How to disable driver signature checking in Vista x64?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by have2p, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. have2p

have2p Limp Gawd

I tired booting up with F8 and its still giving me an error when I try to install an unsigned driver.

Are there any other methods to disable it?

2. djnes

djnes [H]ard as it Gets

Isn't this one of the main reasons why you would have gone with Vista 64 right now?

3. have2p

have2p Limp Gawd

wait...what?!

4. djnes

djnes [H]ard as it Gets

One of the only reasons to even consider going to Vista 64 right now is for the security features. If you're going to disabled the security features, why not just use Vista 32, and avoid the hassle? Would you buy a Porsche and ask them to lower the horsepower?

5. kageon1

kageon1 Limp Gawd

Thats a really bad analogy if your trying to put it that way. More like would you much rather buy a Porsche with a stock alarm system instead of an optional upgraded alarm system. Maybe the OP prefers Vista x64 or has some hardware that has issues on Vista x32, he never listed his hardware specs. Not many drivers for Vista x64 are WHQL-certified so what's wrong about disabling checks for signed drivers? To the OP what driver are you installing?

6. FromTheLou

FromTheLou [H]ard|Gawd

7. Special note for Windows Vista x64 users: you will need to boot your Windows in a special mode every time to allow the installation and proper functionality of non WHQL-certified drivers. To do so restart your PC, and right after BIOS screen press F8 to enter special modes menu. Choose "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" and continue. Please do so prior to installing kernel mode drivers, otherwise the installation will fail.

7. Burke Hamblin

Burke Hamblin 2[H]4U

Not that it's what the OP did, but there are a lot of people who seem to be upgrading/wanting to upgrade to 64-bit because the number is double that of 32-bit, and therefore must be better. I fall into the camp of, "if you don't know why you need it, you don't need it."

8. djnes

djnes [H]ard as it Gets

That's the point I was trying to make. What's the point of going with a version designed for more security, if you're going to disable those extra features?

9. pxc

pxc [H]ard as it Gets

B3C4U53 1 N33d T0 1N574LL MY 1337 PR099135!!

edit: someone posted this a while ago: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1159219

10. defuseme2k

defuseme2k [H]ard|Gawd

http://www.vistabootpro.org

GUI interface for Vista's boot loader, I recommend going this route because it is much easier to do, and then reverse when the time comes.

djines, I agree with you about it lowering the security, but that is not the only reason to go x64. With all the driver crap going on, beta's and so on, it would be almost impossible to go about using Vista x64 unless you want to use old buggy whql drivers.

11. djnes

djnes [H]ard as it Gets

I made the same point in that thread, but I used a food analogy. I was probably hungry at the time of that posting. Mmmmmmm.....steak and crab.

12. RealCyberGhost

RealCyberGhost n00b

No the main reason to go for Vista 64 is to be able to use 4GB of RAM and a couple of Video cards in SLI.

Or even 8GB of RAM, with DDR2 prices as low as they are.

Greetz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.