How to cool monitors? (Screen cooling)

lobski2

Gawd
I'm surprised we don't talk about this more often...

My W3000H-BN outputs an enormous amount of heat, and I'd like to get it cooled. I have a 120mm fan blowing at it, but its not very effective. I googled "monitor coolers" but I get nothing (new market?). How do you guys cool your monitors?

Some of the smaller laptop coolers would probably work pretty well, they're USB powered so no DC wallwarts to mess with. I would NOT use one with an LED light unless it was behind the monitor because i would not want it to mess with my color perception.

I built a small USB fan (50mm) and used that till i recently received this in the mail. It's not completely silent or anything, you can clearly hear the whoosh on the desktop, but it easily blends in with my tower noise (but def not good enough for a silent freak). I lay it on the base pointing upwards (slight angle) into the bottom vents to aid the convection cooling system that was already there. Some of the air hits the panel from the front as well.

Otherwise here's a an entire ebay section filled with different shapes and sizes: http://computers.shop.ebay.com/Laptop-Cooling-Pads-/96915/i.html?_armrs=1

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Some of the smaller laptop coolers would probably work pretty well, they're USB powered so no DC wallwarts to mess with. I would NOT use one with an LED light unless it was behind the monitor because i would not want it to mess with my color perception.

I built a small USB fan (50mm) and used that till i recently received this in the mail. It's not completely silent or anything, you can clearly hear the whoosh on the desktop, but it easily blends in with my tower noise (but def not good enough for a silent freak). I lay it on the base pointing upwards (slight angle) into the bottom vents to aid the convection cooling system that was already there. Some of the air hits the panel from the front as well.

Otherwise here's a an entire ebay section filled with different shapes and sizes: http://computers.shop.ebay.com/Laptop-Cooling-Pads-/96915/i.html?_armrs=1

I have no idea how to mount/hack those onto the back of my monitor..

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

I would guess because 130W over the huge surface area of a monitor isn't that big a deal. Are you experiencing problems with your display?

Last edited:
Never had a problems with my 3007wfp-hc...but keep it at low brightness, so there might be less heat, depending on your brightness setting. (and there are more vent holes in the back of the Dell than on the LG)

If I felt you had to cool the LG .... which I don't think is the case. I'd take a radial fan since you won't have to build an air duct to use all the airflow. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31odFfBwLIL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
http://www.noxelectronics.de/images/produkte/10372.jpg

and mount its blowing side at the existing vent holes. (i can't remember if there are some on the underside next to the inputs, if there are, I'd have it blow the air into those. If the only holes are at the top, I'd mount it on the side of that vent.
In any case keeping a little distance to the holes to allow natural convection when the van is not running or has failed.)

But, the LG manual states the the Monitor is built for operation in an environment up to 35°C, I assume at full brightness setting. So unless You are blocking the vent holes, cooling should not be needed unless it's an extremely hot summer day, in which case the operating environment would not only be uncomfortable for the monitor..

Cooling the monitor? Seriously?

While I think everyone here appreciates the value of fixing a problem that doesn't exist are you seriously actually concerned that your monitor is running too hot? Unless you have the vents blocked I just can't see this happening.

Though you do have a point about a new market. People will literally buy anything.

I have no idea how to mount/hack those onto the back of my monitor..
neither do it, but you wouldn't necessarily have to. A person would pick the shape or style that they could work with, as i mentioned i have mine sitting on top of the monitor base pointing straight up.

Some strategically placed velcro could help to rig things up.

or

Another idea would be a fuller sized FLAT laptop cooling pad and place the monitor on top of it. The monitor base would probably block two of the fans, but the third fan can be placed in a way to blow air across the front or back of the monitor (it would blow air straight up). You could always cut the lines on the two blocked fans since they're being blocked by the monitor base anyway.

But like you said, there doesn't seem to be that perfect solution designed for a monitor, so we're stuck using our creativity.

Cooling the monitor? Seriously?

While I think everyone here appreciates the value of fixing a problem that doesn't exist are you seriously actually concerned that your monitor is running too hot? Unless you have the vents blocked I just can't see this happening.
Hot running internal powersupplies are a problem in some monitors, especially my I-inc 28", which i found out after i purchased it. So i figured if i could artificially extend it's life to year or more then i'd get my money's worth. I like the monitor so i figured it was worth the trouble.

My W3000H-BN outputs an enormous amount of heat, and I'd like to get it cooled. I have a 120mm fan blowing at it, but its not very effective. I googled "monitor coolers" but I get nothing (new market?). How do you guys cool your monitors?

Open a window. You live in Canada don't you :)

Why not just use a small desk fan if you have room? I have a ceiling fan which cools the 3008WFP sufficiently enough at low RPMs.

I just think people should not have to put up with monitors/tv's that get very hot to begin with.
I would just avoid such models, thus forcing manufacturers to design cooler running units.

Also one pet peeve of mine are monitors that make electrical noise.
Never again will i put up with a noisy monitor.

My friend had tv that got so hot that it needed these really large fans in it to cool it down.
Once those fans got full of dust, you could barely hear your show over the fan noise.
In my opinion if your display needs fans, the manufacturer was lazy and could not come up with a decent design or cooling solution, and chances are its going to eventually fail.

In my opinion if your display needs fans, the manufacturer was lazy and could not come up with a decent design or cooling solution, and chances are its going to eventually fail.
Or use inefficient (cheaper) power supplies which by nature run hotter than the more efficient ones.

I just think people should not have to put up with monitors/tv's that get very hot to begin with.
My friend had tv that got so hot that it needed these really large fans in it to cool it down.

The one with the fans was likely a plasma, they get a bit hotter than LCDs (but make up for it with the picture) With the current technology, picture quality has to be bought with energy.

LCD monitors will always get hot... as the energy you put into them will never be translated fully into luminosity, even when disregarding the blocked light by the panel matrix, the efficiency of the backlight won't be much more than 10%.. so 90% will be used for heating 10% for light. (which will than mostly be blocked by the panel...)

The IPS matrix blocks more light than the other panel types, so a IPS monitor will get much hotter than a simple TN. (at the same calibrated brightness setting the 20'' IPS Lacie runs a lot hotter than the 24'' MVA LG I got next to it..)
A [cost] advantage of the new eIPS panels to sIPS is due to it blocking less backlight, decreasing the need for an extremely strong one.

If your IPS monitor runs hotter than what you're used to from other panel types, that's perfectly normal. (and won't worry anybody that has used a CRT... which could be used for keeping the coffee hot...)

Unless you exceed the operating environment temperature given in the spec.(or are unable to keep the vents clean...), there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Back