is up for sure. What kind of router is it? any special firmware? Do both PC's get shitty transfer rates? What are the makes and models of their wireless adapters?

There's about eleventy-billion things it could be. Need to narrow it down a bit :)

How far are you from your AP? Wireless transfer rates drop extremely quickly with distance/obstructions (even wood + air obstruct to a certain amount).

got cordless phones around?
microwave used often?
lots of power cables around

also check your wireless settings, you can usually choose the rate to be set to auto it may be manually set to 1mbps

how is the signal stregth, windows 7 should tell you the speed it is connected at.

it all depends on where you are reading "1mb/sec" from. if this is an internet download or if this is a PC to PC transfer, or if windows is saying 'you are connected at 1mbit'- they mean completely different things. which one is it?

I think I may have figured it out. I had to change the security to wpa2-psk (aes). for some reason the wpa-psk (tkip) was limiting me to 54 mbps. Now it is showing 270 mbps

I think I may have figured it out. I had to change the security to wpa2-psk (aes). for some reason the wpa-psk (tkip) was limiting me to 54 mbps. Now it is showing 270 mbps

If I recall correctly, the Wireless N standard will only work with AES security and not TKIP.

does that mean if you use WPA2(AES) it will run faster ? What about WPA2 mixed ?

Well WPA2 mixed will auto adjust to what the wireless card can do and if the wireless card is probably made in the last 3 years, it will do WPA2 AES.

Its been a while since I messed with wireless, but from what I remember, 802.11n was built to much securer than B or G. This is done with AES security . To be 802.11n compliant, I believe AES is a must. AES doesn't make it faster, just 802.11n compliant. I could be totally wrong about this too, but I believe I am correct.

Back