How to create a hard copy of current BIOS?

Parker

Limp Gawd
About to install a 3.5" floppy drive to update my BIOS. I'd like to have a current copy though before doing the swap.

Most flash utilities will give you the option at the beginning to write a copy of your current BIOS. When using a floppy, make sure there is enough room on the disk. Sometimes this is not possible due to the size of the BIOS itself which means you would need a Windows based BIOS flash utility to do the backup. You could also do the new flash that way or use the floppy to do the flash.

Just remember that if you have to backup the BIOS using the Windows utility due to two BIOS ROM files not fitting on one floppy to make a second disk with the old BIOS before you flash to the current one. That way, if the new BIOS is no good, you have the old one ready to go.

While I still have a floppy drive in each of my systems and won't be taking them out anytime soon, I almost prefer to do a flash inside Windows or something like that but with a backup BIOS flash floppy handy. I prefer doing it in the OS usually because it's much faster. I don't have my systems on a UPS so if the power goes out, I'm screwed. I just prefer to lessen the chances of that by getting the BIOS flashed as quickly as possible.

Back