• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How to Determine Max Voltages

GreatestOne

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
488
For any given mobo/bios, how do you know the max voltages from the core voltage to the chipsets to the GTL etc without frying anything? The obvious is temperature, but what if the temp stays low? Somehow I dont think I'll still feel safe raising the core to 1.7V or something at 65C on load. There are 10-15+ different voltage settings, so is there some math you can do to figure out such things? Or is is simply experience and feel?

I dont like uGuru much but it seems it automatically resets voltages after restart. and not sure exactly sure what its doing, whether it is applying safety or if it is just matching the attempted new clock setting automatically... I dont feel like I can trust that anyways.

Additional Info: (I cant get above 3.66ghz it seems... here are my current stats)

pc_specs.jpg
 
with that chip, you should easily be able to hit 4.0+ @ 1.3-1.4 volts
I would not go over 1.5 with that chip or any 45nm chip for that matter
 
The specifications are in the datasheets for the procesors and chipset chips at Intel.com and AMD.com

The primary CPU and MCH spec you are looking for is the Absolute Maximum Vcc (for Intel anyway). This is a voltage that Intel engineers have determined that for a processor family represents just what it says, The Absolute Maximum Voltage that can be fed to the CPU or MCH for reliable operation and not invalidate the warranty. Note that overclocking invalidates the warranty anyway. This number is provided for systems designers in critical applications to have an idea where limits to voltage circuits supplying the cpu should be set in failure modes etc. Lots of uses for this value and I doubt any of them concern OCing.

How is this voltage determined ? I have no personal knowledge. From Intel literature, their techical information is excellent and a lot is on their site, I gather that based on their long experience with cpu design. They have computer models that can provide a value based on the technology (type of gate and semiconductor material used, manufacturing tolerances and processes used to fabricate etc.) and not so much actually burning up some chips although I am sure a few died for the cause. So it is very possible that a chip will work at values exceeding the spec but the question is for how long.
 
Back
Top