• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

how slow is a e6750 these days?

weipim

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 15, 2008
Messages
146
Sorry if I brought up a post asking on "antiques", my friend wants to get rid of his old rig and I happen to need a htpc ish computer for the living room. ( playing arcade like games, eg fifa, nba, street fighter and other things on my 1080p tv). the full spec is:

e6750
dunno what mobo
8600gt ( i'll probably throw in a 4850 1gb)
2gb ddr2 ( i'll prob. throw in another 2gb stick from my rig)
150gb hdd
no psu (pcp 750w from my rig now)
nzxt case
optical drive

he wants to sell me for 100, maybe he'll put a logitec g15 and a razer mamba

I wonder if that worth it ? what's in parentheses is not included in the 100 bucks, but i already have it from my current rig

and also if the performance can handle some okay games now a day? (no fps, just casual gaming but on 1080 res.)

thanks a lot guys
 
The G15 and Mamba are arguably worth $100 alone. If you're throwing in the extra 2gb and a 4850, you've got a very capable machine that will do the things you list. It won't exactly kill benchmarks, but for playing arcade games like fifa and street fighter, along with media playing, it'll handle that perfectly.

I was running an E6400 with a 9800GT with only 2gb of ram, doing pretty much what you want to be doing. Though I was only at 720p.

For $100, and you already have the rest of the things, I say go for it.
 
The G15 and Mamba are arguably worth $100 alone. If you're throwing in the extra 2gb and a 4850, you've got a very capable machine that will do the things you list. It won't exactly kill benchmarks, but for playing arcade games like fifa and street fighter, along with media playing, it'll handle that perfectly.

I was running an E6400 with a 9800GT with only 2gb of ram, doing pretty much what you want to be doing. Though I was only at 720p.

For $100, and you already have the rest of the things, I say go for it.
awesome, thanks mannn, i wasn't really familiar with those 6750 chips i know back in the days with conroes e6400 was killing everything haha
 
thanks for quick rep. So it worth 100$ ?

Fuck YES!

Seriously, that's a good deal for a HTPC. May not handle games too well at 1920x1080 but for $100, not a bad buy.
 
Fuck YES!

Seriously, that's a good deal for a HTPC. May not handle games too well at 1920x1080 but for $100, not a bad buy.
ha thanks a lot. i mean for "TOO WELL" i'll have to sell my kidney for not lagging in games and have ultra settings, but I think I can live without that ha. btw, your rig in sig is awesome aswell, how u like the 6850?
 
ha thanks a lot. i mean for "TOO WELL" i'll have to sell my kidney for not lagging in games and have ultra settings, but I think I can live without that ha.
Yeah that system should be fine for SC2 at the very least.

btw, your rig in sig is awesome aswell, how u like the 6850?

Haven't tested games on it yet. Been too busy :(
 
ha thanks a lot. i mean for "TOO WELL" i'll have to sell my kidney for not lagging in games and have ultra settings, but I think I can live without that ha. btw, your rig in sig is awesome aswell, how u like the 6850?

I'll expand on my answer bit, since I have a e6750, I've used it stock and to 3.2ghz OCed with a 8800gt and now a 5770 at 1920x1080.

It is fine in the sense most games will look good still and play smoothly. Now obviously if you want 40-50fps while at Max settings with 4AA/16AF in games like Metro 2033, its not fine in that sense.

But I mean for most games, ok you can't run shadows at max say, but running at medium isn't even really noticeable during actual play. Bad Company 2 for instance still looks leagues better then Battlefield 2 for me, even though of course I'm running it at lower settings technically. I run SC 2 in a mix of Ultra/High for instance, I mean am I really going to zoom in and stare at each marines shadow during a game to see the difference between high/ultra shadows?

I mean yes it'd be nice to do 4AA/16AF with literally everything maxed, but not being able to do so doesn't really make the games not enjoyable much less unplayable.

Even for a lot of relatively new games, I can play at basically max settings. Oblivion/FO3 (with graphics mods, AA/AF even) and Mass Effect 1/2 for instance.
 
I'll expand on my answer bit, since I have a e6750, I've used it stock and to 3.2ghz OCed with a 8800gt and now a 5770 at 1920x1080.

It is fine in the sense most games will look good still and play smoothly. Now obviously if you want 40-50fps while at Max settings with 4AA/16AF in games like Metro 2033, its not fine in that sense.

But I mean for most games, ok you can't run shadows at max say, but running at medium isn't even really noticeable during actual play. Bad Company 2 for instance still looks leagues better then Battlefield 2 for me, even though of course I'm running it at lower settings technically. I run SC 2 in a mix of Ultra/High for instance, I mean am I really going to zoom in and stare at each marines shadow during a game to see the difference between high/ultra shadows?

I mean yes it'd be nice to do 4AA/16AF with literally everything maxed, but not being able to do so doesn't really make the games not enjoyable much less unplayable.

Even for a lot of relatively new games, I can play at basically max settings. Oblivion/FO3 (with graphics mods, AA/AF even) and Mass Effect 1/2 for instance.
yeahh dude, you just said what i intend to, sorry abt the confusion haha
 
Lol no its fine, just giving you an idea what to expect since I'm on roughly the same setup.

If the mobo can OC btw, 3.2ghz is a fairly easy OC. I only added 0.01 to vcore for a little extra, but its stock vcore essentially using the stock cooler. I think it was a 1C?2C? higher load temp then at stock speeds.
 
this rig should be fine doing some average tasks and gaming. n' it's definitely worth the $100 price:D
 
Lol no its fine, just giving you an idea what to expect since I'm on roughly the same setup.

If the mobo can OC btw, 3.2ghz is a fairly easy OC. I only added 0.01 to vcore for a little extra, but its stock vcore essentially using the stock cooler. I think it was a 1C?2C? higher load temp then at stock speeds.
good to hear haha.

honestly what i like since the dual core era, is that nowaday even with an okay setup you can setill have really decent outcomes for your applications, unlike back in the days when an athlon xp looks so retarded in front of a pentium 2.4C
 
The E6750 is still a very decent chip for gaming.

Even though there are faster CPUs out there, the Core 2 family of CPUs was such a huge increase in performance that they will remain relevant chips for a couple of more years.

A good, solid Core 2 Quad is even better.

We have access to levels of CPU power today, that games will take years to catch up.

That's why I believe my 2600k can remain a high-end gaming chip at least 4 years into the future.

Look at the first generation of i5 and i7 CPUs. They came out in 2008, and they are still totally overkill for any game.
 
yeah I agree with you mann, the gpu seems to last a little less than the cpu, comparative. Everytime a new "concept" of graphic rendering came out, the current vc seems to be an old biatch in front of the next coming generation
 
I used to run an e6600 in my old system i started running into CPU bottlenecking issues while using a 4890.
 
Back
Top