• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How to disable nVidia auto-detect...

TeK-FX

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jul 16, 2005
Messages
510
I am looking to find out a way to keep a video card from using its auto-detect to determine when a screen is hooked up to it. I do computer work for a small diner here in my town and they asked me to setup a digital display. No problem there, I just built a mini custom PC and added a 9500GT PCIe. We are only running powerpoints to display the daily specials and a list of rotating diner specials. I have the card setup to treat the other monitor as an extended display . Whenever one of these units get shut off (certain specials only run part of the day) the next time it is turned on there is no signal unless the computer is restarted. I feel this has something to do with the auto-detect but my google-fu failed me and I could not find the answer. Also if anyone knows how to force a custom resolution that never defaults to anything else and I would be very grateful. Thank you ahead of time! :D
 
Last edited:
Still not sure what you are trying to do. Once you setup everything the resolutions don't stay? And why is the monitor being shut off, why not just not extend the display?
 
The resolutions NEVER remember what we have them set to. They default to 1920x1080 every time. This place is open 24 hours and the daily specials stopped being served at 10 oclock at night so the daily display is turned off while the extended will continue to display food items special to our establishment.

To try and re-iterate what I am attempting to do:

2 LCD TVs hooked up via DVI to HDMI cables. Primary screen displays daily specials and extended displays establishment specific deals and foods. Whenever either TV is shut off it is auto-detected when turned back on and the resolution reset to 1920x1080. I would like to disable this auto-detect and force it to run at a resolution I specify.
 
sounds like an oddity with the card..

a couple of questions is how are both monitor setup?

is it a VGA/DVI setup or are yoU DVI/DVI?

are you using Nview or Windows built in to extend the desktop?

are you doing span or extend (Which version of windows?)

When the monitor is Turned off is the "extended" desktop disabled?

I know ATI's don't behave this way, my 4850 does exactly what you are looking for. I have a dual monitor setup and i turn my second display off all the time without it resetting the "extend" desktop feature. Even with the monitor off the windows and mouse can both be moved to the second monitor's desktop space. (This is with windows 7)
 
DVI/HDMI setup

Using the nVidia Control Panel

I am doing extended desktop under Windows Vista

If the extended desktop monitor is turned off the nVidia Control Panel states it as disabled.
 
Are you powering down the second LCD completely?

Most of the time, you won't see this behavior when you extend the display to an LCD TV that is just in sleep mode. (What just hitting the power button on newer TV remotes will do) The TV is "off" but the electronics inside are on. NV control panel will still recognize the TV as being connected to the computer and won't default to the native resolution when you want to use it.

That's just a guess though.
 
Also, what driver version are you using with that PC? If it's the latest try going back to older and older drivers until the issue is fixed. There's been a few forceware iterations that have trouble saving profile information and display setting configurations properly.
 
I am back. We tried using the button on the remote to no avail so at the moment I am downloading an older version of the forceware and see what happens. Thanks for the help everyone! I will keep you updated.
 
Downgraded the drivers. Shutting off the TV and turning it back on bring backs the screen after a few moments. I am going to keep testing out different scenarios and see what happens. Thanks again!
 
try using windows display properties/screen resolution instead of the nvidia control panel.


i run a multi monitor setup at home and have much better results this way.
 
Back
Top