How to disable driver signature checking in Vista x64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

have2p

Limp Gawd
I tired booting up with F8 and its still giving me an error when I try to install an unsigned driver.

Are there any other methods to disable it?

Isn't this one of the main reasons why you would have gone with Vista 64 right now?

One of the only reasons to even consider going to Vista 64 right now is for the security features. If you're going to disabled the security features, why not just use Vista 32, and avoid the hassle? Would you buy a Porsche and ask them to lower the horsepower?

One of the only reasons to even consider going to Vista 64 right now is for the security features. If you're going to disabled the security features, why not just use Vista 32, and avoid the hassle? Would you buy a Porsche and ask them to lower the horsepower?

Thats a really bad analogy if your trying to put it that way. More like would you much rather buy a Porsche with a stock alarm system instead of an optional upgraded alarm system. Maybe the OP prefers Vista x64 or has some hardware that has issues on Vista x32, he never listed his hardware specs. Not many drivers for Vista x64 are WHQL-certified so what's wrong about disabling checks for signed drivers? To the OP what driver are you installing?

7. Special note for Windows Vista x64 users: you will need to boot your Windows in a special mode every time to allow the installation and proper functionality of non WHQL-certified drivers. To do so restart your PC, and right after BIOS screen press F8 to enter special modes menu. Choose "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" and continue. Please do so prior to installing kernel mode drivers, otherwise the installation will fail.

Not that it's what the OP did, but there are a lot of people who seem to be upgrading/wanting to upgrade to 64-bit because the number is double that of 32-bit, and therefore must be better. I fall into the camp of, "if you don't know why you need it, you don't need it."

Not that it's what the OP did, but there are a lot of people who seem to be upgrading/wanting to upgrade to 64-bit because the number is double that of 32-bit, and therefore must be better. I fall into the camp of, "if you don't know why you need it, you don't need it."

That's the point I was trying to make. What's the point of going with a version designed for more security, if you're going to disable those extra features?

http://www.vistabootpro.org

GUI interface for Vista's boot loader, I recommend going this route because it is much easier to do, and then reverse when the time comes.

djines, I agree with you about it lowering the security, but that is not the only reason to go x64. With all the driver crap going on, beta's and so on, it would be almost impossible to go about using Vista x64 unless you want to use old buggy whql drivers.

Isn't this one of the main reasons why you would have gone with Vista 64 right now?

No the main reason to go for Vista 64 is to be able to use 4GB of RAM and a couple of Video cards in SLI.

Or even 8GB of RAM, with DDR2 prices as low as they are.

Greetz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back